Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
And the Fultz Lakers workout is happening. Gonna be a closed media workout, but that's still pretty impressive. Well impressive unless Boston hasn't actually promised Fultz which I just can't believe.

Luke Kennard has floated up as high as 10 on some mocks, after it came out that he is the PPP pick and roll leader in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

Former Florida State Seminoles forward Jonathan Isaac will not workout for teams picking outside of the top four of the 2017 NBA draft, according to ESPN Minnesota’s Darren Wolfson.

“I know he's worked out for the Phoenix Suns and Boston Celtics,” Wolfson said on the June 12 episode of The Scoop podcast. “I know some teams below the [Minnesota Timberwolves] are trying to get some face time with Isaac. They are swinging and missing so far.

“Jonathan Isaac will only workout for teams in the top four,” he followed in the final five minutes of the June 13 show.

Oh man we might get Josh Jackson or Ball

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Rockets worked out Bronson Koenig, doubling down on dopey white guys from Wisconsin

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I wonder if Vlade tries to get cute and take Tatum at #5 if Issac is off the board. Minnesota would take Lauri in that case? and one of Frank, DSJ, or Monk should be on the board then.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I ended up not posting my mean draft mock because I could only really get 10 deep but I absolutely have Boston picking Issac #1 on it.

It's

1. Boston - Issac ("Maybe he'll be a rim protector!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!")
2. Lakers - Ball ("He's TRANCENDENT")
3. Sixers - Fultz (He trips on Adam Silver's foot, destroying his knee completely)
4. Suns - Fox ("Kentucky guard? Yes.")
5. Kings - Giles
6. Magic - Tatum (note I have them making this pick on both the good and bad mock, but in this version they force him to be a SF)
7. Timberwolves - Justin Jackson (Justin Jackson)
8. Knicks - Jonathan Jeanne (locked in)
9. Mavs - Ntilikina (locked in)
10. Kings - TJ Leaf

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

https://waynehall.github.io/nbadraft/fultz.html

Super early version of an idea I had for a draft site. Primary focus would be on visualizing prospects versus everyone else in the same position in their draft class. Cool or no? (all the stuff in there is fake right now, probably doesn't look good on mobile or small screens cause I haven't thought about that yet).

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's a pretty good idea. If you can get the site popular enought o justify including synergy stats on college dudes that would be wonderful, since so much of that college stuff is still very hard to get hands on.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Rick did you make that list before or after the Marfan's diagnosis :[

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

I wonder if Vlade tries to get cute and take Tatum at #5 if Issac is off the board. Minnesota would take Lauri in that case? and one of Frank, DSJ, or Monk should be on the board then.

They should take Lauri but I think Thibs would still want his Point Guard and take DSJ there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Rick did you make that list before or after the Marfan's diagnosis :[

Before but also I did not change it after.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Rick posted:

Hahah i love you rick

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

They should take Lauri but I think Thibs would still want his Point Guard and take DSJ there.

I'd be super ok with this tbh

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

I figured something like that. Completely reasonable thing to expect from the team that drafted Weis after he'd been dunked upon

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

Dunn sheds a tear

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Was Dunn really that good of a prospect last year or was it the case of being the only girl at the bar

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Hahah i love you rick

Feeling is definitely mutual.

EvanTH posted:

I figured something like that. Completely reasonable thing to expect from the team that drafted Weis after he'd been dunked upon

Phil Jackson attempting to cure a terminal illness through zen and the triangle feels right.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Was Dunn really that good of a prospect last year or was it the case of being the only girl at the bar

Yes and no. There were flashes but he was hurt for the first 2 or 3? Years in college so one really good season on a mid major was what it took, and those like 8th pick sophmore/junior mid major guards had been doing well. It was a terrible pg draft, they're all in this draft, as you see. But I wouldn't give up on him yet, rookie pgs are never good, I think we combed through b ref and it's nearly impossible for a rookie pg to be anything but terrible. It doesn't help that they don't have great 3p shooting or a pure rolling man, and Dunn was a pnr guard. He wasn't projected to be an amazing player, just an okay starter.

There was Gilles Bensimmons as the top offense creator/passer, then Dunn, then Baldwin IV the king copper, who sucked in college and sucks. In between you have Jamal Murray who no one really knew could be such a high level combo guard, because Kentucky is Kentucky. Then you don't have a pg until Dejounte Murray to the Spurs at the very end of the first round.
Malcom Brogdon was picked in the second and he had by far the best rookie season of anyone who played pg minutes, although he is 24 years young.

Dunn looked really good in summer league, which means that he's at least an NBA player of some kind.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Super early version of an idea I had for a draft site. Primary focus would be on visualizing prospects versus everyone else in the same position in their draft class. Cool or no? (all the stuff in there is fake right now, probably doesn't look good on mobile or small screens cause I haven't thought about that yet).

It's cool

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Lemme know if I can help, i love it. I can code a lil bit, but mostly offering some graphic design (not pro) aid. I've been wanting to make a draft/rookies site for a while.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Dunn was an alright prospect and I think most people had him going earlier. He was a senior, though he had two good years at Providence. He just couldn't hit a thing in the pros. He is legit a great defensive PG, but he's a good case study that a PG who is great defensively but terrible offensively is far less valuable than the inverse.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ringer's draft guide now has Tatum at #2, Josh Jackson at #6, and the Bolden hype train at #16

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Ringer's draft guide now has Tatum at #2, Josh Jackson at #6, and the Bolden hype train at #16

Being dumb is one way to drive views.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Lockback posted:

he's a good case study that a PG who is great defensively but terrible offensively is far less valuable than the inverse.

Considering PG is about the least important position, defensively, it shouldn't really be surprise to anyone. Like, I understand that it's hard not to fall in love with hustle, active hands, good feet, and long arms, but all the elite teams have at least 2 pressure releases that even if your PG is playing great denial, they'll just inbound or pass it to one of the other ballhandlers they have.

Is the only utility for an all-D no-O PG these days contributing to feasting on lovely teams?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

ButtWolf posted:

Lemme know if I can help, i love it. I can code a lil bit, but mostly offering some graphic design (not pro) aid. I've been wanting to make a draft/rookies site for a while.

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. I'm kinda weaker on the design side, so I might hit you up on that. I originally started this thinking to myself "NBADraft.nets site looks like it was made by a high schooler in 2005, I wonder what a redesign would look like". I'm not sure what backend I'll use yet, most familiar with Django but I might try node since I need to learn it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

chunkles posted:

Rockets worked out Bronson Koenig, doubling down on dopey white guys from Wisconsin
Koenigs half American Indian, hes part of the Ho Chunk nation

I remember reading this article at some point
http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/bronson-koenig-embraces-being-role-model-for-american-indians-b99437027z1-290605481.html/?ipad=y

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. I'm kinda weaker on the design side, so I might hit you up on that. I originally started this thinking to myself "NBADraft.nets site looks like it was made by a high schooler in 2005, I wonder what a redesign would look like". I'm not sure what backend I'll use yet, most familiar with Django but I might try node since I need to learn it.

Django rules node does not

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Being dumb is one way to drive views.

Man I wish I could remember where I read that article from some Buzzfeed-style Churnalist who said the best way to drive clicks and comments was to be deliberately wrong on the top end of your listicle. Make a 20 Best Movies Of All Time list, copy some uncontroversial IMDB list for 20-2 then throw something like Legally Blonde 2 in for #1 and all-of-a-sudden hundreds of people are creating commenting accounts for your website.

eh maybe it's better I don't remember how to give that guy clicks

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Django rules node does not

Django rules node gets you jobs in my area tho :-(

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Considering PG is about the least important position, defensively, it shouldn't really be surprise to anyone. Like, I understand that it's hard not to fall in love with hustle, active hands, good feet, and long arms, but all the elite teams have at least 2 pressure releases that even if your PG is playing great denial, they'll just inbound or pass it to one of the other ballhandlers they have.

Is the only utility for an all-D no-O PG these days contributing to feasting on lovely teams?

I mean if you can at least hit a wide open 3 once in a while or pass really well or just handle the ball somewhat decently, they can find a place for you on a roster. As long as defense isn't literally your only skill (like ONLY) then someone will probably give you 15 minutes a game just to disrupt an offense.

In theory if you were a good enough defender you could probably make a difference without contributing on offense as a PG but it's hard to think of players like that. Like I guess if Gary Payton had two bottles of Olde English duct taped to his hands he still would've gotten solid minutes

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

I just checked and they have Lonzo Ball at #2 so I'm confused as to what you looked at.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Declan MacManus posted:

I mean if you can at least hit a wide open 3 once in a while or pass really well or just handle the ball somewhat decently, they can find a place for you on a roster. As long as defense isn't literally your only skill (like ONLY) then someone will probably give you 15 minutes a game just to disrupt an offense.

In theory if you were a good enough defender you could probably make a difference without contributing on offense as a PG but it's hard to think of players like that. Like I guess if Gary Payton had two bottles of Olde English duct taped to his hands he still would've gotten solid minutes

I've been trying to figure out how good Donovan Mitchell can be and "defensive-minded combo guard" isn't the best archetype to fall into. Marcus Smart is ok I guess?

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just checked and they have Lonzo Ball at #2 so I'm confused as to what you looked at.

WR is apparently looking at Kevin O'Connor's board.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

I've been trying to figure out how good Donovan Mitchell can be and "defensive-minded combo guard" isn't the best archetype to fall into. Marcus Smart is ok I guess?

Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley, PatBev, George Hill.... Lots of decent players in that ilk, though they all have some sort of offensive skill.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Andre Robeson is the only guy I can think of with literally no offensive skill that gets regular minutes on the perimeter and even then he used to hit a few threes and crashed the gently caress out of the boards against the Rockets

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Sixers beat writers going nuts over the Monk workout today. Way more hyperbolic praise (and coverage in general) than any other prospect so far.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol Ball Fall 2017

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kiimo posted:

lol Ball Fall 2017

The Lakers are trying to smokescreen so they can trade down and grab Ball at 5

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I still like Dunn, he started to hit shots at an NBA-Competent level at the end of the season and if he can keep that going, he has a shot of being pretty good.

But, I recall similar things being said about Mudiay.

RIP Drive and Kick guard.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dunn's best case scenario as far as I'm concerned is a shooting guard that can't shoot but also the guy he's guarding can't anymore either

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Mudiay can't hit a layup to save his life. Dunn at least has The Look which will give him 12th man bench spots for the rest of his days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

Andre Robeson is the only guy I can think of with literally no offensive skill that gets regular minutes on the perimeter and even then he used to hit a few threes and crashed the gently caress out of the boards against the Rockets

Dre has offensive skills he just can't shoot

• Locked thread