Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
A think a lot of it comes from trying to find ways to make those characters useful on the team and not redundant. You've already got Batman, Batwoman, Clayface, and Cass who could probably handle just about any threat, so the others have to have their own niche. I think they probably should have gone the route of Steph having a bunch of weird gadgets like her gooperangs from her Batgirl series rather than just being tech genius lite, but it's better than her sitting on the sidelines because Cass already beat up everyone for her I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I started reading DC comics again because of a video game and I like Red Hood even more now that I know he makes nerds super mad

Namaste and God bless

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That's kind of sad

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

He makes some nerds downright horny

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark Days/Metal one-shots about a 'Dark Multiverse' fused-Batmans invasion (or something) and a Gotham Resistance crossover miniseries.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/16/batman-vs-gotham-resistance-for-dark-night-metal-one-shots/ (BC broke it. No further details yet.)
EDIT: Official press - https://www.newsarama.com/34949-7-evil-dark-universe-batman-justicer-leaguer-mash-ups-coming-in-dark-nights-metal-specials.html

September 13th: Teen Titans #12: Gotham Resistance #12 by Benjamin Percy and Mirka Andolfo.
Nightwing #29: Gotham Resistance by Tim Seeley and Paul Pelletier
Suicide Squad #26 : Gotham Resistance by Rob Williams and Stjepan Sejic

September 20th: Batman: The Red Death #1, by Joshua Williamson and Carmine Di Giandomenico

September 27th: Batman: The Murder Machine #1 by Frank Tieri and Ricardo Federici

October 4th: Batman: The Dawnbreaker #1 by Sam Humphries and Ethan Van Sciver

October 18: Batman: The Drowned #1 by Dan Abnett and Philip Tan

October 25th: Batman: The Merciless #1 by Peter J. Tomasi and Francis Manapul

November 1st: Batman: The Devastator #1 Creative team TBA

November 15th: The Batman Who Laughs #1 Creative team TBA.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 16, 2017

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Wow that looks absolutely horrible.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's a whole lot of one shots

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are Green Arrow and Canary in the Suicide Squad now?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, the big bads of Metal will be an army of Batmen with superpowers. I think I've read a fanfic like that once :v:

Ok so

Teenage Fansub posted:

September 20th: Batman: The Red Death #1, by Joshua Williamson and Carmine Di Giandomenico

Batman Flash

quote:

September 27th: Batman: The Murder Machine #1 by Frank Tieri and Ricardo Federici

Batman Cyborg

quote:

October 4th: Batman: The Dawnbreaker #1 by Sam Humphries and Ethan Van Sciver

Batman Lantern

quote:

October 18: Batman: The Drowned #1 by Dan Abnett and Philip Tan

Batman Aquaman

quote:

October 25th: Batman: The Merciless #1 by Peter J. Tomasi and Francis Manapul
Batman Ares

quote:

November 1st: Batman: The Devastator #1 Creative team TBA

Batman Doomsday? gently caress if I know.

quote:

November 15th: The Batman Who Laughs #1 Creative team TBA.

Will this Batman Joker surpass the classic I, Joker?

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Ever since THE NEW 52 and Morrison leaving Batman I've pretty much left DC, only to check in on the thread and see if there's anything new to pique my interest. Based off of the above, I'll see you guys in six months. Do let me know how Doomsday Batman goes.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

If retcons, creative shakeups, and dumb events send you packing, then DC/Marvel won't be your bag, period.

...May I interest you in the consistent quality of Valiant Comics?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I’m content with the several good DC books I have now which is a huge improvement over the wasteland that was New 52. As long as dumb poo poo like these Dark Days and Metal books don’t encroach on them I’ll stay happy.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Donde Esta posted:

Ever since THE NEW 52 and Morrison leaving Batman I've pretty much left DC, only to check in on the thread and see if there's anything new to pique my interest. Based off of the above, I'll see you guys in six months. Do let me know how Doomsday Batman goes.

Shame on anyone who's not excited for Batman vs Elmer Fudd.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I want to be optimistic because there's only one book in the event so far and it's pretty good, but jeez. I just don't see what good story would possibly need all those tie in comics to tell. Reminds me of Convergence all over again.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I was hoping that picture of the resistance was going to be an actual team, because that would probably rule. Harley/Croc, and Ollie/Dinah as temporary Bat Family could've been fun.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I might be in the minority here, but I find Detective to be really really underwhelming. Like I'm not interested in it at all. Only reason I got it at all was because I forgot to take it off my pulls and I didn't check what I bought. BUT...I love the poo poo out of Zatanna so I can't drop it under this storyarc is over. That was the issue's only saving grace.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Space Fish posted:

If retcons, creative shakeups, and dumb events send you packing, then DC/Marvel won't be your bag, period.

...May I interest you in the consistent quality of Valiant Comics?

I love event books -- Blackest Night totally let me down (and was just a zombie cash-in) and Flashpoint killed off all the things that I liked. I gave the new 52 an honest try - read most of Lemire Animal Man and read the first Wonder Woman arc. I was a total DC fanboy, and I'm pretty sure they thrived on one or two character titles and event books. Granted some are better than others.

Marvel's got enough going on that I like some of it and it holds my attention - Marvel Unlimited helps in that I can sample a bit of everything and drop in on stuff, and pickup the titles I like. I have typically enjoyed most of their events, minus Fear Itself.

Anywho - what's going on Valiant comics that's good? I think the last smaller title I followed was Sweet Tooth (is Vertigo even around anymore?), and that was loving ages ago.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Too. Many. One. Shots. Ugh.

Honestly I am more disappointed by those creative teams than the fact that those books exist. The only teams I am interested in is Peter J. Tomasi and Francis Manapul, and possibly of "TBA". Anyway, if I don't hear anything positive about them I won't be picking them up.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-all-st...BR-TW&view=list

All Star Batman is ending on September but Snyder says it will continue on a different format in the near future.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm imagining we'll get the remaining stories in Rage of Ultron style short hardcover graphic novels.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Lot of good band names in those one-shots.

HELLO WE ARE THE MURDER MACHINE, THIS ONE'S CALLED "DARK DAYS METAL", ONE TWO THREE FOUR

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm imagining we'll get the remaining stories in Rage of Ultron style short hardcover graphic novels.

Didn't DC say they want to do more original graphic novels? Like Multiversity Too and more Earth One Wonde Woman?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Open Marriage Night posted:

Didn't DC say they want to do more original graphic novels? Like Multiversity Too and more Earth One Wonde Woman?

My library would really appreciate it if they did this.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CapnAndy posted:

It'll probably come up again in Doomsday Clock or something but I'm still hoping against hope that the deafening silence on the issue means that everyone saw how truly stupid the idea was and it'll never be mentioned again.

Yup

quote:

“Geoff [Johns] was great about walking us through what the plan is for upcoming ‘Three Jokers’ storyline and giving us the breathing room for what we wanted to do. Just to be clear to readers, this is not going to answer the ‘Three Jokers’ question” Snyder said. “That’s really for Geoff — he has a big story planned for that — but what it will do is show us the way that The Joker, like he did during my entire time on Batman, is always there as the Greek chorus of the book, saying to Batman, in one way or another, ‘You’re doing it wrong,’ or, ‘You’re doing it right. This is what needs to happen. This is who you are.”

http://www.cbr.com/scott-snyder-joker-batman-dark-nights-metal/

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Okay so after watching a small marathon of Young Justice, I really want return to some classic League vs. super villain action. I want to see the return of the Secret Society and not the stupid New 52 Crime Syndicate one.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Donde Esta posted:

Anywho - what's going on Valiant comics that's good? I think the last smaller title I followed was Sweet Tooth (is Vertigo even around anymore?), and that was loving ages ago.

Vertigo's still kicking - check out Sheriff of Babylon, Clean Room, and Unfollow (in that order of quality, imo) for some great recent stuff. Young Animal's generally good too, especially Doom Patrol and Shade The Changing Girl.

If you enjoyed Jeff Lemire's Sweeth Tooth, you might also like his latest original graphic novel Roughneck, or his collaboration with Dustin Nguyen over at Image called Descender.

Valiant's lineup is pretty consistently good. If you want series to collide in well-planned events, then start with Harbinger and Bloodshot, leading up to the event Harbinger War, then toss in some X-O Manowar before moving on to Armor Hunters. Valiant's collected editions are the best way to read their events, as they put all the issues in order so everything unfolds more or less chronologically. The Valiant and Divinity are relatively standalone books that have served as gateways for new readers who want to preview several characters at once, though Divinity has grown into a great trilogy (and soon to be more...).

For a lighter touch, go with Quantum & Woody and Archer & Armstrong, who later cross over with The Delinquents, which is excellent on every level.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Young Animal plug. You get to read about Mad Dog there!!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789182&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

edit:
Crazyass Nick Bradshaw lenticular cover for Action Comics #987

Hard at this resolution, but any clues in there? Looks like a bunch of random aliens.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jun 17, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
nice to see maitreya from supergod being brought into the dcu

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like Peter David Aquaman is getting tpb collections starting this year. :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Ssnyder1835/status/875797893034250242/photo/1
Check the composition

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 17, 2017

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Batman: Thumb of the Justice League

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Well, at least they won't get sued by Gene Simmons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That is loving excellent.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's funny to me that Green Lantern is just there, random meat of your palm.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Young Animal plug. You get to read about Mad Dog there!!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789182&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

edit:
Crazyass Nick Bradshaw lenticular cover for Action Comics #987

Hard at this resolution, but any clues in there? Looks like a bunch of random aliens.

Forgot about Bradshaw. What's he been up to? No wrestling jokes, Gavok.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His recent Spidey was really neat looking.
It's weird that he's on that main cover since his slightly cartoonish figures probably won't match the inside at all, but I'll be pumped if he gets interior work any time soon.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I wish the comic was about the Justice League starting a metal garage cover band.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
That metal cover sucks.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

That metal cover sucks.

The composition is cool, but Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Superman look really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Codependent Poster posted:

The composition is cool, but Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Superman look really bad.

Not really.