Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The most exciting part of Portrait of Ruin was when I got a move that let me summon Simon Belmont because it reminded me of a much better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I only played like 1/4 of Order and I was like "Yep it's another DS Castlevania" and put it down, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair to it.

It's easily the best of the 3, you should go back to it at some point if you can.

Quest For Glory II posted:

what about the ps2 ones

as a fan of the PS2 games, what about the ps2 ones

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

man i'm hating how little i remember of these castlevania games because i did really like a lot of them while i was playing them but that was probably close to a decade ago for some of them at this point. i remember liking portrait of ruin well enough but the only memory i have is throwing custard pies at julius i think?

Julius isn't in that one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

as a fan of the PS2 games, what about the ps2 ones
i've actually never played the ps2 ones but i was curious

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

man i'm hating how little i remember of these castlevania games because i did really like a lot of them while i was playing them but that was probably close to a decade ago for some of them at this point. i remember liking portrait of ruin well enough but the only memory i have is throwing custard pies at julius i think?

Lurdiak posted:

You fight Richter at one point in Portrait to unlock the power of the vampire killer, and because he's holy and the cream pie attack is dark it's surprisingly effective against him.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

apparently i'm thinking of a boss called "whip's memory"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Portrait was just really, really dull in its level and enemy designs, final boss aside. I never really felt like I was exploring so much as just going in a straight line until I hit a boss. I also feel it was by far one of the most stat-heavy games in the series, where fighting an enemy has almost nothing to do with skill and everything to do with what level you're at. I know you can level that charge at almost every Castlevania after Symphony, but it felt by far the worst of them. Despite the weapon and spell variety I just kind of mashed my way through most battles and it was unchallenging and boring. I also thought the story was dull as dish water, even by the low standards of the series.

Something about the animations in the game suck, too. In particular, Jonathan swings his weapons really half-heartedly. Maybe it's supposed to make him look like he's too cool for school, but it just kind of makes him look like he sucks.

I only played like 1/4 of Order and I was like "Yep it's another DS Castlevania" and put it down, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair to it.

In Portrait I mostly liked playing with Charlotte because I found her various magics to be a lot of fun.

You should try Order again it really does a lot of cool things. It does take a while before you actually get to the big castle though, if that was a turn off.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

important e3 news (to me)

I'm not sure how much I would be willing to pay for one level from a game I really like that makes me motion sick every time I play it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i liked order of ecclesia enough that i got all the medals for taking no damage during bosses on a physical nintendo ds so no savestates but the only bosses i can remember are tower crab and sand fish, also i burnt out and stopped playing a portion of the way into dracula's castle

i think i have alzheimers

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cowcaster, as depicted by kate beaton:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i've actually never played the ps2 ones but i was curious

Oh.

They're generally less well regarded then the 2D games because IGA was never given a large budget and the 3D games tended to eat into that budget faster I think.

I like them but they both involve pretty rampant asset reuse, Lament with a ton of samey small corridors and Curse with tons of bloated areas that take forever to traverse, and both games re-use enemy models to the point where the same enemy will have separate entries in the monster book for different strengths, like level 27 skeleton being regarded differently from a level 1 skeleton.

The main plusses to both of them being Michiru Yamane making compositions on a console, you get to listen to the following as a bonus after beating LoI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJKNpY15Z7g

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 15, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The big issue with Order is the maps aren't very good. There's a handful that are pretty decent, but a bunch are just straight linear paths or recycled tilesets. Drac's castle isn't real great either, lotta usage of the same tile sets again. Rest of the game is really good though, so it's still my favorite of that whole series.

I have a hard time placing SotN against the other games though, as much great stuff is in that game it's kind of a mess, has 0 challenge to it, and the inverted castle is a drag.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I don't know what Flavour Nexus is so I'm just gonna go ahead and assume it's a Guy Fieri MMO.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Cowcaster posted:

cowcaster, as depicted by kate beaton:

Sorry about you husband :(

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So yeah my Castlevania Rankings are, in no particular order:

Good: Castlevania, Dracula's Curse, Super Castlevania 4, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, Bloodlines, Belmont's Revenge, The Adventure Rebirth, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, Chronicles, Dracula X(being generous here)

Bad: Harmony of Dissonance, Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia (maybe), Portrait of Ruin, Simon's Quest, Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, Harmony of Despair, The Adventure, Legends, Castlevania 64, Legacy of Darkness (so close to not sucking)

Didn't really play: Haunted Castle

Don't even count: The Lords of Shadow games, Judgment, Pachislot

So yeah IGA's got 2 good ones and at least 5 bad ones (gonna be generous and say no one could've made Harmony of Despair work since it was a cash-in, and Order may be secretly good). That's why I don't have any faith in Bludstaind. That and pretty much everything he's ever said in interviews.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 15, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As far as I'm concerned as long as you stay away from The Adventure, Legends, Haunted Castle, and the DLC for Lords of Shadow 1 you're fine. Those are abominations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That's basically exactly how I'd break them down as well, other than Order being extremely good.

Haven't played The Adventure Rebirth or Belmont's Revenge though.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Aww there was a tiny little bat stuck on the floor at work. I was afraid it was sick and dying but apparently it just needed somebody to toss it out the window so it could get some air under its wings :3:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

tap my mountain posted:

Aww there was a tiny little bat stuck on the floor at work. I was afraid it was sick and dying but apparently it just needed somebody to toss it out the window so it could get some air under its wings :3:

Good job idiot you resurrected Dracula

I hope you have a whip ready

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

That's basically exactly how I'd break them down as well, other than Order being extremely good.

Haven't played The Adventure Rebirth or Belmont's Revenge though.

The Adventure Rebirth is a fun throwback but it's nothing spectacular. The TMNT IV orchestra hits in the Castlevania music really throw me off, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV_HESv4mfs

tap my mountain posted:

Alucard will repay this kindness in your time of need.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Ends up this was his lesser known cousin, Alacurd

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

tap my mountain posted:

Ends up this was his lesser known cousin, Alacurd

I would be totally ok with Alucard having a lazy overweight cousin ala Mycroft Holmes.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Ends up this was his lesser known cousin, Alucart

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Come to think about it, I'd probably reject my father's legacy and try to kill him in a boss battle too if he decided to name me with his name spelt backwards.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Red Bones posted:

Come to think about it, I'd probably reject my father's legacy and try to kill him in a boss battle too if he decided to name me with his name spelt backwards.

His actual name is Adrian Fahrenheit Tepes

I shouldn't know this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Genya Arikado

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Phantasium posted:

His actual name is Adrian Fahrenheit Tepes

I shouldn't know this.

So his estranged brother should be Celsius Tepes

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Maybe? The first time I played Dawn/Aria I didn't grind souls at all and had a good time. It's not really something you have to do unless you want to become overpowered.

I guess you're out of luck if you're an obsessive completionist though.

Dawn's map has far fewer weapons strewn about than other games (except maybe sotn?) so you gotta deal with the crafting if you wanna keep up

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

all this talk reminds me of the boss battle music from dawn of sorrow that sounds like it was ripped from mega man 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBKM5F89MVE

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dawn was garbage because of the dumbass touchscreen integration you had to do in order to kill a boss; my hate for it is partly because I only played it emulated and the touchscreen functionality was iffy but I had to refight that stupid clocktower boss like five times because it wouldn't take the inputs

gently caress dawn of sorrow, Order is by far the best castlevania

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that's a piping hot take from 2005 right there

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i guess it's mostly the emulator at fault but w/e

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgq3k2qCZgg

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Dawn was garbage because of the dumbass touchscreen integration you had to do in order to kill a boss; my hate for it is partly because I only played it emulated and the touchscreen functionality was iffy but I had to refight that stupid clocktower boss like five times because it wouldn't take the inputs

gently caress dawn of sorrow, Order is by far the best castlevania

:lol: okay buddy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

So yeah my Castlevania Rankings are, in no particular order:

Good: Castlevania, Dracula's Curse, Super Castlevania 4, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, Bloodlines, Belmont's Revenge, The Adventure Rebirth, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, Chronicles, Dracula X(being generous here)

Bad: Harmony of Dissonance, Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia (maybe), Portrait of Ruin, Simon's Quest, Lament of Innocence, Curse of Darkness, Harmony of Despair, The Adventure, Legends, Castlevania 64, Legacy of Darkness (so close to not sucking)

Didn't really play: Haunted Castle

Don't even count: The Lords of Shadow games, Judgment, Pachislot

So yeah IGA's got 2 good ones and at least 5 bad ones (gonna be generous and say no one could've made Harmony of Despair work since it was a cash-in, and Order may be secretly good). That's why I don't have any faith in Bludstaind. That and pretty much everything he's ever said in interviews.
bloodstained'll be good, much like how wickedhate getting banned was good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i guess it's mostly the emulator at fault but w/e

it's such a weird vestigial thing to get upset over, both when the game came out and even more so now. it's like calling the witcher 3 the shittiest game ever made because the signs aren't arranged in alphabetical order on the quickswap wheel.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

They need should make a Twin Peaks game in the vein of that weird Pacman game where you lead Pacman around a with a slingshot, but with Dougie Jones instead.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Who likes collectors editions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endorph posted:

bloodstained'll be good, much like how wickedhate getting banned was good

Not sure how those two things are related.

• Locked thread