Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Are we supposed to understand what was going on with the stairs and ladders, or is Dougie's boss the only one who could possibly interpret that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Music Theory posted:

Are we supposed to understand what was going on with the stairs and ladders, or is Dougie's boss the only one who could possibly interpret that?

I thought the implication was some kind of insurance scam is going on and Dougie's buddy who looked worried when he was going into the office is in on it.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 15, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think its roofs and ladders

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought the implication was some kind of insurance scam is going on and Dougie's buddy who looked worried when he was going into the office is in on it.

The left-facing hook shape coupled with the boxing poster made me think it had something to do with the boss's history as a world class boxer.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I admit, I watch this show on my 'loving phone'. :smith:
Such a sadness!

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
If you watch on "your loving phone", I think more of the concern with Lynch is missing on the sounds.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
What's the best phone for viewing the new 2 peaks anways?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

try the new taco place posted:

If you watch on "your loving phone", I think more of the concern with Lynch is missing on the sounds.

I use headphones.

I'm not completely ignorant :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I use headphones.

I'm not completely ignorant :colbert:
You will never in a trillion years experience Twin Peaks!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I mean, that is still dumb as hell

40" 4k TVs are like 300 bucks y'all

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I got my phone free from Sprint and all I have to do to watch something is prop it up against the box from my totinos

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

moist turtleneck posted:

I got my phone free from Sprint and all I have to do to watch something is prop it up against the box from my totinos

Totinos come in bags now, trap sprung

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think the thing with Dougie's boss might just be Cooper's natural investigative intuition and sense of goodness coming to the top. He's in there and fighting. :unsmith:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think all the good guy main characters in the dougie-verse are aspects of coop!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Little Mac posted:

I think the thing with Dougie's boss might just be Cooper's natural investigative intuition and sense of goodness coming to the top. He's in there and fighting. :unsmith:

!eid t'nod !eid t'nod !EID T'NOD

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/status/875423142625366017

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

He owns so much

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What is this and where is this from? Background looks like the Simpsons.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Confounding Factor posted:

What is this and where is this from? Background looks like the Simpsons.

It's from the Simpsons, but I can't remember if it's from a normal ep or the clip show ep hosted by Troy McClure.

E:VVV I think that's it.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 15, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think it's the episode where Homer becomes a food critic and they go to a knock-off Hard Rock Cafe that has Hans Moleman's car stuck in the facade.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Franchescanado posted:

It's problematic, because someone posted the shot of him from FWWM, and the scene ends with an electrical pole with a large 6 and a series of smaller numbers, and the new episode featured a reverse of the same exact shot after the child died, same telephone line, same numbers, but now it's in Twin Peaks.

edit: for Poster's credit

i know this is from a few pages ago, but I don't think it's problematic at all. In fact, I think it finally proves that Chet Desmond was either taken to the lodge or otherwise displaced by it.

We know now that the Lodge uses electricity as a transport / influence mechanism. That phone / power pole seems to be a manifestation of or something created by the Lodge, the Arm spelled it out as explicitly as things ever get spelled out in Lynch land. It doesn't seem strange to me that it would show up in multiple places where there's Lodge activity. There's a theory on Reddit that the pole is actually the real-world physical manifestation of the Arm itself, which I think makes sense. The arm sounds like this (woopwoopwoopwoopwoop) and the only other time we hear that sound is when we pan up the pole in FWWM.

tl;dr: the pole teleports and it's fine because Lynch.

also, I think Balthazar is the magician in the FWWM poem, and I think the Horne kid unwittingly became an agent of the lodge as soon as he met him. Fire walks with him now.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 15, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
also, as tedious as Dougie can get at times, Dale can not come back until we've had a scene with Andy and Dougie together. It will be the best scene in the series.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Andy: Cooper, remember me?
Cooper: Remember me
Andy: of course I do Cooper!! It's me, Andy!!

And the rest is obvious, but it goes on for nine minutes

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I heard that later this season that Janey gives up and just makes dougie wear a diaper

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Capntastic posted:

Andy: Cooper, remember me?
Cooper: Remember me
Andy: of course I do Cooper!! It's me, Andy!!

And the rest is obvious, but it goes on for nine minutes

[music plays]

"Me, Andy."
"No, I'm Andy."
"I'm Andy."
"No, no, I'm Andy and you're Cooper"
"You're Cooper"

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Episode 18 Wally Brando takes Dougie Jones on a motocycle ride.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Magic Hate Ball posted:

[music plays]

"Me, Andy."
"No, I'm Andy."
"I'm Andy."
"No, no, I'm Andy and you're Cooper"
"You're Cooper"

I think it should be this music instead, but yeah.

in fact, where the gently caress is that theme? it was my favorite theme in the series.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think when cooper returns the original show's music will return with a vengeance!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If he comes back, calling it now. His first words are going to be "Where's Annie?"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Baloogan posted:

I think when cooper returns the original show's music will return with a vengeance!

It's the only thing I miss, really. I like the bands at the end but the new season just doesn't use music the way Lynch used to.

Like that scene in the bar in FWWM where this track is playing and it's so loud in the mix that it's practically its own character. I love Lynch's sound design but the score is so sparse now it feels almost unfinished.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
also, moira kelly was the better donna. fight me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i know this is from a few pages ago, but I don't think it's problematic at all. In fact, I think it finally proves that Chet Desmond was either taken to the lodge or otherwise displaced by it.

We know now that the Lodge uses electricity as a transport / influence mechanism. That phone / power pole seems to be a manifestation of or something created by the Lodge, the Arm spelled it out as explicitly as things ever get spelled out in Lynch land. It doesn't seem strange to me that it would show up in multiple places where there's Lodge activity. There's a theory on Reddit that the pole is actually the real-world physical manifestation of the Arm itself, which I think makes sense. The arm sounds like this (woopwoopwoopwoopwoop) and the only other time we hear that sound is when we pan up the pole in FWWM.

tl;dr: the pole teleports and it's fine because Lynch.

also, I think Balthazar is the magician in the FWWM poem, and I think the Horne kid unwittingly became an agent of the lodge as soon as he met him. Fire walks with him now.

In that quote, I said "it's problematic" because that shot from FWWM was in Oregon, not in Twin Peaks, but someone clarified that it was retconned in the book. I wasn't saying telephone poles are problematic.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Franchescanado posted:

In that quote, I said "it's problematic" because that shot from FWWM was in Oregon, not in Twin Peaks, but someone clarified that it was retconned in the book. I wasn't saying telephone poles are problematic.

They are though. So phallic.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Franchescanado posted:

No, I mean, the telephone pole isn't a telephone pole. It's the Arm, and it moves. It was never in Oregon, or Twin Peaks, and also it is in both places. It's a conduit to the Lodge of some sort. Whether the book retconned it or not, it's definitely not retconned in the series or else Lynch wouldn't be using the exact same pole with the same numbers. It's all way too specific to be a continuity error.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

No, I mean, the telephone pole isn't a telephone pole. It's the Arm, and it moves. It was never in Oregon, or Twin Peaks, and also it is in both places. It's a conduit to the Lodge of some sort. Whether the book retconned it or not, it's definitely not retconned in the series or else Lynch wouldn't be using the exact same pole with the same numbers. It's all way too specific to be a continuity error.

I mean, that's a neat theory, but it A) sounds too literal to be Lynch, and B) I personally don't think it's a safe conclusion to jump to based off of the shot. It could also be implied that the child's spirit was rising up from the body and going to the White Lodge, fueled by the electricity of the pole. So, I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't agree. Lynch reused the imagery (or actually reversed it), yeah, but he's revisiting a lot of imagery from the original show. The white horse from FWWM was in an episode as well, I'm not going to jump on the idea that it's actually Sonny Jim or something.

Currently, the book sets up the frame work for the show, so it's within the series, it's "canon". It's not necessary to read to get the full story, but it's certainly as much canon as episode 3.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Like that scene in the bar in FWWM where this track is playing and it's so loud in the mix that it's practically its own character. I love Lynch's sound design but the score is so sparse now it feels almost unfinished.

Man when I saw FWWM at the Alamo drafthouse this song was so goddamn loud it was nearly deafening. It helped convey how disorienting the place was but it was almost painful.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The only thing kind of taking me out of the Dougie scenes is his weird ability to hold onto his (pretty complicated) job. But then I remember that this is David Lynch and just go with it.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Lodge powers are really good. I can't wait special agent Dale Cooper, spiritually awakened, to save the day.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

The only thing kind of taking me out of the Dougie scenes is his weird ability to hold onto his (pretty complicated) job. But then I remember that this is David Lynch and just go with it.

It's been like two days. People that high up don't get fired that quickly unless he does something illegal that can't be covered up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
no show no call

no cooper :getin: