Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, this is actually how I saw it. Perhaps the end justifies the means?

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions." - Vince Gilligan on this week's podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

TBeats posted:

The writers speak as if they didn't write it. That was my point.

The way they speak about the show they would fit in posting in this thread.

I wonder how often on BB they had to ask "would he sink this low?" Compared to BCS where they seem to be constantly asking "is he there yet?"

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.
I think the best way I can give Jimmy the benefit of the doubt in regard to Irene is to assume (maybe incorrectly) that he didn't imagine the reaction of the other ladies would be what it was. I would prefer to think he was expecting straightforward peer pressure: "Come on, Irene. Take the offer before we all croak. It's best for everyone."

"Oh. Well...okay."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Riptor posted:

Kim crashed her car in celebration of a job well done

Jimmy, I helped the oilman and he gave me lots of oil money. I crashed my car so I could go buy a new one.

Do you think they crashed the actual car Kim uses in the show? I remember in Dexter, his sister crashed her car so badly that it went from being an E46 3 series to an E36.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I think the best way I can give Jimmy the benefit of the doubt in regard to Irene is to assume (maybe incorrectly) that he didn't imagine the reaction of the other ladies would be what it was. I would prefer to think he was expecting straightforward peer pressure: "Come on, Irene. Take the offer before we all croak. It's best for everyone."

"Oh. Well...okay."

I could buy this if he showed any sort of remorse, but he didn't. Not one shred.

He looked more sorry when he told Walt he couldn't help him anymore at the vacuum store.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho

Secret Agent X23 posted:

"Oh. Well...okay."

I could totally see it playing that way in Jimmy's head, but when it didn't go that way that's when he decided to rig the bingo game. He didn't have to do that, but he knew it would embarrass her and he wanted to ramp up the pressure to get a settlement fast. That's what makes it mean.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

It felt a bit like Walter White, to me. Perhaps very obviously so.

I.e. Jimmy isn't a very good person and is coldly manipulating fragile elderly people. It's about the lowest of the low.

I have a feeling Howard may have the last laugh in all of this.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Howard somehow became the character I root for the most and I barely even know how it happened

"You're like Gollum"

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sulman posted:

I dunno, Vince has a way of giving the least culpable people the harshest concequences for their loved one's heinous actions.

See: Mary Schrader, Walter Jr., Steve Gomez, Kim Wexler

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Sulman posted:

It felt a bit like Walter White, to me. Perhaps very obviously so.

I.e. Jimmy isn't a very good person and is coldly manipulating fragile elderly people. It's about the lowest of the low.

But in his mind he is doing what he has to do to survive!

Which was Walt's mindset in the first, what, two, MAYBE three seasons? After that he just became a megalomaniac, which is what I'm waiting for with Saul.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cojawfee posted:

Do you think they crashed the actual car Kim uses in the show?

That reminds me of the contest (or mayvbe charity auction?) they had to win Jesse's Toyota Tercel.

I wonder if when BCS is finished they'll have another one for Jimmy's Subaru with the mis-matched door?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

SlipkPIe posted:

Howard somehow became the character I root for the most and I barely even know how it happened

"You're like Gollum"

gently caress, that was a nod to Marco's ring wasn't it. I feel dumb for not picking up on that.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hit button posted:

gently caress, that was a nod to Marco's ring wasn't it. I feel dumb for not picking up on that.

Probably not. Howard doesn't know about Marco.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Last Chance posted:

I don't know if that was :thejoke: but I think he's referring to the writing overall.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Last Chance posted:

He does seem to look down at Jimmy's hands when he's making the comment though

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

We better get Bill Burr next season

Spellman
May 31, 2011

drunken officeparty posted:

We better get Bill Burr next season

LAaaaaydie!!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The mis-matched door adds character. If I saw it in a used car lot, it'd be one of the first ones I'd go for in a "proud of being frugal" way. Though I've never driven or had a car before, I'd be all right with having one that didn't look trustworthy and calling it a rustmobile as long as people that knew more about cars than me told me the discount outweighed the increased chance of car trouble

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 15, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

TBeats posted:

But in his mind he is doing what he has to do to survive!

Which was Walt's mindset in the first, what, two, MAYBE three seasons? After that he just became a megalomaniac, which is what I'm waiting for with Saul.

Walt was always a megalomaniac, which is why he wouldn't accept the help from Elliot, even when it was in the form of a well-paying job (where Walt's mind clearly would have actually been useful). It's also why he left Gray Matter and Gretchen, and most quite a few other high-paying chemistry jobs which is why he ended up a schoolteacher. He's a poo poo human being and entirely to blame for squandering all of his opportunities in life - he cannot cooperate with others.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nail Rat posted:

Walt was always a megalomaniac, which is why he wouldn't accept the help from Elliot, even when it was in the form of a well-paying job (where Walt's mind clearly would have actually been useful). It's also why he left Gray Matter and Gretchen, and most quite a few other high-paying chemistry jobs which is why he ended up a schoolteacher. He's a poo poo human being and entirely to blame for squandering all of his opportunities in life - he cannot cooperate with others.

Yeah I agree. His longtime greed was also established when he and Skylar were buying their house.

But eventually I think he stopped trying to justify it with cancer and just embraced his megalomania. The scene that comes to mind was in season 5 when he said "I'm in the Empire business." Prior to season 3 (and I'm being arbitrary with that) he was telling himself and everyone else he was in the "taking care of his family business."

I feel like there are a lot of similarities between Saul and Walt's character arc.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

TBeats posted:

The writers speak as if they didn't write it. That was my point.
I mean, at this point there's been a lot of turnover. Gordon Smith worked on Breaking Bad, but he was essentially a PA/office helper up until the final season. At that point he was a writers' assistant, and I want to say he was the dude who went back and cataloged all of the scenes/information about Saul Goodman for the writers' room of BCS.

So in a very real way, he didn't write [Saul Goodman's character]. Unless this is a tic that Gilligan and Gould use and I've overlooked it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

yah but cancer can actually literally cost millions to treat. you could get a solid gold cast and still not be that much

I have a friend who broke her arm fairly badly and needed minor surgery to set it and two days in the hospital. They billed her close to $90,000

SlipkPIe posted:

"You're like Gollum"

I really want more early-'00s pop-culture references in this show. Put in some references to The War, everyone starts going on Atkins diets, Jimmy turns on the car radio and it's playing Sk8r Boi, etc

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

I have a friend who broke her arm fairly badly and needed minor surgery to set it and two days in the hospital. They billed her close to $90,000

I really want more early-'00s pop-culture references in this show. Put in some references to The War, everyone starts going on Atkins diets, Jimmy turns on the car radio and it's playing Sk8r Boi, etc

God I hope not. I've honestly been really glad at how they've done a really good job of making it obviously be the early 00s, but not beating us over the head with it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

RedSpider posted:

It's actually Howard that is becoming an interesting character.

Agreed - I think the twist in Season 1 with Howard not being the one screwing Jimmy was great, and seeing him transition from someone who had sympathy for Jimmy to someone who sees him as a coward/con man has been awesome. When he scolded Jimmy in the parking garage and basically called him a lowlife beggar, he wasn't wrong.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah but...Jimmy also wasn't wrong that it would be better for the clients to get the money now. I don't see Howard as particularly sympathetic, but he is definitely more three-dimensional than his type of character would normally be on TV, which is cool.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Yeah but...Jimmy also wasn't wrong that it would be better for the clients to get the money now. I don't see Howard as particularly sympathetic, but he is definitely more three-dimensional than his type of character would normally be on TV, which is cool.

It's true. While Jimmy's self interest is evident, the truth is paying out now really is best for everyone, except HMM which stands to earn much more if they wait. Though, it's starting to look like Howard has a stake in earning as much money off that case as possible, with a possible lawsuit from Chuck.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Howard and HHM are certainly becoming a victim of the brothers McGill, much like anybody unfortunate enough to be in their vortex.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Colonel Whitey posted:

Howard and HHM are certainly becoming a victim of the brothers McGill, much like anybody unfortunate enough to be in their vortex.

So what you're saying is Walter White is just another McGill victim?

Makes u think

I would be okay putting the finale off another week because after that we enter the abyss and have to wait like two years for season 4 (at least that's what the gap between s2 and 3 felt lik).

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

TBeats posted:

So what you're saying is Walter White is just another McGill victim?

Makes u think

I would be okay putting the finale off another week because after that we enter the abyss and have to wait like two years for season 4 (at least that's what the gap between s2 and 3 felt lik).

haha, not exactly. Walter White is a whole different animal. I just mean at this stage of the story. BCS is the story of a fraternal feud and its collateral damage.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
This is the end point for Jimmy. He has to get to where he doesn't give a drat if his clients murder old people. Making good progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3DY1_zijgA

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

There is an argument to be made that if Saul had never volunteered his services after their initial dealings ("So if you wanna make more money, and keep the money you make...Better Call Saul!"), Walt would have never been in a position to grow into the Heisenberg we knew by the Finale. He probably would have just ended up arrested or buried in the desert if he'd continued to follow the trajectory he was on.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

There is an argument to be made that if Saul had never volunteered his services after their initial dealings ("So if you wanna make more money, and keep the money you make...Better Call Saul!"), Walt would have never been in a position to grow into the Heisenberg we knew by the Finale. He probably would have just ended up arrested or buried in the desert if he'd continued to follow the trajectory he was on.

Just like the vet is the deus ex machina in BCS, Saul was in BB.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just like the vet is the deus ex machina in BCS, Saul was in BB.

That's true. The Vet is ultimately to blame for those two 737s crashing into each other.

e: Also, pretty sure this means a Vet spinoff is next in line, get on it AMC

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 15, 2017

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

That's true. The Vet is ultimately to blame for those two 737s crashing into each other.

e: Also, pretty sure this means a Vet spinoff is next in line, get on it AMC

It will be to medical dramas what BCS was to legal dramas.

e: With Squat Cobbler working at a pharmaceutical company as secondary plotline.

Rexides fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 15, 2017

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I unironically would watch that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

every good show makes you like awful people at least sometimes. oz is a revolving door of the worst of the worst but there are points you feel bad for most if not all of them.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Rexides posted:

It will be to medical dramas what BCS was to legal dramas.

e: With Squat Cobbler working at a pharmaceutical company as secondary plotline.

While Giancarlo Esposito wails in despair as he continues to scratch the words "Rise of Gus prequel" into the wall of his asylum cell with a sharpened plastic spoon.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

every good show makes you like awful people at least sometimes. oz is a revolving door of the worst of the worst but there are points you feel bad for most if not all of them.

Vic Mackey is my favorite example considering he kills another cop in the very first episode.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

TBeats posted:

Vic Mackey is my favorite example considering he kills another cop in the very first episode.

Well, some people would argue....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they're going to make Saul from the protagonist into the villain of his own show in much the same way they did with Walt, they're going to have to raise up a new protag to take his place in our hearts, the way they did with Jesse.

Is it going to be Chuck, Hamlin, or Kim?

• Locked thread