Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

Might be true, but I much prefer leaning on the idea that Sweeney is doing it out of a sense of morals than out of an obligation to follow rules and laws

edit: it makes it funnier that she punches him for it

I mean it's kind of both. Belief gives power and shape to the gods, so whatever people believe about them is what they do and are. It's a moral choice that Sweeney's making, but it's one he makes because of the beliefs of Essie and the Irish folk that brought him to America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

OWLS! posted:

My kingdom for a character with a russian accent that actually pronounces russian words correctly.

I'm late for the party, but I could tell none of the "mexicans" were neither native speakers or even mexican, and even if we tried to pretend they were central and south american the accents were so american (the guy who played Jesus is Colombian in RL, he did his best for a neutral accent). I tried not to cringe at the coyote girl and the lady throwing a prayer.
It's a rarity to see people talking a perfect spanish from my country in an american show or movie. :sigh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm late for the party, but I could tell none of the "mexicans" were neither native speakers or even mexican, and even if we tried to pretend they were central and south american the accents were so american (the guy who played Jesus is Colombian in RL, he did his best for a neutral accent). I tried not to cringe at the coyote girl and the lady throwing a prayer.
It's a rarity to see people talking a perfect spanish from my country in an american show or movie. :sigh:

You need to watch Better Call Saul so you can hear the "mexican spanish"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Possibly related, as much as I enjoy the movies, it bugs me that John Wick is known as Baba Yaga. She was a boogeywoman, dammit. And if they absolutely had to go with that name, they could've at least given him a mortar and pestle to cruise around in, or a sweet chicken leg house :colbert:

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Crow Jane posted:

Possibly related, as much as I enjoy the movies, it bugs me that John Wick is known as Baba Yaga. She was a boogeywoman, dammit. And if they absolutely had to go with that name, they could've at least given him a mortar and pestle to cruise around in, or a sweet chicken leg house :colbert:

You're not alone. I feel like they meant "Chernobog", since Baba Yaga is a witch queen and Chernobog is sort-of a devil figure. It just baffles me how that made it into the movie, unless it's a whole extra layer of meta. It's not like Chernobog sounds any less menacing when you grimace the word into a finger of scotch.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crow Jane posted:

Shoulda been Krampus

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

You're not alone. I feel like they meant "Chernobog", since Baba Yaga is a witch queen and Chernobog is sort-of a devil figure. It just baffles me how that made it into the movie, unless it's a whole extra layer of meta. It's not like Chernobog sounds any less menacing when you grimace the word into a finger of scotch.

Slavic folklore just isn't that well-known, I guess. Hell, my heritage is exclusively eastern bloc countries, and the only reason I know anything about any of it is because my parents had this sweet Time-Life "Enchanted World" set that had a bunch of that stuff in it

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I'm trying to come up with a joke about Tom Cruise being a character named after a woman from folklore/literature in an action movie but everything comes out sounding homophobic

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's ok, Tom Cruise is afraid he's gay too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In all honestly I didn't even know they were calling Wick Baba Yaga until the sequel and they spell the words show up on screen. The name was always said in such a low growl.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I only remembered someone saying "so he's the boogyman?" (Subtitled from the character saying baba yaga)
"No, he's the man you send to kill the boogyman"

But it's been awhile.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You need to watch Better Call Saul so you can hear the "mexican spanish"

I think this is why the spanish in AG didn't faze me.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
I wish Canada had some sweet mythological characters that could show up in American Gods and everyone could do bad Canadian accents

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Lord Stanley of Preston shows up with bags of milk.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Lacey posted:

I wish Canada had some sweet mythological characters that could show up in American Gods and everyone could do bad Canadian accents

Currently writing a Canadian drama called True North. It's like Fargo meets Red Green

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

vermin posted:

Currently writing a Canadian drama called True North. It's like Fargo meets Red Green

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Lacey posted:

If they don't get the Kids in the Hall to play the Canadian pantheon I don't even know what this show is anymore

Though it may be too late for poor impaled Scott Thompson

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS

vermin posted:

I'm trying to come up with a joke about Tom Cruise being a character named after a woman from folklore/literature in an action movie but everything comes out sounding homophobic

I am lost as to how Tom Cruise became a part of this conversation.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

vermin posted:

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
*duct-tapes woman to a Zamboni-turned-death-machine*

(note I haven't seen the Fargo TV series)

edit god drat you Cojawfee

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Vermin thinks that tom cruise plays John Wick, possibly because he's confusing it with Jack Reacher.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Snak posted:

Vermin thinks that tom cruise plays John Wick, possibly because he's confusing it with Jack Reacher.

Pretty much this. Tom Cruise is default when I try to come up with a Hollywood action-movie guy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

John Wick is sooo much better than anything Tom Cruise does :colbert:. Or possibly not, but the series is stylish as gently caress and full of awesome actors. Including Ian McShane, so this derail isn't completely off-topic :v:

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Crow Jane posted:

John Wick is sooo much better than anything Tom Cruise does :colbert:. Or possibly not, but the series is stylish as gently caress and full of awesome actors. Including Ian McShane, so this derail isn't completely off-topic :v:

I keep hearing good things about it. I'll report back when I've watched both of them. I'll somehow tie it loosely into American Gods.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lacey posted:

Wendigo? Ogopogo?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Keanu Reeves is much better person than Tom Cruise, and a much better action star, as in "does much better fight scenes". Tom Cruise is probably a better actor. But I don't care, I like Keanu more.

Also, Keanu Reeves probably does a comparable amount of his own stunts as Cruise does.

But this is getting pretty far away from AmGods.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

John Wick is the God of murder.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

John Wick and the Saint of Killers from Preacher should get into a gunfight so destructive that it'll end up killing every living person in the western hemisphere.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

John Wick and the Saint of Killers from Preacher should get into a gunfight so destructive that it'll end up killing every living person in the western hemisphere.

John Wick doesn't kill bystanders :colbert:

It occurs to me that Peter Stormare plays a scary Slavic fellow in both John Wick and American Gods. He and McShane are basically more successful versions of Czernobog and Wednesday in that universe, and probably used it for practice :3:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

If they don't get the Kids in the Hall to play the Canadian pantheon I don't even know what this show is anymore

Though it may be too late for poor impaled Scott Thompson

Cabbage-head, The "I'm-squishing-your-head" guy, Buddy Cole, Chicken Lady, Simon and his manservant Hecubus. Any big ones I'm forgetting?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

Cabbage-head, The "I'm-squishing-your-head" guy, Buddy Cole, Chicken Lady, Simon and his manservant Hecubus. Any big ones I'm forgetting?

Girl Drink Drunk. I guess that was technically just the once, so maybe he's a demi-god or something

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

hangedman1984 posted:

Chicken Lady,
Imagine her in the Queen of Sheba scenes

"Oh ya like that do ya?"
"I'm trying really hard to."
"Would ya worship me?"
"Uh...nooo."
"Well you're not too bright are ya? There. Now I'm turnin' ya into an egg. Gonna hatch ya."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Really hoping to see Gillian Anderson as Keanu Reeves in S2. :dance:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

hangedman1984 posted:

Gavin! The nerdy kid who always asked weird questions and told weird stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At-dM_2kEQI

vermin posted:

Imagine her in the Queen of Sheba scenes

"Oh ya like that do ya?"
"I'm trying really hard to."
"Would ya worship me?"
"Uh...nooo."
"Well you're not too bright are ya? There. Now I'm turnin' ya into an egg. Gonna hatch ya."

I'm never going to not see this when Bilquis shows up.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Wendigo? Ogopogo?
Wendigo is scary and cool but Ogopogo is lame and probably also trapped in the Okanagan valley.

hangedman1984 posted:

The Blowjob Fairy #canadiangods

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Lacey posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anishinaabe_traditional_beliefs#Spiritual_beings

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

hangedman1984 posted:

Uh, Satan? How do you think Canadians sell shoes?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I do kinda want to see how Brian Fuller would do the Wendigo.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

ShakeZula posted:

Uh, Satan? How do you think Canadians sell shoes?

Shadow, your jacket is the envy of all the underworld...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
John Wick is ridiculously good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I hear good things about John Wick, but I'm boycotting it because I won't support a scientologist