Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/LeoChavarriaWSB/status/871766401014538240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Speaking of Apartment buildings... I wonder if that tower fire in london is another case of cheap chinese non fireproof cladding strikes again like it did in Melbourne a few years back...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/amp/

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ferremit posted:

Speaking of Apartment buildings... I wonder if that tower fire in london is another case of cheap chinese non fireproof cladding strikes again like it did in Melbourne a few years back...

Certainly seems to have been the cladding. I'm watching the news now and it went up like a candle; it's still burning.

No sprinklers either, apparently. God alone knows how many dead. It's horrifying.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh, suddenly someone's removed all references to the renovations where the new cladding was added.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Edit: this gives me a great idea: why get expensive sprinklers when you can duct tape a lawn sprinkler to the ceiling and run a hose to it? It even rotates to give better coverage!

Bushfire suppressions systems are literally this.
(On the outside of the house, not the inside)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yox9CKYh7EU

Colin Furze decides to dig a hole, is unclear on how to do proper shoring, work in confined spaces, etc. Spoiler: he doesn't die.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Developers and landlords should all be sent to gulag and the housing supply nationalized.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Developers and landlords should all be sent to gulag and the housing supply nationalized.

Yeah, government run housing projects have such a great track record

also they'd just contract out management and maintenance anyway

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Colin Furze decides to dig a hole, is unclear on how to do proper shoring, work in confined spaces, etc. Spoiler: he doesn't die.
Pretty sure by now Death has just given up on him.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I don't get the new reference, but it feels like it belongs here.

:edit: I believe is the guy who shot House Majority Whip Steve Scalise today. Turns out he ran a home inspection business in Illinois. Not the most appropriate for this thread.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 14, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

Which is exactly what happened in London.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ferremit posted:

I thought exactly this.

Also apparently a former housing minister decided that there shouldn't be a law requiring that blocks be built with sprinklers or have them retrofitted because "the cost will deter people from building new houses".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Leperflesh posted:

About the same as private side for all governments that don't violently hate the poor.

Lime Tonics posted:

hair stairs,

click for big.

no idea why.

Do you have hairs in your house?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Do you have hairs in your house?

I am pomaded.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yox9CKYh7EU

Here's a link to the finished version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AojTrc_UMaM

Thankfully he took it down after filming this bit, sparing some kids from dying in it down the line.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Lazy level designers. Is it that hard to make sure your object placement makes sense and doesn't noticeably clip through the world?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
If you pull the cord hard enough, the fence shifts and reveals stairs to a bonus level.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Found in the ceiling of a school... no idea if it's live, I suspect it is, but I wasn't gonna touch that poo poo. I'm a contractor and my reason for being up in the ceiling has nothing to do with AC power.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

`Nemesis posted:

Found in the ceiling of a school... no idea if it's live, I suspect it is, but I wasn't gonna touch that poo poo. I'm a contractor and my reason for being up in the ceiling has nothing to do with AC power.

That's just temp construction lighting that didn't get removed before the drywallers came. The electrical contractor just decided to cut that lamp off and go home. Happens all the time, it is very likely not live anymore.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

there wolf posted:

When you have no money for carpet but a bag full of cheap wigs.

Seriously, this looks like something someone on a design competition show would come up with if forced to decorate a room out of the contents of a dumpster.

They built a staircase on a hairy fat giant's hot dog neck

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Who was there first, do you think?

I'm betting on the planter, and the utility put a new pole in and didn't want to put in an XARM so drilled a hole through the brick.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Nah, it'd be tidier work than it is if the brick was already there. Just a hole a bit bigger than the cable, instead of that rectangular missing chunk.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Slugworth posted:

Nah, it'd be tidier work than it is if the brick was already there. Just a hole a bit bigger than the cable, instead of that rectangular missing chunk.

That's what they have on top, though. Maybe the brick just cracked at the bottom so they took the whole chunk out and patched it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
TFW you burn down a building and kill 100+ people because you didn't want to spend $3/panel more for non-flammable cladding.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grenfell-tower-fire-latest-london-cladding-banned-us-flammable-a7792711.html

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
17 died.

But yes.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

17 died.

But yes.

30 confirmed dead.

Estimates are 70+

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

17 died.

But yes.

Death toll is now 30, and rumours are that it's likely to be 150 - 200. 120 flats in the block, one stair case, no sprinklers, no centralised alarm, and internal fire blocking and fire doors seem to have failed so the compartmentalisation that is supposed to protect the building failed utterly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh drat. I was going from his linked article. No disprespect meant.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

None inferred.

I think we are all shocked at just how bad it is and hard to understand the number of victims in a supposedly developed society :smith:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I can get the flammable cladding thing. It's legal there, even though it's stupid.

But how the hell is only one stairwell and no sprinkler system for a residential high-rise legal?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I can get the flammable cladding thing. It's legal there, even though it's stupid.

But how the hell is only one stairwell and no sprinkler system for a residential high-rise legal?

Grandfathered in. It was okay as long as the outside wasn't on fire, they said.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Post poste posted:

Grandfathered in. It was okay as long as the outside wasn't on fire, they said.

And the flammable cladding was ok as long as it was cheap. The only people who saw a problem with that were the Chicken Little types, obviously.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I wonder if the EU has regulations about that sort of thing.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

None taken, I'm not a londoner but having been stuck at home watching the news come in it is a bit raw, sorry if i was a bit brusk.

This isn't supposed to happen in a first world country and it goes against everything we expect from a building like that.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I always wondered why my garage to kitchen entry door looked like it wobbles when gently slammed. Figured it had something to do with the disturbing settling/shifting that had pulled the exterior walls apart at the top, by about 3/4".

No, actually, turns out a great way to install a pre-hung entry door is just nail the brick molding to the wall on the outside, say gently caress it, and put casing on the inside. On the plus side, I didn't have to worry about long screws at the hinges hitting the same original holes in the studs!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hello thread this is from my friend's cell phone while walking around town.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Spite house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe