Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lord Crapulus posted:

Pretty sure they do/did test there. Seems like it'd work okay, they've had good races at airfield tracks before.

They're going to test the aerokits there to simulate street courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They don't run the full track when they test at Sebring.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

They don't run the full track when they test at Sebring.

I know, let me dream! :argh:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

GutBomb posted:

Sometimes mom calls us out of her basement to vacuum and poo poo.

Thread title right there

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This proposed race is kinda dumb, but I'd rather see it making the rounds than a China race again.

Also it's cool that the Mattoli's apparently see IndyCar worthwhile enough to push for this. The sport really needs Pocono and people that run that track. Great venue, loyal fans and family owned to boot.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

The Indycar Reddit is trying to start a rumor that the Nashville race is part of Nissan looking to become the third engine manufacturer.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

... the thing is, I can see them doing it, especially after what happened with LMP2 going from a non-trivial amount of the field using Nissan engines to only one car using it now (ByKolles).

Will they? Probably not.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

is the Ansan track ready yet

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fauxhawk Express posted:

is the Ansan track ready yet

ya its right after the Hawaii Superprix

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Did Nissan ever win a race the last time they were in IRL/IndyCar

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

there were apparently infomercials running for that in hawai'i. I want to watch them so drat bad.

also lol at CART thinking that F1 guys were wanting to run that race. (schumacher)

iospace posted:

... the thing is, I can see them doing it, especially after what happened with LMP2 going from a non-trivial amount of the field using Nissan engines to only one car using it now (ByKolles).

Will they? Probably not.

Does Nissan want to be here? I mean they do have their hands in F1 already pretty much.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Did Nissan ever win a race the last time they were in IRL/IndyCar

Yes but it took them years.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

FuzzySkinner posted:

there were apparently infomercials running for that in hawai'i. I want to watch them so drat bad.

also lol at CART thinking that F1 guys were wanting to run that race. (schumacher)

Does Nissan want to be here? I mean they do have their hands in F1 already pretty much.

Are you referring to the fact that Nissan and Renault partially own each other? Because it seems doubtful either companies motorsports divisions have anything to do with each other.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yes but it took them years.

lol i had to look that up man was that engine such as loving dog

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

IOwnCalculus posted:

3.65-3.70 GHz, according to their FCC license. Which unfortunately seems to be outside the range of most cheap software defined radios.

P P P P Powerbridge
https://www.streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=PBM-365

Relevant wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_multimedia_radio#3.3_-_3.8_GHz

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Just thinking about trying to decode some proprietary TDMA radio stream just to get access to a bewildering bit-stream makes me want to die though.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

When is Boston?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

dentist toy box posted:

When is Boston?

*nervous collar tug*

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

Will they? Probably not.

Until 2016 P2 engines were open and almost all were NISMO badged (a couple Hondas as well). Then they went to the single supplier and that ended Nissan's global P2 campaign (they still badge the LMP3 engine fwiw).

Currently they have a DPi with the ESM Patron team in IMSA, but that's using the GT-R GT3 engine and is a customer deal. The ByKolles in WEC is using the GT-R LM's turbo engine but without any hybrid at all as privateer LMP1. And as mentioned, them and Renault are separate for motorsports.

If Nissan wanted they could badge the Cosworth or Judd and enter IndyCar. I also have a suspicion that, with changed LMP1 privateer rules next year bringing in more makers, they may become a bigger engine supplier once more. But those may be Nissan USA/Nissan Europe separate activities for all I know.

I think Indy would be a good fit for them, but so would turning that DPi program factory and racing GT-Rs in GTD class, so what do I know.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Basticle posted:

Are you referring to the fact that Nissan and Renault partially own each other? Because it seems doubtful either companies motorsports divisions have anything to do with each other.

Mostly, but there were rumours Nissan was going to take over in Formula E.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Cygni posted:

You think they could try & do the race around the World Trade Center again?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

dsriggs posted:

Too soon

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

dsriggs posted:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

http://www.racermagazine-digital.com/racer/199205?pg=10#pg10

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Mandatory pit windows are dumb.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

Mandatory pit windows are dumb.

I see you are now watching the CCWS seasons

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Not quite. CART 2002 - I forgot they were implemented this early.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

... i actually did too. It was in 2002? Huh.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What happened to Coyne in 2001 and 2002?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Human Grand Prix posted:

What happened to Coyne in 2001 and 2002?

In 2001 DCR merged with PRG, ran 2 cars for the first 2 races of the year (Monterrey & Long Beach), then ran out of money/sponsorship for the rest of the season. Same issue in 2002 except they only ran 1 car at Rockingham and 1 car at Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez all year

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah it was weird in 2001 Coyne's team (Krumm and Garcia Jr.) did the first 2 races and then vanished, and it was never brought up or discussed. Project Indy/CART/Racing always struck me as a bit of a scam tbh. In pre-season there was supposed to be 31 cars.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

KingShibby posted:

In 2001 DCR merged with PRG, ran 2 cars for the first 2 races of the year (Monterrey & Long Beach), then ran out of money/sponsorship for the rest of the season. Same issue in 2002 except they only ran 1 car at Rockingham and 1 car at Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez all year

I just looked it up because I couldn't remember who Coyne ran in '02, and realized I completely forgot that Andre Lotterer had a cup of coffee in CART

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I just looked it up because I couldn't remember who Coyne ran in '02, and realized I completely forgot that Andre Lotterer had a cup of coffee in CART

One F1 start as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Indy officially looking into head protection for 2018 aerokits.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-to-test-new-driver-head-protection-on-2018-car-919458/

They're going to do the initial tests first with the new aero, then test out the head protection. I think The 500 crash where a foot could potentially end the lives of two drivers (Howard when Dixon went over him, Dixon when he hit the wall), a similar situation at Pocono last year, and Justin Wilson's death in 2015 probably made Indy go "Yeah, it's time"

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 17, 2017

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MP confirmed that Lambo was interested in joining IndyCar, but turned it down.

I guess they're looking at joining LMP1 for WEC though. Which is cool. I mean Lambo just seems like an odd as hell fit. I don't know why they'd run in our series. Seems like Audi, Porsche or VW proper would be way better fits.

But Question, what could IndyCar do to make things a little less spec and a little more open to not discourage this sort of thing? I'm almost of the belief that having the "500" sanctioned as a separate entity from normal races could work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's what it was until 1997. USAC and CART had their own rulesets that mostly copied each other aside from the whole "stock block" rule that was eventually relaxed to allow bespoke pushrod engines, like The Beast.

I mean, on one hand you could easily hit 700hp these days with any of a number of production engines, if that's what you want to see. Problem is those engines will need much larger engine bays than the 2.2 single turbo V6, and additional reinforcement to work as a stressed member. So now you need a separate (and certainly worse) body kit, along with a higher center of gravity.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FuzzySkinner posted:

MP confirmed that Lambo was interested in joining IndyCar, but turned it down.

I guess they're looking at joining LMP1 for WEC though. Which is cool. I mean Lambo just seems like an odd as hell fit. I don't know why they'd run in our series. Seems like Audi, Porsche or VW proper would be way better fits.

But Question, what could IndyCar do to make things a little less spec and a little more open to not discourage this sort of thing? I'm almost of the belief that having the "500" sanctioned as a separate entity from normal races could work.

Lamborghini is loving trash in car racing so they were probably worried their sports car engine would be routinely beat by what is ostensibly a Civic. If they do go the (hahaha) LMP1 route they're gonna get stuffed so fast it'll make their head spin. Also Indycar opening up the formula is a horrific idea and would lead skyrocketing prices in a series where most cars run without sponsors.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/876280832494796801

Marshall Pruett ftw.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I'm not trying to rig up a FS GO feed when I've got the WEC one working perfectly fine, but I love the work MP does. Always good to hear from him on Midweek Motorsport, or to catch the podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Marshall Pruett is the man, and not just because he uses Alienware.

• Locked thread