Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I played Codenames: Pictures once. I think it's slightly worse than the original in almost every way. You can only use the spymaster cards two ways, you don't have two valid views on the code cards, the pictures have nuance that you have to be even closer to see, and it sucks just as much with people who don't know/can't think of words or ideas or connections between them. Literally the only way it's better is that you don't have to explain the rule about clues that use words that are still uncovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo
As a counterpoint, I think Codenames Pictures, if not "better", is quicker and more exciting. The nuance to the pictures is a plus, not a minus. It makes the assassin much more dangerous because each clue is more likely to effect multiple cards. The only time I've ever seen the assassin hit in the original is from brand new players in their first or second game. Most games I can completely ignore it. In Pictures it's far more of a concern and I've seen it happen several times by more experienced players.

I very much disagree that it has the same level of problem with people who don't know/can't think of words. Because each picture has so many possibilities I find it much easier to come up with clues to connect multiple cards, and my experience is that everyone else I've played with does too.

I somewhat agree that having the pictures oriented only one way is a bad thing, but it's not like the spymaster is unaware of how the person is viewing it. Nor is there a rule from them getting up and looking from the other side of the table, as far as I'm aware.

And only being able to orient the spymaster cards two ways is a ridiculous complaint. There's plenty of cards for that not to matter even if you played several games a day.

The biggest downside I can think of with Pictures compared to the Original, and the reason I won't necessarily say it's "better" as a game, is that you are more likely to be able to give clues that reference something specific to your partner with the Original, and therefore the player interaction is stronger.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My other beef with Pictures is that since the grid is smaller, the games are 2-4 turns shorter and the first player advantage doesn't feel balanced out by having to get an extra tile. I think the win rate I've seen on Pictures is that the starting team wins 80% of the time

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oh I don't remember who was asking for thoughts on Agility (the new 2p game by the Morels guy) a while back -- it's a good game mechanically but it's exceedingly fiddly for such a small package. Otherwise it's a nice little rondel game with setup variability that has perhaps too much luck but not so much that it isn't manageable. The doggo artwork/treat tokens are pretty amazing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

golden bubble posted:

So Rahdo has a playthrough of Magic Maze, the new real-time cooperative game. More importantly, I think this is the first video to show Rahdo's mythical wife.
Magic Maze is awesome - so good I imported a copy from Belgium so we'd have it for my upcoming gaming con. I've played with four different groups now, and there's not a single person who didn't love it - even people who are not normally into real-time or co-op games.

While the box says 1-8 players, I feel like the game wants at least four. You can do it with less, but the scenarios are much easier. I think the sweet spot is 5-6, so the actions are more spread out.

What Radho showed is basically the equivalent of playing the Space Alert tutorial. A bunch of extra rules and tiles get added in as you keep playing, and the "full" game starts around the 7th or 8th scenario.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

canyoneer posted:

My other beef with Pictures is that since the grid is smaller, the games are 2-4 turns shorter and the first player advantage doesn't feel balanced out by having to get an extra tile. I think the win rate I've seen on Pictures is that the starting team wins 80% of the time
Really? I feel like it's the opposite. It seems way easier to come back from 'behind' once the other team has taken most of their cards off the table.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I honestly would only rather play Pictures if I have a group of non-native english speakers. It makes the game muuuuuch easier to actually play.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Does Magic Maze work well with 2 people or is it meant for larger group coop? When is it actually out in the states?

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

I just got Carcassone today and while I'm excited to play it I'm missing the Abbot pieces. Looking over the rules I'm not sure they're something I would use anyway, but it's still so disappointing to get a board game with missing components. :smith:

Unless you got some kind of special edition (and I know one like that exists because my brother got it), I don't think the basic game comes with any of the extra features. If you got the one that comes with the river and Abbots the maybe contact the manufacturer to let them know they're missing?

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
The real answer is to play the 5x5 words + pictures variant from the back of the Pictures rulebook. Make everyone juggle their visual and language processing centers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megasabin posted:

Does Magic Maze work well with 2 people or is it meant for larger group coop? When is it actually out in the states?

It's better with 6-8 people. No idea when it's out in the US.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

canyoneer posted:

There is a promo piece that lets you 5x5 using reg codenames keys.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
So I just saw the Broken Token organizer for Gloomhaven is at Origins and it's a beast. Something like 14 trays.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 16, 2017

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jedit posted:

It's better with 6-8 people. No idea when it's out in the US.
I'd say 4-6. Any more than that and you have multiple people with the same action.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So I threw my fiancee's bday party yesterday and she loved her gifts and she's super excited to try out one of the Exit: The Game games soon :)

I'm mostly bringing this up because the party was at our friend's place, and our friend's grandma was there and she saw the game and was all "Oh are those pokemon cards?" :3:

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Lorini posted:

Wooooo a friend got me a copy of Lisboa from Origins!!! Can't wait, hopefully I'll have it by next weekend.

My friend who buys a lot of games and owns Kanban and The Gallerist said he wasn't going to bother with Lisboa because it didn't seem like his sort of game, or something. So if you or anyone else has some words about it that'd be cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhiteHowler posted:

I'd say 4-6. Any more than that and you have multiple people with the same action.

That's only a problem for the person with the Vortex action after the theft. The rest of the time you have the people with special actions ignore their movement action unless it's an immediate follow-up.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rad Valtar posted:

So I just saw the Broken Token organizer for Gloomhaven is at Origins and it's a beast. Something like 14 trays.

Is it for sale?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Frush posted:

Unless you got some kind of special edition (and I know one like that exists because my brother got it), I don't think the basic game comes with any of the extra features. If you got the one that comes with the river and Abbots the maybe contact the manufacturer to let them know they're missing?

It's definitely supposed to come with the Abbot stuff, says so right on the box along with the river that did come through. I'm considering contacting them but I'm a big baby that gets extremely anxious when talking to people I don't already know and I probably won't ever need the pieces.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, has anyone heard or seen anything about Dice Forge? It certainly looks interesting, but I don't trust a press release by itself.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I moved to Los Angeles for the summer, packed up all my board games and put them in storage. Now I'm feeling the withdrawal, and I'm wondering if there are any board gaming goons that want to meet up and push some cubes around. I live on the west side.

Ameritrash players need not apply.

In addition/alternatively are there any board game shops that don't smell and aren't filled with sexist assholes?

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Crackbone posted:

Is it for sale?

Not yet they were just showing it off for the first time I believe. They said possibly 3 to 4 weeks and they will have them at GenCon for $79.99

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friend showed me the millenium blades Jojo card. It even talks about the Stand. :vince: I can't wait to play this game.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

burger time posted:

I moved to Los Angeles for the summer, packed up all my board games and put them in storage. Now I'm feeling the withdrawal, and I'm wondering if there are any board gaming goons that want to meet up and push some cubes around. I live on the west side.

In addition/alternatively are there any board game shops that don't smell and aren't filled with sexist assholes?

Next Gen is probably the best shop in main LA, they do mostly Magic but they have regular board game nights. There's a game cafe in Glendale that's great, but you'd probably want to go with people.

Also, there's a game meetup on the west side this Saturday for the group called My People Connection Gamers. You can find the details on Meetup if interested. (It's not affiliated with the church, just uses the basement for space.)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

My friend showed me the millenium blades Jojo card. It even talks about the Stand. :vince: I can't wait to play this game.

Which one, there are two I think

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Chill la Chill posted:

I want this

But I've spent 300 bucks on board games this week already

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

burger time posted:

Look up West Side Gamers on meetup.com. Game Empire in Pasadena is good but it's a long way for you. I live in Santa Clarita which is also a ways from you but send me a pm if you are interested.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

sirtommygunn posted:

It's definitely supposed to come with the Abbot stuff, says so right on the box along with the river that did come through. I'm considering contacting them but I'm a big baby that gets extremely anxious when talking to people I don't already know and I probably won't ever need the pieces.

Send a non-confrontational email? You may as well get what you paid for and if there's a defect with a batch they might want to know.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Thanks for the recs everyone.

Chill la Chill posted:

The game is unbelievably good, but it's kinda a monkeys paw game in that organizing it is a task that will drive you mad.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Crackbone posted:

Is it for sale?

MeepleRealty's Gloomhaven insert is already shipping out, 60bux.

https://www.meeplerealty.com/product/gloomhaven-town/

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Rad Valtar posted:

Not yet they were just showing it off for the first time I believe. They said possibly 3 to 4 weeks and they will have them at GenCon for $79.99

That's more than I paid for the game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

burger time posted:

Thanks for the recs everyone.

The game is unbelievably good, but it's kinda a monkeys paw game in that organizing it is a task that will drive you mad.

I recently bought someone's complete (base + expansion + all released promo packs) set with the money packs already assembled, for less than I would have paid for the entire haul at CSI.

it took 3 hours to organize and bag all the cards by set.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

canyoneer posted:

Playing Marvel Comics Codenames as a guy who's read 3 comic books in his life and only has exposure to the characters through film sounds like a nightmare scenario playing with someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of characters and storylines.
Gun to my head I probably couldn't name you more than 10 or 15 Marvel characters.

Codenames Pictures I find is not nearly as fun with grown-ups, but is a better experience if you're with drunk adults or with younger kids (or both at the same time)

Oddly enough, regular Codenames is great with drunk younger kids.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I'm playing/teaching Star Wars rebellion for the first time tomorrow. Are there any rule gotchas I should know about it that might not be clear in the rule book?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kruller posted:

Oddly enough, regular Codenames is great with drunk younger kids.
My brain interpreted "younger kids" as in "'Mice and Mystics' age", and the mental image of a room full of completely hammered 12-year-olds playing Codenames would be amusing if it weren't so distressing.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Perfect game for drunk young adults and/or 12-year-olds who can handle their poo poo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I recently bought someone's complete (base + expansion + all released promo packs) set with the money packs already assembled, for less than I would have paid for the entire haul at CSI.

it took 3 hours to organize and bag all the cards by set.

Haha yep. Friend said it took 3.5h for all the cards and money packs.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Papes posted:

I'm playing/teaching Star Wars rebellion for the first time tomorrow. Are there any rule gotchas I should know about it that might not be clear in the rule book?

Some things we overlooked first time, but are in the rulebook:

- When you're defending without a leader present, you can send one from the reserves
- A leader with no tactics can't command a fleet, but a fleet with a friendly leader present due to a mission (even a leader without tactics value) cannot move.
- Reinforcing/Moving the Rebel base takes place at the end of the turn
- Empire needs to control both planet AND space over the rebel base to win. Just wiping out the base isn't enough

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

nimby posted:

Some things we overlooked first time, but are in the rulebook:

- When you're defending without a leader present, you can send one from the reserves
- A leader with no tactics can't command a fleet, but a fleet with a friendly leader present due to a mission (even a leader without tactics value) cannot move.
- Reinforcing/Moving the Rebel base takes place at the end of the turn
- Empire needs to control both planet AND space over the rebel base to win. Just wiping out the base isn't enough

Thank you, much appreciated. Do you happen to recall how long your first game took?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh hey, cool. I didn't know there were going to be more Exit: The Game titles coming out, especially so soon. Apparently the first 3 are already available in Germany (or will be available there soon) and the rest are going to be released in Germany by the end of 2017 so hopefully they'll be released over here by then as well.