Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Trunko posted:

Can you switch from Uskuya to TSO with no punishment?

Guilty feet have got no rhythm

Penance: Get stuck in place and lose 1AUT randomly when you try to move :v:

Oh man if there was ever a reason to incorporate music into crawl, having the sax solo be your penance music...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Trunko posted:

Finally got two runes with my formid, and the promptly got pounded into the pavement on vault 5.

What is a good strategy for ants on vault 5? I managed to stair dance up and down several times and felt like I was doing alright but then the vault guardian locked the stairs. With no Tele I just had to stand there and get crushed.

The answer is always immolation, except when it isn't. Sometimes it is even two or more immolations!

The above may get you dead if you're not wearing heavy armor. rF+++ is actually helpful.

Seconding bigass crossbows or extreme evocations. They've got Hydra levels of MR (60) which is either extremely hard or very easy to overcome. Once everybody else has been exploded, it's much easier to bring the xxxbow or wands to bear. poo poo Evo, then a beam damage wand. As awful as lightning is, it doesn't lose range to intermediate assholes.

Cheibriados has two options, neither of which are slouch. Zin has sanctuary, but your results may vary. Makhleb has executioner's, etc.

Spells always good, from shatter to ignite poison + otr, maybe fire or ice magic if you've deviated from the true paths. If you have enough stealth, and monsters aren't stepping in it, passage of golubria still works, as do a few god abilities and boots of running. My bizzaro shadow dragon scale formicids did manage to lose the remnants after some immolation.

Really, just immolation. That is everything you need to know.

Stop by the discord when playing online, or toss a paste in of your dump when playing locally

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'm going to win with a DEFi. I must.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Trunko posted:

Can you switch from Uskuya to TSO with no punishment?

Usk is a Neutral god so if you abandon Usk, you will suffer penance regardless of what god you switch to.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

LordSloth posted:

The answer is always immolation, except when it isn't. Sometimes it is even two or more immolations!

The above may get you dead if you're not wearing heavy armor. rF+++ is actually helpful.

Seconding bigass crossbows or extreme evocations. They've got Hydra levels of MR (60) which is either extremely hard or very easy to overcome. Once everybody else has been exploded, it's much easier to bring the xxxbow or wands to bear. poo poo Evo, then a beam damage wand. As awful as lightning is, it doesn't lose range to intermediate assholes.

Cheibriados has two options, neither of which are slouch. Zin has sanctuary, but your results may vary. Makhleb has executioner's, etc.

Spells always good, from shatter to ignite poison + otr, maybe fire or ice magic if you've deviated from the true paths. If you have enough stealth, and monsters aren't stepping in it, passage of golubria still works, as do a few god abilities and boots of running. My bizzaro shadow dragon scale formicids did manage to lose the remnants after some immolation.

Really, just immolation. That is everything you need to know.

Stop by the discord when playing online, or toss a paste in of your dump when playing locally

Generally with Fo I do V5 by just being such a murder-tank that you can take on all comers. Zin recite can be handy as well.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Vaults5 is actually really simple.
1: Equip a vampiric executioners axe
2: Hold tab
3: Congratulations on your Silver rune

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
So it sounds like vault:5 is actually one of the easiest parts of this game. Cool!

(PS thanks for the advice thread I will try to do better next time. For some reason I've never used scrolls of immolation, but I for sure will now)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Trunko posted:

So it sounds like vault:5 is actually one of the easiest parts of this game. Cool!

(PS thanks for the advice thread I will try to do better next time. For some reason I've never used scrolls of immolation, but I for sure will now)
Just make sure you've got really good fire resist, there's going to be a lot of explosions.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Trunko posted:

lol

slime is also easy, just put on rCorr and hold tab

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

tote up a bags posted:

lol

Well, until Slime 4, anyways.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

tote up a bags posted:

lol

Sounds like someone forgot about shining eyes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FulsomFrank posted:

Sounds like someone forgot about shining eyes
Isn't their malmutate still permanent? Even Abyss doesn't make you suffer through (much) permanent malmutate these days.

it being on super-endgame threats like OoDs makes sense, but for midgame stuff, with no more cMut... I dunno, I just don't like it. Slime is punishing enough as it is.

Edit Admittedly, calling Slime 1-3 "midgame" is a little disingenuous, but the point still stands.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 16, 2017

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

PMush Perfect posted:

Isn't their malmutate still permanent? Even Abyss doesn't make you suffer through (much) permanent malmutate these days.

it being on super-endgame threats like OoDs makes sense, but for midgame stuff, with no more cMut... I dunno, I just don't like it. Slime is punishing enough as it is.

Edit Admittedly, calling Slime 1-3 "midgame" is a little disingenuous, but the point still stands.

Oh yes they are.

A caster can nuke them from orbit barring an unfortunate 1-turn-around-the-corner malmutate, but a melee dude better get good with angles and scrolls of fog, unless they aren't attached to any mutations they've currently got and want to start chugging pots.

Slime can be either a cake-walk or gigantic mistake.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If you're melee why don't you have throwing or a launcher

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Is it just me or Shoals just a miserable branch in general?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

Is it just me or Shoals just a miserable branch in general?

PMush Perfect posted:

Bring at least one of the following, but as many as you can manage:
- Absurd MR
- Lots of potions of flight and/or an evocable source of flight with a decent Evocations
- A good shield and/or amulet of Reflection
- If you're really ballsy, a chokepoint and lig potions
- Necromutation(??? maybe, I've never played full Necro)
- Lots of scrolls of fog and a hella good stairdance game
- Worship Fedhas and \[T]/ Praise the Sun(light)!

Edit Repel/Deflect Missiles works, too. Really, you just need some kind of way to deal with all the nets and javelins and manticore spines and giant boulders aside from "facetank it", and some way to deal with the sirens aside from "try to kill them before they drown me". It's the weirdest 'main' branch, because while most of the others are just "do you have rPois and a way to deal with [strong monster here]", Shoals requires a lot of prepwork to really handle right.

Edit2 Or you can play a Formicid with a large shield and an amulet of reflection and cackle maniacally as everything kills itself trying to harm you.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 16, 2017

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Do be careful- even with the ambush dead, V:5 can still kill you. Nothing stands out as a particularly nasty surprise, but there is still a high density of high quality monsters like Titans and Dragons.

The ambush isn't actually that dangerous in itself, it's the fact that it pins you down while those aforementioned monsters investigate the noise and kick you while you're down. If you run around carelessly, you can put yourself in just as bad a situation. I remember when I teleported away from a bad fight and ended up next to titans and liches and dragons.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 16, 2017

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Unless its changed ancient liches can show up in V5. Nothing says "nasty surprise" like 75% HP to -10% in a single turn.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I guess it shows how bad of a player I am that I've been playing this game for the better part of a decade and I only today bothered to look up what exactly a scroll of immolation does.....

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, it didn't always work like that. It used to just blow you up.

The V5 ambush is by far the least dangerous part of V5, the actual danger is the powerful enemies hanging out in the quadrants who can be drawn in by noise. So definitely do not actually immolate the ambush and make a shitton of noise if you want to beat V5, you're making the easy part easier and the hard part harder. You don't want titans and golden dragons and deep elf sorcerers etc etc murdering you while a warden stands behind them locking the stairs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Unless you teleport roulette out of the ambush you're going to have to deal with a few of those things unless you get exceptionally lucky. If you aren't going to do that, you need to be able to stop chaff blocking your ability to snipe threats as they appear. Axes do this actively, long blades do it passively.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ignore anyone who tells you Immolation ain't the solution to most problems.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Carcer posted:

Unless you teleport roulette out of the ambush you're going to have to deal with a few of those things unless you get exceptionally lucky.
Of course, but in a much less dangerous situation because you won't be at a point where monsters can walk out of all 4 quadrants at you

if you get to the outer corridors and clear a small space to rest in you're usually fine

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Oh, yeah, I was just saying be ready for a titan/dragon/elf/lich to wander into the stairs ambush even if you don't make much noise.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I miss old council-god because his abilities made Vault 5 a joke. Why yes, I would love to slaughter everything in a mass of golden fog while I explore the floor, why do you ask?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My strategy for handling Vaults:5 nowadays is to just go down a shaft. Its a lot easier to clear from the outside corners than the middle, where all 4 chambers will pour out to murder you. If there's no shaft or I get dumped in a horrible place, I burn teleports until I end up somewhere better.

Of course, doing this means you have no completely safe place to fall back too, so you have to be pretty liberal with your consumable usage if you find yourself in a bad spot.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

My strategy for handling Vaults:5 nowadays is to just go down a shaft. Its a lot easier to clear from the outside corners than the middle, where all 4 chambers will pour out to murder you. If there's no shaft or I get dumped in a horrible place, I burn teleports until I end up somewhere better.

Of course, doing this means you have no completely safe place to fall back too, so you have to be pretty liberal with your consumable usage if you find yourself in a bad spot.

I go down the main stairs so I can make a bunch of noise in the center, then teleport away after a couple turns when I'm sure everything is coming my way. It usually helps to make the teleport landing spots a bit safer.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Floodkiller posted:

I go down the main stairs so I can make a bunch of noise in the center, then teleport away after a couple turns when I'm sure everything is coming my way. It usually helps to make the teleport landing spots a bit safer.

this is usually my strategy as well. 90% of the time it works every time

i mean, apart from my other strategy of "don't do v:5"

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I must be the only person who doesn't rely completely on chance when running v5.

1. Haste, Agility, whatever other buffs you find appropriate (heroism, etc).

2. Go down.

3. Read magic mapping. In some cases there will be a grid pattern or otherwise obvious choke point where only 1-2 enemies can get to you at once OR SEE YOU (important!). In that case your best bet is to move there. Most V5 attackers will have no problem handing 1-2 of any enemy, if you can't you have no business being here. This is also the point where if you are Fo and you don't see a good hidey hole to run to or a pair of easily broken quadrants you should go back upstairs and get another rune.

4. Examine the map:

In most cases, like this one, there's no clear hidey hole.You are now going to head for the outer walls. Identify where you want to go based on quadrant layout. Quadrants closed by doors or mostly blocked by walls are best.

Both the right quadrants are total disasters with open layouts and half to all of the quadrant coming from one or two shouts. The upper left quadrant is ideal because the bottom left corner (circled in red) is a natural sound and sight block. And the bottom left quadrant is designed where if I ran towards the pink x I would get pulls but maybe max of a third of the quadrant if it goes really poorly.

5. Blink in that direction - in this case, west. Sometimes there will be a path thru the guards but blink so stuff does not see you and you take a minimum of damage.

6. (optional) if you have immol and a good way to guarantee blowing up one or two guys (evocables etc) you might as well blow up the center spawn now and make a fuckton of noise to pull things out of the quads. This is also good in case you need to tport later as you probably emptied a couple quadrants. Don't do this if it will slow your roll, you want to get out of there while a minimum of things drawn to the center by shouts see you.

7. Run to the outer wall. Stop to deal with problematical attackers like titans, demon summoners, anything with anything corrosive.

8. Run up to your target spot (far enough that you can't see the intersection to the south.

9. Fight. If you immolated the center on your way out you can likely teleport if things go bad because at least a couple quads will be emptied.

It's rare that I have any real trouble doing it this way. Sitting in the center means you are usually hosed up when you finally have to teleport. Shafting or immediately teleporting is likely to put you in a situation where you have to teleport 1 or 2 more times to reach a position you can defend and by then you are messed up.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to check the % number of times you have died on a floor vs visited it for webtiles? Because I think I have been to Vault 5 probably almost a hundred times and died on it, like, twice. It's definitely at a pretty easy spot in the game in my opinion, for character power versus threat. I usually do it as my 2nd or 3rd rune (rarely 4th) depending on what's in lair.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Araganzar posted:

I must be the only person who doesn't rely completely on chance when running v5.

Great explanation here, this is essentially the same as mine but I use ?fear instead of ?blink to get out.

jon joe posted:

Is there a way to check the % number of times you have died on a floor vs visited it for webtiles? Because I think I have been to Vault 5 probably almost a hundred times and died on it, like, twice. It's definitely at a pretty easy spot in the game in my opinion, for character power versus threat. I usually do it as my 2nd or 3rd rune (rarely 4th) depending on what's in lair.
code:
!lm . br.end=vaults Vaults:5 / lg:place=vaults:5
Sequell: 8/116 milestones for rchandra (br.end=vaults Vaults:5): N=8/116 (6.90%)
For whatever reason this hit the time limit the first time I tried it, but then worked after that. I've specified vaults:5 in the first part to not count games where I managed to reach vaults:8 and then die in vaults:5 somehow, though that hasn't actually happened.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Internet Kraken posted:

They definitely aren't gonna add any religious backgrounds. There's a reason they removed basically all of them.

.....I'm not sure what exactly that reason is but it exists.

Anyways we got frogs this version which is about the only good thing in it. Next version might have Gnolls if they get through trunk but they are weird to say the least. After that who knows.

I am actually kind of curious as to what the reason was, I could see the argument being that it made builds too pre-determined or that it added too much power early on

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

a big reason most god-starts have been removed is because "picking a god is interesting" and I tend to agree with it; a lot of gameplay is decided for me when i go "hmm should I worship at this early/faded altar I found, or wait til temple to find who I really want?" It's an important piece of the design and god-starts take that away

Healer was removed because of "Pacify becoming available later and no longer being usable on every monster as a method to gain piety", so they felt it wasn't gameplay-defining enough to be a start background. Death Knight was removed at around the same time and for similar reasons -- starting yred wasn't defining enough.

i can't find the specific commit for Pr being removed and i'm too lazy to dig anymore :v:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
~gently caress the abyss~

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Thanks for the Vs suggestions a few pages back. In the same vein, how about Octopode? I'm trying to branch out into all the different races I've never tried before so any cool and/or non-obvious combos would be appreciated.

Also, since I'm still basically relearning this game, what is the general strategy for use of enchant weapon/armor and brand scrolls? I know this is going to vary a lot based on the particular circumstances of any particular game but any kind of general strategy with regard to those scrolls would be awesome.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Apparently I've only been to Vaults 5 17 times? It definitely feels like way more than that, does the counter change with versions or something?

Good news is of those 17 I've only died once, apparently.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

Also, since I'm still basically relearning this game, what is the general strategy for use of enchant weapon/armor and brand scrolls? I know this is going to vary a lot based on the particular circumstances of any particular game but any kind of general strategy with regard to those scrolls would be awesome.

This is super general, as you say I might change a lot depending on finds/survivability/etc. Use enchant armour on aux slots quickly. It often takes a very long time (if ever) to find meaningfully branded boots, for example. Even other slots, often you won't find anything, or you won't care about the brand when you do get it. So take the AC. For enchanting body armour, I want it to be a decent chance that I'd be using it for most of the rest of the 3-rune game. So Archmagi, any ego plate, dragon armour, etc.

For enchanting weapons when not with Trog, I'll usually enchant a branded weapon as far as +4 to +6 if I think I'll be using it for the next branch or so. Enchant beyond that if I think I might use it for most of the 3-rune game. Brand scroll: any poorly-branded (or unbranded), enchanted weapon, as long as I won't be too upset with venom/protection/chaos/whatever_brand_I_hate. Having extra brand scrolls gives you a little security on that.

With Trog: you should get your preferred basetype soon enough, enchant it. if you have 2 antimagic one or otherwise a spare, rebrand one.

Alternate approach: use every enchant scroll right away, until you start having games where you're in the late game and super annoyed by not having any and then develop your own approach. It's far too common to save them instead of using them - even being aware of that I can't stop myself sometimes.

jon joe posted:

Apparently I've only been to Vaults 5 17 times? It definitely feels like way more than that, does the counter change with versions or something?

As long as you're playing on the same name or have your nickname mapped to those names they count, though experimental branches (like smithgod etc.) won't.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Thanks for the Vs suggestions a few pages back. In the same vein, how about Octopode? I'm trying to branch out into all the different races I've never tried before so any cool and/or non-obvious combos would be appreciated.

I'm pretty fond of OpIE. You train ice magic (with a bit of charms and summoning) until you can cast everything in the starting manual, get a bit of fighting and dodging, then turn everything off and go hard into UC.

Freeze avoids the weaknesses of low-level UC (slow, inaccurate, low damage), Ozucubu's covers for Op's squishiness, ice beasts clear earlymid threats like hydras, and throw icicle gives a solid ranged option. I use whatever enchanted weapon I find to clear out skeletons/zombies in the early game. I tend to pick Chei but most non-Trog gods work.

Post-lair you'll have pretty much everything you need (high UC, decent fighting/dodging/invo, enough magic to cast spells) to make the build work. Things like transmutations, lesser beckoning, and deflect missiles cover additional weaknesses. With Cheistats and no armour pretty much anything is castable.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

vulturesrow posted:

Op is a Bad Race because even if you find eight good rings, you're not really better off than someone who found good gear for every slot, and you're so squishy for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gnolls are new and fun and bad, which is the best combination for Crawl races that make for a good change of pace, and I mean that unironically. Barachi are new and fun and good, if you'd rather not suck by midgame.

• Locked thread