Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nate RFB posted:

I've felt that when all the cards are on the table, Order of Ecclesia is my favorite Castlevania. SotN is an amazing game but there is so much god drat bloat and it's just an overall rather rough experience to revisit, most notably in the difficutly department where clearly they had not figured out how to scale enemies with the new leveling system to not make everything a joke in the second half. OoE has the best overall challenge and gameplay of the rest, with even the bonus of not having the medicore art of Dawn/Portrait. In the end I love all of the IGAvanias except for Harmony but OoE will always be my #1.

But that said the reasons I like those games and other, traditional Castlevanias are so far apart that I feel it's a lot more fair to categorize them as such. For the other set my favorite has to be Rondo of Blood.

Another thing about SotN is that it's kind of sluggish to get around in, especially once you get to the inverted castle. Mind, none of the games are particularly "fast" but navigating from place to place is just kind of boring in SotN and I feel that the quick travel rooms could be placed a little better. Long corridors become fun once you get the wolf powerup though. Richter is a little more bearable to play in this regard because he can slide and dash.

Circle of the Moon is weird because, while Nathan can run, the warp rooms have really awkward placement so it kind of cancels out.

Phantasium posted:

Yeah IV is a good introduction to the original games, if only because it's easier.

Don't expect whip movement to come back in a meaningful way, though.

I feel the same about Simon Castlevania IV as I do about Samus in Super Metroid. Developers went way above and beyond to make sure your character is the most agile they've ever been in the series and has more moves than they probably need. Then, for reasons unknown, they were taken away in later games never to be seen again.

Richter was pretty slick in SotN with his dash jumping and backflips, but he still could only whip parallel to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

Well obviously the solution is to start with 4 and 5, which are much worse than zero . . .

Or instead you could play the good one(s)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The game design reasons for why the 8-directional whip was never brought back are hardly a mystery. It's incredibly overpowered and makes most subweapons meaningless, and prohibits several classic enemy patterns. It's such a major change that they would've had to change the entire design of the series to accomodate it, and they instead chose to walk it back so they could continue to build on a precise clasic formula.

It's the same reason why Richter, despite his acrobatic skills, doesn't move nearly as freely in mid-air as Simon in SCV4. It fundamentally changed how the platforming worked in the series.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Well obviously the solution is to start with 4 and 5, which are much worse than zero but still not as bad as Dead Souls or whatever.

4 can't be bad, it gave us Akiyama after all!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

4 can't be bad, it gave us Akiyama after all!

*3 solid hours of fat jokes at the expense of his employee*

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Colonel posted:

the story stuff in yakuza 1 is great as far as i got into it because it's literally Kazuma's Single Dad Adventures so i look forward to everyone playing it

I only played 1 but apparently the series has a Saints Row progression of goofiness where the first game is a pulpy but relatively grounded crime drama and then a few games later you're fighting adult babies and learning melee attacks by watching people get into scooter accidents and having a chicken working as a real estate broker.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Is Neogeo Sengoku as good as the description makes it sound?

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice
Finished Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment and liked it a lot. It felt easier, but maybe I've just gotten practiced at shovelry.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

I feel the same about Simon Castlevania IV as I do about Samus in Super Metroid. Developers went way above and beyond to make sure your character is the most agile they've ever been in the series and has more moves than they probably need. Then, for reasons unknown, they were taken away in later games never to be seen again.

Samus only got more agile in the 2D games following Super though. She couldn't even grab ledges!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Snak posted:

Yakuza 0 is my first Yakuza and I'm hooked.

It's a loving fantastic series and I'm very excited for Kiwami

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yakuza 1 is basically just a crime film and it owns

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

This is, the parking lot that OUYA did their E3 in, right? I'm not imagining that, am I?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I believe so.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh right, I just remembered something I wanted to post here but didn't.

So yesterday was KCB's surprise birthday party, already mentioned that, nothing new there. It was being held at our friend's place with their family since KCB is considered kind of like an unofficial member of that family. One of her gifts was a skylander figure she's wanted since he was announced but he has been hard to find because he's a popular figure so prices tend to be high for him if you get him second hand and most brick and mortar stores straight up don't have him.

So she was very happy to get Enigma. She just started shouting in surprise "I got Enigma! I got Enigma! I got Enigma!" and I was so happy for her. And then our friend's dad piped in with "We haven't been allowed to have those in the house since the civil war!"

Immediately I'm just just like :chloe:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually, that's a wizard from magicka

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

That's a pretty neat figure, Skylander or not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfCm6_h64So

I, uh..

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Like, I know that the friend in question's dad is a big trump supporter and also a racist but I kinda really wish he wouldn't just spout off stuff like that, especially at a birthday party :\

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Griffin McElroy discussion in the Steam thread has gotten me thinking I should look up a bunch of Polygon videos, since I haven't really followed them. From what I've seen, CoolGames Inc, Car Boys, and Monster Factory are worth checking out, anything else?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Griffin McElroy discussion in the Steam thread has gotten me thinking I should look up a bunch of Polygon videos, since I haven't really followed them. From what I've seen, CoolGames Inc, Car Boys, and Monster Factory are worth checking out, anything else?

Not Griffin but it's one of his brothers, check out "Things I Bought At Sheetz"

I don't think they're hosted on Polygon's youtube channel but it's all on youtube somewhere. They're short and good

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

they do a ton of very well liked podcasts if you're into that kind of thing

here's everything http://mcelroyshows.com/

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Watch all of Griffin's Amiibo Corner

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lurdiak posted:

SotN is not a classic Castlevania.

Uh yeah I know he was talking about SotN in his post though

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Please watch Car Boys. The entire series. The ending is outstanding.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Which one's the good one, Wolfenstein New Order or Old Blood?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bogart posted:

both

old blood is shorter though

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bogart posted:

New Order, but I've heard Old Blood is worthwhile.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fair enough. Also, is the PS store hosed for anyone else. Managed to get a purchase through yesterday, but whenever I try to buy somethin today to hit that good good $100 mark, I get errored out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bogart posted:

besides NO being the main game and OB being the prequel, OB favors stealth just a little bit more in its design, something to bear in mind. both games have a stealth/action balance where if you wanted to you could run and gun but be prepared to fight a lot more enemies if you do (because of alarms)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykSzQ0utxtg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGmDybYppPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASwnEtMF3fo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXxfabOa_Gg

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I posted it before but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytIKxTP2NcY

Watch the whole series (so far)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That's not what happened? They lost 100 grand trying to book more space near E3.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That's not what happened? They lost 100 grand trying to book more space near E3.

No poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pictured from last year: The ESA parking trailers in a way that very conveniently blocks off access and view of the Devolver gathering area from the street

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've started playing E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy. What the gently caress even is this

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Mak0rz posted:

I've started playing E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy. What the gently caress even is this

legs ok hahaha

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

gain brouzouf hahahahaha

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

door hack you lolol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
jesus, sled dog's last level for unreal sure was the most boring one

that was just, like, a solid half hour of slightly disorienting rooms and like three absolutely identical boring enemy gauntlets consisting of one enemy type

• Locked thread