Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

There's little interest in Canova among Bernie types these days. They are coming out in force supporting Ossoff, though: https://www.reddit.com/r/Political_Revolution/comments/6fqc1z/karen_handel_i_do_not_support_a_livable_wage/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

>Campaigns have tried often to figure out a way to systematically make people talk to each other about particular candidates or issues, but the reality is that it's mostly organic and impossible to control.

This is what I'm talking about with union towns, though. UNITE has ~50,000 members in Las Vegas alone (a city of some 600,000), and many of them are much more politically active and vocal than the average person. They are a real force in the community in a way that extends well beyond regular canvassing efforts. And again, even in terms of actual canvassing, I believe that someone who actually lives in the same city or at least metro area as you is a more meaningful contact than an import from out of state. You mention sticking to a script, but oftentimes people have questions or concerns when you knock on their door--I know this because i've canvassed before. If you don't know poo poo about their local issues you're just going to look like a carpetbagger.

I mean, only 60% of those members are even registered to vote by their own numbers. Of the 56k members, maybe a couple hundred are actually out there canvassing and doing poo poo. You know what their main contribution is? They make sure their people are able to vote or caucus. Which is great, by the way, and very good! But they are not an unstoppable political machine - keep in mind that all of 30.6k people voted in that primary at all, and only 12.2k of those voted for Ruben. That's not exactly a stunning demonstration of their GOTV abilities. Even under very optimal conditions, they likely generated a few hundred votes at best.

edit: and for the record, i guess, vegas proper only has 600k but there's hundreds of thousands more counting poo poo like north las vegas, and the entirety of clark county has 2 million people, almost all of whom live in the immediate vegas area

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Jun 16, 2017

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
https://twitter.com/marianahorchata/status/868955333103939585

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm concerned citizen and my proven strategy as a consultant is that is something is worth doing, but too hard, just don't do it!

After all, it worked for Hilario Clinton

(edit: that was autocorrect, but gently caress it, that poo poo's her new nickname now)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

if the AHCA passes, it is entirely the fault of the democrats for having such a garbage and unpopular and unsustainable law
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOieU5zh6as

yep! that feinstein clip that dore aired shows everything that's wrong with bad dems today, including using right-wing rhetoric like "government-controlled healthcare" and "huge tax increases" against single-payer.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

comedyblissoption posted:

remember that time that obama stood by saying nothing while scott walker gutted public unions in wisconsin and then clinton lost wisconsin lol

no one brought him his "comfortable walking shoes." :(

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

I'm concerned citizen and my proven strategy as a consultant is that is something is worth doing, but too hard, just don't do it!

(edit: that was autocorrect, but gently caress it, that poo poo's her new nickname now)

i argued the exact opposite, so sounds like your reading skills are impaired again

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

it's true, she is quite hilario

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Hilario Clinton

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

somebody better break her out

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Concerned Citizen posted:

i argued the exact opposite, so sounds like your reading skills are impaired again
Yeah it wasn't Hilario Clinton, it was Hilraldo Clivera

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

UHD posted:

I want to throttle whoever came up with that emoji or whatever the kids call em these days

:thunk:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
democrats... democrats never change

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/875535308934316032

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

fuuuuuuck lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

literally nazi gold

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

awww how presh~ :h:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

:bahgawd:

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Washington Generals

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Mariana Horchata posted:

awww how presh~ :h:

woah you're back

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

These loving millenials get trophies for everything. he didn't even participate.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

anime was right posted:

woah you're back

:bape:

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
the democratic establishment is in love with the GOP and their supposed resistance is nothing more than flirtation

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ahahahahah

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The democrats really are beyond saving

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

loving disgusting

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

this is pretty loving perfect :lol:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

OK, well, basically what exactly is the left doing to win the primaries? The other side is never going to just step down and concede to you anymore than the GOP would. Complaining about their losses doesn't get you anywhere. So at some point, you have to demonstrate your electoral appeal in a primary electorate - and that's just step one. I see people ITT say "the base wants X" or "the base wants Y," but then they lose in primaries which is entirely base voters. So it seems like there's got to be efforts to shift the electorate, and that's not happening.

Blame the voters :thunk: interesting strategy

Dems don't wanna help people, they wanna make money hth

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hot take: it's a fucken trophy who gives a poo poo

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
was this discussed

https://news.vice.com/story/extremism-experts-are-starting-to-worry-about-the-left

"Extremism experts are starting to worry about the left"

because this is also loving disgusting

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

cold take: it is a funny metaphor for the democratic party

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
hi I'm an extremism expert

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

hi I'm an extremism expert

Thank you for your service Dr. Gorka

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

deadgoon posted:

the democratic establishment is in love with the GOP and their supposed resistance is nothing more than flirtation

2 sides take the field tomorrow, but we're all ultimately on one team.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

2 sides take the field tomorrow, but we're all ultimately on one team.

yeah they're both on the side of capital

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

but this is symbolic of the faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

UHD posted:

but this is symbolic of the faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

a racist as gently caress guy got shot in the rear end and they gave them the trophy because "same team"

gently caress that bullshit and you can hand wave it away but it's pretty much perfect.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

That's nice of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

*concerned citizen voice*

The real victory here is optical.

• Locked thread