Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've said it before, but when you get right down to it, Bugs Bunny is just a big talking rabbit, too. Most people seem pretty okay with that. Who even gives a poo poo if the main character is some kind of animal person? I've read things where the main character was a robot or a four-foot tall hairy-footed kleptomaniac or a zombie wizard or the personification of the concept of death and it doesn't make a drat bit of difference in the end. All that's important is that interesting stuff happens in the story and that whatever the main character is plays into it.

Hey I said the word but you made the link, plus you can decry that the characterization is more important or whatever but in a visual medium that poo poo falls flat, what your characters look like sets a tone which to my mind Poppy's story than fights constantly and falls flat. Like sometimes dissonance can be used effectively but in this case it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

It's exactly a furry webcomic with some weird magic anime poo poo going on, it's a furry anime comic with some expressive art and good visual gags and the writing can convey personality beyond 'bland', 'quirky', and 'author's dumb political opinions'. webcomics ain't exactly the Criterion collection

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Motherfucker posted:

Hey I said the word but you made the link, plus you can decry that the characterization is more important or whatever but in a visual medium that poo poo falls flat, what your characters look like sets a tone which to my mind Poppy's story than fights constantly and falls flat. Like sometimes dissonance can be used effectively but in this case it is not.

Sure, but that dissonance only exists because of the assumptions you brought to the comic. People who just give less of a poo poo about furries in general aren't spending the first part of the comic worrying about it, and are thereby able to enjoy the story, because for them the tone that is set is totally different. I would advise you to contemplate this simple and fulfilling way of living while giving less of a poo poo about things like whether the magic comic lady is an opossum.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Adventures in racism with the cutesy fuzzle twins.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Honestly, that sounds kind of amazing. I want someone to do that comic now.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I feel like it's been done but there's still a niche for the pro-racism side

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Morbi's patreon is set up to pay out per page, and it's currently at $403 per with 190 patrons.
As a comparison, Magnolia Porter is at $523 per month with 191 patrons, Evan Dahm is has 297 patrons (amount is hidden, but I'd guess around $900), Tom Siddell is making $5500 a month with 1900 patrons, and Tracy Butler is also at $5500, with 1500 patrons.

Tracy's output is glacial, but very high-quality. She has several tiers where you can get custom art--100 people every month get a digital sketch. That's nearly half her total right there. 10 people pay $50 to get a physical sketch mailed to them. Another nearly-half is the $5 tier where you can watch art livestreams and interact with her.
Tom's got custom art at a $50 tier, but the bulk of his patrons are the $2 and $5, which don't actually get you much, but 32 $15 level people can watch stream side projects.
Magnolia and Evan both have even more limited tiers--no custom art, no streams--just sketch blogs and ebooks.
Morbi's just got wallpapers and worldbuilding posts (and at $20, you can make requests for worldbuilding posts).

Morbi's doing pretty well on Patreon, comparatively. He posted 6 comics in May, so that's somewhere between $~403 and $2400 for the month, depending how Patrons have their 'up to' set. Of course, per-page generally rewards higher output, which could contribute to burnout.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Motherfucker posted:

I know you assholes are gonna jump down my wizened scotch hardened throat for this but Poppy just seems like a furry webcomic with some weird magic anime poo poo going on and I don't get why its such a break away hit with goon-

You know what, I think I get it.

It's a competently-made furry comic, and every non-furry comic that generates any discussion chain greater than 5 posts in a row has been jettisoned to its own thread so there's not much else to talk about. This is the end of civilization.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 16, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Our Furry Overlords are consuming my flesh as we speak

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
It's not the shape of the characters that's really a problem, but the setting.

Poppy's world is weird, and complicated, and hard to relate to, and needs to be constantly drip-explained to readers (magic! lucky stars! dragon blood! dying prophetic dads! creepy immortal octopus lady! secret monkey magicians! etc!) without resorting to huge textual infodumps - while at the same time telling interesting stories. This has taken for-loving-ever, so it's no wonder Morbi's despondent of finishing before the Earth is swallowed by the sun.

There's a reason a lot of fantasy stories are set in a world of "just like us but with X"
- just like us but with talking animals
- just like us but with sentient AI and robots
- just like us but with magic
- just like us but with gamers sitting on couches
because you only have to explain the difference, the X, from the world we live in - you don't have to explain the entire universe from the ground up.

Yeah it's lazy, but it works - the author can concentrate on telling a relatable story, not filling in details.

(It's also bad for a serial story that a new reader needs to read the entire back catalogue to have the faintest idea of what's going on)

Not to say you can't have weird alien worlds for a story setting, but you'd better be drat good at not getting bogged down needing to exactly detail the world for the stories to work. In Poppy, the background became a necessary part of the plot, and that made it bloat up real fast. In the time and space constrained medium of a (web)comic that's unworkable.

All IMdumbO. :downs:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
lol If you have difficulties in telling a complete story with over 200 pages.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Motherfucker posted:

I know you assholes are gonna jump down my wizened scotch hardened throat for this but Poppy just seems like a furry webcomic with some weird magic anime poo poo going on and I don't get why its such a break away hit with goon-

You know what, I think I get it.

Same reason people enjoy Lackadaisy. The characters in Lackadaisy are also animal people but that's not really the point. There's way more to being furry than the presence of animal people my friend.

Go check out the Major\Minor LP in the LP subforum if you wanna see what that subculture can look like. :shepicide:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Same reason people enjoy Lackadaisy. The characters in Lackadaisy are also animal people but that's not really the point. There's way more to being furry than the presence of animal people my friend.

Go check out the Major\Minor LP in the LP subforum if you wanna see what that subculture can look like. :shepicide:

Pro-click. Major\Minor is an amazingly captivating trainwreck and utterly undeserving of the stellar LP it's getting.

Also yeah Lackadaisy is the perfect counter argument because the fact that they are all cats is 100% a visual design choice and has nothing to do with the story itself. Plus, the author has done a shitton of alternate artwork showing the cast as actual humans, so it's kind of a matter of "okay, here's what these people actually look like, if you're that uncomfortable with them all being adorable cartoon cats."

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lackadaisy works because the character design reflects and strengthens the tone of the series and the characters themselves.

All I know of Major/Minor is what I just looked at on its Steam page, but the characters appear to be anthros for no actual reason, and that's okay for occasional characters to add variety to the cast, such as in fantasy/sci-fi series, but once it becomes the entirety of your cast then people are going to ask why. And if it doesn't bring something to the story, setting, tone or themes that a human cast wouldn't comfortably do then that's when it drops into niche interest territory by default, regardless of any actual weird or creepy content.

Although going 'b-b-but furries!' about Lackadaisy of all things is just adorable.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 16, 2017

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

I've said it before, but when you get right down to it, Bugs Bunny is just a big talking rabbit, too. Most people seem pretty okay with that. Who even gives a poo poo if the main character is some kind of animal person? I've read things where the main character was a robot or a four-foot tall hairy-footed kleptomaniac or a zombie wizard or the personification of the concept of death and it doesn't make a drat bit of difference in the end. All that's important is that interesting stuff happens in the story and that whatever the main character is plays into it.

you are a furry

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Morbi, why not collaborate with a colorist in exchange for a share of any profits going forward? Less money, but also less work for you.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Neophyte posted:

(It's also bad for a serial story that a new reader needs to read the entire back catalogue to have the faintest idea of what's going on)

lol what webcomics besides lovely gag-a-day ones can be read serially and still be coherent? Don't get me wrong, the fact that 1. the majority of people jump into webcomics to write their epic graphic novel spanning hundreds or thousands of pages while 2. not being able to produce more than a page a week month is a serious hang-up. But you can't really fault any individual person for that.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Typical Pubbie posted:

Morbi, why not collaborate with a colorist in exchange for a share of any profits going forward? Less money, but also less work for you.

Don't think Poppy produces enough money for a colorist to be worth it.

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Everdraed posted:

yo Morbi been meaning to say this for a while but I think Poppy owns, it has fun panel event pacing and the character designs are tremendously good, especially the facial expressions which you always manage to make a treat. when it comes to moment to moment enjoyment of seeing characters bounce off of each other with dialogue and body action it's currently the most compelling webcomic of which I'm aware; v. high level of art'ing and truly great panel detail work on a strong backbone of characterization.

do what ya gotta do to make it something you can continue, enjoy, and finish in a reasonable amount of time. If you're feeling more passionate about writing, then doing illustrated stories seems like a good way to go. The winter story's use of illustration felt a little weak as images weren't super frequent, and also generally disconnected from the content of the story as asides, but I think you could find a good balance. The original moomin books did a nice job of it, including formatting text + illustration to support each other. Even for text there's a visual aesthetic space you can play with:

this might align with trying out more multimedia concepts in general, such as having cool audio-talented fans make music you embed as a background track to a story page or doing a bit of animation to punctuate an illustration. those sort of neat little change ups can help with the ever-encroaching monotony (and might be why the winter content was so refreshing to you). dunno how much writing you've done in general but I'd definitely recommend finding a cool editor you trust to give some oversight and feedback if you decide to go heavy with text moving forward, that sort of oversight is super helpful for any media project of any significant length honestly.

and if you do end up going web novel route, there's nothing stopping you from being more art-lavish on particularly important sections of story, or saying 'hey this is a climax to action so I'll do a page summarizing then a few pages to end the arc on.'

have you done any other comic (or illustrated story) concepts during Poppy's 300 pages? it might be worth lowering output on Poppy and trying something/s new and forcibly short, self-contained, to test out possible new formats and to see if it breaks your funk.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, Everdraed, I agree with your thoughts on the Snow Thanks story, as I originally had more illustrations planned that I couldn't get to while balancing the comic updates. In particular, I wanted to include diagrams for Eggton and its sun lamp system, and some drawings with a more stylized look to accompany the horror story Petunia was reading.
Going ahead, I already have a few fiction-saavy confidants that I plan to share my work with and get feedback regarding where a visual element could enhance or clear up a confusing batch of text. I also have some close creator friends who have already dabbled in multi-media and video/game development, so I'll try talking to them about how they do formatting and audio-visual design. It could be neat to try and develop a soundtrack for Poppy, even if it's just by commissioning an outside composer.

I have done one other short comic for an adult anthology, and I'm working on a sequel, which has been refreshing if only for the change in content. I'm also currently experimenting with putting some other, self-contained stories I've been holding onto into text, although I'd like to illustrate them as well. In general, I think I'd like to see novels take on more visual elements, because I think a lot about how frustrating it is to develop a "look" for a character or setting in your head, only to have it clash whenever an official design is revealed after the fact.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

are you making poppy as your day job?

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND

Hogge Wild posted:

are you making poppy as your day job?

Currently. I'm looking into other career options, though, both short and long-term.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
imagine being paranoid about liking furry poo poo in t.y.o.o.l 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

imagine being paranoid about liking furry poo poo in t.y.o.o.l 2017

You can tell whenever the subject pops up cause this thread explodes in post count suddenly and you see a bunch of people who normally rarely post in this thread appear out of nowhere in droves. It's like a seasonal thing at this point.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Humans are just so boring to draw! Ugh

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i think it's possible to criticize poppy for reasons other than 'it is a furry comic'. i read the first couple of chapters and the writing didn't work for me at all. i still wish the best for the creator, though.

Morbi, have you considered working with another artist, to allow you to focus more on the writing while still keeping the webcomic format? something like the setup that anthony clark/kc green's Back has. I don't know if it'd be financially viable, but if it was, it seems like it'd address both of the issues you mentioned.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

the author's comments posted:

comments are off until further notice, gg

welp, rip Never Satisfied's comment section

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Comment sections tend to universally be terrible, so I don't blame them.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

"teenager A is making a stupid decision, let me explain why they should be murdered"
"actually it is teenager B that should be murdered"

i don't know if there exists a place on earth with the resources to moderate a comment section into decency

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
character kicks another

this momentous event deserves commemoration.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

character kicks another

this momentous event deserves commemoration.

also apparently flame wars about which fictional teenager deserves to die

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Huitzilopochtli will not be sated until the blood of all the fictional teenagers have fed his altar :black101:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nuns with Guns posted:

welp, rip Never Satisfied's comment section

Hopefully the author comments are next.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, Kiwi Blitz is finally going back to bi-weekly updates starting on Monday June 26th, just in time for the start of its final(?) chapter, one named very pointedly after a song with a music video where nearly everyone involved dies brutally. Interesting...

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I preferred the Vendetta/CAD style of bird hair, bad comics these days are too unsubtle

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I preferred the Vendetta/CAD style of bird hair, bad comics these days are too unsubtle

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, Kiwi Blitz is finally going back to bi-weekly updates starting on Monday June 26th, just in time for the start of its final(?) chapter, one named very pointedly after a song with a music video where nearly everyone involved dies brutally. Interesting...

Man, it feels weird to think of Kiwi Blitz ending. It's been like 10 years since I first found her stuff on Deviantart and I still remember a bunch of the old concepts. It's really neat to see a teenage passion project get to this point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems like just yesterday that it was the Law of Talos OC tournament, and Steffi and Benzene were just two more randos in the series of characters with elaborate backstories that the creator would have all these plans for but never really do anything. They got knocked out in round 2 by a fancy flash animation, but it's really amazing to see how far Mary Cagle has come since then.

It's really nice to see one of those deviantart dreamers actually accomplish something rather than just stewing in unrealized plans.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Man, it feels weird to think of Kiwi Blitz ending. It's been like 10 years since I first found her stuff on Deviantart and I still remember a bunch of the old concepts. It's really neat to see a teenage passion project get to this point.

I think it's so she can focus on sleepless domain.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"Escape through the pantry? No, that's where mum keeps all her bones and chains and that".

http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20170619

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's kind of funny to remember that LSE strip where she said she likes sleep too much to be a mangaka. And yet, here she is.

• Locked thread