Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Red Symons has come under fire following an interview with an ABC Radio podcaster, in which he asked the host if she was "yellow" and "What's the deal with Asians?".

The former Hey Hey It's Saturday star – who hosts ABC Radio Melbourne's Breakfast slot – was interviewing ABC Radio presenter Beverley Wang about her new podcast It's Not a Race, when the conversation took an immediate uncomfortable turn.

Opening the interview, Symons told Wang he was "not happy" over her show because he had a similar idea for a radio segment about "contemporary race issues in Australia".

"Except my segment was called 'What's the deal with Asians?'," he said.

Ah race and Australia, two things that go well together.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I bet this old white guy has a super hot take on other ethnicities lmao

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Obligatory:

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.
if you live in austrlaia you're racist, qed

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/CaseyBriggs/status/875350069297283072

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

open24hours posted:

The solution to homelessness: get welfare slaves to build a shanty town.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2017/jun/07/boxed-life-inside-hong-kong-coffin-cubicles-cage-homes-in-pictures

I can guarantee those won't be "designed really well". Every architect that touts that their own "model is innovative, holistic, scaleable, flexible" doesn't know poo poo about designing a functional space

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Red Symons potentially hosting a show called what's the deal with Asians is funny as hell though.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Junkee posted:

Symons: “Do they speak Mandarin or Cantonese?”

Wang: “Who’s ‘they’?”

Symons: “The people in Taiwan”

Wang: “They speak Taiwanese and they speak Mandarin. And in Canada where I’m from, they speak English and French.”

Symons: “I knew that. You’re probably from the west coast of Canada.”

Wang: “Why do you think that, Red?”

Symons: “Because it’s closer to Asia.”

Symons: “I remember thinking at the time that it had become uncomfortable because Harry Connick Jr felt most uncomfortable with someone wearing what is alleged to be blackface.”

Wang: “Why is it alleged to be blackface?”

Symons: “Well, because there was white face and there was brown face and there was black face. There was a variety of faces.”

Wang: “Sure, but it wasn’t ‘alleged’ blackface. The make-up is there. It’s definitely black make-up.”

Symons: “And there is apparently a blanket caveat against that?”

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

screaden posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2017/jun/07/boxed-life-inside-hong-kong-coffin-cubicles-cage-homes-in-pictures

I can guarantee those won't be "designed really well". Every architect that touts that their own "model is innovative, holistic, scaleable, flexible" doesn't know poo poo about designing a functional space

90% odds of them being insanely flammable.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Red Faces blackface Harry Connick Jr broadcast was basically our moon landing.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

The Red Faces blackface Harry Connick Jr broadcast was basically our moon landing.

I feel like if one were to pull old tapes from Hey Hey It's Saturday and try to watch them, you'd spend the entire time vomiting into your own disgust :barf:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

Red Symons potentially hosting a show called what's the deal with Asians is funny as hell though.

Would you say he was Living in the 70s?

Or that he was Hot for the Orient?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Craig is notably the only Liberal who is really an idealist for classical Liberalism. He's for Palestine, refugees, the ABC, not changing the racial discrimination act, and while personally for religious beliefs for same sex marriage would always vote for it.

No doubt Abbott loathes the main as a traitor.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Here is the full audio if you want it,
still up on ABC for now.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Anecdotes about him are starting to come out too

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Latham vs. Symonds vs. Abbott vs. Hildebrand vs. Descending spike ceiling cage match please.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Lid posted:

Craig is notably the only Liberal who is really an idealist for classical Liberalism. He's for Palestine, refugees, the ABC, not changing the racial discrimination act, and while personally for religious beliefs for same sex marriage would always vote for it.

No doubt Abbott loathes the main as a traitor.

If my 1.5% margin electorate included Homebush Lidcombe and part of Auburn I'd adopt those positions too.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

If you think her opinions aren't lovely, then I think we've found the problem

Really? If you think they are lovely, and all you've got is whats described in that junkee article, that's an interesting discussion in itself. A mother can't tell her daughter to take reasonable care not to put herself at extra risk by becoming completely intoxicated, because that's victim blaming? We're that incapable of nuance? That's concerning. And arguably actually dangerous.

Gorilla Salad posted:

The pointing of the "more Left than thou" finger seems a lot more cutting than usual and I'm personally having a really hard time seeing where that unpleasantness is coming from unless you take it as an excuse to openly hate on a woman who has gone and succeeded in life on her own terms by making a profession out of having an opinion.

Exactly, thank you. That's why I came here, to try and understand where that unpleasantness is coming from, and all that's really been proven is that it is in fact largely baseless. No one has actually backed up any of the accusations.

A lot of it definitely is gendered, but then you get the attacks from places like Pedestrian and Junkee and the rest of the Left. They absolutely would go after a man, and normally if anyone makes any kind of gendered attack they love jumping all over them, which is why this is interesting. I'd hate to think it was as crass as one digital media agency throwing stones at another, but it does look a bit like that. They pick up on some tweets and run with it. Perhaps there are some really strong collective sub-conscious biases going on.

Because even the crime here is questionable and a potentially interesting discussion in itself, but we haven't even had a chance to get there yet. Is saying that the publicist asked how big the lift was really so horrible? "Despicable, Shameful, Humiliating etc"? Roxanne said it was, so that definitely counts for something, but are we happy to let that be the final say? It's not like her size and the effects it has on day to day life were a secret, it's literally what they were there to discuss. Here is what Gay said to This American Life: "... There's another level. I mean, then there's when you're super morbidly obese, where you can't really even find stores that can accommodate you. You don't fit in any public spaces, like movie theaters, public bathrooms, so on and so forth.". So she can say it, and Mia can't. Which is understandable and fair enough, but hardly ground for the backlash she's experienced. Is there something there I'm missing?

Mia is a huge fan who loves Gay, she wasn't putting her down or making fun of her, it wasn't 'lol fat people', it was 'here's something interesting about fat people I learned today which you may not have considered but which perhaps you should'. It was a mistake, but like I said before, I think a part of it was that Roxanne didn't actually know the questions her publicist asked, and was shocked and embarrassed to learn about them. So her initial mortified tweets carried accusations of dishonesty, which further inflamed the issue.

Everyone picks up their swords and leaps to Gay's defense and trips over themselves to show off how appalled and how brutally heart achingly sorry they are, and the pitchforks come out. There are also strong elements of "relative privilege". When you have a big bisexual woman of colour claiming she was upset by something an average sized straight white woman said, everyone just automatically takes the former's side by default. And that's concerning as well. It's not helpful or healthy, for both the left in particular or society in general. It's actually faintly patronising - like Gay is this really weak porcelain doll we failed to shield from this appalling attack, despite being a professional adult who is a published author and respected academic.

Its absolutely important not to Kick Down, but we need to actually look at the "kicks" in question. And Mia looks pretty down at the moment, and the kicks shes getting are a way worse than what she did.

I think really some of it comes from mamamia's history of clickbait-y listicle type journalism. It was annoying fluffy pop, it was new and different, it caught on, filled up a lot of people's feeds, with some stuff which was women's issues and some stuff which was a bit dumb, both of which weren't universally appreciated. And so that has defined her character in the public view, and makes these pile ons ok.

I only listen to the Mamamia Out Loud podcast, which is generally good, thoughtful, progressive, topical weekly discussion. The No Filter podcast can be good if the guest is interesting, and the This Glorious Mess is a good one too. I don't read the website or the facebook, and so if they're a bit stupid or annoying (which glancing at them I can believe), that probably explains some / a lot of the hate. But I don't see that, I just see the podcasts, so the attacks seem egraroius to me.

It might sound silly but I think Mia's is an important voice and we're worse off if we kill it like this.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/labor-must-not-misinterpret-jeremy-corbyns-failure-as-success-20170615-gwroc2.html

loving lol

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
There have been a large number of legitimate criticisms made of Mia Freedman, you have just ignored or dismissed them and continued ploughing on into the third day of your bizarre crusade to defend her honour.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

quote:

But it is meant to serve as a salutary warning. Parties of the left have a bad habit of celebrating glorious losses. I prefer to celebrate victories.

:cripes:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

racing identity posted:

There have been a large number of legitimate criticisms made of Mia Freedman, you have just ignored or dismissed them and continued ploughing on into the third day of your bizarre crusade to defend her honour.

I haven't ignored them or dismissed them, I've quoted them and discussed them, and they don't appear to be legitimate (or large in number), that's the point. Everyone else has ignored or dismissed my discussion.

I think the attitude to the pile on is more bizarre than my questions, and calling my questions a bizarre crusade is bizarre in itself.

But yeah, it's going round in circles.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Mia has gone after young female reporters who have written things she doesn't like and told them they'll never work in this town if they don't change stories. I didn't weigh in on this because I can't find where it came up now but that is more than reason enough for me to dislike her and not want a bar of anything she has to say / do.

Rich kid getting bankrolled by parents to set up a media empire that shits on people doing it the hard way and using feminism as her angle rather than as a principle isn't what I would hold up as a beacon.

foolish_fool
Jul 22, 2010
I don't think we should really pile on anyone, but if we are going to pile on Andrew bolt or Caleb bond or beautiful daisy or Donald trump it seems reasonable that we could also pile on mia Freedman.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
help, this lady who owns and runs a media platform is being silenced

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've only just realized she named the loving site after herself. :cripes:

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
*extremely Mario voice* Mamma Mia!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mia Freedman is a bad boss and a total neolib shithead there is nothing wrong with having a crack at her, or her bullshit publication.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Hobo Erotica posted:

Really? If you think they are lovely, and all you've got is whats described in that junkee article, that's an interesting discussion in itself. A mother can't tell her daughter to take reasonable care not to put herself at extra risk by becoming completely intoxicated, because that's victim blaming? We're that incapable of nuance? That's concerning. And arguably actually dangerous.

Exactly, thank you. That's why I came here, to try and understand where that unpleasantness is coming from, and all that's really been proven is that it is in fact largely baseless. No one has actually backed up any of the accusations.

A lot of it definitely is gendered, but then you get the attacks from places like Pedestrian and Junkee and the rest of the Left. They absolutely would go after a man, and normally if anyone makes any kind of gendered attack they love jumping all over them, which is why this is interesting. I'd hate to think it was as crass as one digital media agency throwing stones at another, but it does look a bit like that. They pick up on some tweets and run with it. Perhaps there are some really strong collective sub-conscious biases going on.

Because even the crime here is questionable and a potentially interesting discussion in itself, but we haven't even had a chance to get there yet. Is saying that the publicist asked how big the lift was really so horrible? "Despicable, Shameful, Humiliating etc"? Roxanne said it was, so that definitely counts for something, but are we happy to let that be the final say? It's not like her size and the effects it has on day to day life were a secret, it's literally what they were there to discuss. Here is what Gay said to This American Life: "... There's another level. I mean, then there's when you're super morbidly obese, where you can't really even find stores that can accommodate you. You don't fit in any public spaces, like movie theaters, public bathrooms, so on and so forth.". So she can say it, and Mia can't. Which is understandable and fair enough, but hardly ground for the backlash she's experienced. Is there something there I'm missing?

Mia is a huge fan who loves Gay, she wasn't putting her down or making fun of her, it wasn't 'lol fat people', it was 'here's something interesting about fat people I learned today which you may not have considered but which perhaps you should'. It was a mistake, but like I said before, I think a part of it was that Roxanne didn't actually know the questions her publicist asked, and was shocked and embarrassed to learn about them. So her initial mortified tweets carried accusations of dishonesty, which further inflamed the issue.

Everyone picks up their swords and leaps to Gay's defense and trips over themselves to show off how appalled and how brutally heart achingly sorry they are, and the pitchforks come out. There are also strong elements of "relative privilege". When you have a big bisexual woman of colour claiming she was upset by something an average sized straight white woman said, everyone just automatically takes the former's side by default. And that's concerning as well. It's not helpful or healthy, for both the left in particular or society in general. It's actually faintly patronising - like Gay is this really weak porcelain doll we failed to shield from this appalling attack, despite being a professional adult who is a published author and respected academic.

Its absolutely important not to Kick Down, but we need to actually look at the "kicks" in question. And Mia looks pretty down at the moment, and the kicks shes getting are a way worse than what she did.

I think really some of it comes from mamamia's history of clickbait-y listicle type journalism. It was annoying fluffy pop, it was new and different, it caught on, filled up a lot of people's feeds, with some stuff which was women's issues and some stuff which was a bit dumb, both of which weren't universally appreciated. And so that has defined her character in the public view, and makes these pile ons ok.

I only listen to the Mamamia Out Loud podcast, which is generally good, thoughtful, progressive, topical weekly discussion. The No Filter podcast can be good if the guest is interesting, and the This Glorious Mess is a good one too. I don't read the website or the facebook, and so if they're a bit stupid or annoying (which glancing at them I can believe), that probably explains some / a lot of the hate. But I don't see that, I just see the podcasts, so the attacks seem egraroius to me.

It might sound silly but I think Mia's is an important voice and we're worse off if we kill it like this.

Not reading that.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Mia Freedman is a bad boss and a total neolib shithead there is nothing wrong with having a crack at her, or her bullshit publication.

Totally not empty quoting

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Hobo Erotica posted:

I haven't ignored them or dismissed them, I've quoted them and discussed them, and they don't appear to be legitimate (or large in number), that's the point. Everyone else has ignored or dismissed my discussion.

I think the attitude to the pile on is more bizarre than my questions, and calling my questions a bizarre crusade is bizarre in itself.

But yeah, it's going round in circles.

She's a prominent talking head (or at least, has tried to point herself out as one) who definitely fits into the "FYGM" school of media management (and media relations woof) and who has simultaneously failed to ever build up the kind of cachet of respect or affection that someone like a Lisa Wilkinson has.

When you aim to put yourself out there as much as she has and fail to get people to like you, the first time you very publicly gently caress up is going to be followed by pile on. That's what has occurred here. If you don't like it, or if you think people are being disrespectful to such a successful woman or that she has a voice that should be heard, that's fine.
Literally everyone else here disagrees with you and you aren't going to change anyone's mind, but hey I've heard slamming your skull into a brick wall over and over again is good for some people.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 16, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I don't recall anyone talking about the Mia comments about Gay at all until you came in here looking for outrage?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I miss pavel

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
As a woman, I think Mia Freedman is a shithead, irrespective of her vagina-having status.

Sad Wendigo
Jul 23, 2007

Nap Ghost

Blow posted:

I'm pretty sure that by just being the POTUS the dude can gently caress us over in a myriad of ways if he so chooses to. I'm not saying the USA will nuke us.

No-one likes to be made fun of, to be the butt of a joke, to look like a fuckwit, to be embarrassed, it's a universal thing I think. Just depends on how you take it. Do you roll with it, or rage against the humiliation?

Donald will not take it well I feel. He remembers slights.

It's OK. Trump will declare war on Mt Trumble; President of Austria.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

HookShot posted:

As a woman, I think Mia Freedman is a shithead, irrespective of her vagina-having status.

As a mother (bear) I think I'm going to eat you one of these days for coming too close to my cubs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

HookShot posted:

All of my female friends perceive her as a politically clueless mums and bubs wanker. Then again I think Clementine Ford is Andrew Bolt for girls so maybe I should get on the Mia train.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

JBP posted:

Then again I think Clementine Ford is Andrew Bolt for girls so maybe I should get on the Mia train.

Miranda Devine Exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Schlesische posted:

Miranda Devine Exists.

She is a low altitude flyer as far as generating massive waves of outrage is concerned.

• Locked thread