Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Midniter posted:

Why does he need a kidney? Is it due to a life of poor dietary choices? I have a really hard time finding sympathy for those types of people, since their refusal to eat like a responsible adult means that you may have to undergo serious surgery just to prolong their lives, which will most likely be artificially shortened anyway due to other issues having to do with lifestyle.

What I'm getting at is that if you're on the fence about it and the need for the transplant is his fault, keep your kidney.

If it's for a reason other than lifestyle choice, you're a bad son (just kidding, it's an extremely difficult decision either way).

So basically I have no advice for you.

HTH

He smoked and drank his whole life, but that's not what killed his kidneys. Last year he had some kind of weird blood infection that knocked out both kidneys and ruined two heart valves. He had to have emergency open heart surgery and has a pig valve and a cow valve now but they couldn't do anything for his kidneys but wait and see if they would come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CornHolio posted:

Ugh, man. My dad's had kidney failure since October, and he's actively looking for a donor. He has five siblings but they're all apparently too old to be a donor. I have two brothers, but one is on high blood pressure medication and probably couldn't be a donor.

I really don't want to do it. Am I a selfish rear end in a top hat? He hasn't asked me but I'm sure he never would.

Watch the HBO documentary "Tales from the Organ Trade." Among other things, it shows a family going through an identical issue with a daughter making the same choice. You can see how it looks externally from that video.

They've made it tough to find. It's no longer on HBO properties, but it's only a few bucks to stream. I use it in class because it's an excellent example of a situation where there is no "right" answer, because it is so complex and intertwined with many moral issues.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

please do not sacrifice the rest of your life to give a boomer maybe another five or ten years (unless you really like them in which case idk)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

funny Star Wars parody posted:

please do not sacrifice the rest of your life to give a boomer maybe another five or ten years (unless you really like them in which case idk)

??? FYI, people can live perfectly full and complete lives with one kidney. Your hated of boomers knows no bounds, I guess. Would you deny one of your parents a kidney if it'd give them another five or ten years?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 15, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Complex issue, complex answer, and we don't have all the information.

Do not devolve this into a shouting match about boomers or ungratefulness or whatever while CornHolio sits here having to make a big decision about his and his dad's lives. I'll ding you for it.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 15, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Looks like it's baby o'clock y'all! Just got admitted to the hospital about 30 minutes ago. This little dude is about to make his entrance :woop:

Hope everyone comes out okay!

slidebite posted:

I think I was about the only person left on the planet that never saw a single second of Game of Thrones, so borrowed S1 from the library yesterday. Had enough time to watch E1 last night.

That was ... a thing. I could see some binge watching in my future.

:catstare:

You know, on one hand it's kind of pulpy trash but on the other hand it's highly addictive. I absolutely love it. Every time a new season comes out I re-watch all of them first. It's a show that can definitely surprise you out of nowhere on a regular basis, which is drat hard to do these days. Also some of the characters are brilliant. One of my favorite exchanges:

"The Lord of Light wants his enemies burned. The Drowned God wants them drowned. Why are all the gods such vicious cunts? Where is the god of tits and wine?"

"In the Summer Isles. They worship the fertility goddess with sixteen teats."

"We should sail there immediately."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Complex issue, complex answer, and we don't have all the information.

Do not devolve this into a shouting match about boomers or ungratefulness or whatever while CornHolio sits here having to make a big decision about his and his dad's lives. I'll ding you for it.

I don't know if you're looking at sending me to dingtown, but it is a complex issue and CornHolio brought it up for discussion. You've pretty much stifled that discussion, because talking about either choice could be seen as shouting about "x."

(BTW, I recommend that documentary to all reading this. There are many levels to both the decision and the multinational resources available to first-world kidney needers.)

Top replying b/c I don't want to deal with this. I'll just remove myself from the conversation topic.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 15, 2017

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I was talking about both you and fSWp. I'm asking for everyone to be civil in light of a pretty heavy decision.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Waking up to the bed shaking and the sounds of jackhammers is always fun. :shepicide:

Guess they started foundation work on my building a couple of weeks early.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

??? FYI, people can live perfectly full and complete lives with one kidney. Your hated of boomers knows no bounds, I guess. Would you deny one of your parents a kidney if it'd give them another five or ten years?

Oh hmm I thought that you needed more medical attention and were more susceptible to sickness with only one kidney. I guess I should have googled before :justpost:ing

also wrt boomer, in this case i mostly meant someone who does not have much time left (on average) compared to other people.

Adiabatic posted:

I was talking about both you and fSWp. I'm asking for everyone to be civil in light of a pretty heavy decision.

yeah i never meant to come off as uncivil, i'm on 3 hours of sleep because the witcher 3 is v good and i am v irresponsible

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

slidebite posted:

I think I was about the only person left on the planet that never saw a single second of Game of Thrones, so borrowed S1 from the library yesterday. Had enough time to watch E1 last night.

That was ... a thing. I could see some binge watching in my future.

My girlfriend was given tickets to a Thrones tour in Ireland and asked if I wanted to go on the proviso that I watch the show. I relented aaaaaaaaaand it's actually really good. Basically don't fall in love with any character and your heart won't get broken. :'(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Waking up to the bed shaking and the sounds of jackhammers is always fun. :shepicide:

Are you sure it was foundation work? :quagmire:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Basically don't fall in love with any character and your heart won't get broken. :'(

Except Dany because drat.

Also the Bad Lip Reading is a must watch for both fans and haters. I think it's fairly spoiler-free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone need a used laptop before I list them in Goon Mart? I've got a Lenovo W520 and X220 I don't use anymore.

Car related: Tracked down one of the Celica's owners... from 1994. Owns a DJ business in Cali. Going to give him a call today and see what he knows about the car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Thank you everyone! Babby Heroic arrived this morning about 8:30. It was a long night but labor progressed steady but slow for a long time. No complications though, mom and baby are great!

Re: 3 kids and M3 - we will just have to wait until they outgrow car seat phase to take it out as a family. The Flex is still entertaining enough to haul the family around that I don't get bored. :)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

the spyder posted:

Anyone need a used laptop before I list them in Goon Mart? I've got a Lenovo W520 and X220 I don't use anymore.

Car related: Tracked down one of the Celica's owners... from 1994. Owns a DJ business in Cali. Going to give him a call today and see what he knows about the car.

I'm still using my x220. Best purchase ever. I even bought another off-lease one for the wife.
I'm probably about into about $300-400 for both of them but they've both got SSD's and are maxed out on ram and have the travel lenovo bluetooth mice.

Does yours have that pretty IPS screen?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

the spyder posted:

Depending on the specs and price, I might be interested in the x220.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cursedshitbox posted:

Now that you mention it, I think I saw my downstairs neighbor's boyfriend's truck this morning.

He's welcome to mix up our apartments annnnytime.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

everdave posted:

You can turn half that poo poo off in a deep sub-menu and most of the rest off with a Bluetooth code reader and torque or what have you. Also found it funny today on TTAC where a writer had such a poo poo show time with a rented $42k Durango and its start-stop engine (it turns the ac off wtf?) and the little shitbox baby Prius C I bought has near instant cold no motor running AC and it obviously keeps it on non-stop WTF FCA?

Dodge is probably still using the engine-driven AC compressor. Prius , and most hybrids, have an electrically driven AC compressor. Folks doing EV conversions covet those and electric-hydraulic power steering pumps.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Either that, or you got lucky at the club last night. Hey-o!

edit:

cursedshitbox posted:

Dammit!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seemingly out of nowhere the CRTC (Canada's telecom regulatory body) has banned cell phone locking effective Dec 1.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-wireless-code-cellphone-1.4161711

quote:

The era of having to pay cellular providers to unlock your cellphone will end this year.

As of Dec. 1, cellphone customers can ask their provider to unlock their phones free of charge, the CRTC announced Thursday. At the same time, it said, all newly purchased mobile devices must be provided to customers unlocked.

In other news effective Dec 1, the mobile providers will up their monthly rates 10% which they will swear is in no way tied to losing the cash cow.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 16, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Funny, we've just started watching game of thrones too

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

Depending on the specs and price, I might be interested in the x220.

I'll grab the specs tonight. Sadly I don't think it has the IPS screen.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I haven't seen GOT but I also don't really watch any TV and read the first few books like 8-10 years back

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

gimpsuitjones posted:

I haven't seen GOT but I also don't really watch any TV and read the first few books like 8-10 years back

So you are up to date on the book series then? :v:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Yeah I think so actually

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I can't watch GOT, or The Walking Dead for that matter. It just got too brutal for me.

Real life is bad enough for me.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

I can't watch GOT, or The Walking Dead for that matter. It just got too brutal for me.

Seriously. TV makes me anxious as hell. I started watching Breaking Bad and it was great but it stressed me out too much. So I just watch Simpsons reruns and try to forget about what's outside my door.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

CommieGIR posted:

monsterzero posted:

Seriously. TV makes me anxious as hell. I started watching Breaking Bad and it was great but it stressed me out too much. So I just watch Simpsons reruns and try to forget about what's outside my door.

Me too. Years of working in stressful environments means that I now don't enjoy watching TV with lots of arguing or fighting. Even a couple of episodes of Black Mirror messed me up for a day or two. Probably an indicator of some undiagnosed anxiety issue.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Same here, just not into it. I usually end up watching documentaries and anime on Netflix.

And before you judge me for watching anime, living in Japan ruined me that way ok

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Same here, just not into it. I usually end up watching documentaries and anime on Netflix.

And before you judge me for watching anime, living in Japan ruined me that way ok

No excuses for Anime-watching. :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I lived in a place where Dragon Ball Z was prime time must watch TV, like literally the top rated TV show.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CommieGIR posted:

Doesnt bother me. Personally I think it's rather interesting and in a lot of ways, reflects the absolute brutality of what GRRM took inspiration from - The War of the Roses. - and how the good guys actually don't win most of the time, they get a sword through the guts. And rulers in the Middle Ages were pretty drat hosed up.

To me GOT suffers from the fact that until the Red Wedding, the source material was pretty good (with some notible exceptions). After that point.... GRRM clearly loses the plot and has no idea how to rescue it. He just throws more and more poo poo at the wall, creating needless bullshit too hard to work out that is written by a toddler with crayon. The TV series follows the same decline in quality.

The other issue goes back to the notable exceptions part. There is some complete loving poo poo GRRM rear end blasted onto paper that the TV series has to follow as it's important to other plot threads, like Daenerys esp later in her wanderings. We cant skip that because dragons are obviously important vs White Walkers.. and yet it is dire writing and how bad it is is reflected on the TV.

However all that I suspect wont mater jack poo poo for season 7 as the TV writers have only the main plot points to work with now and hence a vastly narrower scope of story to base from. This is a good thing as it will allow a tight focused story without ridiculous side steps.

One thing that both GRM and Robert Jordan never learnt from Tolkein was don't loving plot bloat. Keep it focused - in all honesty Tolkein started to have this problem about the point Faramir was introduced int he Window to the West chapter but he managed to refocus and also turn the love interest trope that Eowyn looked like being into Eowyn the epic bad guy slayer and Faramir the love interest of said epic warrior.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

WOW SPOILERS GUYS CMON

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I am tom bombadil irl

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

QuarkMartial posted:

Me too. Years of working in stressful environments means that I now don't enjoy watching TV with lots of arguing or fighting. Even a couple of episodes of Black Mirror messed me up for a day or two. Probably an indicator of some undiagnosed anxiety issue.

I never really thought about it but I'd say this is me to a T. Its pretty unusual for me to watch anything other than a comedy or Roadkill et al

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

angryrobots posted:

I am tom bombadil irl

Neither a merry dong, nor dillo. I'm not buying it. :colbert:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Say there dol, merry dol, your truck is stuck-a-dillo in a field ahum-brum

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

:lol:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

angryrobots posted:

Answer me this please then to decide the ever aged argument.... what the everliving gently caress are you exactly?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Answer me this please then to decide the ever aged argument.... what the everliving gently caress are you exactly?????

if u actually read the books u would see that tom bombadil is jesus christ ok

• Locked thread