Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

Parts Kit posted:

RIP Greirat, you were too nice for this world.

I've seen a bunch of guides say don't send him out for his third looting run, as he always dies.

However - if you find his ashes on the grand Archives roof area and give them to the shrine handmaid, she will sell unlimited Lightning Urns, which as far as I know is the only way to get them. And they are fantastic for faith builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I got a PS3 finally so now I can finish Demon's Souls. :toot:

I'm going to play as a dex/int character for fun. Should I bother with npc quests my first time through?

I just started a replay! I'd definitely recommend doing Astrava or Oscar's quest, whatever his name is. The golden knight dude.
The ending of that is insanely good. There's another NPC that helps you with the Penetrator boss but I can't remember who. It's definitely worth doing.

Such a good game!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i can't remember what the spell is but the one that lets you resist 90% of physical damage was fun i just cast it then smashed away with my magic falchion i found early on

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just started a replay! I'd definitely recommend doing Astrava or Oscar's quest, whatever his name is. The golden knight dude.
The ending of that is insanely good. There's another NPC that helps you with the Penetrator boss but I can't remember who. It's definitely worth doing.

Such a good game!

For me it's cool playing Demon's after all the others because you can see where everything came from and exactly why they ditched what they did. The weapon upgrading is real rough though. :v:

Besides some npc stuff I'm not looking up how to get anything either. I think it'll be fun to go in without help for once (though that was most of the draw for DS1 for me; figuring it all out together).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HaB posted:

Fooled around with the build planner with BOTH of these ideas. Starting a Pyro, I can use the Zwei two handed only 4 levels in. Can get Vit to 40 by lvl 36.

Only problem is early-game. The Zwei is gonna suck until I get to Anor Londo and can make it Lightning, since I will be using it with minimum stats for a base AR of 260 at +10. I mean...that's not terrible, but it's not great.

Nab the Gravelord Sword right off the bat, just run straight from Firelink to Nito. It does a hell of a lot of damage in the early game with no investment and it's great for stun locking.

edit: Also, don't bother with the Duke's Archives skip. Just eat the death and accept that Dark Souls 1 has a death you're not supposed to avoid. Doing that is infinitely less frustrating than dying while doing the Duke's Archives skip, a thing that is real easy to do.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

HaB posted:

Only problem with this is: doesn't jive at ALL with my playstyle. I never even mid roll, much less fat roll.

Ah gently caress. I think I may have attempted this ONCE when it was first found. Guess I will have to practice, and do the Duke's as the first post-Lordvessel area, so if I blow it, I can just stop the run.

It was a joke :v: Just say that the mandatory death doesn't count.

Professional speedrunners (people who literally speedrun games on Twitch for a living) can't reliably nail Duke's Skip.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Sapozhnik posted:

It was a joke :v: Just say that the mandatory death doesn't count.

Professional speedrunners (people who literally speedrun games on Twitch for a living) can't reliably nail Duke's Skip.

I don't know what the actual "rules" for the run say. Anyway - I have started. Taurus down, Gargoyles down. Spent the Garg souls on upgrading the Zwei to +5. Already got Vit up to 20 as well.

It won't be fast. But it's been interesting so far. I have come close to dying in a couple of really stupid ways. It has taught me caution.

Annnnnnnnd that attempt ended by a Hollow Thief in the Lower Burg. Bled me. :(

HaB fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 15, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'd pay good money for a mod to mix the game up rogue like style. I mean all in, random, barely coherent maps, random weapons, random enemies.. permadeath.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'd pay good money for a mod to mix the game up rogue like style. I mean all in, random, barely coherent maps, random weapons, random enemies.. permadeath.

Hollows somehow end up replaced with Beds of Chaos in one run. :v:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Jose posted:

i can't remember what the spell is but the one that lets you resist 90% of physical damage was fun i just cast it then smashed away with my magic falchion i found early on

Iron Flesh

But it got nerfed later on.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

HaB posted:

Annnnnnnnd that attempt ended by a Hollow Thief in the Lower Burg. Bled me. :(

Almost as bad as dogs...surrounded by dogs lol

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Glenn Quebec posted:

Root chalices were bad, my buddy, sorry.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This is one of the dumbest videos I've seen about Dark Souls, but I love it so much. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm7lcZiLOus

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
DS1 No-Death Run Update (DS1NDRU):

Trying to hammer out a good route. I can get the Zweihander no problem. Been dipping down for the Grass Crest Shield because I can basically only swing the Zwei once if I still want to be able to roll after. The bigger problem is: even naked, two handing the Zwei and Grass Crest on my back, I am mid-rolling until I put 2 points into End, and holy CRAP am I bad at mid-rolling. :(

My current route is:

- start Pyromancer
- Asylum Demon
- Firelink -> Zwei
- Firelink -> Darkroot via Valley of the Drakes
- Grass Crest Shield (been trying to get better at killing the Black Knight guarding it. If I can, that will solve most of the early problems)
- Parish -> Kill Tower Knight for a shard. Upgrade Zwei to +1
- Open Firelink Shortcut -> Firelink
- Burg -> Taurus
- Parish -> Gargoyles
- upgrade Zwei to +5
- Lower Burg -> Capra

That's as far as I have gotten so far. My plan is to unlock Larry next so I have access to Combustion and Pyro upgrades.

The Build is gonna be 16 Str/ 10 Dex (for Zwei), then everything else in Vit/End so I can wear good armor and keep swinging.

Current Issues:

- if I don't kill the Black Knight guarding Grass Crest - I have the aforementioned mid-roll problem. (Burg Black Knight instead? Havel? (both for souls and the ring?))
- looooool Capra Demon. I am no longer in practice on that opening roll, so I am taking on right in the teeth and it's going downhill from there fast.

Actually now that I think about it - Havel might solve a lot of the problem. He's a pretty consistently easy kill. And I'm thinking that switching back to Hand Axe & Charcoal Pine Resin is the way to go for Capra - since I can have my shield up that way. May not even bother using the Zwei as my main until I free Larry.

So yes. Suggestions are greatly welcomed. I'm not even really counting deaths yet, but I can pretty consistently make it to the Lower Burg via the above route, unless I stupidly try to kill the Black Knight with the Zwei. At +0, one hit doesn't stagger him, and I haven't found an opening yet with time enough for two.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Maybe the winged spear instead? Also against Capra I just kill the dogs right away even if I have to eat poo poo to do it. I can chug if he's alone.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Maybe the winged spear instead? Also against Capra I just kill the dogs right away even if I have to eat poo poo to do it. I can chug if he's alone.

I'm thinking I should basically stick to the Hand Axe (except for Taurus/Gargs). Fire makes both Capra and the Dogs melt really quickly. Other problem is, since I'm naked, it only takes like 3-4 hits from the dogs thru the shield for Bleed to proc. Pretty sure I can wear most of my armor if I'm using the Hand Axe.

Winged Spear would require 5 more points in Dex, too. :saddowns:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

HaB posted:

I'm thinking I should basically stick to the Hand Axe (except for Taurus/Gargs). Fire makes both Capra and the Dogs melt really quickly. Other problem is, since I'm naked, it only takes like 3-4 hits from the dogs thru the shield for Bleed to proc. Pretty sure I can wear most of my armor if I'm using the Hand Axe.

Winged Spear would require 5 more points in Dex, too. :saddowns:

Dung pies!

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

HaB posted:

- if I don't kill the Black Knight guarding Grass Crest - I have the aforementioned mid-roll problem. (Burg Black Knight instead? Havel? (both for souls and the ring?))

Are you collecting all the soul consumables on the way? You should be able to get the following souls right off the bat:

2000 - Asylum demon kill
200 - Soul of a lost undead - To the left of the path to the crow in the asylum.
800 - Soul of a nameless soldier - At the bottom of the elevator to new londo
1000 - Large soul of a nameless soldier - Behind the door when you enter the valley of the drakes.
2000 - Soul of a proud knight - In the undead dragon's left hand (furthest from you as you go in, don't grab any other items)

That's 6k souls all together which is just enough to get you to level 9, one more than you need to fast roll without having to kill the black knight.

Contra Duck fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 16, 2017

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
You also might want to grab the wolf ring early. You can grab it from dark root garden and homeward bone out without having to kill anything beyond a couple of trees and that 40 poise makes a massive difference when you have a slow weapon like the zweihander.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Contra Duck posted:

Are you collecting all the soul consumables on the way? You should be able to get the following souls right off the bat:

2000 - Asylum demon kill
200 - Soul of a lost undead - To the left of the path to the crow in the asylum.
800 - Soul of a nameless soldier - At the bottom of the elevator to new londo
1000 - Large soul of a nameless soldier - Behind the door when you enter the valley of the drakes.
2000 - Soul of a proud knight - In the undead dragon's left hand (furthest from you as you go in, don't grab any other items)

That's 6k souls all together which is just enough to get you to level 9, one more than you need to fast roll without having to kill the black knight.

Was missing the one in the Dragon's hand. I couldn't recall if grabbing anything would trigger him to wake up, or just grabbing the sword that's there. Will do that.

Good tip on the Wolf ring too, thanks Egon.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Bogart posted:

Root chalices were bad, my buddy, sorry.

I.....liked them.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Glenn Quebec posted:

I.....liked them.

That's why you're Glenn Quebec and not Glenn Tennis.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bogart posted:

That's why you're Glenn Quebec and not Glenn Tennis.

An accursed pilgrum has no place in your honourable service.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Those mixed bag feelings as you slowly play a bit at a time through again for the first time in a while.

First giant rat dog in Anor Londo. "Huh, are these easier than I remember? Aside from their wacky full body hitbox snagging me twice it was a breeze"
Round two against the second a moment later "Oh I've been one shot killed from 1,000 health while wearing 27 pounds of armor (Yeah yeah, 'Armor is useless')"

At least I just waltzed through a bunch of now dead silver knights to the Anor Londo stairway bonfire first in record time before heading after them, as insurance. Though that did remind me of why I keep going back to greatswords rather than stick with Straight Swords. I love the stance art, and it just feels like a waste of time to use a weapon where nailing pontif knight shields and silver knight shields via barbed sword stance arts isn't guard breaking them with my current strength. So I go back to a flamberge to something so my FP isn't loving wasted even when I hit the enemy shield with a "guard break" attack.

EDIT: There we go, gimme that Ring of Favor you big jerk.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 16, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Every dog in dark souls sucks to fight.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I've died to more dogs than bosses.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The DS2 ones are pretty lame. But thats offset by the fact you're playing DS2

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Steve Jorbs posted:

I've died to more dogs than bosses.

This can readily happen when you stop and realize the dogs in Irythyl could do more damage to your health bar per hit than loving up against the Pontif's basic attacks :v: (With frostbite effects on top). All the ones before then are chumps, but like everything else once you cross that bridge DS3 flips the double damage switch. I'm more proud of not dying to the Dogs than I am of beating the Pontif and bridge monster on the first shot this playthrough.

Somewhat related, I think a big reason people have issue with rats in that stretch of demon ruins is they deliberately gently caress with your expectations of how easy it is to kill them. The first ones have less health, so you can easily one shot them with any random straight sword swing. Then you kill the giant rat and are all ready to just casually sweep up the rest past it but oh, whoops, turns out they have enough extra health to barley survive your mental measurement of required swings, and now they are all right next to you real mad.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 17, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Section Z posted:

This can readily happen when you stop and realize the dogs in Irythyl could do more damage to your health bar per hit than loving up against the Pontif's basic attacks :v: (With frostbite effects on top). All the ones before then are chumps, but like everything else once you cross that bridge DS3 flips the double damage switch. I'm more proud of not dying to the Dogs than I am of beating the Pontif and bridge monster on the first shot this playthrough.

Somewhat related, I think a big reason people have issue with rats in that stretch of demon ruins is they deliberately gently caress with your expectations of how easy it is to kill them. The first ones have less health, so you can easily one shot them with any random straight sword swing. Then you kill the giant rat and are all ready to just casually sweep up the rest past it but oh, whoops, turns out they have enough extra health to barley survive your mental measurement of required swings, and now they are all right next to you real mad.

Millwood greatbow is very effective for that. Just bomb them from the top.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

hanales posted:

Millwood greatbow is very effective for that. Just bomb them from the top.

I should check that out if ever raise my DEX high enough to use greatbows this time around. Things went smoothly this time thanks to the wonders of foreknowledge (and a functional shield), though I do love me some Dragonrider bow as a backup/pull enemies option (Even if you unlock it PAST that particular area of the ruins). Id probably change my tune if I wanted to make proper use of boss weapons for once though.

it was also very liberating just saying gently caress it and running around all the basllisks for loot and then leaving without my meter maxing out :byewhore: not worth the arrows or sword slashes today guys.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Mill wood great now only requires 12 sexy I believe. I always use it on my strength builds.

E: autocorrect stands.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
Millwood bow is the rear end in a top hat invasion king.

Esp here

Or even better

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
DS1NDRU:

K the new path is working well. Just arrived safe and sound at Sen's Fortress.

So far the run is:

- Asylum Demon
- Firelink -> Zwei
- VotD -> Grass Crest
- Kill Black Knight with Hand Axe & Shield (preferably with a backstab off the cliff)
- Parish Tower Knight for Shard, and farm Hollows right there for shard 2.
- +2 Axe
- Darkroot -> Havel (killing him via fall damage. By far the most reliable method and seemingly the fastest with my gear)
- Wolf Ring
- Taurus
- Parish -> Gargoyles
- Asylum Redux (Rusted Iron Ring) (Bonus: flattening Oscar hilariously with the Zwei)
- Quelaag
- Ceaseless (since I'm already down there)
- Farm slugs for large shards to get both weapons to +7
- cheese Capra via poop flinging
- Depths -> Gaping
- Weapons to +7
- Sen's

Adding Havel to the run solved all my fat rolling problems. Got Vit around 27 now and have been pumping stamina so I can get more than two swings out of the Zwei. The Hand Axe has been bread and butter for the most part, with the Zwei being used situationally. I doubt I will be using the Zwei as a main before it's made Lightning. It will be fairly late game, but I may attempt making the Hand Axe Fire or Chaos.

Now that I am thinking about it - I may go rescue Dusk first so I can grab Hidden Body before Sen's.

Hmm....

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Bogart posted:

Every dog in dark souls sucks to fight.

The area before The Cleansing Chapel with like 6 dogs and a bunch of crosbow hollows is probably the encounter I hate the most in DS3. Second worst is the stairs leading up to Pontiff before you open the shortcut.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I hate the entirety of the dungeon.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fire bombs are easier for cheesing Capra than poops, in my experience. Or at least the feedback is easier to gauge.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I hate the entirety of the dungeon.

It's the bad tower of latria 😈

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's the bad tower of latria 😈

I don't actually mind the jailers that much, but say what else you will about Latria it didn't feel like filler.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dungeon doesn't feel like filler either. it's yhorm's area which is the bad poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The profaned capital is one of the most interesting areas in the game and I'm real sad about how small it is.