Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

that people get paid for these utter dogshit analyses drives me to despair. "hmm yes labor had a historically high gain in total votes and the tories lost their majority, completely loving up the entire purpose of the election. but!!!!!! if you look at the numbers with no understanding of the political context, the conservatives won. i'm a political analyst."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BBJoey posted:

that people get paid for these utter dogshit analyses drives me to despair. "hmm yes labor had a historically high gain in total votes and the tories lost their majority, completely loving up the entire purpose of the election. but!!!!!! if you look at the numbers with no understanding of the political context, the conservatives won. i'm a political analyst."

What does increased voter turnout have to do with Australia, o wise one?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

JBP posted:

All of my female friends perceive her as a politically clueless mums and bubs wanker. Then again I think Clementine Ford is Andrew Bolt for girls so maybe I should get on the Mia train.

Most media personalities in Australia (and everywhere, really) seem to be graded along a scale of "well there certainly is worse out there" and it's when you reach the end of that line and there isn't any worse that you go "oh poo poo this person is a true turd of a human being"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

this is an excellent refutation of an argument which i didn't make and which has nothing to do with my post, good job

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

JBP posted:

Abbott was too lefty so people turned up and voted PHON. There, that was easy and just as stupidly missing the point of the whole thing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I was trying to promote some non dogshit political analysis from the esteemed D&D auspol community, but apprently this thread only understands how to tear down and denigrate, rather than build and create.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

this is an excellent refutation of an argument which i didn't make and which has nothing to do with my post, good job

Was his success based on increased voter turnout? I think it might have been! Did he win? No. What about this take is so outlandish? The author is also a former member of federal parliament, so maybe he is somehow qualified to provide said takes on politics and campaigning?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Bolt posted:

Turnbull must surely know Trump is thin-skinned. He must also know that Trump is so fiercely embattled that sticking up from him could inspire a useful gratitude. And he must certainly know that Trump has the power to make or break Turnbull's dumb refugee swap deal with the US. So which put all that at risk just to get a laugh from journalists?

what a cuck

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

JBP posted:

Was his success based on increased voter turnout? I think it might have been! Did he win? No. What about this take is so outlandish? The author is also a former member of federal parliament, so maybe he is somehow qualified to provide said takes on politics and campaigning?

Being a former member of federal parliament is not really a good indicator of having any idea how this all works.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

snoremac posted:

what a cuck

Bolt is salty that he doesn't qualify as a journalist so never gets invited to the party.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

Being a former member of federal parliament is not really a good indicator of having any idea how this all works.

I'll give some time to the opinion of someone who has worked within the lovely westminster system and been elected to it over a random SALT op-ed or auspol AK-47s and communism hot take any day of the week as it looks inside the mind of the people that work there.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've only just realized she named the loving site after herself. :cripes:

This was from the last page but isn't it a blog? Its a pretty clever LiveJournal handle.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

I was trying to promote some non dogshit political analysis from the esteemed D&D auspol community, but apprently this thread only understands how to tear down and denigrate, rather than build and create.

I don't think much of that analysis because there wasn't much actual analysis.

Here's something to consider as a part of any comparison between our last election and the UK's: they had the lowest level of third party votes in a decades, while we had the highest levels in decades. Why the disparity? Is it significant?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I saw progressive feminists gleefully devouring one of their own and found it interesting and tried to understand why.

The arguments keep shifting because nothing really holds water from what I can see.

'She's victim blaming', nope.
'She's wh*re phobic', nope
'Someone live-tweeted her book', that's ridiculous

Now she's a poo poo employer but no one has really offered any evidence of that either.

So people are still calling her shithead and a 'true turd of a human being', which given what we've been offered by way of reason just seems bizarre.

Really I guess what it boils down to is that she "Failed to ever build up the kind of cachet of respect or affection that someone like a Lisa Wilkinson has."

Which seems pretty poo poo.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

None of it means anything, it's just celebrity gossip. Pick a side, argue about it on Twitter, refine your personal brand.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hobo Erotica posted:

Now she's a poo poo employer but no one has really offered any evidence of that either.

I often work with what was once the Australian Journalists Association. Mia bad.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

his take is "labor lost because they did not win the most seats" which is just as correct as "the romans lost the battle of herraclea because they lost the most men". the conservatives threw away their majority on an election they didn't need and are now hanging on to power by a thread; labour made major gains among key demographics and corbyn has proven himself as a capable leader. saying "labour lost" isn't wrong, but it's completely meaningless as political analysis.

i am in no way saying that the situation is analogous to australian politics because as you very cleverly pointed out, we have different voting systems!!!! way to go.

in fact, perhaps the difference in voting systems is reason not to automatically trust a former australian politician's take!!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Voter turnout being higher = better voter engagement. Just because we have to rock up to the polls by law doesn't mean we're engaged. If Corbyn got more people voting that's a good sign that his policies or his methods had impact in the electorate.

It would be a similar comparison if a US vote got higher turnout.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

I often work with what was once the Australian Journalists Association. Mia bad.

This is the exact bollocks that was just railed against. Empty slurs with no corroborating evidence. Grats.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BBJoey posted:

his take is "labor lost because they did not win the most seats" which is just as correct as "the romans lost the battle of herraclea because they lost the most men". the conservatives threw away their majority on an election they didn't need and are now hanging on to power by a thread; labour made major gains among key demographics and corbyn has proven himself as a capable leader. saying "labour lost" isn't wrong, but it's completely meaningless as political analysis.

i am in no way saying that the situation is analogous to australian politics because as you very cleverly pointed out, we have different voting systems!!!! way to go.

in fact, perhaps the difference in voting systems is reason not to automatically trust a former australian politician's take!!

The Romans lost that battle and Labour lost the election by virtue of not winning the election. Correct.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

*extremely avshalom voice*

It is time, let us have sodomy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

This is the exact bollocks that was just railed against. Empty slurs with no corroborating evidence. Grats.

Their management psychologically crushes people that try to advocate for an EBA while the organisation publishes articles saying "tell a man to give you $280 because of the gender pay gap."

E: their employees are all women btw

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 16, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What bollocks was rallied against by the way? Are you talking about the Fairfax industrial action or some thread based rally against something?

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

What bollocks was rallied against by the way? Are you talking about the Fairfax industrial action or some thread based rally against something?

The "bollocks" was "suggesting Mia Freedman is anything other that gods gift to feminism, journalism and the workers" and it was being rallied against by Hobo Erotica in the 312th excruciating post he has made on the subject.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

racing identity posted:

The "bollocks" was "suggesting Mia Freedman is anything other that gods gift to feminism, journalism and the workers" and it was being rallied against by Hobo Erotica in the 312th excruciating post he has made on the subject.

loving... Anyone that thinks Mia Freedman is a good deed doer or champion of anything needs their brain examined.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Here's a good piece about organising and labour: https://thebaffler.com/outbursts/all-worked-up-nowhere-to-go-frost

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hobo Erotica posted:

I saw progressive feminists gleefully devouring one of their own and found it interesting and tried to understand why.

See this is the part you seem to keep tripping over, Mia Freedman is in no way a progressive feminist, but you want to insist it's true anyway so you can keep up your search for outrage

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NTRabbit posted:

See this is the part you seem to keep tripping over, Mia Freedman is in no way a progressive feminist, but you want to insist it's true anyway so you can keep up your search for outrage

*Hobo Erotica scans for new attack vector*

"Anti-Semites!"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

quote:

I agree with Labor senator Sam Dastyari's assessment that "standing for something will always beat standing for nothing". I am unsure this is a permanent truth for all campaigns everywhere, but it does catch the mood of the times.

:cripes:

I mean imagine saying you're in favour of principled action until such time as it is no longer beneficial, without your brain dripping out your ears.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Remarkable that Sam Dastyari of all people could express such a sentiment without his hypocrisy gland exploding

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Sam is a good man who is loyal to the CCP.

A true leftist

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sam. It's time to choose.

This halal snack pack or this wheelbarrow full of money.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Anidav posted:

Sam is a good man who is loyal to the CCP.

A true leftist

Still in China?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yes.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Anidav what did the rats do to your car?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Agreed, Mia Freedman is exactly the person Beautiful Daisy™ wishes she could be. She publishes opinion in the public space for money, she deserves neither defence nor outrage. Either laugh or ignore her, anything else plays into that dumb celebrity self-image. I don't care who she is, I sometimes care about the topics but I don't for one loving second think she's any more qualified to advance her opinions just because she has a website or got on to The Drum. She ain't no public intellectual, guys.

And people are bad on the internet, quelle loving surprise. I've watched her endless self-promotion and clashes with women on Twitter and that is not an engagement any man would feel welcome to join, let alone argue. Ita Buttrose might seem a fuddy duddy but she never stooped to this kind of bullshit, and was an actual pioneer for professional women and is still fighting the good fight.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

O, Saint Mia!

https://mumbrella.com.au/mamamia-to-pay-contributors-167891

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Today I hosed up. I meant to kill Peter Dutton but instead murdered a piece of mutton.

I'm handing in my AK-47 communism hot take cred card. Sorry to let you all down.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ewe2 posted:

Agreed, Mia Freedman is exactly the person Beautiful Daisy™ wishes she could be. She publishes opinion in the public space for money, she deserves neither defence nor outrage. Either laugh or ignore her, anything else plays into that dumb celebrity self-image. I don't care who she is, I sometimes care about the topics but I don't for one loving second think she's any more qualified to advance her opinions just because she has a website or got on to The Drum. She ain't no public intellectual, guys.

And people are bad on the internet, quelle loving surprise. I've watched her endless self-promotion and clashes with women on Twitter and that is not an engagement any man would feel welcome to join, let alone argue. Ita Buttrose might seem a fuddy duddy but she never stooped to this kind of bullshit, and was an actual pioneer for professional women and is still fighting the good fight.

She made a living off teen girls / young women's insecurities, then gets fired by cosmo or whoever and ends up pretending she's some mums and bubs feminist hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

Today I hosed up. I meant to kill Peter Dutton but instead murdered a piece of mutton.

I'm handing in my AK-47 communism hot take cred card. Sorry to let you all down.

You bring shame on us all.

• Locked thread