Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Three-Phase posted:

At work we have circuit breakers rated for 5kV to around 40kV that have contacts inside of vacuum bottles. It's not an absolutely perfect vacuum but on the lower end voltages like 4160V they can interrupt like 20,000A of current (nominal flow of 1200A). They are simple and extremely reliable. (I am proposing to retrofit/replace older breakers with newer and even more mechanically simple systems like the ABB AMVAC and ADVAC roll-in retrofits.)

There are warnings about PM testing of vacuum interrupter bottles - if you apply a high test voltage across the contacts with them close together but not touching you can generate hazardous amounts of x-rays.

Essentially turning them into CRTs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Pro wrestler with a daredevil gimmick is living the dream

quote:

Paul Lloyd Jr., 36, who works here as P.J. Black (Justin Gabriel in WWE), suffered a terrible injury base jumping this past week. He suffered a broken leg, a broken hand and lost a finger. He’s has to cancel all of his upcoming indie dates. He had suffered two broken ankles in October from an earlier base jumping accident while in South Africa

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When my dad worked for the railroad, they paid for him to get a new pair of boots and a new pair of prescription safety glasses every year.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Three-Phase posted:

At that voltage level and resultant current flow he was literally cooked. We're talking about massive internal damage that even if surprised could be extremely hard to treat. When you see his body emitting smoke and then bursting into flames the guy is way past any hope. Also he was probably in excruciating pain the whole time until he lost consciousness at some point probably in part due to respiratory paralysis and fibrillation.

If he got free after a second and had someone perform CPR and was lucky, yeah he could have survived contact with high voltage.

And when you're at levels like 10kV, dangerous current can easily flow through wood. You need fiberglass poles made to work at those high voltages.

One last thing - concrete actually conducts electricity.

Thank you for your response! My initial reaction was "oh man why didn't anyone help??" but my gut feeling was "dude was hosed already and they knew it"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

FuturePastNow posted:

When my dad worked for the railroad, they paid for him to get a new pair of boots and a new pair of prescription safety glasses every year.

Man when I worked for ConocoPhillips oil was $150/bbl so they were just straight up buying everyone steel toed XtraTuffs and Nomex coveralls; I still have mine somewhere.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just watched this on youtube and it's the first of his videos I really took issue with.

Furze plays pretty hard and loose with best safety procedures, but he's also a very smart and skilled builder. Most of the time.

This one was just dumb. Two guys alone on a beach with some plywood and spades and absolutely nothing in place in case poo poo went sideways.

Watch around 4:20 - 6:50 when they're trying to add a second layer of load bearing plywood and the sand walls are collapsing all around him. 3 metres down and no way out - they didn't even bring a ladder for gently caress's sake.

Maybe it's because I've done a fair bit of archaeological fieldwork, but this is the first of his videos that made me actually anxious. Incredibly narrow hole deeper than a metre, no proper shoring, spoil discarded close to the edge, no hard hats, no ladders, people loving about standing on the edge of the section, and all while digging in sand.

People get maimed and die horribly from making lesser mistakes, these guys don't know how lucky they are.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Werong Bustope posted:

People get maimed and die horribly from making lesser mistakes, these guys don't know how lucky they are.
Update: They finished the death hut, nobody got hurt so far!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AojTrc_UMaM

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Built in a less butt-clenching way that would be a pretty rad beach hut to be fair.

You could not pay me to go down in that one though.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Default Settings posted:

That video triggers my claustrophobia so bad.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
:grovertoot: x10

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The one thing I've always wished I had at the beach: a dank hole in which to hide my disgusting corpse.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Default Settings posted:

It's a lovely hut, but would make for a pretty cool casket.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Spaceflight megathread posted:

A Kazakh man died and another was hospitalised after they were caught in a fire on the steppes triggered by falling debris from a Russian space launch, Russian and Kazakh authorities said Thursday. 

The blaze, reaching 15 kilometres (9.5 miles) across, was unleashed by parts of a rocket that fell to earth on Wednesday after a launch from the nearby Baikonur cosmodrome, Kazakhstan's emergency situations committee spokesman Ruslan Imankulov told AFP.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

A followup to that mri video earlier has them quench it (it's being retired anyway) and it all comes out a big fat chimney in a huge butt over quite a bit of time.

I saw a magnet quench once at my undergrad university, from the outside (found out what it was well after the event), and it was a big shrieking blast out of a pipe on the roof of the lab. I figured it was a powerful steam vent of some kind -- same kind of noise and appearance.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Captain Yossarian posted:

Thank you for your response! My initial reaction was "oh man why didn't anyone help??" but my gut feeling was "dude was hosed already and they knew it"

Yeah rule #1 of rescuing someone is don't become a victim yourself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffb_F7Agqv4

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Three-Phase posted:

When I did swim rescue lessons, one of the biggest risks is the person in trouble just going ape poo poo on you and trying to use you as a floatie.

You have to warn them before you approach to not to grab you and stay right where they are and not swim towards you. If they start swimming towards you, you need to dive under and swim a bit away so they cant track you and attempt to catch up which would burn out their stamina.

This is rescue without a ring I think I have to add. With a ring , it's a lot easier.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Oh that's nothing. Check out his previous project, before he put in all those safety precautions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYECvs06XI&t=720s

Anta fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 16, 2017

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The terrifying thing about that is that he doesn't have the integration know-how to design and build proper controls, so he's still using a loving RC transmitter to control it.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

MrYenko posted:

The terrifying thing about that is that he doesn't have the integration know-how to design and build proper controls, so he's still using a loving RC transmitter to control it.

Nah, that part is actually just fine, since multicopter flight controllers are generally made to take RC input by default, and transmitters are tuneable, tested and reliable, unlike some homebrew control scheme.

The terrifying part is the spinning death-rotors surrounding the pilot, and how unstable the thing is.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
If a motor dies I'm sure he'll glide gently back to earth

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

... except in China.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

neonbregna posted:

Spoiler management will still ratfuck him

Nah, it's the federal government. If your ducks are in a row, you're good. They lose almost every time they get sued.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

EVIL Gibson posted:

When I did swim rescue lessons, one of the biggest risks is the person in trouble just going ape poo poo on you and trying to use you as a floatie.

You have to warn them before you approach to not to grab you and stay right where they are and not swim towards you. If they start swimming towards you, you need to dive under and swim a bit away so they cant track you and attempt to catch up which would burn out their stamina.

This is rescue without a ring I think I have to add. With a ring , it's a lot easier.

My favorite part of this training was being instructed to swim straight down if they get ahold of you wrong. They let go real fast.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

Confined space rescue: not even once.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

... except in China.

this is like some poo poo off of a william castle poster

THE CLUNK IN THE ELEVATOR....

WILL NOT HARM YOU...

MAYBE.

SEE "THE CLUNK" IN MAGICAL CLUNKOVISION

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

Yeah, first thing they teach you in H2S training. If you're on a sour site and see someone go down, yell "man down" and run the gently caress away. don't go back in until help is on the way and you've got a SCBA on.

If you see someone get knocked down by H2S and you run straight into help them, now there are 2 bodies to recover.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IIRC that happened just a couple of months ago on a farm somewhere. One guy fell into a manure pit and was overcome by the fumes, and then the guy who went in after him also was knocked out, and so was the guy who went in after him, and all three died.

Can't find the article specifically but here's one from ten years ago where four family members and one farm worker all died in the same situation: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gas-from-manure-pit-kills-5-on-dairy-farm/

:smith:

It seems like if you work on that sort of farm, having an easily accessible SCBA next to the goddamn hell pit of toxic waste and poisonous vapors might be a good idea

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

IIRC that happened just a couple of months ago on a farm somewhere. One guy fell into a manure pit and was overcome by the fumes, and then the guy who went in after him also was knocked out, and so was the guy who went in after him, and all three died.

Can't find the article specifically but here's one from ten years ago where four family members and one farm worker all died in the same situation: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gas-from-manure-pit-kills-5-on-dairy-farm/

:smith:

It seems like if you work on that sort of farm, having an easily accessible SCBA next to the goddamn hell pit of toxic waste and poisonous vapors might be a good idea

The DIY aviation and this post remind me of an small aircraft fatality here 15 or so years ago where the aircraft emergency landed then tipped over into an open manure pit. Crash didn't kill them, but both passengers drowned in poo poo.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At a flight school I used to be with they had lost a plane to sewage/oxidation pond that was right at the end of a runway.

The pilot judged the the wind on the runway by what the GPS gave him instead of looking at the wind socks. The "GPS Wind" is the 3000ft wind which is usually 30 degrees different to what is one the ground and doesn't take into account of the local conditions.

He came in too fast and too high. Partially because he had a tail wind and partially he was landing by rote.

He insisted in sticking the landing even though he was pass the half way mark before touching down.

He applied the brakes but didn't draw back on the throttle. On a grass runway.

I believe this was his first solo cross country or very close to it.

The plane was written off due to the chemicals in the pond attacking the skin and structure. The impact damage was minimal. No one was injured but much Face was lost. It even featured on the cover of the government aviation magazine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have to say, poo poo lagoons are pretty high on the list of places I don’t want my plane to land in.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Azhais posted:

How soon people forget manure pits

Or that kid that had the truck dump a load of hot asphalt on him.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Saw a truck hauling those engineered I-beams like the bathroom guy wrecked. I smiled and thought of y'all.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mustached Demon posted:

Saw a truck hauling those engineered I-beams like the bathroom guy wrecked. I smiled and thought of y'all.

Speaking of bathroom guy, I was stuck at my parents' house earlier this week, and was reading the local paper out of childhood habit. For Better or for Worse has been like a Load Bearing Bathtub Thread mirror:
http://fborfw.com/strip_fix/monday-june-12-2017/

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Say Nothing posted:

... except in China.

The fall won't harm you either. The sudden stop will.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Platystemon posted:

I have to say, poo poo lagoons are pretty high on the list of places I don’t want my plane to land in.

I've seen that movie.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

That costs money and isn't strictly required by law so better run the chance to ratfuck a family forever, even if it's your own.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EVIL Gibson posted:

Like, goatsescue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

That (appears to be) a CT machine, not an MRI.

Also, those photos are x-rays.