Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Also, STL is doing a pride night this year, the team announced. Of course, there is controversy and horrible things being said about this.

Announced it this year, I thought the actual game was tentatively scheduled for next year.

Inspector_666 posted:

The best reaction to Pride Night is the very angry "WHEN IS CHRISTIAN DAY?!"

People from that area get super defensive about people who don't agree with their religion. When I was detasseling corn the idea that fossils were more than 6,000 years old was offensive heresy. Don't even get me started how well my sister's marriage to a Muslim of Pakistani descent went over...

That being said, I still love my offensive, terrible baseball team. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pancakes posted:

People from that area get super defensive about people who don't agree with their religion. When I was detasseling corn the idea that fossils were more than 6,000 years old was offensive heresy. Don't even get me started how well my sister's marriage to a Muslim of Pakistani descent went over...

poo poo, that's nothing. I used to live in eastern Iowa. There are still several cross burnings a year in the north end of the city where I lived, after a guy was stabbed a former city council member said "That boy's family can thank the former mayor for inviting those people from Chicago," and a group calling themselves "The Concerned and Proud" or something like that picketed the construction site of the city's first mosque a few years ago. The night after the mosque opened? You guessed it, two dozen crosses in the front, burning. Basically, if you weren't a fourth-generation German or Irish Catholic in that city, you weren't poo poo.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, it's Miller so maybe it wasn't?

Andrew Miller should be a starting pitcher but the Detroit Tigers are so loving terrible at developing talent that he had to drift around the league for half a decade to be fixed.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rand alPaul posted:

Andrew Miller should be a starting pitcher but the Detroit Tigers are so loving terrible at developing talent that he had to drift around the league for half a decade to be fixed.

Is there a reason why he hasn't been converted back to a starter? Just too late in his career?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He may not want to.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Niwrad posted:

Is there a reason why he hasn't been converted back to a starter? Just too late in his career?

If it ain't broke...

Also he still has bouts of wildness, it's not like the reason he was converted isn't still present.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

He's good enough out of the pen that there's zero advantage to trying to convert him back into a starter.

e. Also between his age and the inevitable downtick in velocity that comes from starting it would almost certainly hamper his pitches. There's a world of difference between a mid-90's FB and a low-90's slider vs a low-90's FB and a mid-80's slider. Just ask Arrieta/Lackey/Lester to a lesser extent.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
N: Baltimore is now tied with Toronto in the AL East basement at 32-33.

V: :toot:

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Niwrad posted:

afaik he just throws a fastball and slider, usually only featuring two pitches -> relief pitcher

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Load Bearingcross

Not getting enough love

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Braves rookie Sean Newcomb is pitching again tomorrow. His last outing was stellar (that completely fell apart once the bullpen came in). Looking forward to seeing him pitch again.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

shadok posted:

N: Baltimore is now tied with Toronto in the AL East basement at 32-33.

V: :toot:

It turns out that missing the best closer in baseball *and* relying on a shaky at best rotation means you get blown out all the time! :confuoot: At least we tanked pretty early, it's important to crush hopes before they lead to poo poo like last year's Wild Card game.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Artix posted:

It turns out that missing the best closer in baseball

Wait, what?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Every night of STL baseball is Christian night :colbert:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The most disappointing part about the St. Louis Christian night is that Lance Berkman is doing something for the Cardinals post-hacking.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Heh

https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/875518150619656192

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
it won't count until he wins a ring.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/HigginsFOS/status/875518396116353024

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cardinals bullpen: remains terrible

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/keithlaw/status/875554404870574080

And only the second best prospect on that team.

Who's the last player to hit .400 in the minors over not like 25 games?

Edit: Its gonna be cool when the Jays infield is Guerrero/Bichette/Biggio/Some Guy (lets say Delgado has a kid) and we can all wear 30 year old jerseys to the game.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 16, 2017

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Can he play LF?

Can he play LF tomorrow?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mike_V posted:

Cardinals bullpen: remains terrible

We appreciate your efforts to be worse than our bullpen, as well as the three wins :tipshat:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Edit: Its gonna be cool when the Jays infield is Guerrero/Bichette/Biggio/Some Guy (lets say Delgado has a kid) and we can all wear 30 year old jerseys to the game.

Kacy Clemens

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

gently caress YA

Can't wait to bring my dad to the ballpark and he'll thing he has dementia.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Also drafted Roger Clemens kid this year :getin:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

shadok posted:

Can he play LF?

Can he play LF tomorrow?

But Steve Pearce comes back tomorrow !

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lol this kid went to my high school.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

You should feel honoured.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty on the fence about it

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Eduardo Nunez injured himself running out an infield single. Then two batters later Buster Posey injured himself hitting a home run. gently caress this stupid season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Eduardo Nunez injured himself running out an infield single. Then two batters later Buster Posey injured himself hitting a home run. gently caress this stupid season.

All that even year bullshit karma is finally being cashed in, methinks.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

iospace posted:

All that even year bullshit karma is finally being cashed in, methinks.

That's every odd year though. We didn't even win the World Series last year!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Doesn't matter, this is an odd year

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

West coast trip has been brutal for the Yankees. Not just because they're losing to bad teams, but the injuries. Sanchez and Hicks each pulled from the game tonight with injuries.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There's decades of piper to be paid on the that 5 year run

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Rand alPaul posted:

I'ts even more depressing when you look back and know the biggest thing the Tigers missed during their run was a dominant closer.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I hope Girardi is fired (he won't be). His managing of a bullpen is atrocious. Warren, Shreve and Holder all in the bullpen and he chooses to go with the guy with a 7.0 ERA (and has also looked terrible all year) to close the game.

Edit: Apparently Warren has been having issues with his trapezius muscle, so he has been unavailable. My point still stands because Gallegos is not a good pitcher.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 16, 2017

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

chilihead posted:

I'ts even more depressing when you look back and know the biggest thing the Tigers missed during their run was a dominant closer.

Their inability to produce even a league average bullpen in one of their playoff runs was their undoing. I mean it's something teams do all the time, yet there has been a decade of bad bullpens in Detroit. It's baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Ghost of Joel Zumaya.

• Locked thread