Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I picked up Dark Souls again a while back but put it back on hold during the Capra fight.

I know how to fight him, it's just having to retrain myself to his reads and remembering how to consistently dispatch the dogs first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

just do it the cheese way, run up the stairs on the left then drop onto the ledge above the gate to compose yourself. im pretty sure thats how geop managed it first try.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Danaru posted:

I could fill a whole thread with things dragging Dead Island down, but the most egregious was the fact that they literally couldn't write a woman character without having sexual assault involved in some way. Implied, threatened, or as a loving plot point.

Call me crazy but I think the Dead Island devs may have issues with women.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

im pooping! posted:

just do it the cheese way, run up the stairs on the left then drop onto the ledge above the gate to compose yourself. im pretty sure thats how geop managed it first try.

Nah, that's dumb. Just throw a bunch of dung pies over the wall and poison it without even going into the arena.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

im pretty sure that was richeyz's strategy in his sl1 lp

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy Mann posted:

Call me crazy but I think the Dead Island devs may have issues with women.

These are the same developers who tagged a female character in the devconsole as "Feminazi Whore" or something like that right

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

These are the same developers who tagged a female character in the devconsole as "Feminazi Whore" or something like that right

Yup. The back end variable for "Gender Wars," one of Pruna's skills (boosts damage against male zombies), was "feministwhorepruna."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

im pooping! posted:

im pretty sure that was richeyz's strategy in his sl1 lp

I'm pretty sure that's where I got the idea. Because lol if I'm ever going to come up with a way to cheese a game. I'm not that kind of game player.

Danaru posted:

I could fill a whole thread with things dragging Dead Island down,

do it

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Dead Island is so full of bad ideas and I want to read all of them

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Action Tortoise posted:

I picked up Dark Souls again a while back but put it back on hold during the Capra fight.

I know how to fight him, it's just having to retrain myself to his reads and remembering how to consistently dispatch the dogs first.

You can skip him if you took the Master Key as your starter gift, just go into blightown the back through the Valkey of the Drakes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Jukebox Hero posted:

Dead Island is so full of bad ideas and I want to read all of them

Start with how completely different in tone the CGI video was from the actual game.

I want to go rewatch the co-op LP from the bad games thread.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I do like how that Dead Island story has slowly escalated from "one fuckwit snuck thing code and got shitcanned when found out" to "entire team hates women and cooperated to mark them as whores". :v:

The torso though, yeesh. Marketing team or not that's something which really should have been shouted down by the suits.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

poptart_fairy posted:

I do like how that Dead Island story has slowly escalated from "one fuckwit snuck thing code and got shitcanned when found out" to "entire team hates women and cooperated to mark them as whores". :v:

The torso though, yeesh. Marketing team or not that's something which really should have been shouted down by the suits.

Maybe, possibly, probably not but I mean it might be possible that... these two things are related.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Feminist Whore stuff was in the original game, the torso statue was much later on with the expansion. Like yeah the second was a colossally dumb move and I will never defend it, but the first one being blown up to such a degree is pretty weird. Like there's a massive target to focus on already, actively lying about something else the guy got punished for strikes me as kinda self-defeating.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

You can skip him if you took the Master Key as your starter gift, just go into blightown the back through the Valkey of the Drakes.

The Depths and Lower Burg are optional regardless, you can head to the Valley of Drakes once you hit the Parish.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dead Island is not very fun to play but Dying Light is real good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

But you can miss out on some useful stuff in the Depths, like the Pyromancy seller and the Large Ember.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Depths has a lot of good stuff and a really cool boss. Going in blind was a nightmare, though, as you can end up cursed and 100% stuck if you're reckless around the Basilisks. Ironically the Pyromancy seller would be very useful for a new player, but that's just Dark Souls for ya.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I feel like if you're an "advanced" enough Dark Souls player to do stuff like that the Capra fight is probably trivial anyway.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

FactsAreUseless posted:

But you can miss out on some useful stuff in the Depths, like the Pyromancy seller and the Large Ember.

I'm doing a Pyro run and that's exactly why I'm enduring this.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So here's a lame thing about Super Robot Wars V; New Game Plus feels really pointless. You retain all your money and customization points, but otherwise you don't really get any bonuses. Given that there are a ton of units you don't unlock until the last like five to three stages, and even a few things you literally only can use for one stage, it kind of blows that the game doesn't give you free reign to screw about with everything on a new game plus.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I'm doing a Pyro run and that's exactly why I'm enduring this.
Get a horizontal weapon to eliminate the dogs, they're not strong so it just has to hit in an arc in front of you, not be upgraded. Roll left, up the stairs, kill the dogs, then kill Capra with pyromancy.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
That's probably been my problem. Not adapting myself to the situation and having alt weapons for different enemy types.

I was gonna gently caress around and toss some alluring skulls in the arena and see what happens.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

That's probably been my problem. Not adapting myself to the situation and having alt weapons for different enemy types.

I was gonna gently caress around and toss some alluring skulls in the arena and see what happens.
Huh, I've never tried that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Action Tortoise posted:

The claymore (iirc) is super easy to use and has at least one horizontal move. On the Damage:Risk ratio scale, it occupies a niche above most weapons, but below boss stuff or the zwei.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing dragging DS2's Ivory King dlc down for me is that they added lightsaber but because they have low damage and no scaling, they're lovely and useless.

Captain Lavender posted:

I hate the run to Capra so much, that I use the Firelink bonfire before that fight.

It's my second most-hated, next to Dark Souls 2's run to Velstadt. I had a hard time with him, and even with the shorest path open, you have to take out all the heavily armored knights in the hall leading up to him. Even moreso than the other Souls games, DS2 is like Precision Kiting: The Game, but so many mobs are tied to each other, that even that's not a satifying gameplay challenge.

You can sprint past all those guys; they're so slow to attack they can't catch you.

RBA Starblade has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Jun 16, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Skyrim fast travel often puts you right outside of the place you want to enter. So I sit through a load screen to fast travel and then sit through another one five seconds later when I enter the location I fast traveled to. I'm a busy man I don't have time for this poo poo

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Interstellar Rift, a space-sim game with emphasis on ship construction, while the construction is pretty cool and you can do lots of neat poo poo with it, interior-wise at least. The ship you build is actually just a level that your loaded into, with the exterior projected into space.

Trying to designate power-grids is an exercise in frustration, since for some reason clicking on a thing will 9/10 times select the thing behind it instead (And it displays everything at once in power grid mode, no filters or room based limitations, it has colour coding for seperate grids at least, but likes to just use slightly different shades of yellow/orange predominantly) so you have to fiddle with the camera for a minute to get an angle on the object you want to move to another grid that does not intersect with anything else, and hope to god your click selects it and not anything behind it, since then you have to go find THAT thing and set it back to the right grid, cause if you just deselect it, it get's removed from all the grids and fixing it becomes a needle in a haystack situation later on. Trying to set up life-support on it's own grid on my medium sized ship took like half an hour, and I've still got several mis-clicked lights off-grid I can't find; it's no wonder why almost all the big ships you can download from workshop only have a single power grid.

And exterior edit mode is a right pain. Using arrow-keys for non-absolute part rotation in full 3D space with no indicators as to how a thing will actually rotate given your current camera angle.

Gameplay is hot garbage too, combat is bad, mining is slow as gently caress, trading is repetitive and exploring is un-rewarding. But just, game is super genuinely immersive and has a great aesthetic and I want to chillax in a sweet ship being a space trucker.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bethesda integrates DLC in a completely poo poo way;

In Morrowind the expansion activates when you rest out in the wild, and an assassin attacks you. You kill this assassin which then leads on a long quest to another land. This expansion is meant for higher-leveled characters, but since the expansion is bundled with the main game your fresh-off-the-boat-chosen-one will very likely be killed by the higher-leveled assassin. I dropped the game.

In the new version of Skyrim I took one step into Whiterun and found a bunch of dead bodies. They were all vampires except one of them was a named NPC who lived in Whiterun. As it turns out the DLC that comes bundled with the game adds random vampire attacks that, apropos of nothing, kill named NPCs in any towns that you visit. NPC with quests attached. I dropped the game.

Witcher 3 deserves praise for doing the Ubisoft formula better than any Ubisoft game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In Morrowind the expansion activates when you rest out in the wild, and an assassin attacks you. You kill this assassin which then leads on a long quest to another land. This expansion is meant for higher-leveled characters, but since the expansion is bundled with the main game your fresh-off-the-boat-chosen-one will very likely be killed by the higher-leveled assassin. I dropped the game.

It's still worth it because vanilla Morrowind didn't have a functioning quest log.

It's one of the most sprawling and free-form open world RPGs ever made and if you play it on consoles or vanilla on PC then you have to leaf through dozens or even hundreds of pages of journal entries in chronological order to figure out where you're supposed to go and what you're supposed to do.

It's especially bad because this is a game with no quest markers or pop-up alerts and a quest structure built around following specific directions to places based on landmarks and compass directions, so if you get a quest early on and put it off until later you could have to press the "turn page" button dozens of times every time you need to get your bearings or look up exactly what bear asses alchemy ingredients you needed.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 00:58 on Jun 17, 2017

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Assassins can trigger on any rest, and iirc it's a random chance tied to level, getting more likely the higher it is. It goes until you do some mournhold quest, or maybe just talk to the transport lady? I can't remember. It's not the best thought out system, but you can always console kill it if you're on PC.

Thing dragging Bethesda games down: "At least you can use the console to fix it."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

In the new version of Skyrim I took one step into Whiterun and found a bunch of dead bodies. They were all vampires except one of them was a named NPC who lived in Whiterun. As it turns out the DLC that comes bundled with the game adds random vampire attacks that, apropos of nothing, kill named NPCs in any towns that you visit. NPC with quests attached. I dropped the game.

Witcher 3 deserves praise for doing the Ubisoft formula better than any Ubisoft game.

The vampires are extra garbage because They just kind of show up, kill NPCs and then get killed by the guards. The only way to stop them is to do the lovely DLC quest which is absolutely not fun or interesting, and IIRC requires you to become either a vampire or werewolf which is also generally lovely and not fun.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

The Feminist Whore stuff was in the original game, the torso statue was much later on with the expansion. Like yeah the second was a colossally dumb move and I will never defend it, but the first one being blown up to such a degree is pretty weird. Like there's a massive target to focus on already, actively lying about something else the guy got punished for strikes me as kinda self-defeating.

Speaking from experience, basically everyone on the dev team would have had to see that variable repeatedly for months and do nothing about it, or the guy would have had to sneak the thing in at the last minute as part of one of the unreviewed changesets shoved into the final build. Either he was a ludicrously dedicated and petty misogynist or the entire gameplay dev team was quietly okay with it.

E: either the team is wildly unprofessional, the guy is insanely dedicated, or they were all fine with that "joke" being included.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Jun 17, 2017

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Nuebot posted:

The vampires are extra garbage because They just kind of show up, kill NPCs and then get killed by the guards. The only way to stop them is to do the lovely DLC quest which is absolutely not fun or interesting, and IIRC requires you to become either a vampire or werewolf which is also generally lovely and not fun.

That's the one where you can become a super-mega vampire with a transformation that's probably worse than the spells or weapons you already have, or just carry on being a normal dude and get a crossbow. You get a neat bow at the end at least.

Partway through that questline I had to take an NPC to meet another NPC, and the first NPC just stopped following me or maybe even existing? I had to spend ages buggering about with the console before finally setting the right quest flag to get things going again. Classic Elder Scrolls.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Somfin posted:

Speaking from experience, basically everyone on the dev team would have had to see that variable repeatedly for months and do nothing about it, or the guy would have had to sneak the thing in at the last minute as part of one of the unreviewed changesets shoved into the final build. Either he was a ludicrously dedicated and petty misogynist or the entire gameplay dev team was quietly okay with it.

E: either the team is wildly unprofessional, the guy is insanely dedicated, or they were all fine with that "joke" being included.

The entire reason people were even able to discover it in the first place was because when the game went live on Steam they had uploaded a broken unfinished developer version with a bunch of beta and debug features still built into it, so at the very least they knew about it enough to remove the offending text from the official finished retail version that was distributed via other channels. They quickly and quietly patched the Steam release but by then it was already out in the wild and the damage was done.

As an aside, one of the features of that developer version was a hilariously unfinished third-person mode with some very, uh, special character animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXmZX8iz2SE

e. The video of it seems to be lost to time but there also an amazing "speedrun" of Dead Island at release where a guy beat the game in 10 seconds by escaping from the island by using the developer console to turn on noclip and fly away while hollering obscenities about what a poo poo game it was.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 03:47 on Jun 17, 2017

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

RBA Starblade posted:

You can sprint past all those guys; they're so slow to attack they can't catch you.

It's hubris like this that got me killed several times while moseying through the fog door. Maybe it's altered in SotFS? But yeah, I tried that many times, and got murdered all but once, and I was hurt that one time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Never play Morrowind without some basic mods. It doesn't need as many as Skyrim, but there's a great Dark Brotherhood Delay one that makes them not attack until it makes sense.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FactsAreUseless posted:

Never play Morrowind without some basic mods. It doesn't need as many as Skyrim, but there's a great Dark Brotherhood Delay one that makes them not attack until it makes sense.

Don't forget to download the mod that spawns two cliff racers every time you kill one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

StandardVC10 posted:

Don't forget to download the mod that spawns two cliff racers every time you kill one.

And the one that replaces all sounds with the Tim Allen grunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guy Mann posted:

The entire reason people were even able to discover it in the first place was because when the game went live on Steam they had uploaded a broken unfinished developer version with a bunch of beta and debug features still built into it, so at the very least they knew about it enough to remove the offending text from the official finished retail version that was distributed via other channels. They quickly and quietly patched the Steam release but by then it was already out in the wild and the damage was done.

As an aside, one of the features of that developer version was a hilariously unfinished third-person mode with some very, uh, special character animations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXmZX8iz2SE

e. The video of it seems to be lost to time but there also an amazing "speedrun" of Dead Island at release where a guy beat the game in 10 seconds by escaping from the island by using the developer console to turn on noclip and fly away while hollering obscenities about what a poo poo game it was.

Those are just the first person animations working as intended, which are warped in pretty much in any game to look good in the player viewport. Same as the famous Mirror Edge "third person" camera where Faith becomes a rubber band woman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeA-386t38Q