Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
If you didn't pick up Shantae and the Half Genie hero, and like 2D platformers/metroidvanias, definitely think about picking it up. It's on the easy side, and shorter side, but very well done. It has great art direction, great music and the tongue in cheek humor that this series is known for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I tried one of the Shantae games once, but instead of getting right into some fun platforming like I assumed, it was page after page of unskippable, irritating dialogue with characters I had no interest in. Maybe I was just impatient that day, but for years I really thought that they were just pick-up-and-play sort of deals.

Also holy god is the Switch library literally over 50% Neo-Geo games at this point? I am 100% in favour of more people knowing the majesty of Waku Waku 7, but yeesh.

(I sold my WiiU. I miss it :( )

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

techknight posted:

I am 100% in favour of more people knowing the majesty of Waku Waku 7, but yeesh.
I just looked this up because I hadn't actually heard of it before. That final boss guy was on Saltybet yesterday and I assumed he was some kind of original creation because he was so weird, but what do you know. Is this game actually good, then? I could go for a Switch fighting game, but Smash isn't on it (if that even counts) and I got Street Fighter 2 out of my system when it first came out more than twenty-five loving years ago so that's a hard pass.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Meldonox posted:

I just looked this up because I hadn't actually heard of it before. That final boss guy was on Saltybet yesterday and I assumed he was some kind of original creation because he was so weird, but what do you know. Is this game actually good, then? I could go for a Switch fighting game, but Smash isn't on it (if that even counts) and I got Street Fighter 2 out of my system when it first came out more than twenty-five loving years ago so that's a hard pass.

Waku Waku 7 is terrific

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Meldonox posted:

Yeah! It's an oddball game from a company you wouldn't expect, but it's a perfectly fun fighter that feels contemporary with say Vampire Savior, just with fewer chars. Each character feels different from one another, and there are enough mechanics going on to keep experienced players interested. (EX moves, supers, unblockable desperation ultras)

For players who are new to fighters, the specials are easy to execute, the animation looks great, and you can even button mash against people as a goddamn totoro clone. It's wonderful and charming!

Snackmar fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 9, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

techknight posted:

I tried one of the Shantae games once, but instead of getting right into some fun platforming like I assumed, it was page after page of unskippable, irritating dialogue with characters I had no interest in. Maybe I was just impatient that day, but for years I really thought that they were just pick-up-and-play sort of deals.

Also holy god is the Switch library literally over 50% Neo-Geo games at this point? I am 100% in favour of more people knowing the majesty of Waku Waku 7, but yeesh.

(I sold my WiiU. I miss it :( )

The dialogue is pretty light in this one.

The platforming is generally great, but man are there a couple of infuriating segments (and a couple of areas that require multiple backtracking visits that are way too huge for their own good.)

Regardless, I'm loving it so far and highly recommend it if you're looking for a platformer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

WW7 is awesome.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Cross posting from the Switch thread, Has-Been Heroes is $9.99 from GameStop (digital, eShop code.) I skipped it due to generally middling reviews, but took the plunge for $10. It's not bad at all! Somewhat fun little strategy/puzzle roguelite good for bite-sized play sessions. Not sure what all the hate was for, but I think I remember reading something that a number of bad things have since been patched.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the general consensus was it is too hard and seemingly random at the beginning until you get a couple playththroughs done.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Partial drop for this week.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Sengoku | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
ARMS | NA | PAL | $59.99 / £49.99 / €59.99 (eShop & Retail) (16 June)
Cars 3: Driven to Win | NA | $59.99 (eShop & Retail) (13 June)
Mighty Gunvolt Burst | NA | PAL | $9.99 / £ ? / €9.99 (eShop Only)

WiiU
Cars 3: Driven to Win | NA | $49.99 (eShop & Retail) (13 June)
Mutant Alien Moles of the Dead | NA | $2.99 (eShop Only)

3DS
I am an air traffic controller AIRPORT HERO OSAKA KIX | NA | $19.99 (eShop Only)

Big releases are ARMS and Mighty Gunvolt Burst for Switch.

Cars 3: Driven to Win might be ok? Who knows. Apparently the last one was an alright driving game, if that's your bag. And hey, it's a retail release for WiiU after Darksiders: Warmastered Edition!

Since there's a Nintendo Spotlight and Treehouse special for E3 today (around 90 minutes from now), I would expect some surprise "available now!" announcement, but you never know with Big N really.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

irlZaphod posted:

3DS
I am an air traffic controller AIRPORT HERO OSAKA KIX | NA | $19.99 (eShop Only)

Heck yeah. I know I must have severe autism because I like every game Sonic Powered makes. Their rail sim games are the only reason I ever turn on 3D and their comically named ATC games also scratch a really bizarre itch I never knew I had.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

It's not just the name, but also the stylizing of the title. :allears:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gunvolt is the 1&2 combo pack?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Gunvolt is the 1&2 combo pack?

It's Mighty Gunvolt, not the upcoming Azure Striker Gunvolt Duology. I got my hopes up too :sigh:.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's a completely separate 8-bit style game.

I didn't know it was coming out that soon, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah the Store page says it's an original game.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Partial drop for this week.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Sengoku | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
ARMS | NA | PAL | $59.99 / £49.99 / €59.99 (eShop & Retail) (16 June)
Cars 3: Driven to Win | NA | $59.99 (eShop & Retail) (13 June)
Mighty Gunvolt Burst | NA | PAL | $9.99 / £ ? / €9.99 (eShop Only)

WiiU
Cars 3: Driven to Win | NA | $49.99 (eShop & Retail) (13 June)
Mutant Alien Moles of the Dead | NA | $2.99 (eShop Only)

3DS

Big releases are ARMS and Mighty Gunvolt Burst for Switch.

Cars 3: Driven to Win might be ok? Who knows. Apparently the last one was an alright driving game, if that's your bag. And hey, it's a retail release for WiiU after Darksiders: Warmastered Edition!

Since there's a Nintendo Spotlight and Treehouse special for E3 today (around 90 minutes from now), I would expect some surprise "available now!" announcement, but you never know with Big N really.
So PAL regions aren't getting CARS 3 or any of the other WiiU/3DS stuff here, so all there is this week is ARMS, Mighty Gunvolt Burst and Sengoku. :effort:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yay I love not getting stuff

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, I know there's a big 1st party release plus Gunvolt is big/popular? It still feels kind of weak. I hope it means something will be announced/dropped during Treehouse Live, but you never know really.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cars 3 is out in Australia, so maybe it's just Europe that sucks? :shrug:

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Oh no we aren't getting a Cars game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Healbot posted:

Oh no we aren't getting a Cars game.

But also this

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Screenshots + trailers made it look pretty decent.

I've been waiting to see a couple of reviews for it. Like it's certainly not going to win any awards, but it def doesn't look terrible and it'd be nice to have more kid orientated games that can be picked up on the cheap later.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I think the PS4 thread were saying that the previous one was actually kinda fun.

I don't think it's coming in Europe, the retail release is slated for next month as far as I've seen.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I went into Mighty Gunvolt Burst with low expectations and am blown away by how high effort it is. The levels have good flow and unique enemies and gimmicks. If you want to play score attack, defeating enemies at close range builds combo for points (but you don't have to do it if you don't care). You can customize shot types and unlock new abilities to add to your loadouts as you progress in the game, and the boss fights are actually challenging unlike in Mighty Gunvolt. If you like Mega Man games it is absolutely worth $10.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh huh, the original Mighty Gunvolt was such a throwaway thing I wasn't expecting much from that.
I literally still have nothing for my Switch other than pixel art indie game though :negative:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh huh, the original Mighty Gunvolt was such a throwaway thing I wasn't expecting much from that.
I literally still have nothing for my Switch other than pixel art indie game though :negative:

Please remedy this by grabbing some pixel art NeoGeo classics as well!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ever Oasis demo will be up in the eShop today

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Quest For Glory II posted:

Ever Oasis demo will be up in the eShop today

It's up now

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sakurazuka posted:

Get Thumper and Has Been Heroes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Buy Neo Turf Masters, it's the best game on the Switch.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Does anyone know if there's a resource online that compares the Switch eshop prices across region for games?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

iajanus posted:

Does anyone know if there's a resource online that compares the Switch eshop prices across region for games?
This thread? :v:

Each regional site will show you the prices in local currency, that's where I get them from. If I'm logged into my Nintendo account (whose location is set to Ireland), nintendo.co.uk will show me EUR prices. If I logout, it reverts to GBP. nintendo.com will just show me USD, but I'd guess if you had an account with the location set to Canada, it should show CDN.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Just fyi, the E3 promotion that is running in the US for 3DS/WiiU has also reached Europe.

Several Metroid and Mario titles have had their prices slashed by up to 50%, also Yoshi's Wooly World and Hyrule Warriors.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Healbot posted:

Just fyi, the E3 promotion that is running in the US for 3DS/WiiU has also reached Europe.

Several Metroid and Mario titles have had their prices slashed by up to 50%, also Yoshi's Wooly World and Hyrule Warriors.

3D Land, Smash and Xenoblade Chronicles are also up, 30% off each if I remember rightly?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No sale in Australia, once again proving why region free Switch is going to be incredible once these sorts of sales hit it.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Nearly done with Link Between Worlds so I was mulling over Xenoblade and/or Smash (I'm abroad right now so lots of downtime in the evenings to spend with Good Friend 3DS)

Xenoblade seems like a solid choice for a time sink RPG, is Smash worth a shot? I wouldn't be big on multiplayer but I've enjoyed the last few instalments. Would I need to buy stacks of character DLC to make it worthwhile? Is there any value in single player at all?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Smash 3DS has Smash Run, which is Kirby Air Ride City Trial meets Smash, and it's quite fun even in single player.

The base game roster is jam packed, but the character bundle is a good investment if you want even more.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Does it have stuff like challenges and trophies? That stuff was always fun to unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Enallyniv posted:

Does it have stuff like challenges and trophies? That stuff was always fun to unlock.

oodles of both