Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Backhand posted:

And Fallout 4 being what it is, walls are purely decorative in any event, since super mutants will just spawn inside the settlement right on top of your crops most of the time.

No......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

ethanol posted:

No......

If you fast travel directly into a settlement that is currently under attack, yes.

Traveling to a point near the settlement and then hoofing in from there will generally prevent that from happening. Also they won't just poof into existence right next to you if you are already at a settlement.

There are mods that move the spawn points outside the settlement boundaries, which do help a lot, but they often aren't 100% effective since some locations use the fast travel marker itself as a spawn point.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gynovore posted:

For 1 and 2, just ignore them. You don't even have to go into the Museum of Freedom.

For the last one, FO4 is as close to playable out of the box as any Bethesda game has even been. There are really no huge bugs or balance issues. The only overpowered stuff I can think of are power armor and Overseer's Guardian, so just don;t use them.

I actually highly recommend visiting the Museum of Freedom. I did a run last game where I never spoke to Preston or started the Minuteman quests at all, but I DID kill everything inside the MoF to get the perception bobblehead and the power armor from the roof. The only time I saw Preston was sprinting past. He tried to start dialogue with me but I was already sprinting, so the only sentence he ever got off was, "What, you're just going to LEAVE?!" He's been trapped in there for over an in-game year unable to help himself, and I think that's a perfectly fitting way to leave him. It's worth doing this way to hear his outraged line of dialogue alone, the power armor and bobblehead are just a nice bonus.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gort posted:

From my list of original wants, "Lowered Minutemen Expectations" makes Preston Garvey less demanding, "Start Me Up" makes the main quest much more ignorable (I know you technically could ignore it before, but this feels better to me), and the "Weapon Balance Overhaul" looks like it should be all the rebalancing I really need..

I looked at Start Me Up, but it made too many changes for my liking.

Lowered Minutemen Expectations seems like something everyone should install :)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gynovore posted:

I looked at Start Me Up, but it made too many changes for my liking.

Lowered Minutemen Expectations seems like something everyone should install :)

I'm confused as to what you would expect a mod to disable the main plot to do if removing mentions of the plot line is too many changes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Seems like "Optimized Vanilla Textures" vastly increases load times and makes some textures all hosed-up and glitchy, so out that goes.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

turn off the TV posted:

I'm confused as to what you would expect a mod to disable the main plot to do if removing mentions of the plot line is too many changes.

I just wanted a mod that would save me from having to play through the intro each time.

I wound up just making a savegame right before exiting the vault, like every other Bethesda game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Backhand posted:

And Fallout 4 being what it is, walls are purely decorative in any event, since super mutants will just spawn inside the settlement right on top of your crops most of the time.

In addition to mods that change them, there's a settlement management mod that lets you see default spawn points as quest markers. That could be helpful.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Isn't there some trick you can pull with the fast travel mat to set spawns, or did I make that up?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Settlement attackers can always appear behind walls if you fast travel directly because the game calculates where they "should" be as a function of time passed from the notification to when you fast travel to the site. No idea if that happens if you fast travel nearby and then walk up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ethanol posted:

started playing this again....... why are settlement walls so expensive.. trump didn't tell me about this, i can only get 1/100th of the way around sancutary

Workshop Rearranged has you covered for junk fencing and other types that ground-clip. Much more convenient than vanilla.

The material cost is still an issue, especially since Sanctuary is yuge. Buy shipments of wood and steel, or install something like Northland Diggers that drops down workbenches whose costs and productions can be measured in shipments.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you love Fallout 4 building, take a peak at the game Fortnite.
Way different game but the building looks dope as hell.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I played during a few of the Fortnite betas.

Decently fun game, but my excitement kind of petered out by them stringing along 24 months of betas.

It's also closer to games like Orcs Must Die instead of Fallout.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Gynovore posted:

I just wanted a mod that would save me from having to play through the intro each time.

I wound up just making a savegame right before exiting the vault, like every other Bethesda game.

But the game does this automatically?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nukatron mascot automatron torsos on Handy thrusters are vaguely terrifying.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
With the base game I don't really enjoy being in the city. It's too cramped and boringly designed, reminding me of F3 which had the same issue with Washington. The wasteland and the little towns are a lot more fun, but I wish it was bigger. It's a shame the game leans closer to F3's seriousness than New Vegas' sense of fun (though the story is at least not as drop dead boring as F3's was). I haven't done any of the DLC yet though.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Gynovore posted:

There is such a mod, "Start me up". It allows you to choose a background and connected starting point - i.e raider background.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Gort posted:

Seems like "Optimized Vanilla Textures" vastly increases load times and makes some textures all hosed-up and glitchy, so out that goes.

Are there any texture mods that don't increase the load time? I was under the impression that was just how FO4 worked but if it's just a problem with Optimized Vanilla Textures I might go look for a texture pack whenever I get around to installing the game again.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm thinking about getting back into this game but I want to mod the poo poo out of it. Someone recommended the regrowth mod. Can anyone else give me a list of the best mods?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CFox posted:

Are there any texture mods that don't increase the load time? I was under the impression that was just how FO4 worked but if it's just a problem with Optimized Vanilla Textures I might go look for a texture pack whenever I get around to installing the game again.
Loose files probably. Compress to ba2 archive and make a blank esp with the same prefix (ie: optimized textures.esp & optimized textures.ba2) so it will load the archive.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

bazomatic posted:

Settlement attackers can always appear behind walls if you fast travel directly because the game calculates where they "should" be as a function of time passed from the notification to when you fast travel to the site. No idea if that happens if you fast travel nearby and then walk up.

Bethesda actually just placed some of the settlement attack markers inside of the borders of the settlement. You can grab a mod to move the spawns outside of the building areas and won't have anyone spawning inside anymore.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Playing unarmed for the first time, in survival, with no PA, are there any good early game weapons? The boxing glove and knuckles are both terrible compared to the melee weapons you can find early game, and I found killing Swan pretty much impossible (barring some very special strategy to cheese him which I'm sure exists). I was planning to use melee weapons with this build until I could get a good unarmed weapon, and only then invest the points into Iron Fist, but it's seeming like I won't get a good unarmed weapon until significantly after level 20. Kind of a bummer.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Seashell Salesman posted:

Playing unarmed for the first time, in survival, with no PA, are there any good early game weapons? The boxing glove and knuckles are both terrible compared to the melee weapons you can find early game, and I found killing Swan pretty much impossible (barring some very special strategy to cheese him which I'm sure exists). I was planning to use melee weapons with this build until I could get a good unarmed weapon, and only then invest the points into Iron Fist, but it's seeming like I won't get a good unarmed weapon until significantly after level 20. Kind of a bummer.

Unarmed isn't horrible, but it's definitely not as good as melee. Survival will be a challenge.

Try investing in Agility, get the Sneak perks and Blitz. Level two of Blitz turns you into Teleporting Ninja Man.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Gynovore posted:

Unarmed isn't horrible, but it's definitely not as good as melee. Survival will be a challenge.

Try investing in Agility, get the Sneak perks and Blitz. Level two of Blitz turns you into Teleporting Ninja Man.

That's already what I'm doing, I've just been putting off transitioning to unarmed (and taking the unarmed damage perk) until I found an unarmed weapon comparable to the melee ones available. I guess my expectation of being able to do that before mid-late game was somewhat naive. Next time I might try unarmed but with PA since then weapons are a non-issue.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Spikeguy posted:

I'm thinking about getting back into this game but I want to mod the poo poo out of it. Someone recommended the regrowth mod. Can anyone else give me a list of the best mods?

I haven't tried it yet, but Sim Settlements looks like the best way to actually make settlement building interesting.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21872/

Holiday Lobster
Oct 27, 2009

I am going to smack everyone into tiny little pieces.
:h:

Vakal posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but Sim Settlements looks like the best way to actually make settlement building interesting.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21872/

Holy poo poo. This is the most fantastic mod for Fallout i've seen yet.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Holiday Lobster posted:

Holy poo poo. This is the most fantastic mod for Fallout i've seen yet.

This mod just got me to fix my FO4 (which for some reason stopped launching and was fixed by copying (not moving) X3DAudio1_7.dll and xinput1_3.dll from windows/system32 to my Fallout4 directory).

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
1) What is the point in the story where you have to commit to a faction? I just got the courser chip and the Railroad want it.
2) Is there a mod that lets you wear power armor without altering the HUD. I hate the PA HUD.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
1) The game will warn you when you're about to piss off a faction so until you see that pop up don't worry.

2) Probably but I haven't looked for one myself. Just search for HUD or something like that on the workshop and one should pop up.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
That only applies if you are allying with those factions before hand. If you never really commit while pushing down one of the other paths you will not get a notice.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

You just want to look out for quests where you have to ally with one faction against another. When you get either Mass Fusion or Spoils of War that is the point where you decide to burn bridges with either The Brotherhood or The Institute. Tactical Thinking or Rocket's Red Glare are the decision points for The Brotherhood and The Railroad. End of the Line or the final stage of Underground Undercover (after completing Powering Up) are the decision points for The Railroad or The Institute.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Is any of the dlc worth picking up during the steam summer sale? Far harbor is the only one that really interests me. The discounts don't seem as deep as they used to be though.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Far Harbor is worth it, it's a cool location

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Far harbor and automatron are cool as hell, nuka world is ok.

It's worth it to just get the season pass for $30, imo

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Speaking of DLC did anyone else just randomly get given Nuka World and the vault DLC when they came out? I didn't buy the season pass, just individual ones, and then came back one day and my Steam downloaded them all.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Seashell Salesman posted:

Speaking of DLC did anyone else just randomly get given Nuka World and the vault DLC when they came out? I didn't buy the season pass, just individual ones, and then came back one day and my Steam downloaded them all.

At one point I realized I had Dawnguard for Skyrim sitting in my data folder without ever having bought it, and it wasn't listed in my owned DLC. Steam and/or Bethesda hosed up somewhere and I decided to just enjoy the gift.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

J-Spot posted:

You just want to look out for quests where you have to ally with one faction against another. When you get either Mass Fusion or Spoils of War that is the point where you decide to burn bridges with either The Brotherhood or The Institute. Tactical Thinking or Rocket's Red Glare are the decision points for The Brotherhood and The Railroad. End of the Line or the final stage of Underground Undercover (after completing Powering Up) are the decision points for The Railroad or The Institute.

What's the most interesting route?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

snoremac posted:

That depends on which branch of enlightened sociopathy you consider the most enjoyable, friend.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

snoremac posted:

they're all pretty dumb take your pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

snoremac posted:

The Railroad since storming the BoS Airship by yourself, murdering everyone and blowing it up is pretty sweet

• Locked thread