Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Why would people be supportive of Trump wanting to alter trade agreements? It's a mystery.

Like Trump would do anything resulting in increasing import taxes for the clothes his companies are selling in the US. Some people are beyond gullible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Farmers vote Republican because they are least likely to raise minimum wage, something that already includes exemptions for farm work that bring the minimum wage down to something like three dollars an hour (still too much)

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

"The two men were arrested with what police said was 2,200 pounds of used grease valued at about $600. Both listed their residences in North Carolina, about 300 miles away. One of the accused was deported to Mexico last month"

:allears:

Also, I wasn't talking about your run-of-the-mill dumpster french fry grease from America. I was talking about authentic Chinese sewer salvaged cooking oil, otherwise known as "gutter oil", which is in a class of its own:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.9ca561cb8838

It is a WaPo article, so take it with a grain of salt. They do, however, have an actual video to back up the article which makes it a bit more convincing than an anonymous source from the Chinese government.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
I didn't even read that article but I assume its about the Chinese black market where they skim oil out of the sewers and sell it to restaurants

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
What I find the most baffling about China black market food is that apparently counterfeit eggs and rice made from polymers are cheaper to produce than their real counterparts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvEBN8Jd5DE

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

I didn't even read that article but I assume its about the Chinese black market where they skim oil out of the sewers and sell it to restaurants

:discourse:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

What I find the most baffling about China black market food is that apparently counterfeit eggs and rice made from polymers are cheaper to produce than their real counterparts.

Rice is labor intensive to harvest but plastic shavings are a byproduct of lots of manufacturing processes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Most of those stories are fake, hth

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Tiny Deer posted:

Hot take: genesplicer is a garbage mod because I'm somehow back.

Goddamn it you loving people can't even get me banned, what good are you?

This thread is effectively a free speech zone because the mods don't want to read it and the regulars aren't gonna get butt hurt enough to report you over anything short of an actual crime. You are ideologically on the side of the posters who would report you though so maybe consider going off reservation.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Chinese media is so unreliable and untrustworthy that many Chinese will believe whatever fwd: fwd: fwd fake stories they receive and the media can do nothing to dissuade them

This is the future of America too if the media doesn't pull up from its nosedive into fakeness and irrelevancy

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Harrower posted:

This thread is effectively a free speech zone because the mods don't want to read it and the regulars aren't gonna get butt hurt enough to report you over anything short of an actual crime.

Depends on the crime

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

Hmmmm, farmers hire illegals

Democrats support illegals

Republicans don't

Farmers vote Republican

It must be that farmers are dumb, and not that they want the system to be fixed so they don't have to hire illegals

"Supporting illegals" means making it easier for them to become citizens and punishing people who abuse their status as undocumented to exploit their labor and not pay them a fair wage.

Republicans don't want to do either of those things, meaning that it remains easy to hire some desperate fucker looking for a job then stiff him because he's undocumented.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When is the sky going to start falling, I was assured there would be sky falling.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Heaven Spacey posted:

"Supporting illegals" means making it easier for them to become citizens and punishing people who abuse their status as undocumented to exploit their labor and not pay them a fair wage.

Republicans don't want to do either of those things, meaning that it remains easy to hire some desperate fucker looking for a job then stiff him because he's undocumented.

We can start doing those things after we make sure more illegals aren't coming.

You can't do that before because then it will just lead to endless waves of more illegals showing up for free citizenship and handouts. Something like what happened to Europe

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Dolphin posted:

When is the sky going to start falling, I was assured there would be sky falling.

I was promised nuclear annihilation for around a solid year now and it doesn't even look sort of plausible yet. Hillary would have at least moved troops toward Russia by now this is bullshit.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Heaven Spacey posted:

it's almost as if both parties don't give a poo poo about actual people

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
also Tiny Deer you aren't fooling anyone you just came back for the hugs

*hugs TD*

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Harrower posted:

I was promised nuclear annihilation for around a solid year now and it doesn't even look sort of plausible yet. Hillary would have at least moved troops toward Russia by now this is bullshit.

:yeah:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Why do I get the impression Tiny Deer isn't really tiny at all

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Heaven Spacey posted:

How is making it easy for lawbreaking/criminal/illegal/undocumented aliens to become citizens fair to those who waited in line and went through the process legally?

Our country should let anyone in, so long as they are compatible with our society and will be a valuable and productive member of it. (i.e. benefit our country)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

We can start doing those things after we make sure more illegals aren't coming.

You can't do that before because then it will just lead to endless waves of more illegals showing up for free citizenship and handouts. Something like what happened to Europe

There's no realistic way to stop illegal immigration in a way that will change the status quo. Better to just say everyone is entitled to fair wages for fair work and sort the rest of that poo poo out later.

As for Europe... what has immigration done to it? This is a genuine question. Their economic troubles definitely seem like they aren't the product of having a few thousand refugees to deal with, and were going on long before the Syrian crisis really got out of hand.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

How is making it easy for lawbreaking/criminal/illegal/undocumented aliens to become citizens fair to those who waited in line and went through the process legally?

Our country should let anyone in, so long as they are compatible with our society and will be a valuable and productive member of it. (i.e. benefit our country)

Because the process now is so byzantine and exclusive that very few people can legally immigrate in anything approaching a reasonable timeframe. Assuming that everyone who comes over here looking to work as a farmhand or some poo poo is a criminal is kind of hosed up, by the way.

There are plenty of ways to go about doing this that don't involve just blanket open borders. We can have temporary work visas. We can get people the documentation. It's a hell of a lot better than the alternatives.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jun 16, 2017

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Tricked by the deep state again

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/875701471999864833

(but otherwise ok)

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

LOL that you think the legal process is "fair"

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Heaven Spacey posted:

There's no realistic way to stop illegal immigration in a way that will change the status quo. Better to just say everyone is entitled to fair wages for fair work and sort the rest of that poo poo out later.

As for Europe... what has immigration done to it? This is a genuine question. Their economic troubles definitely seem like they aren't the product of having a few thousand refugees to deal with, and were going on long before the Syrian crisis really got out of hand.

yo this is crazy but Brexit had more to do with Eastern Europeans than it did with Syrian refugees

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

:colbert: I believe if you read my posts you will discover I am in fact medically 'goddamn fatty fat', which is no great loss because my face was already repulsive.

I'm tiny only in the sense we are all tiny specks of dust in the solar winds.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

yo this is crazy but Brexit had more to do with Eastern Europeans than it did with Syrian refugees

I thought Ukraine wasn't an EU member state though? Or did the EU just decide to foot the bill for development projects in former Warsaw pact countries out of the kindness of its heart? It's the same thing, I don't see how the EU's economic troubles come from having a handful of Latvian dudes looking to work in a factory.

Again, I'm ignorant here, I'm not trying to argue.

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 16, 2017

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

runupon cracker posted:

LOL that you think the legal process is "fair"

Perhaps not, but that's also not relevant.

I don't think it's "fair" that college costs so much and I have this loan I have to pay back. But I still make payments on it because I am legally obligated to do so.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Heaven Spacey posted:

I thought Ukraine wasn't an EU member state though? Or did the EU just decide to foot the bill for development projects in former Warsaw pact countries out of the kindness of its heart? It's the same thing, I don't see how the EU's economic troubles come from having a handful of Latvian dudes looking to work in a factory.

Again, I'm ignorant here, I'm not trying to argue.

perhaps instead of dancing around from irrelevant nation to irrelevant nation you could, ya know, look at perhaps Poland

e- you're talking about the EU broadly and I'm talking about Brexit, is the issue here I think

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Tiny Deer posted:

:colbert: I believe if you read my posts you will discover I am in fact medically 'goddamn fatty fat', which is no great loss because my face was already repulsive.

I'm tiny only in the sense we are all tiny specks of dust in the solar winds.

Diagnosis: goon

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Perhaps not, but that's also not relevant.

I don't think it's "fair" that college costs so much and I have this loan I have to pay back. But I still make payments on it because I am legally obligated to do so.

so it's not really about fairness, it's about legality?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

runupon cracker posted:

so it's not really about fairness, it's about legality?

There's no human right to go wherever the gently caress you want

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

also Tiny Deer you aren't fooling anyone you just came back for the hugs

*hugs TD*

You're my favorite deplorable VikingSkull

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
we could quadruple the number of immigrants we take in and it still wouldn't be focused on taking in migrant workers because that's not the people the immigration system is looking to attract

there's a reason it costs as much as it does and that reason isn't bureaucracy

Tiny Deer posted:

aw shucks

also we prefer to be called Ignorables here

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Tiny Deer posted:

gently caress off no one cares

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
I care

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

spunky jealous

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
it is absolutely possible trump didn't know he was pissing - maddow

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Third World Reggin posted:

it is absolutely possible trump didn't know he was pissing - maddow

Yes good more takedowns of the traitor Maddow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
the tax returns are real

• Locked thread