Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zil posted:

As an Austinite I would be ok with SXSW leaving.

https://twitter.com/KVUE/status/872219077632249861

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Zil posted:

As an Austinite I would be ok with SXSW leaving.

But I do hope that the SB4 bill gets shut down in court.

The only flaw with that is that it's an event that doesn't give a huge rear end impact to the state of Texas. It really just fucks over the City of Austin, granted not so much the people that live in Austin, and the state government is notorious for loving to gently caress with Austin.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol if they moved out of Texas right after finishing their new building

https://www.1400lavaca.com

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looks like my annual nightmare will continue.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

let's protest the sanctuary cities bill by kneecapping the biggest outside influx of cash to a sanctuary city

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aliquid posted:

let's protest the sanctuary cities bill by kneecapping the biggest outside influx of cash to a sanctuary city

Charlotte got hosed by all the anti bathroom bill stuff in NC, and they were the city that actually was doing the right thing. That's the insult added to the injury of bills like this: any corporate blowback after we pass a bathroom bill in July is going to hurt cities like Houston, Austin, Dallas and SA, all of which would've had various levels of protective ordinances that got outlawed, while the rural and suburban voters who want this poo poo aren't hurt at all.

This happens most sessions, but it seemed extremely bad this year. All of the big controversial bills, SB 4, SB 6, SB 2, were all people trying to run cities they don't live in, and change ordinances and laws they aren't affected by. Don't ever believe the GOP is a party that believes in local control.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

It's going to be cool when all the cities have to fire employees because taxes get capped but people still keep bitching about low service quality and property taxes being too high.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

It's going to be cool when all the cities have to fire employees because taxes get capped but people still keep bitching about low service quality and property taxes being too high.

This is already mega happening. Watch the House and Senate hearings on the property tax bill to see local republicans yell at state republicans and call them idiots. Except Troxclair who was like OOOOH this is such a good billllllll and then Watson went upside her head. The House one is fun too because Bonnen gets into it with the witnesses.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speaking of nimby councilmembers, why was the gallo/alter election in district 10 so lopsided, when gallo was the incumbent? just driving through the district, i could easily tell alter was the more working-class choice based on yard signs

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

speaking of nimby councilmembers, why was the gallo/alter election in district 10 so lopsided, when gallo was the incumbent? just driving through the district, i could easily tell alter was the more working-class choice based on yard signs

Because Trump won and Gallo let herself be branded as a Republican, so people voted for Alter to as a way to reject Trump.

Also, are there working class people in District 10?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Also, are there working class people in District 10?

I edited this out of my post to not seem like an rear end in a top hat. I'm asking since I have no idea

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/statesman/status/873188398747586560

I went to school in Georgetown, this was a huge deal. She was a townie but she worked at a restaurant with some of my friends.

Also:

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/873196261381468162

That's not good fellas.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 9, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Confirmed: going to UT makes you dumber.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/exclusive-test-data-many-colleges-fail-to-improve-critical-thinking-skills-1496686662

(UT freshman had the highest scores of public schools participating, UT seniors did worse than freshmen.)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Confirmed: going to UT makes you dumber.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/exclusive-test-data-many-colleges-fail-to-improve-critical-thinking-skills-1496686662

(UT freshman had the highest scores of public schools participating, UT seniors did worse than freshmen.)
I heard a pretty prominent Texas editor once say he didn't like UT journalism grads because they dumb. Not all, of course!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I heard a pretty prominent Texas editor once say he didn't like UT journalism grads because they dumb. Not all, of course!

Everyone has hot takes about which J schools suck and every journalist that didn't get a degree in it thinks that j school is the worst thing that ever happened to the CRAFT of JOURNALISM.

Also they didn't find anything at that Rachael Cook site.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

zoux posted:

Everyone has hot takes about which J schools suck and every journalist that didn't get a degree in it thinks that j school is the worst thing that ever happened to the CRAFT of JOURNALISM.

Also they didn't find anything at that Rachael Cook site.

"Not only did I not go to J school; I don't even know what it is!" - Peggy Hill

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/traviscosheriff/status/873275485039583233

Phone posting

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

zoux posted:

That's not good fellas.

I never got around to finishing the article about this, was/is the problem funding or availability of open beds or some combination/confluence of factors?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hey, they actually got charged. With murder too, not some horseshit

Texas sheriff’s deputy and her husband charged with murder in chokehold at Denny’s

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Hey, they actually got charged. With murder too, not some horseshit

Texas sheriff’s deputy and her husband charged with murder in chokehold at Denny’s

Looking forward to the hung jury.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/aguillen7033/status/873721669407342592

Looks like Taylor is out.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

Nirenberg won the general election for mayor of the city on June 10, 2017. He will take office as mayor on June 1, 2017.

where we're going, we won't need toll roads

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

Transportation
Unemployment
Housing
Government transparency
Crime reduction/prevention
Civil rights
No item ranked at this value by the candidate.
Homelessness
Environment
Recreational opportunities
K-12 education
Public pensions/retirement funds

so i can't find any explicitly partisan info but he sounds like a piece of poo poo

what the hell happened, and where were hispanic votes in this election? they seemed nonexistent in the first round at like 14%

edit this formatting is hosed up, please extrapolate

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

That's a nice surprise to wake up to, I voted last night, but it's Texas, so I never expect it to actually mean anything.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aliquid posted:

so i can't find any explicitly partisan info but he sounds like a piece of poo poo

what the hell happened, and where were hispanic votes in this election? they seemed nonexistent in the first round at like 14%

edit this formatting is hosed up, please extrapolate

Extrapolate from what?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Question. I just found out about these evil abortion bills.
http://www.out.com/news-opinion/2017/6/08/texas-passes-bill-requiring-women-hold-funerals-their-abortions

I live in Fort Worth, does anyone have any suggestions on stuff I can do to help stop these kinds of policies? I've never been an activist in my life and I'm kind of the world's biggest slacktivist probably, but it's just kind of hard moving around given I'm not particularly rich and can't drive due to disability. But I feel like raging online is just...selfish. I'd try to attend protests or lend some support to fight this poo poo if I had a clue about where to start.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vote. Organize locally. Trust/hope for the courts. No one gives a poo poo about protests in Austin because they can just dismiss them as locals. No one gives a poo poo about committee testimony. If you wanna show up somewhere, show up at the ballot box in Novemeber, and help as many other people as you can to show up as well. By the time people are doing viral marketing protests for Hulu in chamber galleries, it's too late.

Also: Austin antifa thwarted the antiSharia protest at the Capitol on Saturday

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 11, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
https://twitter.com/lisamanna/status/873584193795751937

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

Extrapolate from what?

Sorry, that was the winning SA mayoral candidate's priorities when taking office.

I heard an interview with him yesterday and he didn't sound bad at all, and actually took to his opponent's left on SB4.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badge YA BOY Don Zimmerman lost to Matt Mackowiak for Travis Co. GOP Chairman.

I don't know much about Mackowiak except he's a pretty standard Republican. Don't think he's Tea Party.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have not heard Flannigan's name once since the election. Good to have a quiet district.

Started a new job today, commuting between my place near The Oasis to the Oak Knoll and Parmer area by bike. I hope Zimmerman has the same route.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TeddyDavisCNN/status/875701240231067648

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This is gonna have some interesting effect on Austin.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Eh, one more guy got richer. Sounds like they're still going to continue operating as Whole Foods and with the same people in charge, just the ownership that's changing. For now anyway.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

I'm gonna get six dollar asparagus water droned to my house.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ReidRansom posted:

Eh, one more guy got richer. Sounds like they're still going to continue operating as Whole Foods and with the same people in charge, just the ownership that's changing. For now anyway.

On the purely retail level, yea. But Whole Foods has a lot of operations and IT based out of the Austin headquarters, and I imagine there is going to be some serious upheaval there. (Fortunately, pretty much everyone I know who worked at Whole Foods HQ jumped ship years ago...)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

LanceHunter posted:

Does make me wonder how much money Amazon will start throwing at local elections to get favorable deals for more warehouses and drone housing. Them coming I feel may cause a shakeup in the 2020 elections, because Amazon won't be too keen on the anti LGBT/immigrant mindset of the current house.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amazon already has a massive warehouse in San Marcos and you can already do single day delivery in Austin. Dunno how much more infrastructure they need in central Texas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Amazon already has a massive warehouse in San Marcos and you can already do single day delivery in Austin. Dunno how much more infrastructure they need in central Texas.

Maybe they could buy the statesman and make it not terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I only read them through certain twitter feed reporters, what don't you like about the Statesman?