Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

VideoGames posted:

Splatarms.

Featuring the .96 Gal ARM. A normal ARM unless your connection is bad, then it becomes the most powerful ARM in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One thing this week accomplished was getting me to buy Amiibo, because that was another expensive hobby I needed. I do have a rule of never ever paying above MSRP though. So far I have Guardian, Rider Link, BotW Zelda, Tom Nook, and pre-ordered Bayonetta and Odyssey Peach.

Send help.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I bring Switch to work every day for lunch time Kart but we actually had a team bar crawl last night too.

We busted it out after the third or fourth round of drinks and it was awesome. People were coming over and asking to give it a shot.

And one of my coworkers hyped me up on Arms so I bit the bullet on that.

Switch is awesome.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Weird. Living in Ontario, I've never had a problem with them.

DHL and UPS can burn though.

I like the part where it was obviously stuck in a revolving door and someone accidentally scanned it every few hours.

Between that and the "We couldn't deliver because you weren't home" when I clearly was I am pretty ... unhappy with Purolator.

Going to ask Nintendo to at least upgrade the return to airmail versus donkey cart.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Give me the Wii U ports Nintendo. All of the ports

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
I'd buy a port of Star Fox Zero in a heartbeat

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Was Star Fox Zero bad all the way, or was there a quality nug at the core?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

well why not posted:

Was Star Fox Zero bad all the way, or was there a quality nug at the core?

The controls insanely steep learning curve just sour most of the game.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Weren't we going to start a new thread after E3?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wouldn't make a very good port. The dual perspective is the best thing about the game. Without it you just have motion controls without being able to see very precisely where you're aiming and a far too small set of levels, most of them mediocre, and far too many of them slow paced alternate vehicle levels.

I think they need the Mario Kart team to make a Star Fox game. Stages can be thought of a lot like race tracks, just with people trying to kill you, and last time that team cranked out 48 tracks. Imagine Wario's Mountain but with a laser cannon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mega64 posted:

I think they needed to let people know that, yes, Metroid Prime 4 and Pokemon Switch do exist. People have been clamoring for both for a long time, and keeping things quiet on them would've made it seem like Nintendo's not listening to its audience (see the reaction to lack of VC mentions as an example).

Yeah, these weren't quite so much general marketing as an awareness that if they didn't confirm/deny them people would just keep on spitballing about their possible existence for another year.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
It's really cute that the havok in Mario x Rabbids is caused by a scared Rabbid with reality warping powers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I'm going to start a new thread but I can only work on the op on weekends, and last weekend has as lot of poo poo come up.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Can someone explain the appeal of arms? I've watched a bit over a half hour of people playing and it looks slow to play and not very fun. What am I not getting?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have played ARMS and can confirm it is GOOD.

Dr. Tim is wrong, friends! Buy ARMS! DIgitally!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fun Times! posted:

Can someone explain the appeal of arms? I've watched a bit over a half hour of people playing and it looks slow to play and not very fun. What am I not getting?

It's not supposed to be fast, it's a slower-paced boxing game rather than super-combo sugar-fuelled twitch-fighter. Take your time, pick your shots, sock'em in the face. If you try playing fast and twitchy, you just get smashed down good and proper for not guarding.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's really cute that the havok in Mario x Rabbids is caused by a scared Rabbid with reality warping powers.

It helps his design is actually cute too unlike all the other rabbids

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not supposed to be fast, it's a slower-paced boxing game rather than super-combo sugar-fuelled twitch-fighter. Take your time, pick your shots, sock'em in the face. If you try playing fast and twitchy, you just get smashed down good and proper for not guarding.

Not so much true at high level play. Watching the dev compete against the winner of the E3 tournament was a huge eye opener. He was constantly moving around and using it to get the best position based on the arena. At one point in the arena with the trampolines on the edges he drove his opponent into a corner, knocked him down so he fell and bounced up on a trampoline, then used his rush power to juggle him on the air and destroy him

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 16, 2017

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Fun Times! posted:

For me the appeal is that the 1v1 matches themselves are fine, but when playing unranked online you get dropped into other modes like basketball where you have to grab your opponent to dunk them through the hoop, or 2v2 matches where you are tethered to your partner. The matches themselves seem not very long so it's also a great pick up and play game.

It should be noted that I don't intend to play this game competitively and as such don't really have an opinion about its appeal for that. But I think it seems fun for playing with friends or online in lots of short sessions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grand theft grotto posted:

For me the appeal is that the 1v1 matches themselves are fine, but when playing unranked online you get dropped into other modes like basketball where you have to grab your opponent to dunk them through the hoop, or 2v2 matches where you are tethered to your partner. The matches themselves seem not very long so it's also a great pick up and play game.

It should be noted that I don't intend to play this game competitively and as such don't really have an opinion about its appeal for that. But I think it seems fun for playing with friends or online in lots of short sessions.

I find Hoops to be a wretched mess, because you can, and will, figure out the timing to just chain-dunk the other guy (or have it done to you) almost immediately.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fun Times! posted:

That it's not slow to play and is pretty fun, I guess.

I mean it's not some twitchy rapid fire thing where you spam light attacks or something - not if you want to win anyway.

There's a lot to keep track of at the beginning, learning curve wise.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Nephzinho posted:

I want to get Arms, but Splatoon is coming out soon. HMmmm.

Look at it this way: Splatoon has a high chance of being successful, Arms not so much. Not only in terms of just sales, but general competitive activity, and it always sucks to miss out on activity periods that eventually fizzle out.

If you care about Arms and think you'll regret not jumping in at it's potential peak of activity, then buy Arms and wait on Splatoon. Splatoon will still be there. If you don't really care all that much about Arms, then just get Splatoon and see how long Arms pans out for.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think they need the Mario Kart team to make a Star Fox game. Stages can be thought of a lot like race tracks, just with people trying to kill you, and last time that team cranked out 48 tracks. Imagine Wario's Mountain but with a laser cannon.

They need the Mario Kart team not just cause of similarities with tracks, they need them because they need devs who already know how to make a good franchise installment without radically changing the formula all the time.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
woke up this morning really pissed off that it was not october 27th.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vikar Jerome posted:

woke up this morning and I got out of bed really pissed off that it was not october 27th. Ooooooooeeeeeeeeeeee

What up with that? What up with that?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I am glad the metroid 2 remake on 3DS has Samus in the normal suit. I think the zero suit is really lame and not strong Samus looking. She is a total badass metroid killer!

The zero suit is really lame and disappointingly cheesecake for a character who's historically been the opposite of that. It was fine as a sprite in Zero mission but when they started using big titty bodysuit Samus in smash bros it got cringey.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Splarms.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Are you not familiar with Helix's big ink-spraying ARMS that block the opponent's screen? :colbert:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Tender Bender posted:

The zero suit is really lame and disappointingly cheesecake for a character who's historically been the opposite of that. It was fine as a sprite in Zero mission but when they started using big titty bodysuit Samus in smash bros it got cringey.

Agreed.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Requesting next thread title as "If it's not fun what's the point?"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MP1 Samus was loving awesome.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Are you not familiar with Helix's big ink-spraying ARMS that block the opponent's screen? :colbert:

I admit I have not seen anything of ARMS at all. I don't know anything about it other than it's very divisive in this thread.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Tender Bender posted:

I mean, it's not exactly unprecedented (unfortunately), what with Justin Bailey and the bikini endings for beating games in under a certain time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VideoGames posted:

I admit I have not seen anything of ARMS at all. I don't know anything about it other than it's very divisive in this thread.

You do your username and mod D-Pad a disservice, good sir! A great disservice! :wotwot:

Seriously though, it's very fun and well worth playing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You do your username and mod D-Pad a disservice, good sir! A great disservice! :wotwot:

Sometimes I do, the problem is there are too many games! I just haven't had the time!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

VideoGames posted:

I think it's very fun but it's true that it's light on content right now. The announcement that they've got another fighter waiting in the wings gives me confidence that they're gonna release more things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr Cheeto posted:

I think it's very fun but it's true that it's light on content right now. The announcement that they've got another fighter waiting in the wings gives me confidence that they're gonna release more things.

They've been quite open about the fact it's going to be like Splatoon and regularly get new content.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I feel like ARMS is something I'd have to put a lot of time into just to get good at it. With Mario Kart I guess I've played enough of it over the years that I can pick a new one up and do alright with it. It kind of happened with Splatoon, that while I enjoyed the game, I think I ended up playing it over the weekend it came out, then never really touched it again just because I didn't have much time, and something else came out in the meantime. :(

On the other hand, I think it's something which may be a lot of fun to play while visiting my family etc, so I may pick it up prior to my next visit.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Arms is the new Virtual On, don't quote reply me

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah I'd be keen for them to lean into the racer/arcade stuff, like Score Attack or Time Trials being an option. Ditch everything apart from the Arwing and Landmaster, also. I think the ideal Star Fox for me would be like 64, except with more maps and faster. 64 plays really slowly.

All Range Mode isn't really fun, either, you end up just endlessly flying in a circle. Scale that back in favour of multi-stage bosses like the train.

To make it ever more Kart like, some missions could be strafing runs where you have three laps on a target, go as fast as possible and cause as much destruction as you can.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harlock posted:

Arms is the new Virtual On, don't quote reply me

I would love to see Sega get wise and rip off the ARMS 'twin-stick' motion controls for a new Virtual-On :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

aware of dog posted:

I mean, it's not exactly unprecedented (unfortunately), what with Justin Bailey and the bikini endings for beating games in under a certain time.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that stuff either, although it's not as bad when it isn't drawn to be blatant fanservice.

• Locked thread