Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Gotta be honest, this new system doesnt sound too shabby, as long as its not mandatory.

It honestly feels more like a platform for Bethesda to publish their own DLC with modders being invited in as an afterthought.

(If this is the way that we get SKSE for the special edition, though, I will laugh and laugh and laugh.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Huh, really should have waited to post that on this page. That Organic Factions mod is easily the hugest thing i've seen out of Skyrim since it's release. Regardless, check the bottom of the last page. It's amazing, and really needs lots more attention.

Also the Creation Club is going to be so hilariously unmanageable. How will they stop pirating of content or people loving with the mods? If they encrypt the mods it'll be a day 1 crack. Never mind that mod creators that aren't a part of the club will have conniptions (or just quit modding Skyrim) due to the trouble it'll cause.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 12, 2017

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Archonex posted:

How will they stop pirating of content or people loving with the mods?
The DLC doesn't even have any sort of DRM (technically they're the same as any mod). So my guess would be on Bethesda not even bothering.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

GunnerJ posted:

Holy poo poo.

Other than the fact they're still going to act like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP9sEt8Xj6g

e:

Azhais fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 12, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean dwarven mudcrab armor is pretty cool though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Archonex posted:

Speaking of talented modders. I meant to post this before I was distracted by the Creation Club thing. This guy is doing some absolutely batshit insane stuff (in a good way) with Skyrim. It's easily the most complex and impressive thing i've seen, and once it's finished will probably make it a whole new game in an actual dynamic world.

His video explains it more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXEsoDA5Cc

It basically uses the faction identifier system as a base to create living breathing factions that slowly conquer the dungeons in the world. So a vampire clan can start out at Bloodlet Throne or Volkihar Castle and start conquering their area of the world, before eventually coming into contact with other factions. Or the Forsworn can eventually get such power and numbers that they can lay siege to Markath. This includes them getting access to unique suppliers and "jungle style" moba camps that help supplement their troops and supplies. So them finding a dungeon with an alchemist in it means they'll have heals and neat buffs, etc, etc, etc.

If they get too strong they can actually out level the player too. But it works, seeing as how each of the leveled characters is persistent. Which means you can run hit and run attacks on a base of operations if the enemy is 20+ levels above you to whittle their numbers down.

What's more, this works as a way to hold the faction up, since the game features working representatives of each faction that act as lynch pins for progression of the faction. If you take out a lieutenant then the whole faction loses it's progression level-wise until a new one is elected and reaches their prior level. You can also assassinate the suppliers and "jungle" camp people to shut down their own supply of troops too. Suffice to say that actually making the world a living and changing thing opens up all sorts of new game play opportunities for different playstyles. Here's a quote that goes into detail on what I mean:

He's released a demo of it, turning the Forsworn into their own organic faction. And a second faction is about to be released on Special Edition soon. He's also released a framework mod that lets people design their own organic factions.

He also is hoping the Skyrim community will help him with designing more factions and their AI. Because making something like this is complicated as hell. So if you've got any help to offer posting on the comment page asking him what you can do would be awesome. I'm thinking of volunteering making a few of the "friendly" factions like the Stormcloaks and Legion or the Dawnguard/Volkihar factions into a proper organic faction.

Jesus Christ Almighty :stare: If this can function half as well as he hopes it's the most radical game-changer (lol a pun) since release.

Azhais posted:

Other than the fact they're still going to act like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP9sEt8Xj6g

e:

I'll buy it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'll only consider the Dwarven Mudcrab armor if it's compatible with the one where they wear little top hats and monocles.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

docbeard posted:

It honestly feels more like a platform for Bethesda to publish their own DLC with modders being invited in as an afterthought.

(If this is the way that we get SKSE for the special edition, though, I will laugh and laugh and laugh.)

Existing mods aren't going to be on Creation Club. Also, all of the mods will have to be compatible with the console versions, so a script extender would be off the table in the first place.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

That has to be entirely deliberate.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Jo Joestar posted:

I've just reinstalled Skyrim after a fairly long break from it, and I've run into a problem following the OP's guide to modding. One of the first things the OP and STEP tell me to do is to install it outside of c:\Program Files, but Steam is being very uncooperative - apparantly I can only have one Steam folder per drive, and I don't have an alternate drive to download it to. I've been able to launch the game after manually transferring the Skyrim folder out of the Steam folder, but Steam doesn't recognise it in its new location. Is there any better solution to this?

E: Thank you!

Don't worry about this. I never do it. It's only a problem if your not logged in as admin. If you're not, you're probably kinda smart, but only kinda.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

That has to be entirely deliberate.

They couched the whole promo slide in humor to make it a bit less rough. One of the other things on the page is Horse Armor.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
The cynic in me is a bit concerned about this Creation Club thing, particularly moving forward. In my icy black heart I can imagine future releases having content held back from the base game and released later as a 'premium mod' . I suppose that ship has theoretically sailed with things like DLC so not much that can be done about it now. All unproven concerns on my part, it just seems to be the direction Bethesda is moving with more and more microtransactions and subscriptions where you just never feel like you're done paying for the game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

We're never done playing, why would we ever be done paying? :colbert:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

that organic factions thing sounds great, too bad most of it doesn't engage the player at all

i'm not sure if I would notice/care that a cave has different warm bodies in it

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

that organic factions thing sounds great, too bad most of it doesn't engage the player at all

It isn't exactly supposed to. The idea is to have the world do something apart from you, BUT allow the player to interact with it, optionally, or by chance. Example, a faction may grow relatively powerful and cause you a bit of grief. Some vanilla quest happens to take you to an area that is vital to said faction. Without you exactly realizing up front, you cut the legs out from under the faction, and as you wrap up the quest you realize what was going on. Later in the game this faction that was growing may start to diminish, either in territory, strength (lower level NPCs) or both.

Some of it may be opaque, especially if you're not really paying attention to the mechanics of the mod, but it's probably the way an open world game like this "should" work. Something that works without player interaction, but can be influenced directly at the player's discretion.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

yeah I get that but how does that answer the second point in every enemy fighting you in identical ways and the only difference being what textures they have

I really hope the mod is good but they should maybe address fighting forsworn vs vampires not mattering even a bit lol

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

yeah I get that but how does that answer the second point in every enemy fighting you in identical ways and the only difference being what textures they have

I really hope the mod is good but they should maybe address fighting forsworn vs vampires not mattering even a bit lol
Beyond the scope of the mod. This is more like a story telling deal, probably best felt across a couple of different characters, where different combat rolls in the mod cause various factions to grow/retract in odd ways, to say nothing of how your character interactions may foul some of that up in different ways.

You're looking for some sort of total overhaul that unfucks bethesda's poo poo excuse for NPC design.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

i'm not sure if I would notice/care that a cave has different warm bodies in it

It's not just that. It alters the game world in other ways too. The actions of the factions create events that alter the world and how it interacts with the character. They also assign patrols and move from location to location. Also, later builds are supposed to let you interact with the factions and possibly join them.

As an example of what I mean, I noticed a message mentioning that the prices on items in Markath went up in my game recently due to the Forsworn blockading the place. I snuck by a bunch of them and made enough cash to get a house early. Then I left Markath for sunnier shores. Because gently caress Markath.

The guy also made an advanced AI framework that supposedly overhauls the way the AI works in combat. But from what I can tell it's on the back burner for the time being given how much of a big deal the organic factions project is.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 13, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Archonex posted:

Huh, really should have waited to post that on this page. That Organic Factions mod is easily the hugest thing i've seen out of Skyrim since it's release. Regardless, check the bottom of the last page. It's amazing, and really needs lots more attention.

Also the Creation Club is going to be so hilariously unmanageable. How will they stop pirating of content or people loving with the mods? If they encrypt the mods it'll be a day 1 crack. Never mind that mod creators that aren't a part of the club will have conniptions (or just quit modding Skyrim) due to the trouble it'll cause.

In theory it's possible with some clever scripting, but Bethesda would have to extend their api for it to work. What it could do is have a script that runs once on load that phones home and checks to see if the user has purchased the given content, disabling it if it doesn't check out, and serializes the value to the game save so it doesn't need to run again. Of course, unless you also build that into the ck it would be pretty trivial to remove, and if they haven't done that for the DLC I doubt they'd do so for this.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
The Skyblivion guys have come out officially to state they have no plans to use the Creation Club for their project. I'm not even sure something like that could or would be accepted by Bethesda anyhow but it at least clarifies their position. They seem like they have been pretty active of late getting work done and streaming progress somewhat regularly.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

graynull posted:

The Skyblivion guys have come out officially to state they have no plans to use the Creation Club for their project. I'm not even sure something like that could or would be accepted by Bethesda anyhow but it at least clarifies their position. They seem like they have been pretty active of late getting work done and streaming progress somewhat regularly.

Technically, it contradicts the mod requirements, in that it necessarily would not be compatible with other mods on the Creator's Club. It MIGHT be the sort of thing that could be released as an alternate DLC, like some sort of stand alone DLC, but it would need to be a VERY special exception.

What's more, they're relying on the Script Extender, so all other considerations aside, it wouldn't even work in practice, and who knows whether the project is viable in theory (absent a script extender, or some sort of official Bethesda support that would allow it to function as a special exception stand alone DLC).

Interestingly, they also announced they'll be working on their own script extender if the usual guys aren't able to get their's up to speed by the time they're ready to release. So might be staggered, but it's neat they're already making accommodations. My guess is they had to do some of their own work on script extension that they have the knowhow in their network to get it done otherwise. Which might be neat, since it could mean a few odd additional script functions that not even SKSE provided, but that's based on the assumption they even needed to do their own hacking for unique features on non-special edition.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So your friend trainwiz is doing something for the Creation Club. Though it wasn't much of a secret, he confirmed it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Schubalts posted:

So your friend trainwiz is doing something for the Creation Club. Though it wasn't much of a secret, he confirmed it.

I wonder how lore crazy they'll let him get. After all, Dovahkiin fighting a Kaiju monster while driving Numidium 2.0 was totally in keeping with ES lore, for Talossake.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I hope he recreates this mod.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I don't know where else to ask this so is it worth playing Fallout 4 on a console? I usually play these games on the PC but I can get it for free for the PS4. I know the game is pretty mediocre so are there any good mods that help it or will it be fine on console?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I don't know where else to ask this so is it worth playing Fallout 4 on a console? I usually play these games on the PC but I can get it for free for the PS4. I know the game is pretty mediocre so are there any good mods that help it or will it be fine on console?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723844
or
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779393

But to answer your question, no. ESPECIALLY not on PS4. Mods do help, but not with PS4, where mods are incredibly limited. Vanilla isn't too bad for a playthrough, however. If you're getting it for free, why not? If you kinda like some of the stuff and feel like modding, can always actually pay for it on PC.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is there such a thing as a mod for Skyrim that lets you have free control of the camera in third-person view and is there a mod that can make custom mouth movements for speech?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Well, you can just open the console and type "tfc" without quotes

Also "tfc 1" gives free cam and freezes the game, good for taking action screenshots.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
novajam is mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs7hzBi97ew

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Tried playing Skyrim SE with a cut down selection of the mods there but gave up after a bit. SPERG having a bunch of bugs with my favorite perk (Best Friend) right off the bat soured me pretty quick.

Do we have any sort of idea when the 4GB limit on Oldrim is going to be fixed? I thought someone identified the issue a few weeks back?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Zore posted:

Do we have any sort of idea when the 4GB limit on Oldrim is going to be fixed? I thought someone identified the issue a few weeks back?

It can't be "fixed" because of the nature of being a 32 bit program. There is a work-around. You can find info on all this and more in the OP.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

It can't be "fixed" because of the nature of being a 32 bit program. There is a work-around. You can find info on all this and more in the OP.

I think they're talking about the rumors of a fix to the Windows 10 issue where the workarounds don't work, and as far as I know, those are still only rumors.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

docbeard posted:

I think they're talking about the rumors of a fix to the Windows 10 issue where the workarounds don't work, and as far as I know, those are still only rumors.

Ah, OK. Yeah no idea about that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, sorry I was specifically talking about the Windows 10 thing.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

My understanding on the progress towards fixing the Windows 10 4 GB VRAM thing is that some guy who works at Microsoft on Directx said it might be fixable and that that's the last anyone heard of it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

My understanding on the progress towards fixing the Windows 10 4 GB VRAM thing is that some guy who works at Microsoft on Directx said it might be fixable and that that's the last anyone heard of it.

Yeah, I think that's the last (and first) thing that anyone has heard.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/6e9e7a/i_dont_want_to_get_your_hopes_up_but_windows_10/di9omj6/

Last word from the guy is still that it'll happen in a Windows 10 insider build sooner or later, I guess unless it turns out "fixing" it causes other problems.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is Oldrim with all the mods really that much better than Skyrim SE with less mods available? I'm not trolling or anything, I am new to all this. Just downloaded SE on steam three weeks ago, and I've found a ton of mods that are awesome. Somehow I have managed to put 149 hours into it in twenty days, it is some really sick poo poo and I guess now I am a sick, broken person.

But all the old-timers here and everywhere else seem to think Oldrim and the countless mods for it (along with SKSE) was the greatest thing ever. If it's really better than SE, and I had gotten that instead I guess I probably would have died of starvation sitting at the computer by now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Is Oldrim with all the mods really that much better than Skyrim SE with less mods available? I'm not trolling or anything, I am new to all this. Just downloaded SE on steam three weeks ago, and I've found a ton of mods that are awesome. Somehow I have managed to put 149 hours into it in twenty days, it is some really sick poo poo and I guess now I am a sick, broken person.

But all the old-timers here and everywhere else seem to think Oldrim and the countless mods for it (along with SKSE) was the greatest thing ever. If it's really better than SE, and I had gotten that instead I guess I probably would have died of starvation sitting at the computer by now.

It's really more of a question of whether there are mods you can't live without that only work on Oldrim.

If you're just starting out, I would absolutely say to start with Special Edition. At worst, you'll never know what you're missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SE is such an improvment in performance that I really wouldn't want to go back.