Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Honestly this makes it even better imo. IOI got in, lost Square Enix a bunch of money to make one of the best games of 2016 and prove without a doubt that the episodic game format can work well in the right hands, and then got out with Hitman in tow. And Squeenix totally deserves it. It's like an actual Hitman level but with corporate politics instead of assassination.

Agent 47 million loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Don't worry I'm sure they'll gently caress up the FFVII remake in another absurd way shortly.

Aeris will now properly say "that guy is sick"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Phantasium posted:

Agent 47 million loss.

Suit(s) Only Silent Assassin

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

CJacobs posted:

Honestly this makes it even better imo. IOI got in, lost Square Enix a bunch of money to make one of the best games of 2016 and prove without a doubt that the episodic game format can work well in the right hands, and then got out with Hitman in tow. And Squeenix totally deserves it. It's like an actual Hitman level but with corporate politics instead of assassination.

I mean sadly they kinda proved the opposite didn't they?

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

corn in the bible posted:

No he's thinking of the people making Prey 2 who Bethesda destroyed for no reason

This is what it was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TellTale proved that episodic content was viable like 10 years ago and without losing a bunch of money.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

I think it was more Absolution being poor and affecting the next game, when Season 1 has slowly gathered steam and momentum.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MMF Freeway posted:

imo Hitman's lack of sales are not due to it being an episodic game and said sales would have been worse had it been just a normal title a la Blood Money. The game had a lot going against it from the start: It came out at a bad time of year up against several other big releases, it was coming off of the reputation of a game that was pretty bad in the public eye (Absolution), and Hitman's already not an extremely popular series in addition to not having real great marketing throughout its run (there were extensive ads for the game's launch but basically nothing after that).

VideoGames posted:

I think it was more Absolution being poor and affecting the next game, when Season 1 has slowly gathered steam and momentum.

this also

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
hitman absolution is irredeemable

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They should probably also stop naming new games with the titles of old games. Hitman Anything-At-All would have more of a presence.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sure, and not to mention the last minute format change with the refunded pre-orders, always online stuff and elusive targets rubbed people the wrong way and I think was the biggest factor in poor steam reviews out the gate. I like new hitman as much as the next guy, but I didn't buy it episodically which I think was the right call. Definitely doesn't strike me as a great example of successful use of the format.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Also if IOI continue to lose money they'll go away quickly. It'll be interesting to see where the funding comes from moving forward. If it's crowdfunding then... lol.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

gently caress yeah. I'm hopeful that they realize that the new Hitman was the right gameplay direction, just make one big release next time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I specifically didn't buy hitman because it was too complicated to do. I bought the intro pack and then every time I tried to buy the rest of the game there were different reasons I either couldn't, or it was a bad deal to do so.

Regardless of whether the episodic model was bad, the way they actually sold it was a complicated nightmare.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

hitman absolution is irredeemable

It's not a great Hitman game but it's a decent enough stealth action game, especially if you got it for a buck any one of the times it got that cheap. The bondage titty nuns were definitely the bad kind of stupid (even if their level was great for getting to use a scarecrow costume to sneak through a cornfield undetected and pick people off) but redneck gangs of greasers in bowling shirts, getting to wrestle a giant cartoon Mexican to death, and the crazy Deus Ex munitions factory with pig landmines were all goofy in a fun way.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

Sure, and not to mention the last minute format change with the refunded pre-orders, always online stuff and elusive targets rubbed people the wrong way and I think was the biggest factor in poor steam reviews out the gate. I like new hitman as much as the next guy, but I didn't buy it episodically which I think was the right call. Definitely doesn't strike me as a great example of successful use of the format.

It was, in my opinion, the only successful use of the format. Hitman's levels are extremely replayable and the episodic format encourages players to play one level over and over, while people who get the whole thing can rush through the game and not spend time on challenges and the like. It actually gets something out of being released that way, and I can't think of any other game that was episodic for a good reason (Telltale games are episodic but all that does is make you wait months between each story beat; I don't think it actually adds much).

It being confusing and badly explained was definitely a problem, though. And the initial plan of releasing just two episodes of three levels each probably would've worked much better. That would given launch buyers Sapienza, the best level in the series.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 16, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy Mann posted:

It's not a great Hitman game but it's a decent enough stealth action game, especially if you got it for a buck any one of the times it got that cheap. The bondage titty nuns were definitely the bad kind of stupid (even if their level was great for getting to use a scarecrow costume to sneak through a cornfield undetected and pick people off) but redneck gangs of greasers in bowling shirts, getting to wrestle a giant cartoon Mexican to death, and the crazy Deus Ex munitions factory with pig landmines were all goofy in a fun way.

You're misremembering it. For one thing the nun level was at the hotel and sucked

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I won't pretend to understand the nuances of situations like this but didn't SE wholly own IO? Is it normal for a studio to just go independent in a case like this?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

You're misremembering it. For one thing the nun level was at the hotel and sucked

You are the one misremembering it. You escape the burning hotel and cross the street into the nearby fields. Absolution was fun in spite of the writing, my friend, I am sorry you still hold a grudge against it like so many.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PantsBandit posted:

I won't pretend to understand the nuances of situations like this but didn't SE wholly own IO? Is it normal for a studio to just go independent in a case like this?

They lost a ton of money and nobody wanted to buy them so they probably took out a bunch of loans, gave the money to SE, and SE cut their losses

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

PantsBandit posted:

It is weird and it very much sounds like SE could have very easily hosed everyone over if they wanted to. I'm very happy that they didn't.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

You are the one misremembering it. You escape the burning hotel and cross the street into the nearby fields. Absolution was fun in spite of the writing, my friend, I am sorry you still hold a grudge against it like so many.
ehhh it was mediocre. the only good thing about it were some of the creative deaths, like dropping a whale skeleton on a person, but that's about it. the disguise mode was terrible

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
So will game companies start covering the costs for user data caps because a lump sum 100 GB download is pretty fukkin' hefty.

Or at least will Microsoft start covering the charges? I know you have the money dude don't say that you don't.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I think the issue here is bad internet providers actually selling plans with data caps

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Which game has the biggest file size (that article says Gears of War 4 is 120GB lol)

I hate it because my PS4 is only 500GB and a bunch of games are like 40-50+GB now. I wish buying physical saved space but I think the disc just installs the game and it's the same size as the digital download basically. idk if the disc is even doing anything after that

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jun 16, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Squeenix letting the Hitman IP stay with IOI is actually the most decent thing they've done in a long time. They could have easily shrugged about it and shelved the franchise, not giving a poo poo as it rots away. That they had the goodwill to let it go even after losing cash on it is a nice thing of them to do.

I think Hitman's sales being low had less to do with episodic format (which worked beautifully) and more to do with the "stats and unlocks tied to online servers" which people did not like at all. Hopefully going forward they will change that one aspect, because I have no idea why that needed to be a thing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Which game has the biggest file size (that article says Gears of War 4 is 120GB lol)

I hate it because my PS4 is only 500GB and a bunch of games are like 40-50+GB now. I wish buying physical saved space but I think the disc just installs the game and it's the same size as the digital download basically. idk if the disc is even doing anything after that

After install the disk is not doing anything except confirming that you (or at least someone) paid for the copy you're playing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
PaRappa remastered is pretty great. That loving chicken still has the hardest stage though. :negative:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

PaRappa remastered is pretty great. That loving chicken still has the hardest stage though. :negative:

Was watching the Quick Look on that and it still seems super unforgiving- still a drat cool game though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this sakuna game looks cool

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Quest For Glory II posted:

this sakuna game looks cool

The rice farming minigames are blowing my loving mind

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/TheToiletDuck/status/862660057095450624

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
He did it, he really did it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Wow your avatar changed quick. What was with the rogue one you had for a bit? Something you didn't pick out?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The absolute boy does it again

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

New Concept Hole posted:

Wasn't Bethesda terrible to the developers of Prey, or something along those lines?

Bethesda is terrible to everyone.

VideoGames posted:

I think a lot of people took a "wait and see" approach to the new Hitman, which episodic content tends to encourage anyway, and they waited too long.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 16, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you haven't played the new Hitman by now, play it now. Just a PSA for ya

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-XcWCDfmE

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

If you haven't played the new Hitman by now, play it now. Just a PSA for ya

Waiting for a good sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

4:08 - CrowbCat no, don't do that.