Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I thought Emakrul was bad simply because you could cheat it out with Marvel? All they really had to do was reprint Nature's Claim or Oxidize or even just something like Stony Silence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mandatory lesbian posted:

stealing a sheet of cards isn't worth jail time you weirdo. def a fireable offense, and they can probably take them to court for it (and presumably breaking an NDA), but a fine is a perfectly reasonable response

The sheet is easily worth more than $500, making this a felony in most states.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Has WotC made any comments about the Ixalan leaks?

Also, Maro answered my question on his blog. :glomp:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I'm also 100% surprised they didn't print anything to mess up your opponents energy counters or use your opponents energy against them "Opponent loses 3 energy counters" "Opponent takes 2 damage for each energy counter they control" "You gain 1 mana for each energy counter an opponent controls"

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

DariusLikewise posted:

I thought Emakrul was bad simply because you could cheat it out with Marvel? All they really had to do was reprint Nature's Claim or Oxidize or even just something like Stony Silence

HER delirium made HER actually castable in B/G shells as well, so it wasn't terribly hard to just do it in the mid-range heavy metas.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Gay Horney posted:

What's the deal with the two Bolas planeswalkers that apparently are leaked? God-Pharoah and Deceiver. Are they both coming in Hour? I'll probably get back into standard no matter what if there are two bolases

the 7 mana one is the real one, the 8 mana one is the intro deck one. they have special newbie versions of planeswalkers as intro deck rares now, they're standard legal but are intentionally a lot weaker than the 'real' one that's in packs.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tortilla Maker posted:

Has WotC made any comments about the Ixalan leaks?

Also, Maro answered my question on his blog. :glomp:

i would expect a carefully worded statement next week reminding us why leaks are Bad For Magic and then silence until we get to the IXL preview season time at which point we'll find out what approach they've chosen.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Yeah the God Pharoah looks fuckin legit. I had no idea there were Bolas horns all over Amonkhet I'm excited now. Thanks team

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

There are no efficient answers to Marvel, Copter and Emrakul. They were just bad designs.

What are you talking about there are tons of answers to these cards?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

TheChirurgeon posted:

Weirdly, if the police asked Wizards what the value of the stole items were, they'd have to say like, $50 right? Theoretically Magic cards don't have individual values or booster packs could get them accused of gambling.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

Weirdly, if the police asked Wizards what the value of the stole items were, they'd have to say like, $50 right? Theoretically Magic cards don't have individual values or booster packs could get them accused of gambling.

i don't know anything about the law surrounding confidential IP/trade secrets but surely that's what comes in here, not the value of the physical piece of paper?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Gay Horney posted:

What's the deal with the two Bolas planeswalkers that apparently are leaked? God-Pharoah and Deceiver. Are they both coming in Hour? I'll probably get back into standard no matter what if there are two bolases

As an aside, the four decks in the Archenemy: Nicol Bolas box set are all reprints and each deck has one planeswalker in them. There's Gideon Jura (ROE, M12); Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker (CON, M13); Chandra, Pyromaster (M14, M15); and Nissa, Worldwaker (M15) in there.

And some other nice reprints like Grim Lavamancer, Lightning Bolt, and Grand Abolisher.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

mossyfisk posted:

Putting that issue aside, which I don't think would hold water (they'd be able to make the case that it had a cost above $50, possibly based on the number of cards that would be distributed to each box), uncut sheets, particularly foil ones for popular sets have a value separate from their individual card value. People frame them and hang them as art, and the value of this particular sheet is probably somewhere around $1,000, particularly if sold pre-release.

They'll also have cause to file suit over the violation of the NDA and potential lost sales.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

This is probably the most correct. I very much doubt any prosecutor would value this at anything more than the actual value of the sheet itself. Even if they could argue higher value, this would get NCF'd to a misdemeanor​ court in a loving second. Civil court would be where WotC would want this if actual damages were something they wanted to try and pursue.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
The secretary at Coca-Cola who stole the recipe was sentenced to 8 years in prison. Basis for sentencing was stealing trade secrets. I think there'd be parallels beyond a $50 charge at small claims court.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

i would expect a carefully worded statement next week reminding us why leaks are Bad For Magic and then silence until we get to the IXL preview season time at which point we'll find out what approach they've chosen.

"The existence of leaks is the real story here" - Patrick "Trick" Jarrett

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
And no one will help this guy because he's taken such lovely tiny pictures that we all hate him.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

FWIW, theft 2 in Washington is $750. Where I'm not certain, the local police agency for that print shop though would be the ones taking this if anyone did right? So even though WotC is in WA , the RCW may not even apply.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mcmagic posted:

There are no efficient answers to Marvel, Copter and Emrakul. They were just bad designs.

Thoughtsieze and Ancient Grudge would have stopped all of the bullshit from needing banning. Or hell, Counterspell.

Or Hymn to Tourach :smuggo:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Rancored_elf got sued for literal thousands of dollars for making a forum post with a scan of Timeshifted play test cards. He wasn't even the one who took the pictures, just posted them.

This guy, if they catch him, is going to get hosed.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mef989 posted:

This is probably the most correct. I very much doubt any prosecutor would value this at anything more than the actual value of the sheet itself. Even if they could argue higher value, this would get NCF'd to a misdemeanor​ court in a loving second. Civil court would be where WotC would want this if actual damages were something they wanted to try and pursue.

The prosecutors opinion about an items value doesn't mean anything. The victim just has to prove it was worth a certain amount, which is as easy as finding prices for similar items. A lawsuit is where this would probably end up but larceny of trade secrets is actually a thing. Don't think this falls under that though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And no one will help this guy because he's taken such lovely tiny pictures that we all hate him.

Has anyone considered that the people who take these pictures for anonymous e-fame can't use their cellphone camera, so they're using some cheap "spy camera" poo poo? I don't know how corporate security works in places like the printing press for a major company, but I imagine they either have their cellphones confiscated (is that legal?) or more likely they have security watching for anyone whipping their cellphones out and snapping a photo.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

Rancored_elf got sued for literal thousands of dollars for making a forum post with a scan of Timeshifted play test cards. He wasn't even the one who took the pictures, just posted them.

This guy, if they catch him, is going to get hosed.

In civil court 100% yes. I'm just sceptical on the criminal side. I might actually track down one of our prosecutors today if they aren't busy just to pose this question as a hypothetical since I'm curious what their take would be.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
A foil rare sheet you say? Well that's at least 1500 prize wall tickets, your honour.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The prosecutors opinion about an items value doesn't mean anything. The victim just has to prove it was worth a certain amount, which is as easy as finding prices for similar items. A lawsuit is where this would probably end up but larceny of trade secrets is actually a thing. Don't think this falls under that though.

I suppose I phrased that poorly. You're right that there is an argument that this reaches felony level and that WotC may value it higher and that if they can prove it then it can meet the elements of felony theft. I'm just viewing it from the position that there are a lot of crimes which technically meet the requirements of a felony that get kicked down to muni court / city prosecutors because the felony prosecutors don't want to touch them.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
mmmmmm litigation chat

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Traditional Games > Magic: The Gathering: IANAL

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DariusLikewise posted:

Marvel comes in untapped, so if it resolves they get a look at ending the game even if you're holding a response to it at the time. Stony Silence is an absurd hate card that would be brutally oppressive in what is supposed to be an artifact-friendly standard. Emrakul's built in cost-reduction meant that grindy midrange decks like BG delerium could often just hardcast her after stalling out the game, and she was so powerful that she basically invalidated any other kind of midrange endgame.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
LSV and Chapin in the coverage booth. Match has been great so far as well. Grixis vs UW Control

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
Any reasonable court of law has to balance the harm to Hasbro with the pure joy the thief gave to thousands of internet lawyers, their hearts aflame with posting bliss.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

regardless of whether it ends up being a civil or criminal case, if this guy ever gets caught he is really not gonna enjoy what comes next because a $1000+ fine and losing his job is the best-case scenario

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

What are the odds for opening a foil rare in a pack? Also the odds of opening a foil mythic? They could argue that for the value which would make the value way over $500 if they did the MSRP of a pack. Plus leaking trade secrets and most likely breaking a NDA.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

I am sure that it's combination of losing lsv to coverage and lack of high level results of the pro tour. He has also been at it long enough to want a more steady paycheck. I am sure he had made more from streaming then he ever has from magic.

I would hope that isn't taking a contract if it prevents him from streaming. I hope it's a full employee gig.

I've been told from a pretty reliable source that WotC employees aren't allowed to stream.

TwistedNails posted:

What are the odds for opening a foil rare in a pack? Also the odds of opening a foil mythic? They could argue that for the value which would make the value way over $500 if they did the MSRP of a pack. Plus leaking trade secrets and most likely breaking a NDA.

Something like 2 per box 1 per 3 boxes respectively? Something like that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Has anyone considered that the people who take these pictures for anonymous e-fame can't use their cellphone camera, so they're using some cheap "spy camera" poo poo? I don't know how corporate security works in places like the printing press for a major company, but I imagine they either have their cellphones confiscated (is that legal?) or more likely they have security watching for anyone whipping their cellphones out and snapping a photo.

i worked at a phone company once and bc of having access to customer data like SSN's and stuff my phone had to be placed a locker. idk if that's technically "confiscated" but I imagine the printing place has similar practices

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Weren't there supposed to be Hour of Devastation spoilers today?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BJPaskoff posted:

I've been a janitor at a defense contractor in the past, and the policy there was certain rooms or buildings had a no cell phone policy. You would put your phone in a locker outside of that room or it would be given to security at a check-in station. It's pretty much the same at other places that have a no cell phone policy.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

What are you talking about there are tons of answers to these cards?

No there weren't. At least no good cards that you wanted to be playing that answered them. They are bad deigns for different reasons but they are all in the design error category.

mandatory lesbian posted:

stealing a sheet of cards isn't worth jail time you weirdo. def a fireable offense, and they can probably take them to court for it (and presumably breaking an NDA), but a fine is a perfectly reasonable response

I'm not advocating for jail time for the leakier but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

Weren't there supposed to be Hour of Devastation spoilers today?

I think there's supposed to be a preview segment on the GP Vegas stream, after the swiss rounds end.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This leaker probably stole things and definitely violated an NDA for what appears to be basically internet points.

I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Is the GP Fri/sat instead of Sat/Sun?