Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TFRazorsaw posted:

But then people would see their rose tinted memories of TTYD don't hold up.

Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I replayed it on Dolphin recently and THERE'S SO MUCH BACKTRACKING

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Yes Reggie port Bayonetta 2 so I can play it without my lady watching~

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Nah the game's still good

Chapter 7's beginning is a little much but the rest of the chapter is still great

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

^burtle posted:

Yes Reggie port Bayonetta 2 so I can play it without my lady watching~

Hiding it only makes it weirder. Bayonetta is a hilarious game for someone not really into video games to watch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

I replayed it on Dolphin recently and THERE'S SO MUCH BACKTRACKING

Chapter Four has you go back and forth between the town and castle something like six. Goddamn. Times. Across four screens to get between them each way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You just have to explain Bayonetta is a drag performance. Just instead of the man doing the performance to mock the cultural norms of femininity he designed a computer program to do it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Chapter Four has you go back and forth between the town and castle something like six. Goddamn. Times. Across four screens to get between them each way.

Goooooooooooooooooood daaaaaaaaamn

but anyway it's not that it's a bad game but it's not the flawless masterpiece everyone claims either

sticker star is pretty awful but I don't understand the idea that color splash at least doesn't even deserve to exist next to it

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

But then people would see that Color Splash is actually the best Paper Mario

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yup, and there's a ton of Switch stuff up on Thingiverse just waiting to get hacked up.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Did anyone get the Piss Joycons yet, it seems like a good idea to show your allegiance to piss

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
ARMS is good and I won my first 3 matches online, unranked.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Where. The gently caress. Is Stardew Valley's. release date?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

deadwing posted:

Did anyone get the Piss Joycons yet, it seems like a good idea to show your allegiance to piss

if your piss is yellow green, seek a physician

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

LionArcher posted:

Where. The gently caress. Is Stardew Valley's. release date?

Good question... maybe the only question.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

TFRazorsaw posted:

I played it recently and it seemed just fine to me?

Like TTYD is still easily the king?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

deadwing posted:

The battle system isn't even bad once you realize your goal should be to end encounters in one turn, and the order of enemy placement is essentially a puzzle to be solved. Especially since they give you multiple attacks as plot progression.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

deadwing posted:

Colour Splash is a fun (and funny) inventory-driven adventure game with a superfluous combat system hanging off it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I played it recently and it seemed just fine to me?

Like TTYD is still easily the king?

It's not that so much as I'm just frustrated that it's treated as untouchable.

I actually preferred the original by a wide margin, though it also has flaws of its own.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

it's time to reboot the startropics series.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

TFRazorsaw posted:

Nah just drink some water, clear and copious. If it is brown, THEN see a doctor.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

TFRazorsaw posted:

It still holds up and is still the best one its more that the other ones aren't near as bad as the crazies think. Even Sticker Star is OK. Not exciting or great but it doesn't give you cancer.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

^burtle posted:

Nah just drink some water, clear and copious. If it is brown, THEN see a doctor.

No, if it's brown flush it down. If it's yellow, let it mellow.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Commissar Ken posted:

It still holds up and is still the best one its more that the other ones aren't near as bad as the crazies think. Even Sticker Star is OK. Not exciting or great but it doesn't give you cancer.

Being boring I think is the greatest sin a game can commit, and Sticker Star is perfectly serviceable, but very boring

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got very bored of Sticker Star and stopped playing in Chapter 2. I picked it up again like a year later, and to my surprise it got actually good and interesting in Chapter 3.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If there's another Sticker Star/Color Splash I hope they just drop the battle system and make it a pure adventure game

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Venuz Patrol posted:

it's time to reboot the startropics series.

Is Startropics 2 good? I played the original for the first time on the Wii U VC last year and liked it. When I looked at the second it seemed to have a less cool setting. I was hoping 2 would get released on the 3ds so I could play it traveling but it seems to have never been released there.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Here's another likely unpopular opinion: I actually am pretty on board with the mandate of using Mario's supporting cast over original characters, because I've always wanted to see more from Junior, Kamek, the Koopalings, and it's hard to get excited for a cast you're never really gonna see again.

Like, thanks to Paper Jam, Roy, Wendy, Larry, and Ludwig actually have personalities now. That's a gain as far as I'm concerned.

(also Bowser Jr. has the saddest childhood ever. holy gently caress)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lakbay posted:

If there's another Sticker Star/Color Splash I hope they just drop the battle system and make it a pure adventure game

I think they already said they weren't going back to that type of battle system.

Edit: Found it

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/12/19/color-splash-producer-wants-next-paper-mario-different-gameplay-system/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Me too with the caveat that individual members of different species like toads and goombas should be allowed to have names and outfits

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I saw Trump's doctor about it and he said it was fine. Oddly he then led me into a room with a oneway window on the wall and asked me to pee on a pillow Obama used at the White House? I dunno what kinda test that's for

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Me too with the caveat that individual members of different species like toads and goombas should be allowed to have names and outfits

I can agree with that at least

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Colour Splash is a fun (and funny) inventory-driven adventure game with a superfluous combat system hanging off it.

This was exactly my experience. The combat took too long, it was very samey, and there was TONS of it. There were some very clever and fun non-combat parts (and even some fun combat parts), but it wasn't worth going through tedious battles for me to finish it.

Also the rock + paper + scissors game was complete bullshit. Optional bullshit, but bullshit nonetheless.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

Here's another likely unpopular opinion: I actually am pretty on board with the mandate of using Mario's supporting cast over original characters, because I've always wanted to see more from Junior, Kamek, the Koopalings, and it's hard to get excited for a cast you're never really gonna see again.

Do you never like playing any other RPG? Teaming up with a bunch of random people is the norm for RPGs.

edit: Like I'm not against fleshing out older characters, hell fleshing out characters in general would be a good thing for the Paper Mario games. But whether or not they are new or old doesn't really affect game quality, just pre-release hype and marketing.

Ventana fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 16, 2017

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

Is Startropics 2 good? I played the original for the first time on the Wii U VC last year and liked it. When I looked at the second it seemed to have a less cool setting. I was hoping 2 would get released on the 3ds so I could play it traveling but it seems to have never been released there.

I remember Startropics 2 being really loving difficult. Had to use Game Genie for that game.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Arms has to sit in my car for 8 hours before I can play it :negative:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ventana posted:

Do you never like playing any other RPG? Teaming up with a bunch of random people is the norm for RPGs.

It's not that. I just think that if it's part of an established franchise, why NOT take the time to flesh out characters who really, really need it and use them as party members and villains?

A few original characters are fine but the overwhelming focus on them when they just vanish in the sequels makes it hard to remember anything about them. There's also a fact that ultimately a lot of them just feel... there. The two koopa party members in PM64 and TTYD are especially interchangeable, and in the end I really only think Bobbery, Bow, Goombella, and Vivian made a lasting impression on me.

Heck, Color Splash did more with a single Shy Guy on a train than some of these guys.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zore posted:

ridley iz too big 4 smash.

Baby Ridley.

Problem solved.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The Bloop posted:

Baby Ridley.

Problem solved.

Isn't baby Ridley like a Pokemon? Oh god it can take Ivysaur's moveset!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Consummate Professional posted:

Arms has to sit in my car for 8 hours before I can play it :negative:

You're lucky, some people found out it sucked right after they bought it.

• Locked thread