Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

I would use iCloud calendars but I still sometimes use a PC and web browser to manage some of that stuff and icloud.com is super slow and garbage compared to Google's web-based services.

Yeah when I was in college we sometimes had PC labs and using iCloud was shockingly bad compared to Google's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yeah it's really bad, I can't customize anything, I can't even drop shortcuts to the desktop to it but I only use it cause it syncs my tabs/favs across all my other devices :shrug:

The thing I hate about it most is I can't even have a permanent favorites bar up top, which is always the first thing Chrome disables whenever it has a major update on PC :\

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah when I was in college we sometimes had PC labs and using iCloud was shockingly bad compared to Google's stuff.

It's slow, but I genuinely like the look and typography of the whole iCloud suite. Whereas Google Calendar's web app still looks like a 2006 thing.

I do really wish they would just a) speed up the overall speed of icloud.com and b) let us tie in our own goddamned domains to the mail.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
iCloud calendar works in Win10's calendars app and now works on Alexa. It's one of the only iCloud services I actually use.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

What''s everyone's preferred Adblock? I only am tired of them on Chrome and YouTube specifically. I saw 1Block mentioned a few pages ago but wanted to see some more recent options and what ads get blocked (browser only, apps, YouTube, etc). Thanks :cheers:

this might be more than you're asking for, but you can block ads at the DNS level using using Algo VPN hosted on a $5/mo DigitalOcean VPS, which is seriously awesome for a bunch of reasons. requires a bit of technical knowledge -- you need to know how to use Terminal and follow directions -- but DigitalOcean is really simple to use (especially when compared to the disaster that is AWS).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Unfortunately Safari is still much worse.

The longer I have iOS the more I miss Android

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

dissss posted:

Said only 1 man ever, and he was never heard of again.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dissss posted:

:eyepop:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's rough going the other way too. There is just so much stuff you take for granted if you've been running an OS for years that makes anything different seem obtuse and needlessly confusing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

Do you have any examples? This is an unusual opinion, in my experience.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

dissss posted:

Chrome on android was infuriatingly bad. And my most recent Android was a Pixel, allegedly the sine qua non of the Android Experience. Call me when they get system-level ad blocking that works like at all.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

tuyop posted:

Do you have any examples? This is an unusual opinion, in my experience.

It's not so unusual if you nip on over the the Android thread.

Anyway it's just loads of little things - I don't think it's a good idea to start in this thread as I'd come off overly whiny at things which are different but not necessarily worse on the iOS side.

That said I would like a recommendation on an alarm app which will let me skip the next alarm (perhaps via a notification widget) if such a thing exists.

smr posted:

Chrome on android was infuriatingly bad. And my most recent Android was a Pixel, allegedly the sine qua non of the Android Experience. Call me when they get system-level ad blocking that works like at all.

Personally I don't mind ads on mobile, at least not to the extent I'm willing to give up other stuff (and IMO Chrome on Android was excellent at everything else)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

dissss posted:

I don't think it's a good idea to start in this thread as I'd come off overly whiny at things which are different but not necessarily worse on the iOS side.

These guys are salivating at you trying so they can dig into you with brushed aluminum spoons.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've had a fair share of Android phones and some iPhones (iPhone 4, iPhone 6, iPhone 7+) and I can't complain about Chrome on either platform.

Safari is still good, it's just extensions and bookmark syncing that keep me on Chrome everywhere.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

iOS notifications still suck. It's like, my biggest peeve and they're somehow worse on iOS 11.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

sleepwalkers posted:

iOS notifications still suck. It's like, my biggest peeve and they're somehow worse on iOS 11.

Oh god, how did they make them worse?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Can't believe there's still no notification grouping in 2017

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Weedle posted:

Oh god, how did they make them worse?

The notification drawer is just the lock screen, big-rear end clock and all. And you have to swipe up from roughly the middle of the screen to see "older" notifications.

Why on earth do I need to see a big clock when I literally have to run my finger over a clock to get to the notification drawer? And why do I have to do something more than pull it down to actually see all of my notifications? All Apple had to do was copy Google on this one.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

A question for academics/students: What's your go-to iPad reference manager/PDF annotator? On the desktop, I've been a longtime Zotero user, but just because it's free and the first thing I started using years ago. These days, I'd rather do my PDF reading on the iPad, but none of the apps I've tried have really jumped out to me as the definite go-to app. I've played around with Papers, Papership, Mendeley, PDF Expert, and Liquidtext, which all seem to have their own strengths and weaknesses.

In my experience, Mendeley seems to be the best at actually being able to import a PDF and automatically get all of its reference data correct. It also displays the reference editor side-by-side to the PDF document, so if I need to change something it's pretty easy to do. The reference editor in Papers and Papership take up the whole screen, which is annoying, and Papers' matching feature seems finicky compared to Mendeley. I like the annotation features in PDF Expert and Liquidtext, but I really want an app that can easily organize documents based on their reference details.

I've barely tried any of these apps' other features yet, like their desktop/web features or synchronization. One turn-off for me about Mendeley is the whole social/feed element to it, but I guess I can ignore that if I have to.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I used Mendeley when I was in college and it worked great. The social stuff is totally ignorable, or at least it was as of a couple of years ago. I never really explored any alternatives, though; I just read about Mendeley on some blog and thought it sounded dope.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

tankadillo posted:

A question for academics/students: What's your go-to iPad reference manager/PDF annotator? On the desktop, I've been a longtime Zotero user, but just because it's free and the first thing I started using years ago. These days, I'd rather do my PDF reading on the iPad, but none of the apps I've tried have really jumped out to me as the definite go-to app. I've played around with Papers, Papership, Mendeley, PDF Expert, and Liquidtext, which all seem to have their own strengths and weaknesses.

In my experience, Mendeley seems to be the best at actually being able to import a PDF and automatically get all of its reference data correct. It also displays the reference editor side-by-side to the PDF document, so if I need to change something it's pretty easy to do. The reference editor in Papers and Papership take up the whole screen, which is annoying, and Papers' matching feature seems finicky compared to Mendeley. I like the annotation features in PDF Expert and Liquidtext, but I really want an app that can easily organize documents based on their reference details.

I've barely tried any of these apps' other features yet, like their desktop/web features or synchronization. One turn-off for me about Mendeley is the whole social/feed element to it, but I guess I can ignore that if I have to.

I deal with literally hundreds of PDFs a semester. Every reference manager is annoying in some way, so I just use my own foldering system within Dropbox and keep a separate document with citation information. I know this seems clunky, but most academic databases will give you citation information that you can just copy/paste into your document, and I've found Papers, Zotero, and Mendeley to occasionally pull questionable reference information anyway--like they REALLY suck at specific editions. It also frees you up to use whatever PDF editor you prefer (PDFExpert, PDFPen Pro, or on iPad, PDF Viewer. A lot of my colleagues use Evernote, but I really don't like it for a number of reasons.

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

tankadillo posted:

A question for academics/students: What's your go-to iPad reference manager/PDF annotator?

I’ve tried Papers, Mendeley, and Endnote, and eventually gave up on one-app integration with the iPad. My system’s probably similar to maduin: I have a Dropbox folder called ‘Papers to Read’ where everything pending goes regardless of whether I'm on my laptop or iPad. I read/annotate with Preview (on laptop) or PDF Expert/Goodreader (on iPad). When I’m done, I use the desktop Papers client to import the metadata and automatically rename the file accordingly to “$firstauthor $year $journal - $title”, and it goes into $firstauthor folder, which is also on Dropbox under a main ‘Papers’ folder.

(No, Papers’ matching is not great. I usually manually curate once a month. Also, I believe this only works with an out of date version of the Papers desktop client.)

Generally I’ve had issues with every citation app that tries to manage a PDF database on your iPad. I’ve been toying with Mendeley as a manager just for citations but so far haven’t been impressed, so I copy and paste references for useful things into OneNote.

I used to use Evernote as well when I was reading more printed papers and then scanning them back in, but it’s probably not worth it if you're all digital unless you’re already using Evernote.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Thanks guys. The more I think about it, I think the Dropbox folder with PDF expert is probably the way to go for me too. All the other options seem to create more problems than they solve. This is probably the only part of my iPad workflow that just didn't seem right to me, but I guess PDFs are just always gonna be inherently clunky.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

maduin posted:

I deal with literally hundreds of PDFs a semester. Every reference manager is annoying in some way, so I just use my own foldering system within Dropbox and keep a separate document with citation information. I know this seems clunky, but most academic databases will give you citation information that you can just copy/paste into your document, and I've found Papers, Zotero, and Mendeley to occasionally pull questionable reference information anyway--like they REALLY suck at specific editions. It also frees you up to use whatever PDF editor you prefer (PDFExpert, PDFPen Pro, or on iPad, PDF Viewer. A lot of my colleagues use Evernote, but I really don't like it for a number of reasons.

This is my experience as well. I use Evernote to store a copy of the PDF as well for cross platform tagging. Annotations are done with goodreader and acrobat from a Dropbox folder

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm interested in getting an iPad for reading academic papers (well and for fun as well). Do you do all this with a Pro or normal iPad?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I don't think it really matters, that's hardly demanding usage.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I just upgraded iPads and not everything in Goodreader transferred over. What's the easiest way to get that material off the old iPad to the new one?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm interested in getting an iPad for reading academic papers (well and for fun as well). Do you do all this with a Pro or normal iPad?

I use a mini 2, my wife uses an air 2. Both work great for reading pdfs. I think a TI-83 could manage reading pdfs.

letthemreadprose
May 1, 2012

hadji murad posted:

I just upgraded iPads and not everything in Goodreader transferred over. What's the easiest way to get that material off the old iPad to the new one?

I'd move the files on the old iPad to a Dropbox synced folder, then sync that folder to the new iPad.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I use a 9.7" Pro w/the Apple Pencil, but I used an Air 1 before that. There's obviously a huge difference for handwritten annotations, but otherwise the Air works great. The only other difference I've seen is that the Pro can handle papers with a lot of layered vector images that the Air 1 will choke on, but that's pretty specific to my technical subfield, can't imagine it would be an issue for anyone else.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

smr posted:

No regrets. Windows app is light years ahead of the 1P4 one. The sync is flawless (using with two Win10, one Mac, one iPad, one iPhone, and have used on android too).

The rest of the apps in this space just aren't even close.

What are the advantages/disadvantages over LastPass, out of curiosity?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Celery Jello posted:

What are the advantages/disadvantages over LastPass, out of curiosity?

For me it's that the core developers participate pretty regularly in their support forums and are pretty open about the design and development of 1Password.

They also don't have the track-record of repeated security issues due to poor design practices like LastPass.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

flosofl posted:

For me it's that the core developers participate pretty regularly in their support forums and are pretty open about the design and development of 1Password.

They also don't have the track-record of repeated security issues due to poor design practices like LastPass.

Yeah, I guess it's a get what you pay for situation - LastPass has always felt like a steal at $12/year, so upgrading to triple that is a bit of a jump. The difference is 1Pass hasn't hosed up yet, sounds like.

Thanks, I'll have to keep it in mind for when my current subscription is about to roll over.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I know people love iOS, but working with my Dad it's amazing how many times I have to suggest he buy a third party app to replace an Apple app or workaround it on some level.

Their handling of Photos suggest they know nothing about the people who use their products (the fact that saved images, screenshots, etc show up in the "Camera Roll" is stupid as gently caress), and basically we've all adopted our favorite workaround to never having to open iTunes.

smr posted:

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-android/overview.html

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 22, 2017

smr
Dec 18, 2002

flosofl posted:

It's basically this; 1Password has a better track record, they're pretty transparent in their development process, and their security record is light-years better (so far). And they haven't been bought by scumbags with known-lovely business practices.

It's pricier, but I think the extra money is worth it given what you get. The Win10 app was a bit rough at the start but they update it _constantly_ and I have no qualms with the current version at this point, it's got feature-parity with macOS.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

I know people love iOS, but working with my Dad it's amazing how many times I have to suggest he buy a third party app to replace an Apple app or workaround it on some level.

Their handling of Photos suggest they know nothing about the people who use their products (the fact that saved images, screenshots, etc show up in the "Camera Roll" is stupid as gently caress), and basically we've all adopted our favorite workaround to never having to open iTunes.

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-android/overview.html

Hm; next time I have an Android I'll try this out. They're allegedly building in some kind of ad-blocking into Chrome soon, too, but given Google's core business, who knows how that's gonna actually work in practice...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been using MiniKeePass the past couple months and while it's not integrated at all with iOS, it does store your passwords and doesn't cost a dime.

Can import from dropbox too if you're into that.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

xzzy posted:

I've been using MiniKeePass the past couple months and while it's not integrated at all with iOS, it does store your passwords and doesn't cost a dime.

Can import from dropbox too if you're into that.

KyPass is really good too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MiniKeePass randomly stopped syncing with my Dropbox, so I switched to KyPass and I think it's a better app just in general. Not free, but whatever.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Anyone have a recommendation for an app like Twilight or Flux? Something that limits blue light and can dim the screen for night use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Oryp posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an app like Twilight or Flux? Something that limits blue light and can dim the screen for night use?

Night Shift is built in, if that works?