Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Anyone else remember The Cats' House? If you're gonna go full crazy cat lady (or crazy cat couple in this case) at least make it aesthetically pleasing.

They sold the house in 2013 and the new owners apparently painted it all white and took down the decor and catwalks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Does the carpet match the stair runners?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
My immediate reaction is that those stairs must be carpetted with real human hair, because if you're weird enough to do that then you're almost certainly weird enough to use real hair for it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's probably a weird serial killer trophy thing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does there exist some software for interior design / layout / etc that isn't some lovely web app? I'm looking for a desktop app more like autoCAD or the like, where I can build the geometry of a room and then drop in models of chairs and things.

Homestyler is close, but the web app is a nightmare.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does there exist some software for interior design / layout / etc that isn't some lovely web app? I'm looking for a desktop app more like autoCAD or the like, where I can build the geometry of a room and then drop in models of chairs and things.

Autocad? Revit? Vectorworks? All have huge built-in and downloadable furniture asset libraries.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Took a trip to Ikea and turned a spare room from a former room mate into my new bedroom.

There's a second diamond mirror thing next to that one now.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Prince Reggie K posted:

Took a trip to Ikea and turned a spare room from a former room mate into my new bedroom.

There's a second diamond mirror thing next to that one now.

Please tell me you have a grip mat under the rag rug there. My mom used to have some of those on hardwood floors, and they would slide out from under your feet at any provocation.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Sketchup.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As always: show, don't tell. Should be actual pizza, tacos, and bacon pinned to the wall.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dont doxx Buckley

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there a site out there with good references for different styles of interior design​? Sometimes I dream about the house I will hopefully have in 10 years up in the mountains. I've been thinking more Swiss chalet than log cabin, but there are several different styles I think look cool. The thing is I don't know what they are called so I can't Google them.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Please tell me you have a grip mat under the rag rug there. My mom used to have some of those on hardwood floors, and they would slide out from under your feet at any provocation.

Hell yeah I got a grip mat!

Prince Reggie K fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 20, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't have any grip mats, this makes it hilarious when my friend brings her hyper little bulldog over.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

PRADA SLUT posted:

Sketchup is free and has a pretty good library of objects. It's not the most user friendly, but if you're expecting "autocad" software then it might be exactly what you're looking for.

My brother in law uses the home designer suite software and it's pretty cool if you don't mind paying for something. Looks like they have just an interiors version as well, but if you were going to spend $80 you might as well spend $100 and get the suite. There is a trial version as well.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
For blog recommendations, I enjoy best little apartment on tumblr. It leans a little more boho and the focus on apartments means you can get a lot of ideas about what to do with small spaces and interiors you have limited ability to change.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Haifisch posted:

I found a wallpaper just for you:

Late, but, I'm the cavernous space with loving baseboard heaters. :retrogames:

(Yeah yeah I know there's also one of those stupid gas fireplaces but there also appears to be snow outside so....)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have a doorway between what will be a large open kitchen diner and a moderate "snug" living room with a fire. I need a proper door to keep the heat in and the kitchen smells out. Unfortunately the opening is 1100mm which is too wide for the largest size of the type of door I'm buying and too small for two of the smallest.

One option is to stud out the difference and reduce it to a normal opening, but I'm casting around for better ways to make use of it since it's there, e.g. filling the sides with insulated glass.

Thoughts?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Arachnamus posted:

I have a doorway between what will be a large open kitchen diner and a moderate "snug" living room with a fire. I need a proper door to keep the heat in and the kitchen smells out. Unfortunately the opening is 1100mm which is too wide for the largest size of the type of door I'm buying and too small for two of the smallest.

One option is to stud out the difference and reduce it to a normal opening, but I'm casting around for better ways to make use of it since it's there, e.g. filling the sides with insulated glass.

Thoughts?

You could get a custom door made to fit the space, but before you do that check the path the door will move through - will your snug living room start to feel cramped if you have to leave space for an oversized door to swing around?

Sliding barn doors are trendy and easy to adapt to unusual sizes, but echhhhhhhhhh... Right up there with shiplap paneling and vessel sinks for me.

What about studding it out to a normal door width and then putting a skinny built-in bookcase in the new wall space? It could be books on one side and spices on the other.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Arachnamus posted:

Thoughts?

What's in the walls? Could you do a pair of pocket doors?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You could get a custom door made to fit the space

I spoke with the chippy that's doing my stairs and that's too expensive an option. I'm starting to drain the last of my budget so I can't drop too much on a solution.

Sliding barn doors are trendy and easy to adapt to unusual sizes, but echhhhhhhhhh... Right up there with shiplap paneling and vessel sinks for me.

Agreed and also a terrible seal.

What about studding it out to a normal door width and then putting a skinny built-in bookcase in the new wall space? It could be books on one side and spices on the other.

"What if I put a bookcase there" has been my approach to many odd nooks and crannies in this rebuild and the reality is I just don't have that many books.

That said, plasterboarding on the living room side and dedicating the full depth of the shelves to the kitchen is not a bad idea. Edit: It's a 300mm thick wall.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 22, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

whalesteak posted:

What's in the walls? Could you do a pair of pocket doors?

There is technically a pocket because the wall is brick and used to be external so it has a cavity, but when I floated the idea with the builder he was very reticent. I think it would be a shitload of hassle if possible at all given the age of the brickwork.

Edit: plus we'd need to cut the 100 year old thick iron wall ties and stabilise the wall and aaaah.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

I hadn't realized this was a thing but I may have to do a sliding barn door now...I have a space that really needs a sometimes door option and a pocket would be severely impractical.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ulmont posted:

I hadn't realized this was a thing but I may have to do a sliding barn door now...I have a space that really needs a sometimes door option and a pocket would be severely impractical.

There are non-terrible ones that are less barn-y

I GUESS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Could you somehow make that into one of those Mad Magazine folding pictures?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

Could you somehow make that into one of those Mad Magazine folding pictures?

The Al-ighty Ollar?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Is there a way to, say, put a gasket on a barn door like that to make it seal better? And not look like shite?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Iv'e seen some sliding barn doors like that in newer condos that were not terrible. They were generally just separating the main living space from the "den" and worked fine for that.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Arachnamus posted:

Thoughts?

That's an extremely odd size, unfortunately. French doors won't naturally come in those dimensions and would need modification, but they'd be my first choice since they will also be the least obtrusive when open. It looks like they can be made, but will probably cost a lot.

You could do a normal door with a side-light, but it looks like that's expensive, too.

I'd agree that you're probably best off closing it off to the largest standard door that can fit, cost-wise, but either way it's going to be expensive.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tricky Ed posted:

I'd agree that you're probably best off closing it off to the largest standard door that can fit, cost-wise, but either way it's going to be expensive.

Expensive is relative in this project, we've already rebuilt several brick walls in stud for the sake of convenience, but a £1200 carpenter job on a custom door isn't workable. The £500 ones you linked are closer to doable. I wouldn't mind carrying some more light through that side of the house.

I'll have a chat with the builder on monday about building it out as kitchen larder shelving and see what the cost would be compared to that supplier.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
The obvious answer is a bead curtain.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How about a better kitchen fan to keep the cooking smells out of the living room?

Our wide doorway from the hall into our living/dining/kitchen area is a 3-panel slider. It gives us a wide entryway without the fuss of a pocket door or the gaping breezes of an outset/barn door.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Have you considered an accordion door? :razz: I haven't seen them used residentially since the 70s, but that just means they are due to come back in style any day now, right? 48" is a standard size, and it should be easy enough to downsize to your 43" space from there just by shortening the track.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HomeStyles-Plaza-Vinyl-Accordion-Door-48-x-96-Pecan/22388174
Aww, yiss, home decor by walmart. Envy of the trailer park.

There are also less ugly versions.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Arachnamus posted:

Expensive is relative in this project, we've already rebuilt several brick walls in stud for the sake of convenience, but a £1200 carpenter job on a custom door isn't workable. The £500 ones you linked are closer to doable. I wouldn't mind carrying some more light through that side of the house.

I'll have a chat with the builder on monday about building it out as kitchen larder shelving and see what the cost would be compared to that supplier.

Yeah bespoke double doors might be your best option. Although 1100mm is a standard size for shower doors, so you could get creative and use that!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

There are also less ugly versions.

You should post some if they exist.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

How about a better kitchen fan to keep the cooking smells out of the living room?

The kitchen smells are secondary to heat retention, really, given that the kitchen area is open to the main house hallway anyway.

That is not a terrible looking door, I'll add that idea to the mix.

Youth Decay posted:

Although 1100mm is a standard size for shower doors, so you could get creative and use that!

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

The Dave posted:

You should post some if they exist.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There are non-terrible ones that are less barn-y

I GUESS.
All of these look pretty bad imo. Not the doors themselves, but they kept the standard door trim which clashes with the barn door and makes it look like the door was just tacked on like an afterthought.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Collateral Damage posted:

All of these look pretty bad imo. Not the doors themselves, but they kept the standard door trim which clashes with the barn door and makes it look like the door was just tacked on like an afterthought.

Yeah that's a big reason why I hate barn doors. They work a little better in industrial spaces that don't have that kind of trim, but they're still dumb even there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The opening I'm dealing with had extremely lovely versions on previously. The lack of trim did not save them this time.