Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, but he wasn't appointed by Congress. If Trump wants to exercise dictatorial control over the DoJ, the odds are that Congress won't check him.
We already had one dude try and take them out. I think them doing that would make even more people do it, I personally believe the only thing holding a good number of people back is the investigation going along as the normal process of things, and anyone found guilty by it will be held accountable by the law. But so flagrantly ending the investigation with zero repercussions would likely take the bucket of crazies that's got a small leak in it, and just upend the loving thing, especially with multiple notable republicans on record telling him not to fire mueller.

It sure would be Interesting, though. If nothing else, these last few months have been Interesting.

dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
The appointment of Mueller is what took the heat off Congress to act. If he fires Mueller there will be a lot of pressure to do something. Of course it's Republicans so that doesn't mean they'll actually do something but it's not the same as the Comey firing.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

HappyHippo posted:

The appointment of Mueller is what took the heat off Congress to act. If he fires Mueller there will be a lot of pressure to do something. Of course it's Republicans so that doesn't mean they'll actually do something but it's not the same as the Comey firing.

Hey would just form an independent commission led by Alex Jones.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LegendaryFrog posted:

Hey everyone, tomorrow is my Birthday! - President of the United States

Wait. Trump's birthday was two days ago. Is he unstuck in time?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm not convinced you can even rely on the GOP to be 'rationally' trying to save their jobs after 2016. They think they're invincible now, that they can cheat enough to overcome any level of public hatred.

They're probably wrong, but it will affect their calculus.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

And I'm sure if Mueller was fired another special council would be appointed, without a guarantee that they would be as competent, trustworthy, etc. There's a risk it would derail the investigation, which isn't worth the tiny chance that it would motivate Republicans in congress to do anything.

I think we could see a Special Prosecutor law passed if only to try and shield the rest of the GOP from the fallout. Appoint some Bush hack who is loyal to the GOP not Trump and make sure that the Trump take down goes to the maximum benefit of Republicans.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

That's great. So what does firing Meuller get?

An impeachment mandate for the Democrats in 2018, and 18 months of calling Trump a loving crook.

If you think the leaks are bad now, you would not believe the leaks after he fired Mueller. We'll witness the birth of the next Deepthroat/Woodward.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Flip Yr Wig posted:

If he tries to pull another massacre, he will probably have to go through enough US attorneys that it would be an actual, ongoing story. Live updates, chyrons and all. That'll be loving surreal.

I hadn't considered this aspect, but yeah, we would be getting news pushes each time someone was fired. That would be hilarious. I'm sure we would have a betting pool on how many he would to fire before he found someone who would comply

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

If the Trump Hearings means they can't choke poor and minority people by shoving lignite down their gullet while cutting food stamps to pay for it, that will finally be unacceptable.

Now that I think of it, given how much cover the current round of hearings is giving them on the AHCA, it might actually create an incentive for them set up a special investigator/counsel.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HappyHippo posted:

the pressure would be "literally having to have bodyguards 24/7 because people will totally want to kill you, for real this time" like the baseball nutjob. I think that dude probably put a bit of self-preservation into them, I would hope at least, so that they don't do something democracy-ending like that. They've done some bad poo poo so far, for sure, but I don't think anything would compare to not acting if trump fired mueller.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I can only get so hard.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

business hammocks posted:

Rural white tough guy culture is extremely performative and extremely preposterous to anyone not steeped in it. That Trump acts so much like one of them is pure coincidence, obviously, but there might be something similar in the pure desperation of his masculine posturing.

There is a large aspect of "All Hat and No Cattle" to what you call rural white tough guy culture, because the less that there is an actual economic and social basis to rural culture, the more people seem to feel a need to put on a uniform and repeat the bonafides of how rural they are. This is especially true for the places that swung heaviest to Trump, where farming or logging or etc. are not predominant industries. (For example, I believe the most farming-intensive county in Ohio has 6% of its population as farmers).

Which just goes in the entire category of all of this administration being a "reality" show, Trump and his supporters like to play dress up with toughness, while having no experience with what those things really mean.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

An impeachment mandate for the Democrats in 2018, and 18 months of calling Trump a loving crook.

If you think the leaks are bad now, you would not believe the leaks after he fired Mueller. We'll witness the birth of the next Deepthroat/Woodward.

Hmmm this seems like a really bad deal, I can get ALL of that right now.

Like,you get that he is under a criminal investigation right now by a special prosecutor, right? There is no higher procedural peak to be reached.

Democrats can't even win enough seats in the Senate to have enough to convict on an impeachment. You're delusional if you think anything short of an investigation finding could trigger impeachment, the only way Trump gets put out is through Meuller.

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 16, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

All he had to do was surround himself with smart people and rubber stamp poo poo. What a spectacular cheeto fuckup.

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I've been on radio silence for the past week or two, did James Hodgkinson really have the Republicans shook? Like that just ain't gonna be a one time incident, there's probably going to be a lot more to come especially once they pass that disastrous healthcare bill or whatever harmful poo poo.

I'm telling you there is going to be so much social pressure built up in the next few years that I can't even imagine the kind of bursts of violence that will come up. Ferguson eat your heart out.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Well... I don't see how they get Murkowski's vote. If Rand Paul really is hopelessly gone as well, then they can't lose anyone else, and they had been reportedly pessimistic about keeping Mike Lee. Then of course there's Collins and Heller.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/875795096284868608

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Hmmm this seems like a really bad deal, I can get ALL of that right now.

Like,you get that he is under a criminal investigation right now by a special prosecutor, right? There is no higher procedural peak to be reached.

True, but an investigation isn't an impeachment mandate. I don't think the republicans will ever impeach him, personally. But if he fires Mueller and quashes these investigations, the Democrats will absolutely ride the public outrage all the way to Washington.

As bad as I think America has become, I can not trick myself into believing the American people would put up with that kind of corruption.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Checks out.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

Well... I don't see how they get Murkowski's vote. If Rand Paul really is hopelessly gone as well, then they can't lose anyone else, and they had been reportedly pessimistic about keeping Mike Lee. Then of course there's Collins and Heller.

https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/875795096284868608

Their desperation to get this passed despite all this is really making me think that we might be in the final couple weeks before they lose their ability to pass legislation at all for some reason.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

True, but an investigation isn't an impeachment mandate. I don't think the republicans will ever impeach him, personally. But if he fires Mueller and quashes these investigations, the Democrats will absolutely ride the public outrage all the way to Washington.

As bad as I think America has become, I can not trick myself into believing the American people would put up with that kind of corruption.

That's fine but Democrats impeaching in the House doesn't mean poo poo. They won't have the votes to convict without Meuller, and if you fire Meuller, guess what.

An impeachment without the third-party proof is just begging to backfire.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump isn't getting impeached. What matters from this investigation is for Republicans to get so deeply unpopular throughout the nation that they lose in a wave election in 2018. And we're well on the way already. In the meantime we can hope that awful pieces around Trump ala Sessions get cast off as the Idiot King lashes out at those around him desperate to find a new scapegoat.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump isn't getting impeached. What matters from this investigation is for Republicans to get so deeply unpopular throughout the nation that they lose in a wave election in 2018. And we're well on the way already. In the meantime we can hope that awful pieces around Trump ala Sessions get cast off as the Idiot King lashes out at those around him desperate to find a new scapegoat.

They'd absolutely impeach him if they thought it would be the only thing they could do to save their own asses.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I've never seen a picture of Trump's lawyer but I can't stop imagining him as the cocky salesman from Die Hard that gets shot in the face by Hans Gruber. Thats the level I expect from Trump.

"Donnie, bubby, I'm your white knight."

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hmmmm yes, good point Shimarra. I have also concluded that:
A. Nothing matters
B. Trump has done no wrong

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Boon posted:

That's fine but Democrats impeaching in the House doesn't mean poo poo. They won't have the votes to convict without Meuller, and if you fire Meuller, guess what.

Well, if they impeach and the Senate fails to remove him, then whoever is up in 2020 in states that aren't dark red will have to explain their support for Trump. The Clinton impeachment backfired on the GOP because the voters were solidly behind the president, but they won't be in this case. Its not much, but thats got to cost them some votes in 2020.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I love how Trump is systematically rolling back all of Obama's policy changes. So much for the neoliberal ocean liner LMAO

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I'm ok with Rosenstein not recusing himself at this time because he hasn't been called as a witness. He's not affecting the investingation. What he is doing, however, is acting as a honeypot for Trump. Trump wants to fire Mueller so badly but he can't without firing Rosenstein. That would look really bad.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Firing Mueller is Obstruction of Justice, period. Firing Mueller is all they need to impeach him, and I don't think it would backfire at all.

No 3rd part party evidence without Mueller, you say? Well, if he fires Mueller, then there's no 3rd party evidence! It seems like a silver bullet to the mentally inept, I guess, but it's actually a guarantee for an obstruction charge.

"You do not fire the man who is investigating you."

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Your Taint posted:

They'd absolutely impeach him if they thought it would be the only thing they could do to save their own asses.

I highly doubt this scenario ever comes about. If anything, I don't doubt many Rs in Congress think alienating Trump's base would harm their re-election bids more than staying the current course.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rigel posted:

Well, if they impeach and the Senate fails to remove him, then whoever is up in 2020 in states that aren't dark red will have to explain their support for Trump. The Clinton impeachment backfired on the GOP because the voters were solidly behind the president, but they won't be in this case. Its not much, but thats got to cost them some votes in 2020.

This is going to happen anyway. The only thing that prevented this previously was 9/11 just more than a year before voting. The deep unpopularity is impressive and shows no signs of abating because it would require Trump to literally not be himself, and that's not possible.

Planning for a 9/11 type event is kind of untenable

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean we've seen Republicans grow increasingly crazy, evil, and cowardly over the years. They are not acting rationally and haven't been for awhile.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

lol at anyone still on the 'nothing matters' train. Don't let reality rain on your pessimism parade, I guess?

Trump also can't fire Mueller - he'd have to have the acting AG do it. As several people have pointed out, he'd likely need to go several people down the line to find someone willing to die on that hill, and IF that somehow happens, I assume the IC deepstate floodgates shall floweth forth and he's done anyway.

I think we're very firmly in the middle of Things Mattering territory, and Trump's increased flailing (because he literally can't help himself) will only tighten the snares.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I pray for some big breaking news story to drop whenever this thread starts eating itself.

We've had this same argument every day for the last 3 weeks.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

Firing Mueller is Obstruction of Justice, period. Firing Mueller is all they need to impeach him, and I don't think it would backfire at all.

No 3rd part party evidence without Mueller, you say? Well, if he fires Mueller, then there's no 3rd party evidence! It seems like a silver bullet to the mentally inept, I guess, but it's actually a guarantee for an obstruction charge.

"You do not fire the man who is investigating you."

Wonderful! Now if only we can get someone to make the obstruc... oh he's fired.

Looks like we'll need the GOP to get on boar... oh they allowed it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Today's 202 is great. Please read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.2949ab0616ee

quote:

Marines Corps veterans don’t scare easily. Mueller, 72, earned a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star with Valor for his gallantry in Vietnam before devoting most of the rest of his life to public service. Trump, 71, avoided military service by claiming a medical deferment for “heel spurs,” and he’s said that his “personal Vietnam” was avoiding sexually-transmitted diseases while sleeping around in New York. “I feel like a great and very brave solider," the president once told Howard Stern.

:lol:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Wonderful! Now if only we can get someone to make the obstruc... oh he's fired.

Looks like we'll need the GOP to get on boar... oh they allowed it.

Is that what I said was gonna happen?

Chilichimp posted:

Chilichimp posted:

edit:

Mueller being fired is obstruction and the article of impeachment filed by the House of Reps would cite that and that alone as proof.

Firing the man who is engaged in an active criminal investigation of you is obstruction and just firing him is a crime.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 16, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

All he had to do was surround himself with smart people and rubber stamp poo poo. What a spectacular cheeto fuckup.

His ego wont allow him to hire people better than him(not that there's such a thing, after all his brain is so best and big)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I think Boon is being sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Planning for a 9/11 type event is kind of untenable

Another 9/11, rally around the flag situation was kind of the worst nightmare a couple months ago. At this point, though, it's becoming clear how much the Trump administration would gently caress up their emergency response. I suspect it may well hurt his numbers even more.

• Locked thread