Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

lol what stupid "logic"

This is complete nonsense fyi, at lease for any criminal trial in the US.

gently caress, yeah, I was spouting straight up nonsense. gently caress, and I believed that forever, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

i like that posted:

I've had similar things happen to me like that guy has (I'm a woman) and the answer is these people are so insane and horrendous your emotional reserves are exhausted you are probably traumatized, you just want to move on with your life. Going the civil route to sue for defamation or what have you - if you have tens of thousands to spare for a lawyer - is actually something these people would enjoy because they are vampires that feed off attention (narcissistic supply) and chaos and your misery, and you would have no guarantee it would work. You generally have to move and change your name because they will keep stalking you as that guy has attested.

Wow, you can be sensible sometimes, probably because you've been hit with reality in this case

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Trunko posted:

rich people get away with pretty much everything and always have and always will
dolla dolla bill, y'all

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah, Facebook isn't within police jurisdiction. They can submit stuff as evidence sometimes but the cops I talked to were like "you could feasibly sue her for libel but we can't do poo poo about someone saying hosed up poo poo about you online" but my ex, like me, is a working class hippie. She's a nurse, the most I could expect from pursuing her legally is getting her to admit she's a big fat liar in court, but that literally just feeds her narrative of "he's a master manipulator and I'm being victim blamed and second guessed because patriarchy."

She took her most recent post down when I threatened legal action, but the damage is done, now none of the friends I made when I moved here a month ago return my calls or texts anymore because they saw my name next to the word "rapist" and she got like 3-4 people to post in the comments section "yeah totally this guy IS a rapist, can confirm" and I'm done, and my only legal recourse is spend thousands of dollars I don't have to pursue someone with no money and get them to admit something they can effortlessly publicly retract without any issue. My only option is literally just work here until I save up to move even farther away and not ever use my original Facebook again.

And again, I'm saying this who 100% believes that, in general, the system is rigged way harder against women, but I am just experiencing the perfect storm of "totally and completely hosed by rape culture and witch hunt narratives and people desperately wanting to be a participant in mob justice."

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Bust Rodd posted:

And again, I'm saying this who 100% believes that, in general, the system is rigged way harder against women, but I am just experiencing the perfect storm of "totally and completely hosed by rape culture and witch hunt narratives and people desperately wanting to be a participant in mob justice."

It's not.

And the fact you're getting slayed and still can't see that amazes me.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Deer posted:

So it's not false rape accusations that are the problem, it's crazy people trying to ruin your life?

Crazy people love to use the legal system against you. Men are more likely to be taken seriously and have their stories believed than women however -- there are so many more rapists that get away with it than innocent men found guilty for a rape that never happened. The legal system sucks rear end and people need to stop pretending that courts are infallible and that there isn't biases since there are

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Cops are lazy assholes who will often say stuff like that to avoid more work for themselves. Sorry I know some good cops but is what it is. Don't take legal advice from cops.

The thing is if you have a court order against her then she either stops, meaning you can now rebuild your life without worrying about her crashing it all down again, or she goes further and further into the legal/court pit until she ends up in prison. You can also reach out to old friends and say "hey this was all a total lie btw and I have a testimony and court order stating as much" and maybe get some of them back.

quote:

My only option is literally just work here until I save up to move even farther away and not ever use my original Facebook again.

It's a digital age. "Even farther away" is probably a foreign country halfway around the globe and it takes no effort on her part to post the same poo poo again once she finds you. You should consider going to court. Yeah she'll "like it" or whatever but you'll come out of it with a restraining order at the least.

The real issue is $$$. If you had $$$ you could bury her and make her go away forever and not have to worry about it again.

e:

quote:

Yeah, Facebook isn't within police jurisdiction.

and, based on what? People have been arrested and convicted for stuff they've posted on FB for sure. Don't just take a cop's word talk to an actual lawyer.

COMRADES fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 16, 2017

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, Facebook isn't within police jurisdiction. They can submit stuff as evidence sometimes but the cops I talked to were like "you could feasibly sue her for libel but we can't do poo poo about someone saying hosed up poo poo about you online" but my ex, like me, is a working class hippie. She's a nurse, the most I could expect from pursuing her legally is getting her to admit she's a big fat liar in court, but that literally just feeds her narrative of "he's a master manipulator and I'm being victim blamed and second guessed because patriarchy."

She took her most recent post down when I threatened legal action, but the damage is done, now none of the friends I made when I moved here a month ago return my calls or texts anymore because they saw my name next to the word "rapist" and she got like 3-4 people to post in the comments section "yeah totally this guy IS a rapist, can confirm" and I'm done, and my only legal recourse is spend thousands of dollars I don't have to pursue someone with no money and get them to admit something they can effortlessly publicly retract without any issue. My only option is literally just work here until I save up to move even farther away and not ever use my original Facebook again.

BRB buying her an sa account

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

i like that posted:

there are so many more rapists that get away with it than innocent men found guilty for a rape that never happened.

This is literally every crime right

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

i like that posted:

there are so many more rapists that get away with it than innocent men found guilty for a rape that never happened.

Thats literally every single crime and pretty much every society has decided its better this way to prevent governmental abuse.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
So many murderers get away with it, I think that accusing someone of murder should be enough

If some innocent guys go to jail, well thats the cost of it

f_c_
Oct 27, 2007

This poo poo is tearing me up. I dont know who i hate more, women or blacks?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In general our legal system is structured around the idea that "1 innocent person going to prison is worse than 10 guilty people going free" and in general I think that's probably a good thing :shrug:

I think a huge harm is people not reporting rape, or convincing others not to for whatever reason. I mean yeah alright years after the fact is pointless sure but if it is the next morning and you're going "well, the cops probably won't do anything then people on campus will think you're a slut" then gently caress you.

Yeah the cops can drag their feet and yeah poo poo isn't fair always but if you're not even reporting it then for sure absolutely nothing will happen and that dude will probably go on to rape others as well.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

f_c_ posted:

This poo poo is tearing me up. I dont know who i hate more, women or blacks?

Start with yourself.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Deer posted:

So it's not false rape accusations that are the problem, it's crazy people trying to ruin your life?

This is absolutely correct. I think it's the bigger problem in our society today is this whole "guilty no matter what" idea when anyone accuses anyone of anything.

If you make an accusation and it proves to be false you should get the same punishment as the crime you accused the innocent person of. Make a false rape accusation? You get to go to prison.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yug posted:

This is absolutely correct. I think it's the bigger problem in our society today is this whole "guilty no matter what" idea when anyone accuses anyone of anything.

If you make an accusation and it proves to be false you should get the same punishment as the crime you accused the innocent person of. Make a false rape accusation? You get to go to prison.

We also need to make a clear distinction between "false accusation" and "was not convicted" though.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

We also need to make a clear distinction between "false accusation" and "was not convicted" though.

Sure, of course. But if there's no conviction then an investigation and trial into false accusation needs to begin immediately.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the people who get away with murder outnumber the ones who get away with rape. You two talk about things you don't know anything about and don't bring any humor or insight to the forums everyone would prefer if you went back to rubbing your bussies together and drinking the froth in your spirit cooking illuminati rituals than posting here and that's a FaCTT

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
No, that's too far. People are discouraged enough from reporting rape already without having to worry that a failure to convict will result in an automatic trial for them too.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

COMRADES posted:

In general our legal system is structured around the idea that "1 innocent person going to prison is worse than 10 guilty people going free" and in general I think that's probably a good thing :shrug:

I think a huge harm is people not reporting rape, or convincing others not to for whatever reason. I mean yeah alright years after the fact is pointless sure but if it is the next morning and you're going "well, the cops probably won't do anything then people on campus will think you're a slut" then gently caress you.

Yeah the cops can drag their feet and yeah poo poo isn't fair always but if you're not even reporting it then for sure absolutely nothing will happen and that dude will probably go on to rape others as well.

the argument should probably be specifically about how easy or difficult it is to convict a rapist because from a further perspective it would be pretty hard to argue that america, home to more prisoners than ancient rome or any nation on earth since then, is not good at finding people guilty of crimes

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fruit on the bottom posted:

No, that's too far. People are discouraged enough from reporting rape already without having to worry that a failure to convict will result in an automatic trial for them too.

Lol "discouraged" are you loving kidding me? Society celebrates and uplifts the victim and showers them with praise and attention. We've literally built a culture that encourages false accusations.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

extra stout posted:

the argument should probably be specifically about how easy or difficult it is to convict a rapist because from a further perspective it would be pretty hard to argue that america, home to more prisoners than ancient rome or any nation on earth since then, is not good at finding people guilty of crimes

It's pretty easy to convict people of drug possession when you find them possessing drugs.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

i like that posted:

Yeah the people who get away with murder outnumber the ones who get away with rape. You two talk about things you don't know anything about and don't bring any humor or insight to the forums everyone would prefer if you went back to rubbing your bussies together and drinking the froth in your spirit cooking illuminati rituals than posting here and that's a FaCTT

So it's a numbers game then?

What exactly are you saying?

Besides "I don't care how many innocent men suffer, rape must be punished first and foremost"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yug posted:

Lol "discouraged" are you loving kidding me? Society celebrates and uplifts the victim and showers them with praise and attention. We've literally built a culture that encourages false accusations.

Oh right, I forgot that you're a moron.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
He's right though. Women go around claiming that they're all victims of rape, 1/4 women have been raped, they're all victims or whatever

If there was shame in being a victim, victimhood wouldn't be idolized

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The media worshiped that crazy girl who dragged a bed around her wherever she went, face it we give these attention whores all they crave and it's hurting innocent people.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Yug posted:

The media worshiped that crazy girl who dragged a bed around her wherever she went, face it we give these attention whores all they crave and it's hurting innocent people.

It's how witch hunts work. The more accusations and victims that come forward, the more legitimate it looks, then more come forward, goal posts get moved

It's a spiral towards madness

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

He's right though. Women go around claiming that they're all victims of rape, 1/4 women have been raped, they're all victims or whatever

What it really comes down to is responsibility. If I rubbed myself with raw meat and jumped into a pit of great whites, should I blame "shark culture" for the inevitable result?

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot
Truly the first line of defense for anything is : Prevention.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

its not really idolization, its just a radical departure from what used to happen to rape victims i.e. they would quietly disappear while the rapist lives the rest of their lives in comfort

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
These problems happen because of drugs, alcohol, and allowing young men and women to mix freely without supervision.

I think you'll find that decadent liberal rape culture is a cancer, and Islam is the answer

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

CharlestonJew posted:

its not really idolization, its just a radical departure from what used to happen to rape victims i.e. they would quietly disappear while the rapist lives the rest of their lives in comfort

Yes, now they are showered with attention and support and sympathy, and made to be seen as brave

Leading unscrupulous women to play that role with falsities

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Yug posted:

What it really comes down to is responsibility. If I rubbed myself with raw meat and jumped into a pit of great whites, should I blame "shark culture" for the inevitable result?

the suggestion that men sexually assault women the same way sharks eat meat says less about men women or sharks than it does about you

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Yes, now they are showered with attention and support and sympathy, and made to be seen as brave

Leading unscrupulous women to play that role with falsities

its lovely but imo it's a marked improvement over "oh you were raped? guess you shouldnt have been wearing that dress then, what were you thinking"

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Truly the first line of defense for anything is : Prevention.

That's it exactly. If you actually care about making a difference, teach women some basic common sense when it comes to social interactions. Then we can safely ignore the attention sponges.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Yug posted:

If you really believe this, then rules to intelligently segregate women from men and to enforce modesty would be the only logical solution.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

CharlestonJew posted:

its lovely but imo it's a marked improvement over "oh you were raped? guess you shouldnt have been wearing that dress then, what were you thinking"

Improvement? Now it's "She said you raped her. You're branded as a rapist. You're getting kicked out of school. Good luck with the rest of your life, with social media and whatever"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

Improvement? Now it's "She said you raped her. You're branded as a rapist. You're getting kicked out of school. Good luck with the rest of your life, with social media and whatever"

If he had not had premarital sex, and had not gone on dates unless accompanied by her father or brothers, then this never would have happened. I'm not saying he did anything wrong, but I'm just putting that out there.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

If you really believe this, then rules to intelligently segregate women from men and to enforce modesty would be the only logical solution.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

If you had not had premarital sex, and had not gone on dates unless accompanied by her father or brothers, then this never would have happened. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, but I'm just putting that out there.

Correct. They did it right in the old days. Chaperoned dates. Marriages. Respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spunky Psycho Ho posted:

yeah still an improvement in my eyes. like its not a great thing by any means but I think its better than rape victims being told "lol what a slut"

• Locked thread