Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I love this thread a lot but it definitely has a reactionary thing going on with WWII german military gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah sorry we're major nerds who've spent years putting up with that smug poo poo and we lash out.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I read a book by a self proclaimed expert on the Eastern Front who cited no Russian sources and spent about 80% of his description about a certain battle gushing about the "legendary and feared 88" that could knock out any tank at 3 km.

There was also a lot of colourful descriptions of Soviet casualties ("piles of corpses", "burning wrecks littering the battlefield", etc), whereas German casualties would be given as a dry number, if at all.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah, sorry, the Panther and Tiger weren't the BEST TANK EVER but they also weren't actually dumpster fires (panther was a train fire instead heyoo) but the pop-culture consensus, for years, was that panther and tiger were the BEST TANK EVER. It gets a bit grating.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Those tanks are just beautiful metaphors for German WW2 planning in general.

I posted long excerpts from a book about Barbarossa before and how utterly disastrous it was for the Germans despite utterly astounding Russian casualties, particularly since (a) Germans could afford virtually no personnel losses since they'd already fully stretched out their prime war-aged youth in 1941 and (b) they totally destroyed virtually all of their mobile forces and logistics arms just getting to the periphery of Moscow.

Almost every truck, horse and tank they had was lost getting there. You can get pretty far with a shoestring of tanks tied together with tape if you're willing to cannibalise whole armoured divisons' equipment to move the front 25 miles.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 15, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
German tanks were ahead where it really counted for getting approved by the Fuhrer over rival projects, and wanked over post-war - they looked good.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm up to kursk in Ivan's war and I have a few thoughts

- I knew casualties for the red army were bad, but the scale is astounding. Something like 300k of the 400k tank crewmen deployed in the war died, and that's somehow still better than the infantry fared. It's criminal how little we learned about the eastern front in school in America.

- the author seems to toe the line with wehraboo status here and there. Her opinion of the panther and tiger were a little higher than the thread-approved attitude, and her opinion of German military capabilities overall is a little more glowing than I'm comfortable with (never approving of them ideologically of course, just the military capabilities). It doesn't happen often, but often enough to lift an eyebrow after following this thread

Here's something you have to understand about historians: they tend to be true experts in one field, professionally competent in related ones, aware of the major consensuses in tangentially related ones, and anywhere from OK to terrible at things that have no connection to what they do (so, a German historian on pre-colonial Africa, for example). She's writing a book about the soviet experience of being a front line soldier, and I'm going to hazard a guess that that's where her professional competency lies. For the rest of it (for example, assessment of the quality of military equipment) she's going to be going off of what she finds in the secondary literature. It's not uncommon at all for people who are experts in one area to get really, really exasperated when someone writing on another subject strays into their patch and fucks something up.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Hogge Wild posted:

i didn't know that i had a calliope

:butt::gas:

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

The Panzer 4 long barrel versions will always be the WW2 tanks of my heart. They just looks more tanklike than any other tank of the era in a weird way to me. But I'm a sucker for boxy shapes in military equipment.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The PzIV went impressively far, considering the role that it was designed for. It's a real "greatness thrust upon you" moment.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Panzer IVs are cool, but I still prefer Stugs for "favorite German AFV" :shobon:.

Anybody know why the Panzer IV never got a cat nickname?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

OwlFancier posted:

This picture makes me unreasonably giggly.

fallout new vegas?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Davin Valkri posted:

Panzer IVs are cool, but I still prefer Stugs for "favorite German AFV" :shobon:.

Supposedly it picked up the nickname of Sardinenbüchse or "Sardine Tin" in reference to its thin vertical armor. Wehraboos never mention that one for some reason.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Davin Valkri posted:

The PzIV is a pre-war vehicle that had a long life, where the Tiger and Panther were later designs. I'm guessing they juat didn't start naming them like that until later.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

For the rest of it (for example, assessment of the quality of military equipment) she's going to be going off of what she finds in the secondary literature.

My favorite part was when she referred to the PPSh-41 as a "field artillery gun". :ussr:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

My favorite part was when she referred to the PPSh-41 as a "field artillery gun". :ussr:

Just because it's handheld and its munitions are small doesn't mean it's not artillery. Don't sizeshame

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Polyakov posted:

The Panzer 4 long barrel versions will always be the WW2 tanks of my heart. They just looks more tanklike than any other tank of the era in a weird way to me. But I'm a sucker for boxy shapes in military equipment.

Yeah, when I think of WWII tanks, they're always some long barreled late war tanks. For some reason I don't think that the early war tanks are as iconic, even if Germany did most of their "Blitzkrieg" with them. The only exception is T-34 that always looks extremely tank-like:

Davin Valkri posted:

same!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Prototypes are so cool :allears:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Prototypes are so cool :allears:

Okay that one looks legit af ngl

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Hey I'm looking to do some reading on post-war relations between Japan and the United States. What are some good books or resources to get informed on the subject?

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Hey I'm looking to do some reading on post-war relations between Japan and the United States. What are some good books or resources to get informed on the subject?

Do you mean during the occupation or after?

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
After the occupation.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Do you mean during the occupation or after?

How long was the occupation? I always had the impression it was a pretty short period of time, like maybe it ended during the Korean War?

e: I know we still have bases there, I mean the formal occupation where we controlled their government and whatnot.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MANime in the sheets posted:

How long was the occupation? I always had the impression it was a pretty short period of time, like maybe it ended during the Korean War?

kinda still ongoing

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

MANime in the sheets posted:

e: I know we still have bases there, I mean the formal occupation where we controlled their government and whatnot.

Formally, it ended in 1952 with the signing of the Treaty of San Francisco

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_San_Francisco

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bewbies posted:

kinda still ongoing

There's a huge difference between having leases for military bases and an occupation.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Rent-a-Bot posted:

After the occupation.

Can't help with stuff after the formal occupation unfortunately :(

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

There's a huge difference between having leases for military bases and an occupation.

tell that to Japanese activists

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bewbies posted:

Pretty sure someone has

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bewbies posted:

They can disagree with the US having military bases in Japan, but that doesn't make them an occupied nation. The last time I checked Japan had a constitution, its own courts, its own elected government, and any criminal violations were pursued by those domestic apparatuses.

Before 1952 this was very much not the case.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I mean I'm British and I don't think we are under US occupation either despite RAF Lakenheath. (Good source of Nathans hotdogs and Johnsonville brats tho)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

feedmegin posted:

I mean I'm British and I don't think we are under US occupation either

Yes....good...good.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

feedmegin posted:

I mean I'm British and I don't think we are under US occupation either despite RAF Lakenheath. (Good source of Nathans hotdogs and Johnsonville brats tho)

Johnsonville brats aren't a normal thing in England? You poor bastard. We need to invade and occupy you just for that travesty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanine posted:

fallout new vegas?

Probably the best fallout game if only for the fact that you can beat a roman soldier to death, steal his money, load it into a shotgun round, and then blow his mate's head off with his own coinage.

I feel like there's a really complex commentary in there somewhere but I'm not sure what on.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Probably the best fallout game if only for the fact that you can beat a roman soldier to death, steal his money, load it into a shotgun round, and then blow his mate's head off with his own coinage.

I feel like there's a really complex commentary in there somewhere but I'm not sure what on.

the dangers of silver standard

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OwlFancier posted:

A reference to "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid?"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Part of me wants to see what would happen if you just dumped a bunch of like, second world war era military equipment on a roman legion, what would they do with it?

I mean the obvious one is Hannibal ending up crossing the alps much faster and in a T34.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 16, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nebakenezzer posted:

A reference to "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid?"

The director actually posted that scene as explanation on these very forums

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

limp_cheese posted:

Johnsonville brats aren't a normal thing in England? You poor bastard. We need to invade and occupy you just for that travesty.

Our hotdogs come in jars or cans, in brine *spooky noises*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Our hotdogs come in jars or cans, in brine *spooky noises*

Wait how else do you get a hotdog?