Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It seems p funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Edible Hat posted:

He did literally everything not-racists said black people should do to not get killed by a cop, right? And he still was killed. And the police officer was acquitted.

This case is disgusting. Homemaker fascists and closet white nationalists getting onto juries is starting to piss me off.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Saw an actual good comment on Reddit today. If Trump has his own Saturday Night Massacre, it has to be called the Bowling Green Massacre.

i wonder if the lifted it from like 10 pages ago in this thread

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Edible Hat posted:

He did literally everything not-racists said black people should do to not get killed by a cop, right? And he still was killed. And the police officer was acquitted.

No one should be surprised. Police literally have a licence to murder in the US and this has been upheld very consistently.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

I'm pretty sure he's trying to be cute rather than pull a real life Dril. So go gently caress yourself, you loving thief.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

No Butt Stuff posted:

Because she's been a target of right wing slander for as long as Hillary for the crime of being competent, long-standing, female, and a democrat.

Don't forget left wing slander! I'm always charmed when I see people with the DSA rose in their twittle handles, making GBS threads on Pelosi for insufficient ideological purity.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Abisteen posted:

No that was Walter Scott in South Carolina. Philando Castile was the man who was not shot on camera but whose fiancé streamed the immediate aftermath.

Holy poo poo. how the gently caress was he not found guilty of that. the piece of poo poo should have at least been fired for that.

Rigel posted:

Yes, thats the other route to firing Mueller. If the entire DOJ stands firm and refuses to fire Mueller and Trump can't find a minion to do his bidding, then Trump can change the rules that say he can't fire the special prosecutor. It would immediately cause a political shitstorm of course since Trump would basically be declaring that the president can't ever be even investigated, and there would be pressure in congress to reinstate the special counsel laws which they allowed to sunset after Ken Starr's crusade. It would also be obstruction of justice, if that matters.

pretty much. no matter how trump bullshits his sacking. muellers firing will be the end of it.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Radish posted:

No one should be surprised. Police literally have a licence to murder in the US and this has been upheld very consistently.

everyone should be both surprised and outraged each and every loving time our justice system fails, especially when it fails to deliver justice in instances where the most vulnerable among us is victim

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Holy poo poo. how the gently caress was he not found guilty of that. the piece of poo poo should have at least been fired for that.

pretty much. no matter how trump bullshits his sacking. muellers firing will be the end of it.

Convicting a cop for killing a minority is practically impossible. White juries are way too committed to the idea that police face death daily and if they don't shoot first at every opportunity they are risking their lives. This is not just a Republican thing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fart City posted:

Reince Priebus sat in his office, reviewing the speech notes. Suddenly, the door swung open, revealing a flustered and sweating Steve Bannon.

"WHERE IS HE?" Bannon roared.

"What are you talking about?" Priebus said. "Where he always is."

Priebus gestured towards the computer monitor on his desk, which was presently broadcasting a live feed from the Oval Office. In its grainy screen the President sat behind his desk, eating a taco bowl. Bannon swung around Priebus' desk, heaving. He reached down and grabbed the lapels of Reince's jacket.

"YOU FOOL!" He shouted, covering Priebus in a cloud of Southern Comfort. "THE CLOCK! THE GODDAMN CLOCK!"

For a moment Priebus stared blankly. Then his eyes grew large as realization took hold. He turned back to the monitor. A clock was visible on the wall of the Oval Office. It read "12:35pm." Priebus looked at his own watch. 1:45pm.

"Oh god," he whispered.

They ran down the hall, bursting through the doors of the Oval Office. But it was already too late. The chair behind the ornate desk was empty,, the half-eaten taco bowl cold to the touch. And carved into the polished surface of the desk itself was one sentence:

ALL WORK AND NO TWEETS MAKES DONNIE LOW ENERGY

Thread moves so fast this is already pages back, but drat I love this kind of stuff :allears:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/SBANYPD/status/875813747310428162

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

People are being decidedly non-defeatist about him Firing Mueller, and while Boon is saying that things matter more with Mueller in place, the implication of that is that if Mueller is fired things won't matter (at least as much as they do now).

Either way the wet-blanket factor of telling people not to jerk off to Nixon Speed Run is telling.

You're weird, dude, and projecting some poo poo on me and then arguing with me about projecting.

Also, I'm not sure why I should take you seriously when you do not understand the process...

Chilichimp posted:

I'm not writing off the 60 vote threshold as impossible.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 16, 2017

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

don't do what i did and misread this tweet

this is a disgusting tweet

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Sitting here in June 2017, the whole "Bowling Green Massacre" thing genuinely feels like it happened years ago. The Trump Presidency is so loving absurd that I think it's doing serious damage to time itself.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Edible Hat posted:

I haven't been following this at all. What is the cop's story? I assume its bullshit, but he didn't just simply say "I was scared and I panicked", what did he claim to see that was a threat?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:killing:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Senators would take a ton of heat if Mueller were fired and they didn't immediately set him up as independent. The idea has already been discussed. Would it just be a majority in the senate? I can't imagine you couldn't find a few Reps to do it.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Slack Motherfucker posted:

Don't forget left wing slander! I'm always charmed when I see people with the DSA rose in their twittle handles, making GBS threads on Pelosi for insufficient ideological purity.

Straight rejecting single-payer in 2017 as unrealistic within our lifetimes (while acting like converting Iran to a democracy is no big deal, while we were beating that drum momentarily) goes a bit beyond "insufficient ideological purity".

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rigel posted:

I haven't been following this at all. What is the cop's story? I assume its bullshit, but he didn't just simply say "I was scared and I panicked", what did he claim to see that was a threat?

If Castile wasn't as high as a kite he wouldn't have had to shoot him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

You're weird, dude, and projecting some poo poo on me and then arguing with me about projecting.

Also, I'm not sure why I should take you seriously when you do not understand the process (the number of individuals required to convict).

Is it not 60 votes on the floor of the Senate?

edit:

Oh, it's 67.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

This is definitely very funny. Also:

https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/875816940325015552

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

androo posted:

Straight rejecting single-payer in 2017 as unrealistic within our lifetimes (while acting like converting Iran to a democracy is no big deal, while we were beating that drum momentarily) goes a bit beyond "insufficient ideological purity".

Well Pelosi's lifetime isn't as long as most of ours given her age.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Chilichimp posted:

gently caress off, Greg.

You made your own name a loving verb for assaulting the press.

help help
i'm being gianforted

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Chilichimp posted:

It's 67

repeating
Nov 14, 2005

Rigel posted:

He said Castile was reaching for his legal concealed carry weapon, when he had just asked him for license and registration, which is, you know, pretty close to the same area. So "I was scared and I panicked" basically.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

Why don't you tell me. You're the one arguing with me like you know what the gently caress you're talking about

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Rigel posted:

boy howdy do i have some news for you friendo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shifty Pony posted:

I would wager it is probably a convenience thing. He doesn't want every staff member to say "Sorry, I need my attorney here if we are going to talk" when he walks up.

Which is probably short sighted. Yes if the staff got their own lawyers their lawyers would want to be present during discussions with him and they even might advise the staff member to work for an immunity deal, but their lawyers also might help prevent the staff from saying or doing something stupid that gets everyone in trouble. The NY Times article about Kasowitz in the White House kind of alludes to that:

I can't speak to the strategic reason but an attorney telling anyone who is not their direct client "you don't need a lawyer of your own" is close to an automatic ethics violation, because you've just given legal advice to someone who at least potentially has an interest adverse to your client (even if the interest is just in cutting a deal to save themselves). I wonder if he's making all the white House staff sign conflict waivers.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Boon posted:

Why don't you tell me. You're the one arguing like you know what the gently caress you're talking about

Oh man, I've been owned. My entire argument is poo poo *shrinks into a corn cob*

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Rigel posted:

Yanez claims that he saw the gun, and thus feared for his life. They've also claimed that he was too high to be able to properly follow instructions.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I can't speak to the strategic reason but an attorney telling anyone who is not their direct client "you don't need a lawyer of your own" is close to an automatic ethics violation, because you've just given legal advice to someone who at least potentially has an interest adverse to your client (even if the interest is just in cutting a deal to save themselves). I wonder if he's making all the white House staff sign conflict waivers.

hey wouldjalookatthat

http://www.law.com/sites/almstaff/2017/06/15/kasowitz-hit-with-ethics-complaints-in-ny-dc-over-white-house-advice/?slreturn=20170516165459

quote:

Kasowitz Hit With Ethics Complaints in NY, DC Over White House Advice

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well Pelosi's lifetime isn't as long as most of ours given her age.

And she favors public option strongly

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Yanez is a complete joke. The defense leaned heavily on discrediting the witnesses (aka Philando's girlfriend) based on their marijuana use. They got a "self-defense" expert to testify that "if you can see the gun, it's too late." I'm beyond loving pissed. This happened like 10 miles from my house. I thought we were different here in Minnesota, especially after governor Dayton came right out and questioned whether this would have happened if Castile were white. It's infuriating. I'm expecting him to come down on this and will probably be making a phone call to the mansion.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Are you really, Dianne?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/16/politics/dianne-feinstein-trump/index.html

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

loving lol.

Everyday of this administration has been a gift. Depending on the hour I feel depressed or exuberant.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's not "close to" an ethics violation, it's squarely and directly violative of DC Bar Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 4.3.

DC Bar Rule 4.3 (a) posted:

In dealing on behalf of a client with a person who is not represented by counsel, a lawyer shall not: (1) Give advice to the unrepresented person other than the advice to secure counsel, if the interests of such person are or have a reasonable possibility of being in conflict with the interests of the lawyer’s client

E;FB! Nicely done skylined! Partial credit for the rules cite, pretty please?

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

scuz posted:

Yanez is a complete joke. The defense leaned heavily on discrediting the witnesses (aka Philando's girlfriend) based on their marijuana use. They got a "self-defense" expert to testify that "if you can see the gun, it's too late." I'm beyond loving pissed. This happened like 10 miles from my house. I thought we were different here in Minnesota, especially after governor Dayton came right out and questioned whether this would have happened if Castile were white. It's infuriating. I'm expecting him to come down on this and will probably be making a phone call to the mansion.

yeah, it's a fuckin' shitshow for sure. Unfortunately despite Minnesota being a way more excellent place in most ways than our neighbors, we're still rear end at racism. I'm pissed, my family's pissed, my coworkers are somewhere between jadedly unsurprised and pissed.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What's the likelihood that the DC and NY associations actually take punitive actions?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

JohnCompany posted:

It's not "close to" an ethics violation, it's squarely and directly violative of DC Bar Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 4.3.

E;FB! Nicely done skylined! Partial credit for the rules cite, pretty please?

I said "close to automatic" because I could actually see Trump ordering all his employees to sign attorney conflict waivers. Which would still likely be a violation of something but would at least complicate the argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

yeah, it's a fuckin' shitshow for sure. Unfortunately despite Minnesota being a way more excellent place in most ways than our neighbors, we're still rear end at racism. I'm pissed, my family's pissed, my coworkers are somewhere between jadedly unsurprised and pissed.

Usually in these the prosecutor scuttles the case using a grand jury. Was the actual trial jury here just like a bunch of white boomers or something?

• Locked thread