Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
For my Yu Jing I'm thinking of doing a color scheme like this one(not my model)

but I'm thinking I want to use a different secondary color than grey, but I'm not really sure what I want. What do people think would look good for that. I'm thinking maybe red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
You need to do more edge highlighting than on that model at least. I think it looks really flat. Thats kind of an issue with the sculpts though. They demand a certain painting style imo.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Not a viking posted:

You need to do more edge highlighting than on that model at least. I think it looks really flat. Thats kind of an issue with the sculpts though. They demand a certain painting style imo.

As someone whose Infinity minis look kinda underwhelming, I'd like to know which painting style you're talking about.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

KPC_Mammon posted:

As someone whose Infinity minis look kinda underwhelming, I'd like to know which painting style you're talking about.

Edge highlighting 30 second photoshop example:

I'm not great at it myself, tbh, but it looks really nice when executed well. Or even when executed moderately if the model looks really flat otherwise.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

KPC_Mammon posted:

In addition to edge highlighting, the large, flat surfaces really lend themselves to "non-metallic metals," as that style of color-gradient gives the surface a lot of depth that a flat color will not.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Played my first game with Tohaa today, mission we went for was Frontline and my list was:
Frontline
──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1 10 1
RASAIL Lieutenant Viral Combi Rifle + 1 Chaksa Peripheral / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 39)
CHAKSA PERIPHERAL Heavy Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. (- | 4)
KAELTAR (Chain of Command) Light Shotgun, Flash Pulse + 2 SymbioMates / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0.5 | 21)
GAO-RAEL Spitfire / Pistol, CCW. (1.5 | 33)
KOSUIL Engineer K1 Combi Rifle, D-Charges, Nullifier / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 29)
KERAIL PRECEPTOR Submachine Gun, Smoke Grenades + 2 Surda SymbioBeasts / Pistol, Electric Pulse. (0 | 28)
SURDA SYMBIOBEAST Pulzar / Viral CCW. (0 | 8)
MAKAUL Heavy Flamethrower, Eclipse Grenades / Pistol, Viral CCW. (0 | 13)
KOTAIL Spitfire / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 36)
NIKOUL Minelayer Viral Sniper Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 30)
IGAO Boarding Shotgun, Stun Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 25)
CHAKSA AUXILIAR (Baggage, Sensor) Heavy Flamethrower / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 10)

GROUP 2 2
CHAKSA AUXILIAR (Neurocinetics, 360º Visor) HMG / Pistol, CCW. (1 | 25)
CHAKSA AUXILIAR (Baggage, Sensor) Heavy Flamethrower / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 10)

6 SWC | 299 Points

Open in Infinity Army
Great fun to play, I won 10-1 after brute forcing my way through PanO but got a few rules wrong in the process. Played against NCA with a 5 man Bolt team which makes Viral weapons really sad. I completely forgot about SymbioMates (lol) and the fact my Rasail had Nanoscreen so kept her back all game. Need to remember that!

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Is the HMG Taskmaster the only version of that model out there?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Sure is, and it only came out a few months back so I wouldn't expect another any time soon.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

Others gave some examples, but yeah.

Also, CB's minis often have free hand patterns on the biggest areas.

I've tried to mimic the studio scheme with my rodoks:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've been using close to the studio scheme for my CA. I tried a few custom schemes, but nothing popped like the studio one.

Still happy with my haq scheme though. They really suit the earthy deserty tones.

I'll be painting my sphinx on monday/tuesday. Really looking forward to it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not a viking posted:

Others gave some examples, but yeah.

Also, CB's minis often have free hand patterns on the biggest areas.

I've tried to mimic the studio scheme with my rodoks:

I still don't understand Giraldez' love for making battle dents on everything but I guess it is an easy way to make flat areas more visually stimulating.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I still don't understand Giraldez' love for making battle dents on everything but I guess it is an easy way to make flat areas more visually stimulating.

I interpret it as extreme highlights and not battle damage / chipping. There were some examples of weathering in his latest books and it looks a lot grimier and grimdark than the CB studio scheme.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yo UK goons, we have an event down here in Cardiff on August the 12th! come down and play!

http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/infinity-operation-firestorm

Info is in the description tab.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Not a viking posted:

I interpret it as extreme highlights and not battle damage / chipping. There were some examples of weathering in his latest books and it looks a lot grimier and grimdark than the CB studio scheme.

Oh I have that book (vol 2) but I mean the painted on scars he enjoys. Quickest example I saw was this:

http://www.arcaneminiatures.co.uk/images/infinity-miniatures/280254-0338.jpg

Like the knee pad. He likes doing scars and cross hatches on stuff.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
It definitely serves to break up large surfaces and add visual interest to the minis. The trick is not to overdo it.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

WIP of my current dude and test scheme:

Shaded the orange the other day but haven't had chance to sit down with him any more, gonna highlight the oranges tomorrow and start the other colours. Quite happy with how the orange is coming so far though, it's a bugger to paint. Once the highlights done I'll glaze the recesses to inject some colour into it, not sure what to go with yet, probably a purplish red like the studio scheme?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Plain or bloody red, assuming you're going with metallic plating. Do the classic grafted body horror look.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.
Alternatively, there's a bit of stippling that wound up on those head ridges. You could go for a mottled effect on the orange there; giving it green or brown for texture. This would also let you go a more organic resin-y look for the plate parts.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Plain or bloody red, assuming you're going with metallic plating. Do the classic grafted body horror look.
Yeah I was definitely leaning on the red, got a nice Scale Colour Blood Red here I was planning to use.

Cheers dudes!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Painted some mans.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Those look great mate, what colours did you use for the bases?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Black basecoat, rough brush painted vallejo UK azure model air, Generous flooding of P3 blue ink followed by a second patchy pass to break uniformity, then a drybrush pass with Vallejo white model colour.

Fun thing on the Sphinx, the orange bits are multiple gradient layers of orange ink over white. Which isn't interesting by itself, but the ink is 27 year old GW ink that I recently found stashed away at my folks place.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Man, the eyes on Dr. Worm look kinda like...nipples. Which is both totally wrong and also totally right.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

brb, repainting Dr Worm and pals.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ilor posted:

Man, the eyes on Dr. Worm look kinda like...nipples. Which is both totally wrong and also totally right.
I'm totally painting wormbots as boobheads now.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My wotan 50% off Yu Jing bundle finally showed up! Getting it tonight, as it was actually ordered by one of our warcors who used his warcor points to pay for the shipping. Get to assemble my first transformer!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm most of the way through cleaning my stuff up from that bundle. Just waiting for my bases to get in. Super hyped to start playing and painting these guys.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

I got to have fun with my Sphinx for the first time tonight.

T1: Murders 8 dudes, still standing on 1 wound, leaving opponent with 5 orders.

:v:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Playing a Wotan mission thursday, using vanilla CA. Dunno whether to take an Anathematic, Charontid, or Avatar*. What do goons think?

* dont own the model nor intend to buy one until its resculpted so it would be a dirty proxy

E: actually the mission has TAG melee as a thing, I'm gonna take a Xeo haris and slap some objectives.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 21, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

I think I'll keep my rodok ML

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I really really like the release Rodok, I need to sort out what he's standing on but it's a great model.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Sigh. They have the Sukeul Missile Launcher model a "check out my heels and rear end pose," instead of a more imposing one.

:negative:

I would have rather had yet another tactical rock.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Seriously. Do they give the sculptors/modelers private rooms to work one handed?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I didn't realize until last night that the Su Jian had an older model. It isn't quite as bad as the original Nomad Mobile Brigada, but it is still hilariously bad. The new Su Jian model is just so cool its hard to imagine that horrible thing as the model for such a cool unit.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The unit box of Riot Grrls looks like reheated dog poo poo, and that kills me, since the new one from the Bakunin starter is a pretty nice model, if a little blandly posed.

Airborne lookin' good, though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

grassy gnoll posted:

The unit box of Riot Grrls looks like reheated dog poo poo, and that kills me, since the new one from the Bakunin starter is a pretty nice model, if a little blandly posed.

Airborne lookin' good, though.

Its really strange that there was a slightly new look for the Riot Grrls in the Bakunin set and then they just ditched it with their own box.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Not sure what you guys mean? The one on the left is from the new Bakunin starter. They all look like the same aesthetic to me, other than the ones in the new box having hair instead of a helmet.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

S.J. posted:

Not sure what you guys mean? The one on the left is from the new Bakunin starter. They all look like the same aesthetic to me, other than the ones in the new box having hair instead of a helmet.

Maybe it is just the angles and relatively poor resolution of the original picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

Maybe it is just the angles and relatively poor resolution of the original picture.

The original pic looked like garbage to me so I went to their website. I think the way the metallics are highlighted doesn't do them any favors in some of these pics. Too hard to actually pick out the details if you don't have a larger shot.

• Locked thread