Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Puerco
Feb 18, 2017
I'm spreading Jello brand gelatin, stepping out of the phone booth, trying to avoid Mom's shoe, fireing up the radial airplane engine, forgetting what kind of car that was, sending Russel to see the city, standing in front of that easil, teaching us white kids a thing or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Is she the one with the story about them body slaming her through a glass coffee table and then gang raping her on the shards of broken glass

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Trunko posted:

Is she the one with the story about them body slaming her through a glass coffee table and then gang raping her on the shards of broken glass

Yeah she's a psycho and there are thousands more like her the media doesn't cover. It's a much bigger problem than "rape culture" or stupid poo poo like loving "male gaze" that gets way more media attention.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position. It is a kind of fallacy of selective attention, the most common example of which is the confirmation bias.[1][2] Cherry picking may be committed intentionally or unintentionally. This fallacy is a major problem in public debate.[3]

CaptainBtaksDad
Jun 3, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Trunko posted:

it was all part of a frat initiation ritual too lol

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Yug posted:

Then what's your point? They were paraded around in the media as horrible evil men and their hosed up psycho false accuser got all the attention and praise and adoration she desired. She should be in prison for as long as they were potentially facing.

Okay, that seems fair if it can be proven she knew she was lying and wasn't just crazy or misremembering in an alcohol/drug fugue.

They still were judged not guilty in a court of law. I don't know what else you want.

Maybe we should keep all accused people's names out of the paper until their guilt or innocence is established by a court of law? That prevents the court of public opinion from convicting innocent people regardless of the crime they're accused of.

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. People can be falsely accused of many things besides rape, so it wouldn't be fair to protect suspected rapists and not other groups. Everyone should be protected.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Trunko posted:

No, that was the Rolling Stone story.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Yug posted:

There are probably way more false accusations than there are actual rapists. It's a sick society.

Bullshit.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Deer posted:

Okay, that seems fair if it can be proven she knew she was lying and wasn't just crazy or misremembering in an alcohol/drug fugue.

They still were judged not guilty in a court of law. I don't know what else you want.

Maybe we should keep all accused people's names out of the paper until their guilt or innocence is established by a court of law? That prevents the court of public opinion from convicting innocent people regardless of the crime they're accused of.

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. People can be falsely accused of many things besides rape, so it wouldn't be fair to protect suspected rapists and not other groups. Everyone should be protected.

I don't really have a problem with any of that. I think some European countries are like that.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

No, that was the Rolling Stone story.

It's hard to get all these fake accusation stories straight when there are so many of them.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Deer posted:

No, actually, I don't. I think they were fairly acquited.

It's a terrible example is all because they were, in fact, exonerated.

That guy is mentally ill tbh I don't think he can be reasoned with. He can't see he's basically the extreme man-hating feminist he hates except w/ the genders switched

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Yug posted:

Yeah she's a psycho and there are thousands more like her the media doesn't cover. It's a much bigger problem than "rape culture" or stupid poo poo like loving "male gaze" that gets way more media attention.

The highest national (I use national to make sure the estimate is at least nominally conservative) estimates of false rape accusations sit at 10%. Let's double that to 20% just to be extremely fair.

That still literally doesn't add up, except lol you don't care about statistics why do I bother God, I'm an idiot.

Yeah, bitches lie, rape isn't real, whatever.

Women: this is the type of man who will be at your rape trial. Do not bother. Find a good therapist.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

i like that posted:

That guy is mentally ill tbh I don't think he can be reasoned with. He can't see he's basically the extreme man-hating feminist he hates except w/ the genders switched

I know. I'm a posting nihilist. I ain't give a care. He will surely say some awful poo poo and OH WELL that's how men do, I suppose.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Tiny Deer posted:

The highest national (I use national to make sure the estimate is at least nominally conservative) estimates of false rape accusations sit at 10%. Let's double that to 20% just to be extremely fair.

That still literally doesn't add up, except lol you don't care about statistics why do I bother God, I'm an idiot.

Women: this is the type of man who will be at your rape trial. Do not bother. Find a good therapist.

I thought you didn't want women to see the rapist. Make up your loving mind.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Yug posted:

What

As in...I want the rapist to be invisible?

Or for it to be a surprise from behind?

What are you talking about?

(Okay admittedly you surprised me with your response when I thought it would be predictable so at least you have that.)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Tiny Deer posted:

What

As in...I want the rapist to be invisible?

Or for it to be a surprise from behind?

What are you talking about?

(Okay admittedly you surprised me with your response when I thought it would be predictable so at least you have that.)
He's making a joke. "Therapist" = "the rapist"

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
You just said you wanted women who have been raped to see the rapist instead of go to the police. That's loving sick.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Yug posted:

You just said you wanted women who have been raped to see the rapist instead of go to the police. That's loving sick.

:colbert: so much for the sincere and trustworthy right

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
If you think Yug is (usually) sincere, I don't know what to tell you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Tiny Deer posted:

:colbert: so much for the sincere and trustworthy right

I think that's how he actually parses it.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Yug posted:

it's a regular facet of your behavior to retreat from whatever assertion you've made that's actually being challenged to a more readily defensible position, irrespective of its relevance or whether the people you're engaged with actually hold a position in opposition to it. how do you reconcile your certainty in your assertions with your unwillingness to defend them in honest discourse?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
rape is not ok

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Cubone posted:

it's a regular facet of your behavior to retreat from whatever assertion you've made that's actually being challenged to a more readily defensible position, irrespective of its relevance or whether the people you're engaged with actually hold a position in opposition to it. how do you reconcile your certainty in your assertions with your unwillingness to defend them in honest discourse?

"Lol"

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Orkin Mang posted:

rape is not ok

Fair point

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Tiny Deer posted:

Any ideas on how to keep accused famous people's name out of the media? "[popular celeb] gets taken to court" is like one of the hottest news stories, and people will be clamoring to hear more.

Someone said Europe does that? How do they do that? Feels like stopping the tide, to me right now

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Trunko posted:

Fair point

its not ok. its just not.wowzas

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cubone posted:

What are you even talking about? I've been proven right again and again?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Tiny Deer posted:

Unless the school administration is running the kangaroo court. Then you'll be found guilty even if you both admit it's consensual.

Also, it's interesting that you would excuse a false accuser because they were intoxicated. That seems to fly in the face of how intoxication is viewed in regards to sexual assault.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yug posted:

Is that a question?

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Tiny Deer posted:

That's because those statistics only include intentional false claims of rapes. It doesn't include claims that are unfounded, where the claim simply can't be demonstrated and the reason for it not being demonstrable can't positively be shown to be intentional lying. People can engage in call kinds of self-deception for all kinds of reasons.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

Any ideas on how to keep accused famous people's name out of the media? "[popular celeb] gets taken to court" is like one of the hottest news stories, and people will be clamoring to hear more.

Someone said Europe does that? How do they do that? Feels like stopping the tide, to me right now

I have no idea, to be honest. Better to try than to not though.

Unless we make it so no public figure can be accused of a crime, public figures will be accused of crimes--especially when they actually commit crimes. Maybe at best we could keep the details of the accusation out of the media.

Defendants really don't have enough of a right to privacy in the current Western legal system. Putting aside rape for a second, any false accusation can be very damaging. At the very least we could spare people the court of public opinion.

Report whatever you want after the fact, but only after the facts are in. We expect that of other reporting.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i take rape on a case by case basis. all women are whores

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kiryen posted:

That's because those statistics only include intentional false claims of rapes. It doesn't include claims that are unfounded, where the claim simply can't be demonstrated and the reason for it not being demonstrable can't positively be shown to be intentional lying. People can engage in call kinds of self-deception for all kinds of reasons.

Not all of those claims would be false though, they just couldn't be determined to be true.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kiryen posted:

It also includes only claims reported to the authorities, when they don't need to be so reported in order to have injurious effects on a person's life - see Bust Rodd's account.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Not all of those claims would be false though, they just couldn't be determined to be true.
Indeed. There's a big grey area in the middle between the successfully prosecuted cases and the definitely false accusations.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Orkin mang I feel like your initial statement was very strong but I'm not sure where youre going with this follow-up

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Guilty until proven innocent.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

women cannot be trusted. they lie and they lie

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

new phone who dis posted:

Unless the school administration is running the kangaroo court. Then you'll be found guilty even if you both admit it's consensual.

Also, it's interesting that you would excuse a false accuser because they were intoxicated. That seems to fly in the face of how intoxication is viewed in regards to sexual assault.

Intoxication is more a mitigating factor than a defense, in my mind. I'm not a lawyer and I have no idea. It seems fair to consider it as a mitigating factor in either case, but not one that excuses you.

Honestly I don't know if the legal system can even handle sexual violence. It hasn't proven to be good at it so far. Maybe we just need to raise non-rapists/non-BPD people and hope that helps.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Yug posted:

I see. do you feel that these assertions

Yug posted:

There are probably way more false accusations than there are actual rapists. It's a sick society.

Yug posted:

there are thousands more like her the media doesn't cover. It's a much bigger problem than "rape culture" or stupid poo poo like loving "male gaze" that gets way more media attention.
and these responses

Tiny Deer posted:

That still literally doesn't add up
constitute part of this pattern of you being proven right, or have I misunderstood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Yug posted:

Guilty until proven innocent.
Actually that's the other way around.

• Locked thread