Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The new art style for Nidhogg is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Neon Chrome has a fantastic soundtrack. :allears:

Game plays really well, too. Up to Overseer 3.0 in a couple of hours so it's all zipping along quickly. Great game to play in spare 15 minute bursts.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The Bananana posted:

Hey, about a month ago, PS4 store was offering the Fallout 4 Season pass for 29 bux.

Anyone know if I can still find a similar deal to that anywhere else?

Fair warning - the DLC is breaking the game for many people on PS4 (including me :().

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Fair warning - the DLC is breaking the game for many people on PS4 (including me :().

Oh no. What's wrong?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

The Bananana posted:

Oh no. What's wrong?

The game won't start at all, just gets stuck at loading screen. I think Nuka World is probably to blame because everything was working fine until I installed that one.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Snak posted:

Aloy is basically what I want out of an open-world protagonist. There is almost no dissonance between what you are capable of doing as her in gameplay, versus what she bekieves she's capable of in cutscenes.

One of my favorite bits in the game is when someone is like "they won't open the gate until the whole valley is clear of dinosaurs" and Aloy is like "okay, I'm on it". "We don't have any braves to send, you'll have to​ wait" "Did I say I needed help?"

I remember that scene. I actually was doing all the open world objectives I could before moving on, so when it came to that Aloy just quiped "Oh, I already took care of them"

"What? How?"

"I'm really good with a bow."

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

But what they ended up with was literal chesthigh walls that my hyper-competent in every cutscene hero cant climb up and its ridiculous.

Have you played it? Cause it sounds like some back of the box bullet points you got there.

I played bread of the wild whatever is called. Not a fan of it. Weapons break too fast. As for travel, you are too limited by the stamina system. I did not liked the combat. Or the loot. I like some of the design of the dungeons thingies. But then I found one with forced stealth. Managed to pass trough that part too.

HZD is a much better game in every way imaginable, except minor details about your blade cutting grass, and emergent gameplay. Other than that HZD run circles around the nintendo game. For me. For other people it will be the opposite.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Someone recorded the entirety of the Monster Hunter World closed doors presentation at E3 this year. It's phone quality and done sneakily to avoid detection but you can watch it here. 22 minutes of Monster Hunting goodness on dubious low quality recording.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I love both HZD and BOTW. They both work for me in different ways. Both are visually stunning with fun combat. I like HZD's combat better and I like BOTW's exploration better but they are both amazing games. Definitely my candidates for GOTY, and I wouldn't be super upset if one beat out the other.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Morby posted:

I love both HZD and BOTW. They both work for me in different ways. Both are visually stunning with fun combat. I like HZD's combat better and I like BOTW's exploration better but they are both amazing games. Definitely my candidates for GOTY, and I wouldn't be super upset if one beat out the other.

Yeah agreed. I think HZD might inch it out for me in general, but Zelda was a more creative approach to open world.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah agreed. I think HZD might inch it out for me in general, but Zelda was a more creative approach to open world.

Visually they are both stunning, but HZD's more photorealistic style is the winner for me. I also just really dig Aloy as a new potential face of a franchise and I want more games based around her and characters like her.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I guess I'm alone in liking both games pretty much equally because good games are cool and fun.

I finally picked up Witcher 3 season pass since it's still $12. Going to start a brand new game on Blood And Broken Bones difficulty. Wondering the recommended levels or parts in the story to access the DLC. (I've already beaten the game, so I don't mind talking about story spoilers. I'd just spoiler tag them for others, just to be safe.)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Both games are 8s or 9s for me. They have very different issues in my eyes

Zelda needs work in combat, shrine puzzles, and reward/loot structure. More fight moves, better mini dungeons with less loads, and items worth questing for would help that game a lot

Hzd needs work in traversal, in its weapon tier system, and its enemy ai. Handholds are garbage, having color coded weapons give you different ammo is stupid as hell, and enemies/allies are incredibly dumb

If sony and nintendo ever merge we might get the perfect game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DLCs are designed to be done at the end of the game, like level 30-35 for heart of stone. But there's an option for the game to just hand you a save at level 30 if you want to go straight to the DLC without playing the whole game again.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Real hurthling! posted:

If sony and nintendo ever merge we might get the perfect game.

Aloy and Link need to have a baby

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Digirat posted:

DLCs are designed to be done at the end of the game, like level 30-35 for heart of stone. But there's an option for the game to just hand you a save at level 30 if you want to go straight to the DLC without playing the whole game again.

Its worth it to do this cause they give you the starter armor but with end game stats so you can have that killer skin tight chainmail look back

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lakbay posted:

Aloy and Link need to have a baby

Alonky

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Ularg posted:

I guess I'm alone in liking both games pretty much equally because good games are cool and fun.

Nah man, you're not alone. They're both awesome games, and I can't honestly believe anyone who claims one is objectively better/worse than the other. They both have flaws but they both succeeded at being the best iterations of their genre. HZD is a solid take on a classic open-world game, while BOTW is a great new take on exploration in a truly open-world. Both will set the bar for future games in the open-world category, and both deserve all the accolades.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Cold on a Cob posted:

The game won't start at all, just gets stuck at loading screen. I think Nuka World is probably to blame because everything was working fine until I installed that one.

Hmm... Any chance for a patch?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

The Bananana posted:

Hmm... Any chance for a patch?

No idea. Bethesda is not talking. I don't know how many people are having this problem so you might be fine. That's the problem with the internet; stuff like this gets amplified so it might only be a few unlucky souls running into this issue. For what it's worth it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the console itself as it's happening with newer slims and older SKUs like mine. It also appears to be unrelated to using mods - I haven't used any mods in my game, for example.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Digirat posted:

I guess my completionist mentality had me end the game the first time around at around 40 something. Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll stick with replaying through the main game first unless I get really frustrated with it, which I doubt because open world RPGs, leveling/gear grinding and checklists are my loving jam.

Edit: Jesus, 20GBs of updates for newly installed Witcher 3, not including the DLC.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 16, 2017

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tei posted:

I played bread of the wild whatever is called. Not a fan of it. Weapons break too fast. As for travel, you are too limited by the stamina system. I did not liked the combat. Or the loot. I like some of the design of the dungeons thingies. But then I found one with forced stealth. Managed to pass trough that part too.

HZD is a much better game in every way imaginable, except minor details about your blade cutting grass, and emergent gameplay. Other than that HZD run circles around the nintendo game. For me. For other people it will be the opposite.

I'm enjoying HZD quite a bit but it's no contest, BOTW is one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life and beats the hell out of HZD

Also reading this thread has made me realize that while Nioh is totally a solid game, I have no desire to go back to it at all

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Re: Nioh. I really enjoyed the game but will agree that in a sprint HZD will beat it every time. It can't compete with the open world, the hunting mechanics, or the story. But I think that the moment to moment close-range combat lands on Nioh's side of the court. Each attack is measured and ki management isn't an optional mechanic, it's what will separate someone who can't stand the game from someone who gleefully co-ops just to do more of it. Nioh really shines with it's one on one battles, where it's you against another human with a comparable moveset. There are a bunch of these and I especially like the ones that pit you against another user of the same weapon type for some wooden sword fights in the dojo. If the PvP would have been just that with premade characters, like a modern take on Bushido Blade, I would have been ecstatic.

Here's a video I trot out whenever I get a chance. It shows off a late game fight between two human enemies, one of the harder battles in the base game. I use a lot of the game's tricks to even the odds but still only barely manage to squeak by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpBZw6rpbs

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nioh is a wierd beast.

People who want a souls-like won't get what they want, because while many design elements are borrowed from souls, the combat is much different, both technically and in pacing, and the loot system is straight out of diablo.

People who want Ninja Gaiden, or some other skill-based technical brawler won't get it, because while movesets and combat flow is like that, the numbers that go into it are loot-based, like diablo.

People who don't like the vague story of souls won't like this much more, because while there is a story, and there are cutscenes, it's mostly just an excuse to string the different levels together. (like diablo)

But if you want Diablo, you might not be prepared for how complex combat is.

I don't think this combination of elements is necessarily bad, but I can easily see why so many people are disappointed in it, because it's not enough like any one thing for the play experience to map to something familiar.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if nioh could have had entirely different monsters in each of the regions it would have helped a lot but its basically all the same stuff from beginning to end.

levels just become a string of japanese mansion too. bosses never impressed me either.

i got the dlc but haven't been back since i beat it. maybe this summer. did the same thing to ds3 as well. I think i might just be done with souls-like games unless and until bloodborne 2, or a demons/dark1 remake.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Real hurthling! posted:

if nioh could have had entirely different monsters in each of the regions it would have helped a lot but its basically all the same stuff from beginning to end.

levels just become a string of japanese mansion too. bosses never impressed me either.

i got the dlc but haven't been back since i beat it. maybe this summer. did the same thing to ds3 as well. I think i might just be done with souls-like games unless and until bloodborne 2, or a demons/dark1 remake.

What about toad boss? If you got to him and you werent impressed. I dont know what to say.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The DLC areas are quite large and varied.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bombadilillo posted:

What about toad boss? If you got to him and you werent impressed. I dont know what to say.

Granted.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nioh appeals to me because despite the comparative lack of atmosphere compared to something like Dark Souls, I can keep upgrading and fiddling with my character for a much longer period of time, with randomised loot and the like giving me that little hook and dose of chemicals to the lizard brain. I also really, really, really loving love co-operative play.

Dark Souls is a much superior game to play through, but Nioh hooked me for a much longer period of time because I knew there was going to be shinier, fancier loot down the corridors I'd trudged through previously. With a couple of exceptions that's not something you get in the Souls games.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Now that I think about it I can't remember any of the bosses in Nioh except that googly-eyed cat beast and I believe there was a frog ninja? I remember the bosses being very lackluster though. The patterns for the bosses were much less dynamic and much less punishing.

I feel like in a world where Dark Souls never existed, Nioh would be an amazing game.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Though it's by no means an acceptable defense, but NG+ (and the NG++ mode) are punishing as gently caress. NG is very easy to face roll.

That being said, if the game didn't grab you then a jump in difficulty won't change your mind on anything which is fair enough. I liked some of the quirkier enemies design mostly because there's not a lot of weird Japanese and Chinese mythology monsters in this stuff.

Apathetic Artist
Dec 23, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Someone recorded the entirety of the Monster Hunter World closed doors presentation at E3 this year. It's phone quality and done sneakily to avoid detection but you can watch it here. 22 minutes of Monster Hunting goodness on dubious low quality recording.

This is blowing my mind and I want it now!

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Does anyone have any opinions on which Souls game should be my first? with dark souls 3 on sale I was thinking about picking it up but I already own blood-borne without the DLC and haven't started it yet. I guess I'm basically just wondering if I should pick up Dark Souls 3 and Play that before blood-borne.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Does the "spend $100 to get $15" work with PS+ renewals? Can I buy two renewals at 49.99 plus a dollar thing to get it? It looked like it came out of the wallet but you also can't put 2 twelve month things in the cart.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

HotBobaloo posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on which Souls game should be my first? with dark souls 3 on sale I was thinking about picking it up but I already own blood-borne without the DLC and haven't started it yet. I guess I'm basically just wondering if I should pick up Dark Souls 3 and Play that before blood-borne.

You can jump in at any time, but starting with DS3 might make DS2 and 1 a bit weird to get used to.

But for now go through Bloodborne you goddamn lunatic.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

HotBobaloo posted:

I find it super hard to go backwards in the series. So go in release order? Demons is pretty odd though. So DS1

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

You can jump in at any time, but starting with DS3 might make DS2 and 1 a bit weird to get used to.

Ok bloodborne it is then. Is there a decent "babies first build"?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

poptart_fairy posted:

This. Go play Bloodborne jfc, it's super good.

Personally (and not talking to poptart in particular but soapboxing), I think the common gamer misconception of "you shouldnt play the newest game because you'll hate the older games!" is a bad one. I see it come up often in Steam thread and imo it's just wrong and partly dangerous, mostly that it could be if they try an older one first and hate it they might never play the more improved+fun newer ones.. Like people saying you shouldn't play Shadowrun: Dragonfall first because then Dead Man Switch will seem really bad and ho boy it would be a shame if they didn't experience DMS!

Now there may be reasons to play older ones first (i.e. story continuation) or if they're flat our better (i.e. DX or even DX:HR >> Mankind Divided) but in general if someone enjoys the latest and greatest, they'll also enjoy the older ones even if there is a little bit of an awkward curve/adaption phase to get used to slightly clunkier mechanics but you get over that super quick. And plenty of people go back and play old rear end PC/64/ps1-2/xbox games all the time (that they've either never played or have) and have no problem.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just dont worry about arcane or bloodtinge.

You can try out weapons plenty before you commit to strength or skill (or both). You'll want to put your first points in health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

HotBobaloo posted:

Ok bloodborne it is then. Is there a decent "babies first build"?

Find a weapon you like the look of, increase stats so you can use it, get your VIT and END to 20 or so. By that point you should have a solid idea on what weapons take your fancy.

If all else fails just go with the Saw Cleaver right at the start and pump VIT and END while you muse. The cleaver's a fantastic all around weapon and doesn't have any significant weaknesses.