Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Last night I played with a bunch of dudes and they literally argued about 7.62 caliber weapons and bullet types for 15 loving minutes and it was the wooooorst. Game was fun, but jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaghskull posted:

I swear to God that if they release a Vietnam version of DANZING, I will scream.

This is Red Orchestra after all.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Giznad Hill

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
When i first booted up the game the first thing I did was turn off the voice chat, even before moving my guy an inch from where I spawned.

I dunno how people can tolerate that poo poo even for one minute.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

hakimashou posted:

When i first booted up the game the first thing I did was turn off the voice chat, even before moving my guy an inch from where I spawned.

I dunno how people can tolerate that poo poo even for one minute.

I wouldn't mind the "GI go home" poo poo if peoples accents were better. It's like, gently caress, put a little loving effort into it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I've noticed that the latest thing to do is to initiate a vote kick on the enemy commander as soon as a round starts.

Fart Puzzle
Jul 25, 2007

compressed fart pieces

It sucks that these sorts of game attract the MAGA CHUDS, always "cuck" this and "HH" that, but that high you get when you finally nail a full Huey makes it all worthwhile. Also lots of people using "normie" as an insult lmao

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
one of the most satisfying things to do is camp the known huey drop-off spots and snipe the pilots/passengers as the copters flare in for a landing and turn them into abandoned ghost hueys

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
East side of D in An Lao Valley is perfect for that. I've started putting mines out there hoping I will get lucky enough for a helo to land on one.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Hm, someone found a new bug. Apparently, you get a decent amount of bonus points if you stand near your commander at the end of the round. Just ask gay.satan about it.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

LuiCypher posted:

They made it a lot less apparent moving from RS1 to RS2. In RS1, at least you had a stamina meter so you could figure out how poo poo your aim would be and your gun was visibly less steady. In this one, you don't sway as much when tired (esp. if prone) but the game will throw off your bullets from the crosshairs if you are. I've unloaded an entire SKS clip against someone from 50m away and watched every shot miss despite my crosshairs being on center of mass as a result of this mechanic.

I did, however, see immediate gains when I advanced much more slowly as a sniper thanks to following this advice.

I had no idea this was a thing. At least when playing regular RO2, it always seemed like the guys who were the most aggressive were the ones who were the most effective. Like watching other people play it, on youtube or in spectator mode or whatever, I would see guys just sprinting around everywhere massacring the other team because they were quick on the draw and memorized the maps. The players who tried to move slowly and creep around and snipe people were usually not very effective, and would just get overrun or flanked and shot by one of those hyper-aggressive players.

I got RS2 a while ago and mostly suck at it, but I got a lot better after a few hours. I had a couple of really good rounds earlier, and the game is a lot of fun. I like it more than RO2 so far.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
If you have a PPSH you can run around like a madman and murder people with your bullethose. But most other guns that doesn't work so well. If your guy is huffing like he is having an asthma attack he isn't going to hit poo poo.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator

Symetrique posted:

Hm, someone found a new bug. Apparently, you get a decent amount of bonus points if you stand near your commander at the end of the round. Just ask gay.satan about it.

i will attest to the validity of this statement

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ded posted:

If you have a PPSH you can run around like a madman and murder people with your bullethose. But most other guns that doesn't work so well. If your guy is huffing like he is having an asthma attack he isn't going to hit poo poo.

Very much this. It also depends on your loadout because weight affects your stamina a lot more than you think. So flamethrower is going to sway like crazy after any amount of sprinting, but a pointman will be a bit steadier.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
god drat it i wanted to like this game but as soon as i joined a server it's all CHING CHONG CHING CHONG on the voice chat so basically i turned it off and i'm a confused getting shot forever guy who gets no kills and does nothing useful. and i've played red orchestra before so i'm used to that but it would be nice to know whats going on without constant idiot racism piped into my ears

loving gamers ruin games. god drat it

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
for real one guy was all "stop being a racist idiot its not even funny" and he got votekicked. but the dude tking never got kicked. gonna ask for a refund while i can

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
I don't know what servers you guys are playing on. I barely ever hear the ching chong stuff and I hop servers a lot.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
just some random server. as soon as we team switch to the ARVN side every mouthbreathng sisterfucker rushes to voice chat to pull off their best charlie chan impression circa 1962. like i can deal with offensive humor but it's not even fresh, it's just cliche drunk milton berle bullshit from idiots. i'm just going to play overwatch

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I played with two guys named "Camouflage" and "Awfully Big Marine"

I've never been happier

I had to google this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXKIBYnM_9Q

Wikipedia says it was popular in the UK but never charted in America. That checks out because I've never even heard of it.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I played a lot the first week after release and didn't hear anything besides the inevitable 'go home gi' at the end of rounds. That said any sensible persons default position would be to have voice chat off I would think.

For goon groups someone can always be nominated pubbie whisperer for cross species comms.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

My stats screen says 15% of my kills are with the PPSH.

https://streamable.com/zcioc

Checks out.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I hear people make fun of the "ENEMY IS ALMOST OUT OF TAM" and "WE AH TAKING FOKSTRO" lines pretty often but not all that much actual "Ching chong nip nong" racism, it sounds like some of you guys are getting really unlucky.

That and I found a really lively server that's close to me, so I get great ping at all times and like their first rule is "People with hateful, overly obscene or all symbols names will be removed" so :shrug:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've noticed that literally all servers once they get over like 50 people in them everyone's ping is like 150+, I seem to remember RO2 and RS1 having this issue too.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yardbomb posted:

I hear people make fun of the "ENEMY IS ALMOST OUT OF TAM" and "WE AH TAKING FOKSTRO" lines pretty often but not all that much actual "Ching chong nip nong" racism, it sounds like some of you guys are getting really unlucky.

I'm more of a YAAA guy myself.

Kenzie posted:

I had no idea this was a thing. At least when playing regular RO2, it always seemed like the guys who were the most aggressive were the ones who were the most effective. Like watching other people play it, on youtube or in spectator mode or whatever, I would see guys just sprinting around everywhere massacring the other team because they were quick on the draw and memorized the maps. The players who tried to move slowly and creep around and snipe people were usually not very effective, and would just get overrun or flanked and shot by one of those hyper-aggressive players.

I got RS2 a while ago and mostly suck at it, but I got a lot better after a few hours. I had a couple of really good rounds earlier, and the game is a lot of fun. I like it more than RO2 so far.

It really depends on the circumstances as to whether playing aggressively works in this game or not, but from my experience it's usually better to be more conservative unless you manage to get behind or inside of a group of enemies, at which point go nuts.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Basticle posted:

I've noticed that literally all servers once they get over like 50 people in them everyone's ping is like 150+, I seem to remember RO2 and RS1 having this issue too.

This is Tripwire. For some reason, their games (even just six-man-shoot-zombies Killing Floor 2) has horrible ping no matter what you do or where you are. I had a server in Missouri (right next to me) with a minimum ping of 90+.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

boner confessor posted:

god drat it i wanted to like this game but as soon as i joined a server it's all CHING CHONG CHING CHONG on the voice chat so basically i turned it off and i'm a confused getting shot forever guy who gets no kills and does nothing useful. and i've played red orchestra before so i'm used to that but it would be nice to know whats going on without constant idiot racism piped into my ears

loving gamers ruin games. god drat it

I was on one server where people were doing that and another guy said "well at least you're not a jew. that would be bad."

turn off the TV posted:

It really depends on the circumstances as to whether playing aggressively works in this game or not, but from my experience it's usually better to be more conservative unless you manage to get behind or inside of a group of enemies, at which point go nuts.

Yeah I've played this game a total of 7 hours now and I think I've been having more luck when I started trying to be more sneaky. So far my best kill streak was when I was just lying still behind some rocks and putting flanking fire down the American lines as they ran toward the objective and I killed 10 of them in a row with my AK.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

boner confessor posted:

just some random server. as soon as we team switch to the ARVN side every mouthbreathng sisterfucker rushes to voice chat to pull off their best charlie chan impression circa 1962. like i can deal with offensive humor but it's not even fresh, it's just cliche drunk milton berle bullshit from idiots. i'm just going to play overwatch

You say you turn off voice chat and then keep complaining about voice chat. I've got mine off and never feel like I'm missing out on important information so I don't understand what your problem is.

Consider playing with goons in mumble instead of solo that way you can still ask questions and communicate with people. It's kind of the point of this thread. You'll feel a lot better about the game.

Otherwise whatever bye felicia.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They really need a "mute everyone but commander" button, that would solve like %95 of the problems with this game.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Don't you have to pay for mumble?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hamlet442 posted:

Don't you have to pay for mumble?

It uses servers so if those are being hosted somewhere the channel's owner has to pay for it, but the program itself is free.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You say you turn off voice chat and then keep complaining about voice chat. I've got mine off and never feel like I'm missing out on important information so I don't understand what your problem is.

:confused: i didnt turn off voice chat and it's unfortunate because people use voice chat to be unfunny cretins? it's not like my posts were poorly written or difficult to understand. i want to like this game but it's ruined by the playerbase

this is why i never cared to play call of duty or any other hugely popular online shooter, i dont want to listen to a teenager musing about other people's mothers and penises. it's odd that this same problem happens for a much smaller game, i guess because it's just a miltary shooter? i dont even remember it being this bad in other red orchestra games but i guess i just got unlucky

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 17, 2017

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you do good in this game you feel like a badass but most of the time at least I have no idea how I died!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

:confused: i didnt turn off voice chat and it's unfortunate because people use voice chat to be unfunny cretins? it's not like my posts were poorly written or difficult to understand. i want to like this game but it's ruined by the playerbase

this is why i never cared to play call of duty or any other hugely popular online shooter, i dont want to listen to a teenager musing about other people's mothers and penises. it's odd that this same problem happens for a much smaller game, i guess because it's just a miltary shooter? i dont even remember it being this bad in other red orchestra games but i guess i just got unlucky

The option is there to just turn off all voice chat.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

boner confessor posted:

So uh turn off voice chat? I have it enabled in order to troll people and 95% of the time it's completely useless, and the other 5% of the time is getting a two second head start before your commander artilleries you.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 17, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

The option is there to just turn off all voice chat.

obviously, but this is a poor solution for a team based game. it's either dont coordinate and just stumble around deaf or work with your good teammates while the bad teammates participate in the white power amateur comedy hour. im not blaming the devs or the game for this problem, i'm just griping about how terrible gamers are

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

boner confessor posted:

obviously, but this is a poor solution for a team based game. it's either dont coordinate and just stumble around deaf or work with your good teammates while the bad teammates participate in the white power amateur comedy hour. im not blaming the devs or the game for this problem, i'm just griping about how terrible gamers are

Lol if you think that people are actually coordinating in voice chat

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

Yeah it's not ideal obviously but if you like the game play well enough you can get by. I play solo myself and the only person who has ever been useful to listen to is the commander and even then it depends on the commander. Really hoping they put in a "mute all but commander" button and that would be the ideal solution.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Popete posted:

Yeah it's not ideal obviously but if you like the game play well enough you can get by. I play solo myself and the only person who has ever been useful to listen to is the commander and even then it depends on the commander. Really hoping they put in a "mute all but commander" button and that would be the ideal solution.

yeah. it must be my biggest problem is the only shooter i've been playing recently is overwatch and combined with the toddler ui and small team sizes it's super easy to ignore jackasses when they start arguing over who hosed who's mom more tenderly. i'm just an old man i suppose, i only get so much time to game and i'd rather it not be filled with rambling manchildren

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Find and favorite servers that ban people for excessive poo poo like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I think I need to spray random suppressing fire a whole lot more. I always forget that this game has wall penetration and suppression. A while ago I got a double headshot by just spraying randomly toward the enemy. I had no idea they were there and yet I still hit two heads with one bullet.

boner confessor posted:

This is an ultra violent historical military game, so of course it's gonna attract loads of people with violent, militaristic, fascist ideologies. Milsim and grognard-ish games seem to attract a lot of those types as well, but Red Orchestra is like a perfect game for them. You can play as a nazi and run around killing people and blowing their limbs off. It's not a milsim so you don't have to put much effort into learning to play, and it's not super casual either and has a more or less realistic and authentic feel to it, so you can satisfy your white male rage and nazi bloodlust.

I usually don't play online shooters either but this game is too much fun to pass up just because of assholes on the internet are playing on the same server as you. You can also kill them and make them mad, which is a bonus. And most of the time people are quiet and just play the game without being annoying anyway, at least in my experience. Most of the time, nobody ever coordinates or talks to each other and they just run around on their own trying to get kills.

• Locked thread