Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Right, which is why I'm baffled that these are being thrown at low-level workers to begin with. I can't see a legitimate reason for these to exist in such cases except to be used selectively against certain workers for retaliatory purposes.

It is so they can gently caress workers who don't know better, like 99% of things that impact poor people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I thought the Amazon warehouse workers sued due to that clause in their contract and the whole thing was found to be unenforceable. But I guess not. drat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Boywhiz88 posted:

I thought the Amazon warehouse workers sued due to that clause in their contract and the whole thing was found to be unenforceable. But I guess not. drat.

Probably in California.
In any event, unenforceable doesn't mean poo poo until you get sued, hire a lawyer, and win which detera low wage workers from leaving for a $1 and hour plus less sexual harrassment.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Right, which is why I'm baffled that these are being thrown at low-level workers to begin with. I can't see a legitimate reason for these to exist in such cases except to be used selectively against certain workers for retaliatory purposes.

It's only an empty threat if the worker knows enough about labour laws to know its bullshit, which they likely do not. Not to mention the costs of litigation as the above posts mention.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They're being thrown in in most cases because that company has proper non-compete clauses that make sense for high level employees that actually have legit useful knowledge you might seek to protect. Like, say, at a fast food place, a it would make sense for some six figure making lead food researcher/chef sort of person who's responsible for coming up with new menu items and has access to proposed new menu items. Because if they jumped ship to a competitor they could scoop the original company.

Then for whatever reason some higher up dude demands the non-compete clause be brought to all their workers, and so some cashier who has no particular important knowledge for a competitor is subject to it too.

Boywhiz88 posted:

A ton of non-compete clauses that get put in contracts are poorly written and not actually enforceable, as the scope of what can be enforced is pretty narrow.

MiddleOne posted:

It's only an empty threat if the worker knows enough about labour laws to know its bullshit, which they likely do not. Not to mention the costs of litigation as the above posts mention.

Yeah but on the other hand the ones that apply to low level workers in like a warehouse or fast food are just going to get ignored by the person who got fired.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
It's not about protecting IP, it's about making your employee dependent on their job and unable to work elsewhere which drives down churn and depresses wages.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

cowofwar posted:

It's not about protecting IP, it's about making your employee dependent on their job and unable to work elsewhere which drives down churn and depresses wages.

Yup, and companies don't even have to go after every employee who jumps ship. Just make an example of one and the rest will know they aren't bluffing.

Here's the article on this I was looking for:

quote:

Keith Bollinger’s paycheck as a factory manager had shriveled after the 2008 financial crisis, but then he got a chance to pull himself out of recession’s hole. A rival textile company offered him a better job — and a big raise.

When he said yes, it set off a three-year legal battle that concluded this past week but wiped out his savings along the way.

“I tried to get a better life for my wife and my son, and it backfired,” said Mr. Bollinger, who is 53. “Now I’m in my mid-50s, and I’m ruined.”

Mr. Bollinger had signed a noncompete agreement, designed to prevent him from leaving his previous employer for a competitor. These contracts have long been routine among senior executives. But they are rapidly spreading to employees like Mr. Bollinger, who do the kind of blue-collar work that President Trump has promised to create more of.

The growth of noncompete agreements is part of a broad shift in which companies assert ownership over work experience as well as work. A recent survey by economists including Evan Starr, a management professor at the University of Maryland, showed that about one in five employees was bound by a noncompete clause in 2014.

Employment lawyers say their use has exploded. Russell Beck, a partner at the Boston law firm Beck Reed Riden who does an annual survey of noncompete litigation, said the most recent data showed that noncompete and trade-secret lawsuits had roughly tripled since 2000.

“Companies of all sorts use them for people at all levels,” he said. “That’s a change.”

I don't think this is just company legal departments being lazy or throwing the clauses into all new contracts for the hell of it. It looks like they're testing the boundaries of what they can get away with to see if they can make this poo poo "the new normal."

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

cowofwar posted:

Yeah for IP protection it's a non-disclosure about trade secrets etc. I think I'm technically still under one of those :v: but it basically means I can't tell anyone about how x product was made, which is pretty fair really.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

nm posted:

It is so they can gently caress workers who don't know better, like 99% of things that impact poor people.

There are also a hell of a lot of poor people just plain desperate for a job - any loving job at all - that they'd probably sign away their first born if it meant making $9/hour. As soon as the Great Recession hit and millions of jobs evaporated a hell of a lot of American companies really took the thumbscrews as hard as they possibly could to unskilled workers. Now that things are actually picking up a bit they're trying their damnedest to keep the screws tight.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Having been involved in the crafting of these contracts, I think 99% of the time for startups at least it literally comes down to there being extra cost and no upside whatsoever for companies to have different contracts for low-level employees vs. executives. You won't get in trouble for demanding someone's first born son in a contract, it's just not enforceable, it's extra effort to make and especially track multiple versions, and then you need to worry about things like "what if a low level person gets promoted to the point where a non-compete is legitimate?"

The same thing happens with literally every business contract - whoever initially proposes asks for the moon and it's whittled down. The only problem is for employment contracts specifically the new candidate usually doesn't have the knowledge, resources or power to do any real negotiation.

I don't want to downplay the shittiness of it, but it's absolutely done out of laziness / cost control than any malicious intent.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 14, 2017

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Non-competes should only be legal if a company is willing to pay either your former salary or your prospective new one (the higher of the two) for the duration they prevent you from working. Want to keep someone off the market? Fine, but you gotta pay up.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
You would think lawyers would be making a killing on contingency for some of these iffy non-compete contracts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Panfilo posted:

You would think lawyers would be making a killing on contingency for some of these iffy non-compete contracts.

Eh there's not a lot of penalty judgements to extract out of them when they're really stupid, like fast food cashier non-competes.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

enki42 posted:

I don't want to downplay the shittiness of it, but it's absolutely done out of laziness / cost control than any malicious intent.
Perhaps we could change the calculation a bit. Right now the worst case thing that happens is the same thing that happens if this stuff isn't in the contract to begin with.

If the non-compete is not only unlawful, but the employer asserts that it is anyway, then perhaps there could be an explicit penalty of sorts.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

enki42 posted:

Having been involved in the crafting of these contracts, I think 99% of the time for startups at least it literally comes down to there being extra cost and no upside whatsoever for companies to have different contracts for low-level employees vs. executives. You won't get in trouble for demanding someone's first born son in a contract, it's just not enforceable, it's extra effort to make and especially track multiple versions, and then you need to worry about things like "what if a low level person gets promoted to the point where a non-compete is legitimate?"

The same thing happens with literally every business contract - whoever initially proposes asks for the moon and it's whittled down. The only problem is for employment contracts specifically the new candidate usually doesn't have the knowledge, resources or power to do any real negotiation.

Want to agree with this and with an outsider reductive observation/opinion where if a company gets burned once the legal countermeasure ends up as a subsection paragraph in most similar contracts in the land in short order. Lawyering is so painful boring that when something interesting happens it echoes around the community in half a second. Corporate legal drift just leans and leans and leans employees until it gets pushed back.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah it's solely a "gently caress you" provision. Because of course the workers could always just not sign or negotiate so it's not burdensome :downs:

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Uber, when your company starts to crack, don't try plugging those cracks with the ever-growing stack of court orders.

Uber rape victim sues Uber, says execs got her medical records

quote:

Doe's new complaint (PDF) says that Eric Alexander, Uber's then-vice president for business in Asia, went to Delhi and "managed to obtain Plaintiff's confidential, private medical records generated by physicians who examined her after the brutal rape."

The complaint goes on to allege that Alexander shared the records with Kalanick and Emil Michael, an Uber executive who was fired earlier this week. According to the complaint, the men "discussed the records among themselves and with other staff at Uber, speculating that Plaintiff had made up the brutal rape in collusion with a rival of Uber in India to undermine Uber's business."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

that's a chilling thought, because fyi that's how laws work in police states

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

that's a chilling thought, because fyi that's how laws work in police states

quote:

AARON MATÉ: Now, you spent time with the—with the poor and vulnerable and people of color, who have been targeted by this system. There was one case of a man in New York, who lives in Bed-Stuy, standing outside of his home who was arrested. Can you take it from there?

MATT TAIBBI: Yeah, sure. I was in a law office in Brooklyn, and I was actually waiting to speak to a lawyer about another case, when I met this 35-year-old African-American man, a bus driver. And I asked him what he was there for, and he told me that he had been arrested for, quote-unquote, "obstructing pedestrian traffic." And I thought he was kidding. You know, I didn’t know what that meant. And I asked him to show me his summons, and he pulled out a little—little piece of pink paper, and there it was. It was written, you know, "obstructing pedestrian traffic," which it turns out it meant that he was standing in front of his own house at 1:00 in the morning, and the police just didn’t like the way he looked and arrested him.

It's arguable that traffic laws work the same way, in that there are so many on the books that almost every driver technically breaks a few every time they travel from point A to B. If a cop wants to pull you over to search your car or harass you in some way all he has to do is follow you for a few blocks and you're almost guaranteed to give him a reason to stop you.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

axeil posted:

Yeah it's solely a "gently caress you" provision. Because of course the workers could always just not sign or negotiate so it's not burdensome :downs:

Yep, and it's being justified as protecting trade secrets or some crap even though most of those industries don't really have such things. Also the numbers are staggering

quote:

Yet Starr’s survey research suggests that tweaking the criteria may have a limited effect on how often the agreements are signed. In California, where noncompete agreements can’t be enforced, 19 percent of workers have signed one, he said. In Florida, where the agreements are easily enforced, the share is the same: 19 percent.

19% is an insane number of people with non-competes, especially since they are places like Jimmy Johns or home health care agencies.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/05/27/noncompete-clauses-jobs-workplace/348384001/

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Amazon buys Whole Foods for $13.7 billion.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/875711786028347396

lol holy poo poo

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

the whole company was almost named relentless

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

This is essentially Amazon's business plan, has been for a while, and the only question is whether they run out of money before they establish their monopoly on all commerce.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does Amazon qualify as a Zaibatsu at this point?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Swipe right for science: Papr app is ‘Tinder for preprints’

Look, I just wanted to post that name here.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Just in case the previous posts weren't clear enough:

https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=relentless.com

Contact Information
Registrant Contact
Name: Hostmaster, Amazon Legal Dept.
Organization: Amazon Technologies, Inc.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 8102, Reno NV 89507 US
Phone: +1.2062664064
Ext:
Fax: +1.2062667010
Fax Ext:
Email:hostmaster@amazon.com

Admin Contact
Ext:
Fax Ext:

Tech Contact
Ext:
Fax Ext:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Baby Babbeh posted:

This is essentially Amazon's business plan, has been for a while, and the only question is whether they run out of money before they establish their monopoly on all commerce.

Uh, I don't think Amazon is in danger of running out of money any time soon. Or am I misreading this?

Edit: Also, remember those Amazon boxes they were touting a few years ago? This would be a good way to buy footprint in a ton of urban areas to place those. Lots of efficiencies if you reimagine the Whole Foods as a local distribution center rather than as a grocery store that does delivery.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kind of. It's just saying that they are expanding to take over all of commerce and only total, catastrophic bankruptcy will stop them.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

An economic event severe enough to bankrupt Amazon will leave us not caring what happens to Amazon.

An anti-trust action is (barely) more likely.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Doc Hawkins posted:

An economic event severe enough to bankrupt Amazon will leave us not caring what happens to Amazon.

An anti-trust action is (barely) more likely.

It's more likely in Europe than in the US.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Sign up for prime and get a mystery box full of discount rack produce each month shipped to your house.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

cowofwar posted:

Sign up for prime and get a mystery box full of discount rack produce each month shipped to your house.

Will it be rotting like spud.ca

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Good christ, as if the current prepub systems weren't corrupt and abused enough.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

Good christ, as if the current prepub systems weren't corrupt and abused enough.

*tucks self in bed* Tell me a story about that, Uncle Vox! :kiddo:

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

*tucks self in bed* Tell me a story about that, Uncle Vox! :kiddo:

Same. Way too keyed up over a video game, please let's hear about corruption in academic presses.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Sometime when I'm not several days behind on a writing project, sorry. I was more referring to user system abuses of citation, productivity measures, and ArXiv, anyway.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 17, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Discendo Vox posted:

Sometime when I'm not several days behind on a writing project, sorry. I was more referring to user system abuses of citation and ArXiv, anyway.

Oh, vixra fixed all of arxiv's problems. :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, vixra fixed all of arxiv's problems. :v:

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:smaug: