Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Is Startropics 2 good? I played the original for the first time on the Wii U VC last year and liked it. When I looked at the second it seemed to have a less cool setting. I was hoping 2 would get released on the 3ds so I could play it traveling but it seems to have never been released there.

it definitely plays better imo, the setting is time travel which means it's not as focused as the first game's sci-fi archipelago, but it's still pretty fun.

there are some agonizing sections though, like the frigging monkey maze or the wild west prospecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ok, someone else?

Digital Foundry did a test on it, since it's a multiplat game, so it's ideal for a benchmark of sort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP1ErZ8YuzQ

Long story short: It's OK for what it is.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Are they for real with this -

quote:

Within the port range, enter the starting port and the ending port to forward. For the Nintendo Switch console, this is port 1 through 65535.
I'm thinking about picking up Arms but if it really needs that, I'm not going to be able to get online.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Startyde posted:

Are they for real with this -

I'm thinking about picking up Arms but if it really needs that, I'm not going to be able to get online.

Its not necessary, they are just really bad at telling people what ports to use

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Full list of upcoming Nintendo Switch games that are true exclusive, defined as a game that is planned for release on the Switch and no other platform:
  • Arms (16-Jun-17)
  • Splatoon 2 (21-Jul-17)
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (29-Aug-17)
  • Pokkén Tournament DX (22-Sep-17)
  • Battle Sports Mekuru (Q3 2017)
  • Runner3 (Q3 2017)
  • Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase (Q3/Q4 2017)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (27-Oct-17)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Q4 2017)
  • Bit Boy! Arcade Deluxe (2017)
  • Monopoly (2017)
  • Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch(tentative title) (2018)
  • Untitled Kirby game (2018)
  • Untitled No More Heroes game (2018)
  • Untitled Yoshi game (2018)
  • GORSD (TBA)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (TBA)
  • Untitled Pokémon game (TBA)
  • Seasons of Heaven (TBA)
  • Swap Fire: Season 2 (TBA)

Instant Sunrise fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 16, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Flashback remastered is already out on steam and consoles and has been for awhile and its not very good from what i remember and no where near the original.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Why does Pauline live in a city that memorializes her abuser?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

eonwe posted:

Its not necessary, they are just really bad at telling people what ports to use

Is there a list of what games use which out there?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I was playing ARMS and my right joycon just stopped working entirely. Like it's not taking any inputs, not reading any punch motions, it's just dead- but the light on it is still on.

Any advice? I have no idea what caused this.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

Full list of upcoming Nintendo Switch games that are true exclusive, defined as a game that is planned for release on the Switch and no other platform:
  • Arms (16-Jun-17)
  • Splatoon 2 (21-Jul-17)
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (29-Aug-17)
  • Pokkén Tournament DX (22-Sep-17)
  • Battle Sports Mekuru (Q3 2017)
  • Runner3 (Q3 2017)
  • Soldam: Drop, Connect, Erase (Q3/Q4 2017)
  • Super Mario Odyssey (27-Oct-17)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Q4 2017)
  • Bit Boy! Arcade Deluxe (2017)
  • Monopoly (2017)
  • Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch(tentative title) (2018)
  • Untitled Kirby game (2018)
  • Untitled No More Heroes game (2018)
  • Untitled Yoshi game (2018)
  • GORSD (TBA)
  • Metroid Prime 4 (TBA)
  • Untitled Pokémon game (TBA)
  • Seasons of Heaven (TBA)
  • Swap Fire: Season 2 (TBA)
Don't forget fire emblem warriors!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So I was playing ARMS and my right joycon just stopped working entirely. Like it's not taking any inputs, not reading any punch motions, it's just dead- but the light on it is still on.

I don't have any advice but oh no :(

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Disconnect and reconnect via the controllers menu.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Call Nintendo if restarting doesn't fix it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Restarting fixed it thankfully.

Also got me a perfect on the final boss so it was worth it??

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Fritzler posted:

Don't forget fire emblem warriors!

That's also on the New 3DS, thus not actually exclusive.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

aware of dog posted:

I think after Mario Party 2 and 3 they had a lot fewer of those "spin the joystick as fast as you can!" mini games. Personally I'll only get another MP if they get rid of that garbage team system that 9 and 10 used.
I thought they got rid of all those minigames after Mario Party 1? Specifically I remember the blisters on my palms playing MP1 and then with MP2 that didn't happen.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think that just because a franchise has a very loose canon doesn't mean they can't add a little depth to it, especially as far as RPGs, which are more story intensive as a rule, go.

Maybe I should've expressed it clearer back there, but I wasn't trying to say that you can't add depth or story telling to the old characters. I was just providing several reasons and constraints for why they may choose not to do that for the main cast, and why they'd go with original characters. It could work either way, honestly. I hope that's more clear.

chaleski posted:

SPM is criminally underrated

I agree. The gameplay had problems, but in they did a lot to play around with their main new mechanic which was pretty cool to see and it was integrated very well. The story lacked the usual ensemble party, but it still had a lot of cool unique setpieces, and surprisingly good characters, and had lots of good humor.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ventana posted:

Maybe I should've expressed it clearer back there, but I wasn't trying to say that you can't add depth or story telling to the old characters. I was just providing several reasons and constraints for why they may choose not to do that for the main cast, and why they'd go with original characters. It could work either way, honestly. I hope that's more clear.

Okay, I see that now. I do want to stress I respect your opinion, for the record. I hope I made my own point effectively enough.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

If you like really hard games, Has Been Heroes is it at least starting out. I'm just barely pulling this off against bosses so far.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Played Arms for a bit, the game paired me against someone far better than me and then took away 25% of my health bar because I was on a winning streak :lol:

Also Reddit is making GBS threads themselves because apparently you can get random upgraded Arms from drops, this apparently kills any chance of it being truly competitive and has already caused some of them to delete their save files after getting an upgrade they don't want.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

inferis posted:

Rape culture.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I can definitely see why they lock ranked behind the level 4 grand prix. I can't even clear the first round, I feel like it's gonna take some practice.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

inferis posted:

Obviously all the Kong characters were named after locations in New Donk City, not the other way around

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It is interesting how New Donk City is entirely populated by humans, with nary an ape to be seen. A history of settler colonialism, perhaps. The DK Incident was maybe just one last desperate attempt at resistance before being forced out in a Trail of Tears situation

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They built it on top of an Indian Ape Burial Ground

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

lelandjs posted:

Played Arms for a bit, the game paired me against someone far better than me and then took away 25% of my health bar because I was on a winning streak :lol:

Also Reddit is making GBS threads themselves because apparently you can get random upgraded Arms from drops, this apparently kills any chance of it being truly competitive and has already caused some of them to delete their save files after getting an upgrade they don't want.

Haha. They announced that if you get duplicate drops it'll upgrade it. I assumed that was disabled for ranked mode though. What's the justification for deleting a save file though?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

nobody tell them that the upgrades on your ARMS don't carry into ranked

puking pentagrams
May 6, 2017

I think I'm gonna pick up ARMS tonight based on these here forum posts. Any negative reasons to not buy the game?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

puking pentagrams posted:

I think I'm gonna pick up ARMS tonight based on these here forum posts. Any negative reasons to not buy the game?

Honestly it's Splatoon 1's situation again and that's the main negative. It has a small amount of content in it right now and getting the arms you want is extremely grind heavy and luck based.

Other then that I don't have any real issues with it personally. Gameplay flow is fun and I like using the motion controls which is a first for me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's more of a boxing game than fighting game so if I it don't like those then maybe don't buy. The single player is light but the online is really good and more than makes up for it.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

The main negative is that it's not a good game.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

I played it for like 30 minutes during the demo weekend, only with motion controls. Gameplay was bad. Do not buy this turd of a game. Unless you like turds of course.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What's the deal with the world in Odyssey? Does Mario go to another world or is it the same one Mushroom Kingdom is in? What if you can go to Isle Delfino?

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

EpicNemesis posted:

I played it for like 30 minutes during the demo weekend, only with motion controls. Gameplay was bad. Do not buy this turd of a game. Unless you like turds of course.

Tbh I impulse bought it and felt the same until I abandoned motion controls. Now I love this game. So that's my story.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

LethalGeek posted:

If you like really hard games, Has Been Heroes is it at least starting out. I'm just barely pulling this off against bosses so far.

Good news: it gets harder as you unlock stuff.

Which is fine, because you the player get better from experience.

The fact that the opposite style gameplay (spend time to unlock things to make your character inherently more powerful so the game gets easier) is more popular in roguelike-likes makes me sad.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

EpicNemesis posted:

Somebody get good this fool

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Somebody get good this fool

okay

EpicNemesis posted:

git gud (games)

i like arms

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I tried playing Arms with a controller and I couldn't wrap my head around it at all. Motion controls make sense and are cool and good.

[Edit: the control scheme seems designed badly on purpose. The punches should be triggers, dodge and jump A/B, and special the bumpers.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 17, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ok, someone else?

Hahah. This pretty much says it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo