Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Zeris posted:

Back in the day you used to be able to murder anyone you wanted as long as you were stronger than them or had a bigger club or a meaner pet dinosaur. Back in the good ol' paleo days. Everything was organic, natural, simple. I guess what I'm saying is this gun / police derail in the current events thread ends here; I have a probation in the chamber and 8 more in the magazine. Go ahead and reach for that wallet. I'm feelin' a-frightened.

*stands perfectly still with my hands up, but conspicuously, flagrantly, and willfully failing the paper bag test*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

If you change 'purposefully infiltrating' to something covering the fractional Ben diagram overlap between white supremists, people who wanna be John Wayne and shoot someone but aren't racist, and the type of people who aspire to be law enforcement you'll go from dumb conspiracy theory to statistical correlation to the American police force

There is a legitimate "correlation" between law enforcement and racist political structures at the local level, it's not a conspiracy theory.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821185&goto=newpost

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
people in general are really stupid

https://twitter.com/NBCNewsHealth/status/875767891316137984

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Those are poisonous?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I'm gonna argue people with dementia don't really count

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

M_Gargantua posted:

Those are poisonous?

Eat one and see what happens.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the NBC affiliate in CT is refusing to air the Alex Jones interview, mainly because of sandy hook

kinda crazy

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Not so sure "kinda" crazy is the best phrase to use related to Alex Jones. There may have been a time where it was an act but he's gone totally off the deep end at some point.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the NBC affiliate in CT is refusing to air the Alex Jones interview, mainly because of sandy hook

kinda crazy

Plot twist, it's an NBC owned affiliate.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

kinda crazy

Connecticut... good?

On Wednesday I had to try to convince a competetant radiological engineer (our group mentor) that sandy hook wasn't a false flag by the government. I failed. We're all in the middle of the Idaho scrubland (contracting for the government, who would have thought) for the summer and these are some of the most professionally competent engineers I've gotten to work with but holy hell are they fans of conspiracy

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Vengarr posted:

Still people, still legally adults, still likely stupid before dementia.

It's literally taught to you as a child to question where you got whatever before you stuff it in your mouth. Even if your parents are mouth-breathing Texans, the kindergarten teachers will get to you. Beyond that, you're a goddamn idiot if you're stuffing random poo poo in your mouth.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

maddow opened with the navy collision

uss fitzgerald looks hosed up. damage both over and under the waterline. 2 tugs and the uss dewey are enroute. 1 sailor medivaced out. 7 unaccounted for, no word if they checked the engine room

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 17, 2017

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vengarr posted:

i know dementia makes you batty but does it really impair your ability to tell that you have a mouthful of soap?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

How the gently caress do you run into a container ship 56 miles out to goddamn sea :psyduck:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hey is hekk at sea again

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Bolow posted:

How the gently caress do you run into a container ship 56 miles out to goddamn sea :psyduck:

They didn't keep up on their reading

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0870334336/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bolow posted:

For what it's worth, it looked like the collision happened with the container ship's front and the destroyer's side, so who knows who is at fault.

I mean, other than the Destroyer's Captain who probably won't be Captain much longer :v:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Big sky theory doesn't work in the sky, I can only imagine how much worse it is in 2 dimensions

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

mike pompeo might've squealed

jfc

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

facialimpediment posted:

For what it's worth, it looked like the collision happened with the container ship's front and the destroyer's side, so who knows who is at fault.

I mean, other than the Destroyer's Captain who probably won't be Captain much longer :v:

Isn't the cardinal rule that the larger ship always has the right of way? So when you get t-boned by a container ship in a smaller, more maneuverable vessel...uhhh...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

jfc

In what capacity?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

jfc

what where when?

I mean, I sort of fingered him because he doesn't seem very rah-rah and seems to very much want to be a CIA company man. He also looked really queasy at a hearing I remember.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

IIRC Law of the Sea dictates you yield to the larger vessel because they can't maneuver easily

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

he was sent a letter by one of the committees to report anything, due date of june 9th. no letter was sent.

feinstein just publicized her request for witnesses to grassley. he's not listed on it, or any other witness requests so far (it's a very extensive list)

no one wants to talk to him

it's just conjecture, maddow set a segment aside for it, just saying it was interesting. makes a lot of sense though.

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 17, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Bolow posted:

IIRC Law of the Sea dictates you yield to the larger vessel because they can't maneuver easily

Because of the implication

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Mueller didn't get fired did he? Senator Schiff just published a statement saying that congress will appoint an independent council to reinstate Mueller because this poo poo will not stand and they are done with Trump. I'm very confused.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

"I'm growing increasingly concerned that the President will attempt to fire not only Robert Mueller, the special counsel investigating possible obstruction of justice, but also Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein who appointed Mueller.
"The message the President is sending through his tweets is that he believes the rule of law doesn't apply to him and that anyone who thinks otherwise will be fired. That's undemocratic on its face and a blatant violation of the President's oath of office.
"First of all, the President has no authority to fire Robert Mueller. That authority clearly lies with the attorney general—or in this case, because the attorney general has recused himself, with the deputy attorney general. Rosenstein testified under oath this week that he would not fire Mueller without good cause and that none exists.
"And second, if the President thinks he can fire Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein and replace him with someone who will shut down the investigation, he's in for a rude awakening. Even his staunchest supporters will balk at such a blatant effort to subvert the law.
"It's becoming clear to me that the President has embarked on an effort to undermine anyone with the ability to bring any misdeeds to light, be that Congress, the media or the Justice Department. The Senate should not let that happen. We're a nation of laws that apply equally to everyone, a lesson the President would be wise to learn."

gd feinstein going ham

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Mueller didn't get fired did he? Senator Schiff just published a statement saying that congress will appoint an independent council to reinstate Mueller because this poo poo will not stand and they are done with Trump. I'm very confused.

hes been saying that since it was first reported.

rumors are going around that trump is done and is gonna saturday night massacre the senior judicial people but who the gently caress knows thats been the case all week

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Feinstein's next trick should be to resign/die/disappear into portal.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
0 to Nixon in five months, godspeed Donald

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Isn't the cardinal rule that the larger ship always has the right of way? So when you get t-boned by a container ship in a smaller, more maneuverable vessel...uhhh...

the law of gross tonnage.

However, there isn't really such a thing as right of way out on the water. That implies that one vessel has the ability to act as they want.

Instead one vessel is required to maintain course/speed as the stand on vessel and the other has the duty to give way and move. The navy ship was struck in the starboard side. This means they were on the port side of the merchant ship when the crossing situation first occurred. If that's what happened, they were the give way vessel and should have drove behind the tanker.

My personal guess is this: the crash happened around 2 am. Depending on how they set up their rotations the bridge watch was either in the last hour or the first hour of their watch. They were groggy and complacent and weren't paying attention. The merchant ship, being the stand on vessel would have just maintained course and speed. The watch on the navy ship hosed up and didn't move soon enough and by the time they reacted it was too late to avoid collision.

The OOD is fuuuuuuuucked.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's 2017. We don't have systems that throw up a bunch of warnings when one ship is on a collision course with another?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Woof Blitzer posted:

Feinstein's next trick should be to resign/die/disappear into portal.

imagine if this was Feinstein's purpose all along, to protect us from Donald Trump

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Nice! posted:

The CAPTAIN is fuuuuuuuucked.

Ftfy

Also the general rule of avoiding military vessels because navy vessels are assholes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

It's 2017. We don't have systems that throw up a bunch of warnings when one ship is on a collision course with another?

We do, and someone likely hit ignore on it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Because of the implication

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

what happens to all the enlisted dudes when poo poo like that happens

does everyone get dropped or something

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

M_Gargantua posted:

Ftfy

Also the general rule of avoiding military vessels because navy vessels are assholes

Oh the captain, XO, and navigator will all probably be unemployed.

The OOD was the one in charge of the ship. Short of them being grossly underqualified, they are hosed bad because they're responsible for what happened. I don't know that there would be any actual criminal charges levied against them, but depending on the exact circumstances, they personally are responsible for 7+ dead sailors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
They were just following the new America first protocols.

• Locked thread