Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Cartoon posted:

I was surprised by how vicious and personal the reaction was and curious to see if it was echoed here

Hahaha, ok sure, good point. The response to Red doesn't seem nearly as viscious or as personal.

Look at how pedestrian covered it, they had one article (as opposed to 3), and called it a "Questionable - if not outright problematic - take on race"

This is for a guy who straight up asked an Asian woman if she was yellow, hosed up some language, and said "alleged" black face. It got less than 20 comments, some of which called him a moron, some Of which were 'meh'

But when a woman says that a publicist asked how big a lift was, she's a feminist hating, victim blaming, fat shaming, disgusting, appalling, despicable c*unt.

... did you do that deliberately?

Edit - goddamnit new page and a new day let's not do this again

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Red Symons has always been a dumb clown and he will be dead soon, plus doesn't own a media company.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Recoome posted:

I guess I don't have any specific examples, but I guess we know now that Red Whatisname has bad opinions on ethnicity?
Not really (maybe a bit figjam but hey), a bit, and kind of

-/-

And now we have gone meta and I'm out.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3822492&userid=114399

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I love you Cartoon. We should make out.

Is what I would have said if you didn't give up the joke so early. No stamina.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Just got a copy of the UQ Alumni magazine. What amazing nuggets of wisdom/hot takes will be present in this issue!!!

I tremble with anticipation

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

the front cover has the text "When the war is over. The Victoria Cross here lighting the way for struggling veterans. The picture is the VC winner Roberts-Smith against a glass window reflecting the UQ main building. The dude has a :thunk: expression and is wearing a very nice suit and apple watch.

e: LACK OF CAPITALISM IS LEADING CAUSE OF GLOBAL INEQUALITY

Recoome fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 17, 2017

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Recoome posted:

LACK OF CAPITALISM IS LEADING CAUSE OF GLOBAL INEQUALITY

Worth it just for that imo

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Recoome posted:

Like old irrelevant guy has extremely poo poo opinions in hot take shocker

I honestly missed the whole Mia thing but I'm completely shocked that a white feminist has really poo poo opinions

Line between red pillers and woke bros getting thinner.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

open24hours posted:

I would like to know more about your drive-by post right here

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

I'm completely shocked that a white feminist has really poo poo opinions

Look at this loving post. A guy literally saying that he expects certain opinions to be really poo poo based on gender* and ethnicity.
And not even having the integrity to articulate a position against any of the opinions.

Do you loving hear yourselves, sort it out Jesus Christ.

* yes I know feminisim doesn't always correlate to gender but in this instance the intent was pretty clear

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 17, 2017

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
nice meltdown

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Recoome posted:

I would like to know more about your drive-by post right here

:itwaspoo:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Nice critical thinking
Nice casual misogyny
Nice bandwagoning
Nice acceptance of thorough public shaming absent of any actual serious crime

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

open24hours posted:

You say this but the Tele unwittingly wedged the moralising right and the loving Whirlpool forum Gamergaters with Overwatch waifus or whatever.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Extremely good to wake up and discover Mia Freedman's horny son has continued his meltdown into day 4

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hobo Erotica posted:

Look at this loving post. A guy literally saying that he expects certain opinions to be really poo poo based on gender* and ethnicity.
And not even having the integrity to articulate a position against any of the opinions.

Do you loving hear yourselves, sort it out Jesus Christ.

* yes I know feminisim doesn't always correlate to gender but in this instance the intent was pretty clear

Nice meltdown

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Is Hobo the poster who was down with refugees building and living in their own shanty town in remote WA? Or Am I getting them mixed up with another old poster with terrible opinions?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'm the forums poster who came down in the last shower and has no prior exposure to white feminism, TERFs, or milquetoast centrists

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Is Hobo the poster who was down with refugees building and living in their own shanty town in remote WA? Or Am I getting them mixed up with another old poster with terrible opinions?

Given the global scale of the refugee crisis, I think that Australia has a chance to take millions rather than thousands. "Smash the people smugglers business model and stop deaths at sea" by actually going over and getting them ourselves. Just north of Perth seems as good a place as any to do it. And I think they should be as involved as much as possible in the construction and operation of the new settlement because they have skills and using them is good an important

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tokamak posted:

shanty town in remote WA?

hey perth isn't THAT bad ok

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

I'm the forums poster who came down in the last shower and has no prior exposure to white feminism, TERFs, or milquetoast centrists

Hi Mia.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I know a lot of full on feminists that don't want trans women in their grill and my hot take is "fair enough".

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

JBP posted:

I know a lot of full on feminists that don't want trans women in their grill and my hot take is "fair enough".

why is that fair enough?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yeah gently caress TERFs.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

news.com.au posted:

‘Apex thugs’ knocked out in viral video

A VIDEO posted to social media purporting to show two men in a street fight with a group of “Apex thugs” has gone viral.
The 10-second Snapchat video, titled “Goodnight Apex: Sudanese thugs get decked”, was first uploaded to YouTube by far right-wing group Party For Freedom Australia on Wednesday.
“Two Aussies defend themselves in a fight against four Sudanese in Beaumont Street, Hamilton, 11th June 2017,” reads description of the video, which was filmed at the intersection of Beaumont and Cleary Streets in Newcastle, opposite The Kent Hotel.

The Apex Gang is believed to be behind a series of carjackings, home invasions, assaults and robberies in Melbourne over the past year. Despite the gang being reported as predominantly of Sudanese origin, Victorian police say it is made up of “Australian-born offenders”.
There have been no reports of the Apex Gang being in Newcastle and there is no evidence that the men in the video are members of the gang, police say.
According to the Party For Freedom website, the fight broke out at about 1am on Sunday. “The Sudanese troublemakers were drinking in the Hotel Kent verbally abusing patrons while trying to start fights with anyone in the hotel,” it says.
However, news.com.au understands this version of events is incorrect, and that the four men were never inside hotel itself as they had previously been banned from the venue.
Although the video claims to show the “Aussies” defending themselves, the video itself only shows footage where the “Aussie” men appear to be the aggressors.
Chief Inspector Terry Burns from the Newcastle Police said officers were called to an alleged brawl outside the Oasis Food Court on Sunday morning “involving a number of males”. “Two males were still on the scene when police arrived, however all other parties had left,” he said.
“The two males were being treated for minor facial injuries. At this stage we’re still appealing for people to assist us with the identity of a number of persons that were involved in the fight. Inquiries are ongoing. We’ve released the CCTV and we’re confident we will obtain their identities.”
No one has yet been charged over the incident. “We’ve actually appealed for them to come forward before we knock on their doors,” Insp. Burns said.
Party For Freedom Australia was founded by controversial anti-Islam campaigner Nick Folkes, and first gained attention in 2015 with its presence at Reclaim Australia rallies. The group is known for its anti-immigration and anti-multiculturalism views.
Mr Folkes was branded “extremely rude” by Sky News host Andrew Bolt after about 10 members of the group stormed a service at the Gosford Anglican Church last August wearing Arabic-style dress and shouting slogans through a loudspeaker.
Earlier this year, Mr Folkes appeared on the SBS show The Truth About Racism, hosted by Muslim activist Yassmin Abdel-Magied. He later claimed the show was “hijacked”, branding it a “stitch-up from the get-go”.
The video, which has been viewed nearly 45,000 times, has attracted a large number of racist comments too offensive to be published here.

This video was posted on fash propaganda page and run with the fact that it was Apex gang despite police saying that this is completely false and is calling the people beaten up the victims.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I really don't want to have to keep doing his but can someone please explain the relevance of the trans straw you're clutching at now

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Hobo Erotica were you also the guy who said that sharing religious traditions with your children was child abuse?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

racing identity posted:

Hobo Erotica were you also the guy who said that sharing religious traditions with your children was child abuse?

Don't remember that specifically. Think I may have talked about Ken Ham's lectures at one point, where he was lying to kids about what evolution is?

Who the gently caress are you and what have you contributed beyond the pathetic poo poo you've posted recently?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Hobo Erotica posted:

Who the gently caress are you and what have you contributed beyond the pathetic poo poo you've posted recently?

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I R O N Y M I R R O R

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

why is that fair enough?

I'm not a woman and by that I reserve my opinion on feminism.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I R O N Y M I R R O R

Are you guys always this stupid or does getting called out on your poo poo set you off somehow?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
so what did mia freedman actually do/say to trigger all this crap in the first place? i remember seeing something in the news about someone being fat and then next thing there's 300 unread posts in the AusPol thread

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Hobo Erotica posted:

She interviewed Roxanne Gay, an author who was promoting a book called 'Hunger: a memoir of my body'. It deals with the experience of being a fat person in the world. Buying 2 plane seats, etc. As part of the introduction, she disclosed that Gay's publicist had asked unique questions in the lead up to the interview - such as the distance to the studio, and notably, how big the lift was and whether there was a goods lift.
The author took to twitter to express her displeasure, and everyone picked up on it and has pounced on Friedman with what feels like an unsettling level of glee.

(Despicable, shameful, appalling, oval office monster who betrays women etc.)

If Gay's weight and the impact that has on her experience in the world was some kind of secret, rather than being the the purpose of her being there, it would be one thing, but it wasn't. And people are attacking Friedman in really nasty and personal ways, and I'm trying to understand it.

Seems like it's echoed here.

Since then, I've just tried to figure out why people think she's so horrible (Turd of a human, shithead, etc). No one has actually been able to present a coherent argument with the possible exception of maybe some questionable industrial arrangements.

This is the article that seems to sum up the reaction which posters in here seem to stand by: http://junkee.com/roxane-gay-mia-freedman-outrage/108573

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 17, 2017

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

JBP posted:

Hi, I actually am a trans woman.

There is a marked difference between what I hope you're alluding to here and who's actually being described with the term 'TERF'. I can understand the concept of wanting to focus the narrative of protests and such on cisgender women; I don't agree with being left out in the cold so to speak, but I can conceptually agree with not wanting to muddy a narrative if you're pushing for something specific.

TERFs are not that, although they may hide behind that. Generally, TERFs disagree that trans women are even women, hence the 'E' standing for 'Exclusionary'. To them trans women are at best confused, at-average mentally ill, at worst predators in waiting, and in all cases not legitimate. And frankly, gently caress those people.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Freedman sucks and is a neoliberal faux feminist arsehole.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
if you think not paying your labour is mere "questionable industrial arrangements" drink acid thx bye

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

JBP posted:

faux feminist arsehole.

Citation loving needed you mansplaining buffoon

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Hobo Erotica posted:

So being a Neoliberal is suddenly OK?

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 17, 2017

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/mia-freedman-criticised-for-comparing-gay-people-to-paedophiles-20141016-117dvl.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

if you think not paying your labour is mere "questionable industrial arrangements" drink acid thx bye

It's not uncommon in digital media. If you want to write and get your name out there, cool, they can publish it.. It's questionable, I'm not defending it too hard, but now they pay everyone, as well as having a huge staff of fully employed women.

• Locked thread