Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

sounds like you mashed two northern realms netdecks together and then complained that your deck was too big, but in 300 words.

You enter turn three of R1 you now have two support dudes having sweet synergy for your machine. There's a bear on board but you don't care you have armour thanks to the support, but the opponent just played a x-men.

You do have a ballista in hand, but sadly the wrong one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

I'm gonna kill the bear!

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

No Wave posted:

People still don't know how to form their own opinions on cards, so adapting is a tall order. Avallach is now everywhere for no real reason when he should only really be in mill or arguably axemen at this point. I don't mind, it's fun either way.

Avallac'h is just an all around good card. He is basically a 10strength gold unit for free. He is even better in decks that can thing, increasing their gold and silver draws. And yea, he is really good in Axeman or any deck that doesn't mind you playing more units, because sometimes you playing more units is a good thing.

He is one of the best gold cards in the game because he is a neutral. Hell, he might be the best gold card in the game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Another post that I totally disagree with, but again, we'll see in a few weeks.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

ShowTime posted:

Avallac'h is just an all around good card. He is basically a 10strength gold unit for free. He is even better in decks that can thing, increasing their gold and silver draws. And yea, he is really good in Axeman or any deck that doesn't mind you playing more units, because sometimes you playing more units is a good thing.

He is one of the best gold cards in the game because he is a neutral. Hell, he might be the best gold card in the game.

yeah in tw3:twh he was the best card in the game i agree

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

ShowTime posted:

Not sure? You want Avallach for longer rounds not so much for extra units, unless you're playing mulligan ST, so you can mulligan the bad cards you drew from avallach away.

He is fun, but right now I wouldn't run him unless the deck really needs it because you're just handing out a victory to Skellige for allowing extra bear swipes, weather hits, and x-men buffs.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
10 points for a gold is a bad deal you idiots.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

it is an absolutely massive deal when they're not conditional and the effect helps your deck more than your opponent's

like vanilla geralt is an obvious noob trap, but think of all the round 2s or 3s where 10 unconditional points on a gold would've won you the game

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I think cyprian is really good now to deal with axemen, it banishes them even when there's a bear out but bear is still the biggest issue rn in gwent

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

10 points for a gold is great if that gold also draws you stuff that helps your deck strategy, which it does for many decks. Any deck that wants to swarm the board or have your opponent swarm the board. Axemen, Monster Consume, NR Reavers, Mulligan Scoia'Tael, and Nilfgaard Spies are all popular decks that want to play as many units as possible or have their opponent do the same. The only deck it might not be good in happens to be the best deck at the moment, which is Crach.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm trying to play an ambush deck and it's totally preposterous that the enemy can pass at any time to basically force u to -2 cards when the backbone of the deck is a 7 strength bronze

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

steakmancer posted:

I'm trying to play an ambush deck and it's totally preposterous that the enemy can pass at any time to basically force u to -2 cards when the backbone of the deck is a 7 strength bronze

Well there is your problem. You are playing Ambush. The only good ambush card is Toruviel, which people play against because it's basically the only good ambush card you expect to see. The one that flips and does damage is OK. Play them when you are ahead to stay ahead. If you are behind, your opponent can pass and you are still behind.

Ambush will probably get looked at and changed in someway, so one day it might be good and playable.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

ShowTime posted:

10 points for a gold is great if that gold also draws you stuff that helps your deck strategy, which it does for many decks. Any deck that wants to swarm the board or have your opponent swarm the board. Axemen, Monster Consume, NR Reavers, Mulligan Scoia'Tael, and Nilfgaard Spies are all popular decks that want to play as many units as possible or have their opponent do the same. The only deck it might not be good in happens to be the best deck at the moment, which is Crach.

Agree completely but calling NG Spies a popular deck is a bit excessive unless we're all playing under rank 8. :)

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
It's definitely not good against everyone but a consume deck absolutely wrecks the Skellige discard decks. Especially since I added a few of the griffins that move people between graveyards.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If your deck is so small and gets to do what it wants basically every game, does that just reduce the game to match-up wins or what.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

If your deck is so small and gets to do what it wants basically every game, does that just reduce the game to match-up wins or what.
More or less, but more options every turn means more potential for misplays. You'll still regularly make game-losing mistakes if you don't play all the time, which is kind of fun.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Ambush just needs more options.

They don't have to bring back poo poo like closed beta Ciaran but they need more than the lady who hurts stuff and toruviel and 3 not so great bronzes that occassionally make your opponent waste a lock on them if they even BOTHER to lock an ambush card

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kawabata posted:

Agree completely but calling NG Spies a popular deck is a bit excessive unless we're all playing under rank 8. :)

It is popular, but that doesn't mean it's good. If we were just talking about the most played decks that are also good, we'd only be talking about Crach. Calveit will always be popular and Emyhr is seeing renewed interest specifically because of Avallac'h. People really like playing Avallac'h, turning him silver, playing him again off Emyhr, playing him again off Decoy, then Assire him back into the deck and playing him again off drawing him. In all card games ever, people like drawing more cards.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Up Circle posted:

Ambush just needs more options.

They don't have to bring back poo poo like closed beta Ciaran but they need more than the lady who hurts stuff and toruviel and 3 not so great bronzes that occassionally make your opponent waste a lock on them if they even BOTHER to lock an ambush card

there needs to be an ambush card that get +15 when it is locked

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

ShowTime posted:

In all card games ever, people like drawing more cards.

yes but mainly when they're the only ones drawing them

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
if both players draw a card, the advantage goes to you. this is why coldlight oracle is a top tier card in hearthstone and every deck runs it. It absolutely doesn't mean you have chosen to replace one of your precious gold slots for a card that is on average slightly better than a randomly generated bronze card.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

if both players draw a card, the advantage goes to you. this is why coldlight oracle is a top tier card in hearthstone and every deck runs it. It absolutely doesn't mean you have chosen to replace one of your precious gold slots for a card that is on average slightly better than a randomly generated bronze card.

Right. Because we effectively net the same cards, but mine come with a 10str gold and I stacked my deck around anticipating using the card, so my draws are generally better. My deck things itself out, increasing my chances to draw better cards.

Avallac'h is a good card.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I am fiddling with that nekker/harpy deck idea and man it's very...hit and miss. You need the absolute perfect opening hand otherwise if you never draw a nekker & nekker warrior then you'll never really get to play & combo the cards.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ShowTime posted:

Right. Because we effectively net the same cards

No, because you spent a card and the other guy didn't.

Your cards: Spend 1 + Draw 2 = +1 card and 10 strength

His cards: Spend 0 + Draw 2 = +2 cards and 0 strength

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

yeeeaaah card advantage in hs isn't like card advantage in gwent though, hth

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

this argument only works in hearthstone where u have the opportunity to use your mutual draws first because you can play more than one card at a time

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is the person Vilgefortz is burning on his card supposed to be Regis?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What are peoples thoughts on Stefan Skellen? I pulled an animated one earlier and it looks pretty but the card seems a bit odd? Like a mini(?) Calveit?

Similar question on Draug, I'm trying to figure out the impact on this guy for something like a Wild Hunt frost deck, adding more damage to thin things out seems pretty cool but he's a 12pt swing, am I getting this right?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

RatHat posted:

Is the person Vilgefortz is burning on his card supposed to be Regis?

Yep.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
similar question why does fringilla vigo have the best loving premium card ever

Regular card too!

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Avallach is good because you play it in a deck that wants long rounds (weather and axemen for example) and you build your deck so that the draws won't disrupt your game plan. If you make your opponent draw foglets and crones and shieldmaidens and poo poo while you draw cards that are always good and/or get better as the game goes on, it's almost but not quite card advantage.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
My dream is to one day make an all-bird monster deck with Zoltan Animal Tamer chilling in there as a capstone gold.

CDProjekt Red please let this happen.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Facing 3-5 bears every match sure is awesome.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Even though I've never managed to get the mythical Letho and the Dimeritium Bomb in a hand together, I really really like Letho just by himself. He can gently caress up so many elaborate plans halfway through on either side of the board.

Locks/banishes in general seem the most important thing to have now.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
That Skellige panda deck is too good. I'm basically on autopilot and climbed several ranks. 100% chance it's getting nerfed.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

dipwood posted:

That Skellige panda deck is too good. I'm basically on autopilot and climbed several ranks. 100% chance it's getting nerfed.
The panda deck? Do elaborate?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
why am i not running the cow against skelliggers

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are the cards you get in lieu of ore/scraps during the daily progression ever anything better than commons?

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

why am i not running the cow against skelliggers

Why didn't I think of this first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

dipwood posted:

You mean the Kambi one? Problem is it's really hard to win if your opponent saves a Dimeritium Shackle for Kambi.