Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Hamelekim posted:

Anyone know if this game will support hdr? Been thinking about getting an hdr monitor later this year but games have to support it. I know the latest version of unreal does support it.

If any game would be made better with hdr it would be this one. People should be easier to see due to contrast and colour changes in hdr.

If you are basing the purchase of a new HDR monitor on the support of an early access game like this I dont think you are approaching this decision appropriately.
I wouldn't be worrying much about HDR right now for PC use, it's not going to see significant enough adoption in the near term to warrant selecting a monitor on this alone. Many other features are way, way more important because they are key features in use right now. High refresh rate, IPS or AH-IPS, gsync and ultra wide aspect ratios are way more important decision points right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

rage-saq posted:

If you are basing the purchase of a new HDR monitor on the support of an early access game like this I dont think you are approaching this decision appropriately.
I wouldn't be worrying much about HDR right now for PC use, it's not going to see significant enough adoption in the near term to warrant selecting a monitor on this alone. Many other features are way, way more important because they are key features in use right now. High refresh rate, IPS or AH-IPS, gsync and ultra wide aspect ratios are way more important decision points right now.

I already have a 75hz adaptive-sync 21:9 3440x1440 IPS monitor, so that isn't an issue for me. Although I have an nvidia card, so the adaptive-sync isn't much use.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

fargom posted:

LMAO when people get mad at joshOG, he is pretty fun to watch. Get over skin gambling nerds.

How about he's a trash scammer who deserves a black mark, not a 'oh he apologised it's okay'. Dude promoted gambling sites to children, whilst misrepresenting the risk and odds because he was a stakeholder in said gambling site. He doesn't respect his audience nor does he deserve it, the consequences for that kind of conduct shouldn't just 'go away' because he apologised.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Maluco Marinero posted:

How about he's a trash scammer who deserves a black mark, not a 'oh he apologised it's okay'. Dude promoted gambling sites to children, whilst misrepresenting the risk and odds because he was a stakeholder in said gambling site. He doesn't respect his audience nor does he deserve it, the consequences for that kind of conduct shouldn't just 'go away' because he apologised.

he could have just done the honorable thing and disappeared with all the money like phantoml0rd.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
But where are the parents you know? Should the streamers be the police dad vice principles of these hooligan gambling children?

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

joshog is trash because stoner culture sucks. weed itself is cool tho

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Figures that when I land the master loot, a house with multiple M16's and SCAR's and scopes and poo poo, the game crashes. :[

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

1st person should be THE standard mode in a game like this. The "I can see you, but you can't see me" approach to a competitive game is pretty drat stupid in my opinion.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

The more I play this game the more I realize 3rd person shooters are loving retarded. There is literally no skill involved in camping in a spot, "3rd personing" over a hill or something and wait for a good opportunity to kill someone.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

The more I play this game the more I realize 3rd person shooters are loving retarded. There is literally no skill involved in camping in a spot, "3rd personing" over a hill or something and wait for a good opportunity to kill someone.

I'm gonna go with the "play better, complain less", Thanks. You can also use 3rd person to your advantage, sure there's campers, but that's literally gonna be most shooters.

Also you can edit posts.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

VietCampo posted:

I'm gonna go with the "play better, complain less", Thanks. You can also use 3rd person to your advantage, sure there's campers, but that's literally gonna be most shooters.

Also you can edit posts.
I realize that. But it doesn't change the fact that everyone else is abusing the angle of third person. You'd lose immediate tactical advantage vs third person players.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

VietCampo posted:

Also you can edit posts.
Sorry about the tenth of a kilobyte your sat net had to use for the extra post.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Aw yea bad players complaining about being bad I love it

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
looool the loving "training servers" guy is complaining about third person now

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

have you tried getting good?

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Can we maybe stop being rude to people while discussing changes?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Can we maybe stop being rude to people while discussing changes?

Can you stop sucking at the game?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
lmao it is pretty incredible how the entire thread instantly recognizes that guy as being the custom server retard even when he talks about some other idiot topic

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Alas, it's a part of the game and you have to live with it. I'm personally not a fan and would love for a matchmaking option for forced FPS sessions.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Pretty much all the bad aspects of this game revolve around bugs that are probably being fixed soon, or the third person abuse. Think about every time you've found yourself sitting behind a tree in a standoff with someone else also behind a tree, sitting there for minutes at a time, or circling a house over and over because some guy is watching both sides with third person. We all rely on third person way more than we should, players on first person only servers are going to have to rely a lot more on aim and gun play experience, rather than who can find the thickest tree to hide behind for 10 minutes

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Are you as garbo at the game as you seem? I love that I'm potentially killing people as angry as you. GOTY don't uninstall please

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Everyone bitching about third person should know that first person only is already an option in custom games and at some point will be a mode you can choose for actual servers also. It will never be the default but it will be supported.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

rather than who can find the thickest tree to hide behind for 10 minutes

Noted tree hiders on top of the leaderboard are:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just picked this up, played a few rounds, had some fun. Find me on Discord

"Deadspin"

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Pretty much all the bad aspects of this game revolve around bugs that are probably being fixed soon, or the third person abuse. Think about every time you've found yourself sitting behind a tree in a standoff with someone else also behind a tree, sitting there for minutes at a time, or circling a house over and over because some guy is watching both sides with third person. We all rely on third person way more than we should, players on first person only servers are going to have to rely a lot more on aim and gun play experience, rather than who can find the thickest tree to hide behind for 10 minutes

I did think about that, then I learned to how to use the environment to break sight lines.
Sure they know I am behind the tree as well, but not how far behind the tree. They also don't know if I then moved away under the "Other stuff in environment" and started flanking.

If we assume there are 2 trees on flat terrain then it wouldn't really matter if it is 3rd or 1st person, either you watch both sides from behind the tree, or you both peek one side to cover one primary side while watching the secondary side in case they over peak.

Don't get stuck on cover.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cinara posted:

Everyone bitching about third person should know that first person only is already an option in custom games and at some point will be a mode you can choose for actual servers also. It will never be the default but it will be supported.
Really? Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Maluco Marinero posted:

I've watched streams of this game quite a bit and it really seems like the best strategy is to fight as little as possible. If you are constantly seeking fights you will pretty much never win. Am I wrong? I was thinking of picking this game up but if the winning strat is to be as passive as possible it seems like it would get old fast.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

Does it matter if you are rank 4,000 or 23,000 or 500? Who cares

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Dr. Carwash posted:

I've watched streams of this game quite a bit and it really seems like the best strategy is to fight as little as possible. If you are constantly seeking fights you will pretty much never win. Am I wrong? I was thinking of picking this game up but if the winning strat is to be as passive as possible it seems like it would get old fast.

Most of the better players constantly pick fights, they just know how and when. They are also way better at setting up ambushes, which can sometimes seem like 2 minutes of "avoiding fights"

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the winning strategy for me is too kill as many nerds as I can before I die then re-queue and do it again

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

LCL-Dead posted:

Just picked this up, played a few rounds, had some fun. Find me on Discord

"Deadspin"

Welcome to the game, it's alright. Be careful sharing any opinions that aren't about how great streamer x is.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Welcome to the game, it's alright. Be careful sharing any opinions that aren't about how great streamer x is.

How many rounds have you played?

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

WirelessPillow posted:

I did think about that, then I learned to how to use the environment to break sight lines.
Sure they know I am behind the tree as well, but not how far behind the tree. They also don't know if I then moved away under the "Other stuff in environment" and started flanking.

If we assume there are 2 trees on flat terrain then it wouldn't really matter if it is 3rd or 1st person, either you watch both sides from behind the tree, or you both peek one side to cover one primary side while watching the secondary side in case they over peak.

Don't get stuck on cover.

Whatever, two days ago in squad, we had one kill in total. Did we feel we were the best? No, we did the survival part abusing third person, but I'm sure there better teams out there who deserved the win more.. but they did not get rewarded for being out there and killing, because of the third person abuse.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How many rounds have you played?

250+

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Does it matter if you are rank 4,000 or 23,000 or 500? Who cares

Mate. You're the one who thinks the game is imbalanced towards camping and 'bad' play, when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. I dun' give a gently caress about where I am on the leaderboard, if I come out on top of a shotgun battle in a 4 person town I'm happy and I had a good time.

Dr. Carwash posted:

Passive works if you haven't got marksmanship, but it pretty much guarantees you'll be walking into the final circles with way worse loot than the competition, and you winning from there is essentially luck of getting the drop on them. Just play to kill, not to win, that way you'll actually be able to hit the shots when it counts for a win.

Whatever, two days ago in squad, we had one kill in total. Did we feel we were the best? No, we did the survival part abusing third person, but I'm sure there better teams out there who deserved the win more.. but they did not get rewarded for being out there and killing, because of the third person abuse.

Why on earth would you do this to yourself. Does your time just not matter to you?

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

Mate. You're the one who thinks the game is imbalanced towards camping and 'bad' play, when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. I dun' give a gently caress about where I am on the leaderboard, if I come out on top of a shotgun battle in a 4 person town I'm happy and I had a good time.

I'm not the one that brought up top of the leaderboard, buddy.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

I'm not the one that brought up top of the leaderboard, buddy.

My point is tree hiders aren't actually the ones winning all the games, so your conclusion that it's optimal is just wrong. Optimal in both a leaderboard sense and a have fun playing video games sense.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Hold on I can't hear what you're saying the door to this shack is closed, what?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Is it possible to interrupt the reload on the pump shotgun (or revolver I guess) part way to fight?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is it possible to interrupt the reload on the pump shotgun (or revolver I guess) part way to fight?

Change out the weapon or just shoot. (careful because the shotgun will need to pump first if you emptied it before reloading, I think that's how it works anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

My point is tree hiders aren't actually the ones winning all the games, so your conclusion that it's optimal is just wrong. Optimal in both a leaderboard sense and a have fun playing video games sense.

My conclusion is hardly wrong when your basing your rebuttal on players that can practice optimally. I'm talking about everyone else.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Holster then unholster.

• Locked thread