Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My ZIP drive was internal PATA. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Agrikk posted:

1gb SCSI attached Jaz drive supremacy

drat right. Two of those saved me hours every night for the offsite backups.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

RFC2324 posted:

Who remembers getting a 1GB drive and being baffled at how you were going to use all that space? :corsair:

More like being a little nipper and thinking how the hell am I going to move a bunch of files between two computers with nothing more than a fistful of 3½" floppy disks, plug n play usb drives were the dawn of new era.
I do vaguely remember cramming the minimum files for either Doom or Duke Nukem 3D on a single floppy to just about run.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mllaneza posted:

They saved me even more on restore time.

Mostly because you couldn't read anything off them

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Boogalo posted:

My ZIP drive was internal PATA. :smugbert:

Dell XPS supremacy

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
SCSI External SyQuest 88. Didn't wait for the disk to spin down all the way before you eject it ? Pretty good chance your data went :byewhore: !

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
My favorite thing about external SCSI of the era was that the port configuration was identical to parallel printer ports.

How many "broken printers" were there because it was cabled up to a SCSI card?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Not quite as old but I remember installing my first 4x cd ROM thinking need for speed was going to install so loving fast

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Not quite as old but I remember installing my first 4x cd ROM thinking need for speed was going to install so loving fast

I remember arguing with people over the SUPERIORITY of CD+R over CD-R.

It was always an annoying thing in hindsight.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Maybe it's an age thing, but I don't remember this issue with cd's, definitely with dvd's though

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

U hosed up son, CD+R didn't exist only DVD+R. If you gonna be a pendant get it right.

And yeah they were better. :ssh:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

spankmeister posted:

U hosed up son, CD+R didn't exist only DVD+R. If you gonna be a pendant get it right.

Pedant.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I remember reading an article about the revolutionary new WORM CD drives and thinking it would never catch on

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DVD-RAM 4 lyfe. They had a cool pattern on for some reason.

mewse
May 2, 2006

:trumppop:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

spankmeister posted:

drat, I'm loving up left and right. TGIF.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

RFC2324 posted:

I remember reading an article about the revolutionary new WORM CD drives and thinking it would never catch on

I remember sneering at people with their puny CD-R drives as I installed my brand spanking new CD-RW drive

Except pretty much nothing could read a CD-RW unless you finalized the session and made it nothing more than an expensive CD-R anyway. :pseudo:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You could still rewrite it, it just took longer.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah you could either burn to the orange book standard or use UDF I think. I spent far too much on a Plextor 16x CD burner because it worked really well for :filez:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wibla posted:

You could still rewrite it, it just took longer.

'Longer' in the case of my drive meant 'in the time it takes to reformat this disc, you could walk to the shops and buy a new blank CD'

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I remember sneering at people with their puny CD-R drives as I installed my brand spanking new CD-RW drive

Except pretty much nothing could read a CD-RW unless you finalized the session and made it nothing more than an expensive CD-R anyway. :pseudo:

The days when Nero Burning Rom was actually relevant.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I remember walking through Fry's as a little kid and seeing an 8x CD-ROM drive for like $800 and wondering why anyone would even need something that fast, and how they could possibly justify spending that much on it.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 17, 2017

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Oh my god I just got this joke

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CaptainJuan posted:

Now take a closer look at their logo:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

CaptainJuan posted:

God dammit

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Holy poo poo.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

God drat.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Fool posted:

Now take a closer look at their logo:

Seriously, how did anyone not get this? :psyduck:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I remember getting a copy of that free with my fancy 32x CD burner at costco, and thinking it was the bestest poo poo ever compared to the super lovely software bundled with all the other CD burners.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Volmarias posted:

I knew the pun was there but didn't know the story until I started mainlining the internet 8 hours a day.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Got a lovely escalation handed to my team from the helpdesk. "User can't log in to her laptop" was pretty much all the ticket said. Zero details; gently caress that. Kicked the ticket back down to the helpdesk for more information. Ticket comes back to us with the additional information that "user can't input from keyboard." Kick it back down again to have the helpdesk ask some really loving basic troubleshooting questions like "laptop keyboard or external keyboard? Reproducible with both?" etc.

Ticket comes back to us again saying basically that the user's video seems shot; at boot there's just gray bars across the screen for a second, then, nothing. OK, fine, helpdesk tech is retarded, whatever. At least we finally have something to go on. I dispatch one of my techs.

Dude arrives onsite to find the laptop screen has an obvious point of impact and radiant cracks across the display. Pretty much a "well, there's your problem" moment. User, of course, claims she has no idea how it happened.

I get that nobody wants to be yelled at or whatever for busting equipment. But A) my team isn't going to do any yelling because the customer owns the equipment, and B) a sheepish "yeah, I hosed up" earns you a grudging point or two. Liars just look like dumb assholes.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Lmao @ everyone only now getting the Nero joke.

Ofc when I was an idiot babby childe pirating games I didn't get it at the time either.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

I've got a 2 GB Jaz attached to one of my G4 Towers for no good reason now.

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

Got an escalation ticket from the helpdesk yesterday. New user says he can't print in color to his desk printer. The helpdesk tech walks him through five or six troubleshooting steps and carefully documents them all before kicking the ticket to us locally. I took a look and realized that the helpdesk tech missed a very important troubleshooting step.

The tech didn't notice that the desk printer was a B&W laser printer :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Super Slash posted:

More like being a little nipper and thinking how the hell am I going to move a bunch of files between two computers with nothing more than a fistful of 3½" floppy disks, plug n play usb drives were the dawn of new era.
I do vaguely remember cramming the minimum files for either Doom or Duke Nukem 3D on a single floppy to just about run.

The real answer was using ARJ with the setting that made it fit multi volume archives to the available disk space.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Posture Pal posted:

Got an escalation ticket from the helpdesk yesterday. New user says he can't print in color to his desk printer. The helpdesk tech walks him through five or six troubleshooting steps and carefully documents them all before kicking the ticket to us locally. I took a look and realized that the helpdesk tech missed a very important troubleshooting step.

The tech didn't notice that the desk printer was a B&W laser printer :v:

But the salesman said.....

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Who remembers getting a 1GB drive and being baffled at how you were going to use all that space? :corsair:

I remember my dad finally getting a new PC that I could install all of Baldur's Gate 2 on and enjoy blazing fast load times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
No more of the "Insert disk 4 of 16"

• Locked thread