Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ariong posted:

I'm curious what Mega Nuclear Arbok's front sprite looks like. I hope we get to see it, but if we're never going to, could you dig it out of the game files like you did for the nuclear shiny sprites?

I think the belly pattern may have gone too far, but what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

this is amazing

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Few things not brought up about that maze sequence :
1) the left/right door option where right door sends you into a horde nuclear battle which wastes a shitton of time
2)(and OFS really needs to show this off) The bad end if you lose to Curie

My team was in the low forties so this battle was really hard especially since I didn't have a steel type and you're very much locked into the area

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Guys I think this game might be bad

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Give me a stat buff big enough and a sweeper on which to stand and I shall super effective the Earth.

Or words to that effect, I suppose.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
From what I've heard while reading up on this game, (gameplay only, no story) you can start the maze again with a higher time limit. Except, sometimes, you reenter the northern sector and immediately time out again. I've also read that there are other bugs involving losing to forced encounters and then screwing up the progression. A good game :allears:

The whole thing with Theo supposedly suffering in stasis sort of reminded me of XY's Lysandre, especially at the end where depending on your version he either threatens to curse you and your friends with immortality, or just straight up kill everyone. I think the difference is, 1) unlike with CURIE we actually had quite a bit of time to get used to the idea of Lysandre coveting an ultimate weapon, instead of being hit with the edge out of the blue;

and 2) CURIE lays on the whole "I want to see you suffer" thing a little too thick. Paraphrasing from that earlier encounter: "Heed our demands or else you will all perish *inflicts instant acute radiation poisoning on a ranger* "This is your son? Yes, I will kill him in front of you to cause you great suffering!" "Let this be a lesson that an agonizing death awaits those who oppose us."

It's just a lot to take in so suddenly. The game has always had a dark tone, sure, with the threat of nuclear disasters fading in and out of the plot. But the late appearance of CURIE and their constant threats to murder everyone escalates it very high, and perhaps too abruptly.

(Edit to put up spoiler tags, just to be safe.)

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 17, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's cool that Theo can survive in this place without a power suit. Remind me again why shoving him into a nuclear reactor is a good thing for Curie?

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I forgot to mention this earlier but I'm here scratching my head over why is one of the true Nuclear-type Pokemon a Xenomorph.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

I will actually give Uranium one, extremely small, point for this: Overheat is vaguely thematic on a pokemon whose theme is basically Nuclear Disaster. Nuclear reactors get really, really hot. (That's how they generate electricity, in fact - heat and steam are used to turn turbines and poo poo, it's not some magical process where radiation turns into electricity.) Bad Things Happen when a reactor overheats.

It's more a small, tarnished brass button than a gold star, but I will give them a tiny amount of credit for that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Would this game be better or worse if the main villain was Homer Simpson causing nuclear disasters due to negligence?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Would this game be better or worse if the main villain was Homer Simpson causing nuclear disasters due to negligence?
You know drat well this game doesn't deserve that kind of perfection.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

It's cool that Theo can survive in this place without a power suit. Remind me again why shoving him into a nuclear reactor is a good thing for Curie?

They just like torture.

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

PMush Perfect posted:

You know drat well this game doesn't deserve that kind of perfection.

Exactly. That would be awesome.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

dungeon cousin posted:

I forgot to mention this earlier but I'm here scratching my head over why is one of the true Nuclear-type Pokemon a Xenomorph.

Fangame.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
One thing worth noting is that, so far, every single nuclear move that's been seen with the lone exception of Atomic Punch has had lower power compared to moves seen in other types (compare Radioacid to Scald, for example). And Atomic Punch has only been seen on something that isn't designed to be balanced to begin with (Urayne's BST of 678 is Mewtwo territory). They at least tried to balance it with lower power.

And then they hosed it up with Nucleon anyways.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009
So Theo has Super Cancer and/or like an hour to live now right?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The magic radiation eating pokkymen will save him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatface posted:

The magic radiation eating pokkymen will save him.

Knowing this game he'll be converted into one of them.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hammurabi posted:

So Theo has Super Cancer and/or like an hour to live now right?
He's forced to wear Lord of Titles Dick Solomon's Super Suit for the rest of his life to keep from dying

And they never made it more mobile so he's basically cosplaying as a glacier

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tunicate posted:

Knowing this game he'll be converted into one of them.

Better than he deserves :colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

rannum posted:

ORAS kind of did this with Sea Mauville and it worked better, though that also had the upshot of everyone writing those notes not being dead. Presumably.
The dude writing the notes is the same old guy who shows up once you get into the cargo hold, I'm pretty sure.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
You know, with Theo's exposure to the radiation without a hazmat suit or even a gas mask, my guess is that he's caught a new pokemon. The last one he'll ever get.

quote:

Twomerr - The uncontrollable growth Pokemon

Twomerr are found often in hospitals and near power plants, but are also easy to catch at beaches on sunny days. They multiply rapidly and can quickly overrun an area if not dealt with quickly. Once bonded with a trainer, it is very difficult to separate the two.

Type - Normal/Poison

Learnable Moves - Sludge, Harden, Bide, Glare, Toxic, Defense Curl, Recover, Growth, Double Edge, Self Destruct

I mean, as long as this thread and game are discussing edgelord fakemon, might as well go for anthropomorphic cancer. Though I doubt I'm the first to make one up. Gen1 moves cause that's the last one I played.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 18, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CzarChasm posted:

You know, with Theo's exposure to the radiation without a hazmat suit or even a gas mask, my guess is that he's caught a new pokemon. The last one he'll ever get.

I mean, as long as this thread and game are discussing edgelord fakemon, might as well go for anthropomorphic cancer. Though I doubt I'm the first to make one up. Gen1 moves cause that's the last one I played.
And it always has a Toxic-style Status that cannot be cured which persists outside of battle, which means you'll have to constantly heal it as you travel the region

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

In Pokemon Uranium nuclear reactors are powered by people.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
Why is Fallout affected by weaknesses?! Did they confuse Hail and Stealth Rock or something?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CzarChasm posted:

I saw that and thought you'd made a Weezing evolution. Don't get my hopes up like that. :smith:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Why is Fallout affected by weaknesses?! Did they confuse Hail and Stealth Rock or something?

What? 75% of all usable pokemon taking half their health in damage a turn is perfectly balanced, right?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kurieg posted:

What? 75% of all usable pokemon taking half their health in damage a turn is perfectly balanced, right?

How dare you question Pokemon Uranium's quality! I'll have you know it took nine whole years to create such a master piece. I bet you're some Nintendo shill trying to besmirch the good fan praised brand of Uranium.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Golden Goat posted:

How dare you question Pokemon Uranium's quality! I'll have you know it took nine whole years to create such a master piece. I bet you're some Nintendo shill trying to besmirch the good fan praised brand of Uranium.

Just like how Nintendo rushed out a major franchise entry and multi-million dollar game just to take the wind out of the sails of plucky little Uranium.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Pokemon Designer: Stealth Rock uses typing for entry damage which means it is hugely disruptive to competitive play, pushing some type combinations into unusability by that alone. Because of this, we have not designed any move that works like this ever since.

Uranium Designer: Here's Stealth Rock but it does damage every turn instead of entry and instead of being rock type damage it's super-effective against everything except Steel.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FYI within the span of one week Uranium game received over a million downloads while Sun and Moon managed to only distribute 3 milllion copies of it's game in the year and a half of it's release.

Clearly Nintendunce was scared of mighty Uranium pulling sales from it's casual trash game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is there any good reason Stealth Rock is still around? I never really got into competitive games, but it just struck me as one of the most unfun mechanics possible (in addition to making quite a few 'mons completely unviable).

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Is there any good reason Stealth Rock is still around? I never really got into competitive games, but it just struck me as one of the most unfun mechanics possible (in addition to making quite a few 'mons completely unviable).

Stealth Rock is inconsequential in Doubles and that's the only competitive format Game Freak has cared about for years now.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Golden Goat posted:

FYI within the span of one week Uranium game received over a million downloads while Sun and Moon managed to only distribute 3 milllion copies of it's game in the year and a half of it's release.

Clearly Nintendunce was scared of mighty Uranium pulling sales from it's casual trash game.

Three million? The joke doesn't work with fake numbers.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tae posted:

It's what was actually claimed in this video,

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tae posted:

:ssh: Sun/Moon also only came out eight months ago. I know it seems longer if you live in America or England, what with our countries being on fire, but...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

What the hell is this

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tae posted:

What the hell is this

A video made by a kid who fashions himself a game reviewer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

:ssh: Sun/Moon also only came out eight months ago. I know it seems longer if you live in America or England, what with our countries being on fire, but...

Yes but it's a year and a half of combined game-years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Uranium only reached that high a number because it was free. When Nintendo released a Pokemon game for free, it got 500 million downloads in two months.

• Locked thread