Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Season 36 title revealed (nothing else about the season) at this link:

http://insidesurvivor.com/survivor-season-36-title-revealed-28030

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

JesusSinfulHands posted:

G-g-g-ghost!?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Players will be able to consult with former allstars during the game somehow.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They're adding elements of legends of the hidden temple into it.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Max posted:

They're adding elements of legends of the hidden temple into it.

Insider info - I found a clip from the season of a contestant going hunting for idols:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z88OwYIJaME&t=1275s

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
At least we get two seasons in a row with all-new players. I cannot remember the last time we had that. Cagayan/SJDS maybe?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I love it. The only way it could be better is if it were Skeleton Island.
I'm not as worried about dumb themes as about casting, but all the recent newbie seasons have had good casting.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

spoopy

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
When you die in the game you die in real life :twisted:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Better name than season 35. CBS is really bad at marketing.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The lack of versus on a newbie season theme is in different at least

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
If that title's not based on a location or lore then I have no idea.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

They will redo the pearl islands twist and be "haunted" by the people they eliminate early on as a new ghost tribe.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Zesty posted:

Better name than season 35. CBS is really bad at marketing.
HHH is an awful name but they've done a decent job of naming recent seasons to be intriguing or at least clear about what is going on.

Good:
Millennials vs. Gen X
Second Chances
Blood vs. Water

Bad:
One World
Worlds Apart
Game Changers

Unofficial subtitle Brains vs. Beauty vs. Brawn is a mouthful but does a better job explaining the game than HHH.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Survivor 36 Confirmed Cast List

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

It took me a second...but....:drat:

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Inside Survivor just posted a leaked pitch document for a version of Season 30 involving returning players and the same subtitle of 36, which explains how the twist will probably work.

Not sure if we need to spoiler this, but just in case, some gut reactions to this twist:

I actually think it's a really neat idea. I see why they originally were going to use it with returnees, since it would be easier to keep a narrative on Ghost Island going if we only see them for 2 minutes a week but already know all of the Ghosts. But I actually am glad they are using newbies, because I think it would be heartbreaking to bring back returnees and almost a third of the cast doesn't even get to play.

Some tweaks I hope they make:
-10 Ghosts might be too much (even if they anticipate some quits), especially for newbies. 4-6 might be better.
-I don't really like the idea of entering the game on Day 37. I think re-entry at the swap and at the merge would be better times, and you could even have 2 Ghosts re-enter at the swap (one for each tribe) to increase the total number who get to return.
-The article ends with speculation that maybe this version will have the voted-out players also join Ghost Island, which I don't like and hope isn't true.

But I do like the idea of completely new players with no baggage joining the game part of the way through, and this is as good as any of a way to do it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

A lot of that sounds cool but you're right that Day 37 is bad. It's too late in the game and I can't recall anyone but Ozzy who returned from redemption island and wasn't pretty much DOA. I'm not sure coming in clean minus the Day 1 challenge loss would really make a difference. If they come in early and after a swap they might have a shot at building something.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Max posted:

They will redo the pearl islands twist and be "haunted" by the people they eliminate early on as a new ghost tribe.

I just finished rewatching Pearl Islands, and so this kind of thing was what jumped to mind for me, too. I would love it if they brought back the opportunity for the jury to play against players to keep them from winning immunity.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Agreed with the 'returning on day 37' part being awful. It seems like an advantage but it's basically a free goat. With Redemption Island you at least win your way to the end. On Ghost Island (lol) you... survive? And they have to take your word for it?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
None of that sounds cool. I'm absolutely against it. It's taking a stupid loving gimmick to the extreme.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
That's dumb as gently caress

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They already have trouble giving 20 people enough screentime, I doubt that idea would go better.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I wonder if they are taking a twist from Swedish version of survivor Instead of having redemption island where players fight 1v1 they just stacked players there for merge/day37 and had them to have huge challenge to compete in to get back to the game.

If a twist needs to be done then do it like in a another reality show we got called the Farm where the eliminated players were went to another location where they stacked to 3 players.
When a 4th player arrives then he/she would have to challenge one of the three players currently sitting there on the island for their spot on there.

The 3 players who are already currently living on the island will have to vote one of themselves for the challenge against the 4th player, but the same person can't do challenges back to back so if a person won the last Ghost challenge they would be immune for the next player who would come in.

At merge the 3 remaining players in ghost island will have a chance to come back by challenging each other.

I kinda wish they would take the former if it's gonna be a twist for redemption island.

Nexal fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 11, 2017

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

I really don't like Redemption as a concept because it devalues the importance of tribal council if a player could make it back into the game. Also with the recent seasons feeling so rushed, adding another element that has to be covered seems like a mistake.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dugong posted:

I really don't like Redemption as a concept because it devalues the importance of tribal council if a player could make it back into the game.

Except it also increases the importance of playing tribal council artfully so that you won't be in anyone's crosshairs if they return. I don't see how a hiccup in someone's strategies devalues the importance of tribal in the least.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Returning someone at day 37 is the absolute stupidest loving thing possible. "So, what did you do that makes it so you should win the game?" "Well, I lost a challenge, sat out literally the entire game in a shelter built by other people and didn't have to participate in exhausting challenges or difficult social situations, then in the final tribal I got brought along because the other players were more wary of people who actually played the game." It's a recipe for the best goat in existence or the worst winner due to spite voting in existence, neither of which are thing Survivor should be looking for.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'm thinking the same thing as you. At least Ozzy had played with the other people. A Ghost Island person coming in Day 37 wouldn't have even met anyone... 2-3 days total in a 39-day game, they'd have no chance to win, they'd be resented, it's pointless except to gently caress some other existing player by giving a number to someone else. And even coming in at the merge, if it's just one person, then you basically brought out 10 extra people who wouldn't get to play despite never being voted out, only to let ONE of them back in the game in a potentially meaningful way. Some sort of "Ghost Island" gimmick could be okay but the one in that document just sucks and is pointless.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

lmao

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Redemption Island would have been cool in Game Changers because it would have meant Malcolm had a chance to get back in the game. Also Sandra, but I highly doubt she'd have won any duels.

On the other hand, it would have meant that Varner would have still been in the game after he was voted out, so maybe we should count our blessings.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
For those who were interested in watching Survivor New Zealand, while the pacing is still a bit off, it looks like the gameplay is actually avoiding some pitfalls that I thought might hit first timers. This most recent episode... Avoided the easy Pagoning that looked like was coming for awhile and completely mixed things up with people turning on each other. Looks like the back half of the game will be a big mess now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Modus Pwnens posted:

When you die in the game you die in real life :twisted:

Jeff: "We found this out about halfway through the season. Eighteen contestants were dead by that time. May they rest in peace."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the jeff narration for that would be great tbh

This season, the stakes are higher than they've ever been. For the first time in Survivor history, fire doesn't just represent your life, it is your life.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

the jeff narration for that would be great tbh

This season, the stakes are higher than they've ever been. For the first time in Survivor history, fire doesn't just represent your life, it is your life.

[Jeff Voice]
This season, Survivor is changing the game. 18 all new castaways are coming to the island, but there's a twist. All are deathrow inmates who have exhausted their appeals. Instead of a million dollars, our castaways are playing for one thing only, their life. All new challenges more exhausting and dangerous than ever. No more hidden immunity idols, a new twist are hidden shivs, where you can remove a player at tribal council without a vote. And at the end, one castaway will be taken off the island and back into normal society. This season, the stakes are higher than they've ever been. For the first time in Survivor history, fire doesn't just represent your life, it is your life. Now get ready for Survivor: Judge, Jury, and Executioner. [/Jeff Voice]

[Conch Horn Noise]

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
[Jeff Voice]
After thirty-six seasons, people think they know Survivor.
(cut in clip of contestant: "I know there's a Hidden Immunity Idol out there, and I'm going to find it.")
(cut in clip of Cochran: "Jeff, can you call me by my last name?")
(cut in clip of some other contestant: "My goal is to not get my torch until the merge.")
They even think they know to expect us to mix things up.
(quick series of Jeff saying things from previous season, all along the lines of 'another twist' and 'changing things up' and 'this is NOT the merge' and such like)
Everybody knows that in Survivor, fire represents your life.
(quick series of Jeff saying 'fire represents your life' and 'come in and get fire')
This year, that will be more true than ever before.
(quick cut to shot behind a contestant, can't make out any features. Jeff is facing the contestant, and hence the camera. Contestant is holding torch in the traditional 'snuff out your torch' pose. Jeff says: "Your tribe has spoken" and racks the slide of a 1911.)
36 castaways will be thrust into the most dangerous season of Survivor yet. Some are looking to prove themselves.
(quick cut to a young, good-looking man with a tan and swim trunks. "I feel like I can overcome any obstacle.")
Some are looking for an experience most people can only dream of.
(quick cut to an older man. "I've hunted elk, bear, lion, even bagged an elephant, but there's one more trophy I've always wanted.)
And some are looking for redemption.
(quick cut to a hard looking man, covered in prison tats. "They said I can stay on death row, or I can come out here, and I figured, why the *bleep* not?)
On a deserted desert island, they'll have to find the tools to protect themselves.
(quick cut to a contestant frantically digging and looking around, before pulling out a wrapped leather bundle. Opening it, there's a revolver and two shells.)
If they can't, they'll have to improvise.
(quick cut to a contestant sharpening a spear.)
Otherwise, they may find their game cut shorter than they every imagined.
(quick cut a burly man advancing on a smaller one. Burly man is holding a machete, and yelling about 'I know you ate two bananas! There was one banana for everybody!' He swings the machete, and the camera cuts to a reaction shot from the bystanders.)
In the ruins of an abandoned penitentiary, there will be no immunity, no hidden idols, and no exile island. And when your tribe votes you out, you lose more than your torch.
(cut to Jeff standing on a top of a rusty guard tower.)
36 castways! 35 unmarked graves! One million dollars, and one sole survivor!
(logo slams in: Survivor: Battle Royale)
oh-we-oh-we-oh-we-oh-way-yaaaaaahaaaaaaaa!

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

:five:

Good off-season so far

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
It isn't off-season, Survivor NZ is running. I hope Barb wins.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ApplesandOranges posted:

Redemption Island would have been cool

No

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There is no redemption for redemption island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I had a silly idea to a redemption island like twist that would be purely for the network's benefit. Have the vote-out's run a loser's bracket for a much-reduced prize (like maybe only $100k). Everyone eliminated pre-jury goes to RI and either has the whole ghost tribe thing going on, or the string of 1-on-1 duels to retain the sole spot.

And here's where it's for CBS's benefit...air the redemption island content exclusively on CBS All Access. This way, CBS gets to get more footage out of the early boots, the sanctity of he game and the importance of getting voted out of the main tribe(s) is preserved, CBS can monetize the extra content, and if you hate the first boots or the entire concept you can neatly avoid it entirely.

• Locked thread