Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Imagine wanting to die on a hill for a neoliberal shithead like Mia Freedman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Hobo Erotica posted:

Citation loving needed you mansplaining buffoon

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...45ffa65c3275402

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Hobo Erotica posted:

It's not uncommon in digital media. If you want to write and get your name out there, cool, they can publish it.. It's questionable, I'm not defending it too hard, but now they pay everyone, as well as having a huge staff of fully employed women.
So, your argument is that it's fine to be poo poo if other people are poo poo too?

Why are you so obsessed with Mia Freedman?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

We don't choose who we are attracted to. This is not wrong or controversial. Her clumsy phrasing does not make her a faux feminist. The whole network is emphatically pro queer.

Cartoon posted:

So being a Neoliberal is suddenly OK?

Not necessarily, but unlike everything else there has actually been a shred of a citation offered for that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
And of course this gem:

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/05/06/mamamia-defends-10000-charity-auction-priceless-unpaid-internship

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

No one here gives a poo poo about Mia. She's not poor, she's not downtrodden, she sticks her foot in her mouth with alacrity, and she does not practice what she preaches. Outrage crusade fail.

One Nation senator Peter Georgiou helps Sri Lankan 457 visa holder get residency

quote:

A West Australian One Nation senator has distanced himself from one of his party's main policy platforms by stepping in to assist a 457-visa holder secure permanent residency.

Sri Lankan man Edwin Asariyas, has been working as an electrician in Kalgoorlie in WA's Goldfields since 2011.

Last month the 57-year-old's application to stay in the country was rejected.

Senator Peter Georgiou intervened, arranging a meeting with the Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection Alex Hawke, and Mr Asariyas was yesterday granted permanent residence.

The move is out of step with his party's stance that Australians should be prioritised over foreign workers when it comes to local employment.

But Senator Georgiou, a sparky himself, said this was a special case.

"We had a good look at the facts and the circumstances surrounding Edwin's case," Mr Georgiou said.

Yes but this is a good one. Still, I'm rating it as :unsmith: because Pauline and James are nowhere near it.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Holy poo poo, thanks for looking for outrage here HE, I didn't care before, but she's pretty awful and should probably be told to get hosed.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
What's even the point of a One Nation politician who doesn't hate immigrants?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Futuresight posted:

Considering their policies are just contradicting stances on free markets/protectionism, not much. Anti-immigration is the only policy platform One Nation seems to be consistent on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cartoon posted:

So being a Neoliberal is suddenly OK?

Literally this. Hobo is a milquetoast small business job creator respector.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Futuresight posted:

I think many have expected some kind of split down the line, maybe not like this. It's interesting that WA PHON is doing its own thing which might tarnish the brand a bit, or even better lead the way in other states.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

JBP posted:

:drat:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

We did this days ago and it does not pass mustard. Read the original Column.

JBP posted:

I don't care who it is i just want the arguments to makes sense.

She raised $10k for charity?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Ignoring the rebuttals people are making because she isn't the worst offender or isn't the only offender or isn't making bad decisions in a vacuum doesn't make your argument any more compelling.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

/\/\ there are no rebuttals, that's the point. Just links to articles describing the outrage I'm questioning.

CrazyTolradi posted:

So, your argument is that it's fine to be poo poo if other people are poo poo too?

Why are you so obsessed with Mia Freedman?

No I've explicitly said thats the only thing thats been offered that might not be ok

I'm not obsessed with Mia freedman, I'm obsessed with the reasons for angry mobs turning so visciously on people

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Hobo Erotica is either some kind of strange performance artist or is obsessed with Mia Freedman to the point she has a restraining order against him.

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
How about we all discuss Daisy Cousens instead?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So something which isn't getting airtime at the moment is the allegations against Ruby Markwell, the lead singer for "The Football Club" and Triple J Unearthed comp winners. Several people have recently come out reporting that they are victims of sexual abuse/rape perpetrated by Ruby Markwell, which is ironic given the pro-LGBTQIA/rape surivivor bent that the band/song has.

It's mostly on Facebook right now, but the allegations are coming from friends of friends of mine, and while all allegations of rape should be taken seriously, I'd consider this to be coming from fairly authoritative sources. Currently Triple J are doing their best to quash any comments on their pages as they claim they can't have anything defaming on their webzones, but it's also reducing the possible impact this story could have.

It's an extremely hosed up situation and highlights how you can have abuse within same-sex relationships AND a failure for people to speak out against the perpetrators due to lack of support/perceived influence within the LGBTQIA community.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

These arguments don't make sense. Surely there must be a third way of understanding politics.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am the sensible man affording a thread on a dead gay forum angry mob status

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JBP posted:

I am the sensible man affording a thread on a dead gay forum angry mob status

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Actually looks like it was purged from facebook, or I was blocked from the pages because I liked a certain status

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Hobo Erotica posted:

She raised $10k for charity?

Come on man.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

There are no rebuttals at this point, just links to politics I don't understand.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If the Mia Freedman had done absolutely nothing wrong at any point in her life she'd still deserve a horrible death for spawning the poo poo that has occurred in this thread. Shut the gently caress up about Mia Freedman (whoever the gently caress that is).

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Lmao

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Periphery posted:

If the Mia Freedman had done absolutely nothing wrong at any point in her life she'd still deserve a horrible death for spawning the poo poo that has occurred in this thread. Shut the gently caress up about Mia Freedman (whoever the gently caress that is).

She owns a media company that peddles her #personalbrand under a banner of fake political nous so shut the gently caress up in general.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

"I don't know who a person is so don't talk about them"

- a seasoned hun letter writer

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

JBP posted:

"I don't know who a person is so don't talk about them"

- a seasoned hun letter writer

I think a write-in hun reader has a lot of strong and sweeping opinions about people they've never met rather than the other way around.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You clearly don't read the hun comments every day because death is certain.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

What about the I love green guide letters podcast

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

So something which isn't getting airtime at the moment is the allegations against Ruby Markwell, the lead singer for "The Football Club" and Triple J Unearthed comp winners. Several people have recently come out reporting that they are victims of sexual abuse/rape perpetrated by Ruby Markwell, which is ironic given the pro-LGBTQIA/rape surivivor bent that the band/song has.

It's mostly on Facebook right now, but the allegations are coming from friends of friends of mine, and while all allegations of rape should be taken seriously, I'd consider this to be coming from fairly authoritative sources. Currently Triple J are doing their best to quash any comments on their pages as they claim they can't have anything defaming on their webzones, but it's also reducing the possible impact this story could have.

It's an extremely hosed up situation and highlights how you can have abuse within same-sex relationships AND a failure for people to speak out against the perpetrators due to lack of support/perceived influence within the LGBTQIA community.

These are some serious allegations and I think Triple J is right not to publish/cover stuff based on some Facebook posts

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

These are some serious allegations and I think Triple J is right not to publish/cover stuff based on some Facebook posts

Wouldn't be the first time. See PWR BTTM.

https://www.facebook.com/TheHardAches/posts/1422637164456656

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Trial by social media is always a fair and fact based process

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Mods please change my name to mia freedman sex tape

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bogan King posted:

Mods please change my name to (((mia freedman))) sex tape

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
OTOH all men are rapists and shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Hobo Erotica posted:

What about the I love green guide letters podcast

I do love it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"What can have possessed Mia Freedman to do what she did?" my ex- and current editor Jonathan Green tweeted after RoxaneGaygate had descended. Sophie Cunningham and Gay Alcorn joined him in his bewilderment at this lapse of reason. Ah, the left-liberals we love, with their winsome search for the rational kernel at the heart of social action! Freedman, in the process of launching Mamamia in the US, invited an African-American author in for an interview about her book detailing her complex relationship to food, appetite, her body and much more, and then released memos detailing questions about whether she could get in the lift and describing her as "super morbidly obese".

Why would you look for anything consciously rational in these actions? They’re an obvious psychological defense. Gay is an author capable of writing stylishly, in a number of registers, from the high theoretical and political to the immediate and the personal, and who has gained her position and career by hard work against the adversity of racial oppression, poverty, and the stigma she discusses in Hunger. Freedman, the white daughter of a rich property developer, slid into a career in the glossies and used her elite connections to spin out into Mamamia. She writes and edits drivel. She has assembled a whole media empire as a vast hall of mirrors, reflecting her back from every angle -- and then mused aloud why she has spent years crippled by anxiety.

Rather than examining her life to discover the roots of this existential conditions, she advocates the quick fix of drugs, including the all-purpose Lexapro (one of whose side-effects is listed as "impulsivity". Read the small print). Her bizarre treatment of Gay makes sense when you realise that Gay’s achievements tower over Mia’s, and that part of her much-publicised anxiety may arise from the deep sense that she’s a bit of a fraud. Gay’s very existence annihilates Mia, and trashing her publicly in some pathetic year 11 mean girl schtick is an act of psychic defence. Quite possibly an expensive one. The arguably racist attack on Gay will trash Mamamia's brand in the US, absolutely. If you’re still expecting great thing from it, I have some Channel Ten shares you might be interested in acquiring. Still, a teachable moment, for liberals. Look for the rational motive last, in these circumstances. And maybe dip into Freud’s The Psychopathology of Everyday Life from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm not a rapist. #notallmen are rapists.

• Locked thread