Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

moller posted:

It's almost certainly Ecstatica, but I did notice that everything he said other than "begins with E" applies equally to Alone in the Dark - PC/DOS, barely textured ballmonsters, surprise demons, got a sequel, male/female character selection, fixed cameras.

Although researching how both Ecstatica and AitD did their "backgrounds" it seems Ecstatica used, ehr, "sets" made of environmental objects also rendered in ellipsoids, as opposed to simply flat pre-rendered or drawn backgrounds.

Wasn't Alone in the Dark just low-poly models? Ecstatica was literal balls everywhere

Check out that jacked horse

I only played it a little but it has a really creepy vibe to it, different to the usual survival horror. There's something about the outdoor environment, bright colours and ellipsoids that just doesn't sit right with the surreal nightmarish stuff going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

And yeah, he did lead with "balls" which is generally a 100% Ecstatica ID (unless it's Ballz, I guess.)

I'm pretty sure the monsters in AitD also exploded into a cloud of balls when they died. Balls.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'm pretty sure that bottom pic is still low-poly spheres though? The futuristic ball technology laughs at your primitive triangles and pointy approximations of curves!

Yeah I see what you mean, but it's using a different tech (shaded ellipses) which why the whole thing looks weird, but also looks smooth and runs well (for the time anyway). I think that's why it always sticks out as 'that balls game' in people's minds. That bottom pic is great though, looks like a teacher choking a baby dinosaur

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

baka kaba posted:

I'm pretty sure that bottom pic is still low-poly spheres though? The futuristic ball technology laughs at your primitive triangles and pointy approximations of curves!

Yeah I see what you mean, but it's using a different tech (shaded ellipses) which why the whole thing looks weird, but also looks smooth and runs well (for the time anyway). I think that's why it always sticks out as 'that balls game' in people's minds. That bottom pic is great though, looks like a teacher choking a baby dinosaur

The bottom pic is mostly polygons, that one bit could be a sphere but unless I see it in motion... it almost looks like a circle sprite...

Hard to tell the difference at that resolution :eyepop:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Zeerust posted:

I remember playing this game in an arcade in Portugal in the mid-90s. It was a sidescrolling action game, player 1 was a black-haired guy in a red gi and the player 2 character was a blonde-haired guy in a blue gi.

It had a really Gigeresque level and enemy design, with the level I remember being this facility with monster monster bodies embedded in the walls, and the enemies I remember were women in techno-organic armour. The first boss was some kind of turtle-man in a multi-layered arena where you had to get to his front to deal damage.

I also remember there was a horizontal shmup-style level where you were flying through space Dragonball-style and blowing up monsters.

This has haunted me for about 20 years. :stare:

Yo, for some reason I really wanted to try to figure out what game this is, and I finally did. It's called Thunder Hoop 2 or TH Strikes Back.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/th-strikes-back

It apparently doesn't emulate very well but I found a full playthrough video on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSfqhtAM9a0

It has everything you described - the flashback intro in a lab with the scientist escaping, the red and blue main characters, the techno-organic armor women, the turtle man first boss, the weird Gigeresque poo poo, and the shmup levels.

EDIT: It was developed by a Spanish company called Gaelco which would explain why you had it in Portugal

Pablo Nergigante fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 17, 2017

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yo, for some reason I really wanted to try to figure out what game this is, and I finally did. It's called Thunder Hoop 2 or TH Strikes Back.

It apparently doesn't emulate very well but I found a full playthrough video on Youtube:

It has everything you described - the flashback intro in a lab with the scientist escaping, the red and blue main characters, the techno-organic armor women, the turtle man first boss, the weird Gigeresque poo poo, and the shmup levels.

EDIT: It was developed by a Spanish company called Gaelco which would explain why you had it in Portugal

Holy moley, you National Treasured that poo poo! I've been asking in these threads for almost as long as I've been an SA member. No wonder I couldn't find it, what the F kind of name is Thunder Hoop? Thank you so much!

Turns out my memory was even more accurate than I thought - I was a pretty sensitive kid so I'd assumed the thing where all the enemies popped like gore-balloons was a distortion :stare:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ecstatica looked great really, especially the way everything moved.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Zaphod42 posted:

The bottom pic is mostly polygons, that one bit could be a sphere but unless I see it in motion... it almost looks like a circle sprite...

Hard to tell the difference at that resolution :eyepop:

I can see the edges on that one! But yeah I had to stare at a few Ecstatica screenshots to check they were actual ellipses

Wonder if you can emulate that in 4K

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Wow, it's like goku and contra guy had a space baby! Gonna try emulating this sometime despite the issues.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'm trying to remember the name of a tabletop electronic game I had in the early / mid-80's. The form factor was similar to Tandy tabletop games of the era but I wasn't able to find it in any of the lists I looked at.

You controlled a little guy in a spacesuit as he spacewalked around. you had to avoid enemies, grab a person, and return him/her to your ship. I think in some levels you used the ship and tried to catch them with a grappling claw or something. It was not Defender.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

titties posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a tabletop electronic game I had in the early / mid-80's. The form factor was similar to Tandy tabletop games of the era but I wasn't able to find it in any of the lists I looked at.

You controlled a little guy in a spacesuit as he spacewalked around. you had to avoid enemies, grab a person, and return him/her to your ship. I think in some levels you used the ship and tried to catch them with a grappling claw or something. It was not Defender.

Was it a version of H.E.R.O. ?

From http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tandy/index.html if it's a handheld it's not this LCD Space Rescue because it had different colors?:

impulse 7 effect fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 25, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Pablo Gigante posted:

Wow, what an obscure game and a huge difference from Thunder Hoop 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D_tODj1yTQ

I only mention the first one because it came up in the recommendations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Somewhere there's a website game where you've got a ticketape of coloured dots, and you've got to build a machine/factory to do some objective with those dots. Turn all red dots green, or move all blue dots to the back. Anybody have any idea?

Edit:
I believe I found it. Manufactoria http://www.kongregate.com/games/PleasingFungus/manufactoria

The General fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 26, 2017

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Help me! There was this top-down Famicom shooter where you controled an UFO. There were enemy soldiers and tanks and poo poo, and you could steal them and make them fight for you. Does this ring any bells?

E: It was Field Combat.

Pentaro fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 28, 2017

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
iOS game from around 2012, quite possibly iPad only.

It was an isometric, sci-fi themed puzzler. You controlled a dude who had to collect these shards/orbs of light and plug them into sockets that opened up gates to other levels. Very non-linear/hub-based. Early puzzles simply required you to get from point A to point B while avoiding enemies, later puzzles included manipulating mirrors to get laser beams to unlock stuff, or sliding puzzles to make bridges to get from one place to another. One mechanic I remember was that if enemies were chasing you, you could run towards a sort of "safe zone" -- if they followed you in it would destroy them. Very atmospheric, great ambient soundtrack, highly polished design. Premium game, cost about $4.99.

I've been getting the urge to play it again, but for the life of me I can't remember the name (I thought it might be "Shardlight" or something along those lines, but that's a Wadjet Eye adventure game) and don't see anything like it in my App Store purchases list on either my iPad or iPhone, which leads me to believe it got pulled for whatever reason. If it's not available anywhere I'd still be interested to see if the devs are still around and if they ever produced something else.

Edit: Found it! Tried some random Google image searches and came across it. It's Shardlands! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QjMERk4FoM

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 16, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I'm reading about viruses and stuff on Wikipedia, and feeling nostalgic:
remember an evolution "game" (I don't think there was any real user input, just click "start with random" and watch it run) with the critters being little chains of dots, each "species" a different bright color, on a white background or possibly a black-on-white grid. They'd just wriggle around and you could watch them change length, grow branches, etc. as they evolved. Given the time period I remember it being from (sometime between 2000 and 2004-ish), it was probably Flash-based.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
That's the Game of Life, but Conway, not Parker Bros. AKA Life.

Edit: I didn't know he originally developed it on a Go board and it later moved to computers. That's neat.

moller fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 17, 2017

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

moller posted:

That's the Game of Life, but Conway, not Parker Bros. AKA Life.

Edit: I didn't know he originally developed it on a Go board and it later moved to computers. That's neat.

It's not Conway's. Vaguely similar, but modernized,the one I'm thinking of I'm pretty sure is more than a cellular automaton. The lil' guys actually wriggle around randomly and bump into each other and stuff.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 17, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Delivery McGee posted:

I'm reading about viruses and stuff on Wikipedia, and feeling nostalgic:
remember an evolution "game" (I don't think there was any real user input, just click "start with random" and watch it run) with the critters being little chains of dots, each "species" a different bright color, on a white background or possibly a black-on-white grid. They'd just wriggle around and you could watch them change length, grow branches, etc. as they evolved. Given the time period I remember it being from (sometime between 2000 and 2004-ish), it was probably Flash-based.

This sounds like SimEarth or SimLife, or just some GUI implementation of Conway's. (Cell Fighter, Life32, uhhh IDK)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not the exact game you're looking for, but there's Automata for Android which is pretty nifty.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
This whole time I've been going through Google results for "evolution simulator", and I finally found it on page 5. To be fair, I didn't remember it very well/give a very good description.

Looks like they've continued to work on it, but do have the old versions available (but I don't care enough to dig through them to find the version I had back in the day). Edit: I tried after all, but the oldest versions don't even run on Win10. New one's close enough, though.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 17, 2017

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
An old game like Myst or Riven, but was like $5-10 at Wal-Mart. The case of the game was something like this:

I think it was a keyhole or globe/circle? I remember that the case was definitely fully black, not the art that RIVEN has on it's cover.

The case was also like this:

I remember the first level/puzzle taking you into an old cabin on a distant planet, and you started in a small egg shaped pod or something that you landed in there. The puzzle had you re-arrange books to match up symbol patterns or something, and it unlocked a downstairs area. That's as far as I ever made it.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
The Crystal Key?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
There was an RPG where one quest reward was a "favour" from the leader. You could cash it in early for a fairly decent reward, or hold onto the favour and use it later during diplomatic efforts to stop violence escalating which would lead to a better outcome overall.

I remember that about the quest and nothing else. Quick flashes of what might be involved and it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Andorra posted:

The Crystal Key?

I have been trying to think of this game for years. When I read this it all came back. Thanks!

Edit:
Game is trash and I am sad that I wasted so much time and thought in it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I've asked before and didn't have any luck, but it's still bothering me so I'll try again

Block puzzle game, involved placing colored blocks around a central circular base, reminded me of Klax in that you were meant to make certain colored patterns to score. I played it sometime mid 2003-2004? and PROBABLY got it off of a Computer Gaming World demo disc but it might have just been somewhere on the internet. My brain keeps wanting to call it something like Cyclone but searching that never brings anything up

I hate that I know everything about this stupid game except its name and it's probably nowhere near as fun as my memory makes it out to be but I just want to know!!!

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer
Help - does anybody remember a 90s Mac game where you slowly turn into a human/mantis hybrid? It's a top down RPG. There's one stage where you turn into a giant bee to infiltrate a huge bee hive.

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

I've asked before and didn't have any luck, but it's still bothering me so I'll try again

Block puzzle game, involved placing colored blocks around a central circular base, reminded me of Klax in that you were meant to make certain colored patterns to score. I played it sometime mid 2003-2004? and PROBABLY got it off of a Computer Gaming World demo disc but it might have just been somewhere on the internet. My brain keeps wanting to call it something like Cyclone but searching that never brings anything up

I hate that I know everything about this stupid game except its name and it's probably nowhere near as fun as my memory makes it out to be but I just want to know!!!

Hexic?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Trying to find the name of a game (or group of games?) that I played in grade school on an old Mac. This would have been before '96, though I think they had the same software there the whole time I was in school so older than '91 or so? This is all super vague and has found me nothing on Google so I'm sure I don't actually remember enough to find this anymore.

Edutainment game, probably, since it was in school.
There was one part of it where you would be going through a maze chased by a thing (a troll?). I think you were solving problems (math problems?) in certain spaces. The maze was overlaid on a house I think, or maybe it depended on the level. Could have been going into the basement of the house for the maze to show. Maze was made out of squares connected together though not necessarily on all sides since, of course, maze. Harder levels had more squares. I want to say there's a picture of the outside of the house on the left side of the screen while you're going through it, may have been at sunset?

Might be an unrelated game, might have been in the same package, a game where you solve math problems with race cars. Might have been division only (or division and multiplication). If this leads nowhere I don't care too much about it since I'm just trying to find the above game and thought this might be a part of it or helpful.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

There was an RPG where one quest reward was a "favour" from the leader. You could cash it in early for a fairly decent reward, or hold onto the favour and use it later during diplomatic efforts to stop violence escalating which would lead to a better outcome overall.

I remember that about the quest and nothing else. Quick flashes of what might be involved and it's bugging the poo poo out of me.

This happens in Fallout New Vegas with The King but I'm guessing that's not it. What kind of game was it? 3d? Isometric? First person?

Phantasium posted:

Trying to find the name of a game (or group of games?) that I played in grade school on an old Mac. This would have been before '96, though I think they had the same software there the whole time I was in school so older than '91 or so? This is all super vague and has found me nothing on Google so I'm sure I don't actually remember enough to find this anymore.

There was one part of it where you would be going through a maze chased by a thing (a troll?). I think you were solving problems (math problems?) in certain spaces. The maze was overlaid on a house I think, or maybe it depended on the level. Could have been going into the basement of the house for the maze to show. Maze was made out of squares connected together though not necessarily on all sides since, of course, maze. Harder levels had more squares. I want to say there's a picture of the outside of the house on the left side of the screen while you're going through it, may have been at sunset?

Might be an unrelated game, might have been in the same package, a game where you solve math problems with race cars. Might have been division only (or division and multiplication). If this leads nowhere I don't care too much about it since I'm just trying to find the above game and thought this might be a part of it or helpful.

At least one of those sounds like Math Blaster a bit to me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

aniviron posted:

Nah, the ones from '83 and '87 are too old looking to be the one I'm thinking of, and the one from '93 is too advanced, if that makes sense.

I also don't remember a space motif at all.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Are any of them the Super Solvers games made by the Learning Company?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Are any of them the Super Solvers games made by the Learning Company?

Checked the ones I could find on Mobygames, and it doesn't appear to be. I don't think there was a sidescroller portion to any of it, though don't take that as a hard fact.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

euthy posted:

Help - does anybody remember a 90s Mac game where you slowly turn into a human/mantis hybrid? It's a top down RPG. There's one stage where you turn into a giant bee to infiltrate a huge bee hive.

Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

aniviron posted:

This happens in Fallout New Vegas with The King but I'm guessing that's not it. What kind of game was it? 3d? Isometric? First person?

gently caress me, it was Vegas. :v:

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Also, if you like Entomorph, check out Al-Qadim: https://www.gog.com/game/alqadim_the_genies_curse

al-azad
May 28, 2009

80s arcade game with vector graphics. In one part of the game you're playing a fixed shooter kind of like Konami's Gyruss. After taking out the mothership you land on a planet to a play a platformer where you're trying to find the core to place a time bomb which you have to escape before it blows up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

al-azad posted:

80s arcade game with vector graphics. In one part of the game you're playing a fixed shooter kind of like Konami's Gyruss. After taking out the mothership you land on a planet to a play a platformer where you're trying to find the core to place a time bomb which you have to escape before it blows up.

Major Havoc?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Major Havoc?

Ah yes, what a weird title for this kind of game. It's also really neat that they had a breakout mini-game between levels to earn extra lives. I guess Namco hadn't yet patented arcade loading screens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Phantasium posted:

I'm thinking this is an entry in the Munchers series? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RtRykIE_1A

Phantasium posted:

Turbo Math Facts